PDA

View Full Version : Should Venus play more doubles...

henree
Jun 12th, 2006, 04:42 AM
I really think so. I think part of the reason why she was serving at such a high 1st serve percentage last Wimby, was because she developed a a strong rthyhm from serving in doubles. Back in 2000 & 2001 when Venus was playing doubles, I think that partly contributed to those single slam victories.

Reuchlin
Jun 12th, 2006, 04:56 AM
she's too injury prone to be playing doubles. At Wimbledon, with all the rain, it would seem like a pain.

dreamgoddess099
Jun 12th, 2006, 05:24 AM
Definately, playing doubles helps both sisters game a lot, it also seems to put an extra pep in their step. They really enjoy it and I love seeing them play together on court.

Kenny
Jun 12th, 2006, 07:00 AM
No question.

Y E S.

Couver
Jun 12th, 2006, 08:28 AM
I'd love to see her team up with Mark Knowles again at Wimbledon. They seemed to have fun last year.

FedExpress
Jun 12th, 2006, 11:07 AM
More doubles? Did she play doubles in the last few months? :scratch:

Viktymise
Jun 12th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Well its hard to say, no doubt it would help her game with her volleys and her serve and return off the mans serve but she is injury prone and risks getting injured but i think she will play Mixed at Wimbledon this yr but im not sure who with

akosijepoy
Jun 12th, 2006, 12:15 PM
I'm always worried when she plays doubles. At her current situation I think too much playing will cause more injuries. But if it's mixed doubles why not. it's only two real sets plus tie break for third right? So i guess for mixed it's aiite

Paneru
Jun 12th, 2006, 02:48 PM
Venus IMO, won't be entertaining any ideas
of playing doubles until Serena were to return.

As for Wimbledon, she may very well
play mixed doubles again. I'm sure Mark
will ask her if she wants to. And the extra
serving practice plus the volley work is always
a plus, especially now coming off of an injury that
has prohibited her from much serve practice. And help
her to make some more of those key volleys she was
missing in RG.

We'll see.

Doubles: No.
Mixed Doubles: Possibly Yes.

tenn_ace
Jun 12th, 2006, 02:51 PM
Alicia and Venus would be a great combination I think

The_Pov
Jun 12th, 2006, 03:01 PM
No she should focus on her singles, she'll do better that way, a pack of rolos told me.

vwfan
Jun 12th, 2006, 03:02 PM
I'd love to see her playing mixed doubles at Wimbledon to get some more on court preparation for the later rounds in singles. Since she doesn't do a warmup event, playing doubles is helpful. She has played doubles almost every year that she went to the finals, except I think 2003. Besides, its fun and helps her volley and reflexes at the net!

In addition, I think she should play a few smaller tournaments. Why?

1)to get more matchplay without the pressure of having to play her best,
2)to continue to work out kinks in her game during actual match play
3)to get a better sense of the up and coming players, many of whom she has lost to in the past year
4)to get match tough and used to closing out games increasing her break point conversion rate and to closing out matches, particularly on her serve and to
5)start winning again!

Il Primo!
Jun 12th, 2006, 03:06 PM
I'd love to see her playing mixed doubles at Wimbledon to get some more on court preparation for the later rounds in singles. Since she doesn't do a warmup event, playing doubles is helpful. She has played doubles almost every year that she went to the finals, except I think 2003. Besides, its fun and helps her volley and reflexes at the net!

2)to continue to work out kinks in her game during action match play
3)to get a better sense of the up and coming players, many of whom she has lost to in the past year
4)to get match tough and used to closing out games increasing her break point conversion rate and matches, particularly on her serve and to
5)start winning again!

I do completely agree :yeah:

Paneru
Jun 12th, 2006, 03:10 PM

2)to continue to work out kinks in her game during action match play
4)to get match tough and used to closing out games increasing her break point conversion rate and matches, particularly on her serve and to
5)start winning again!

Being as injury proned as Venus is,
I don't think that would aide much at all.

IIRC, #3, many of those losses came
at certain specific times that weren't good
either physically or form-wise for Venus.

Hence, the talk of her main thing
in those matches, "errors".

Nice in theory, but probably
won't happen in reality.

vwfan
Jun 12th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Well, losing in big events to players she shouldn't be losing to certainly doesn't help rebuild a critical aspect of her game: CONFIDENCE!

She is missing her shots, partly because she is not completely confident in the state of her game. Perhaps that is due in part to injury, partly due to her high risk game, and partly due to her lack of match play. All together can be fairly summed up to produce a dent in her confidence.

If she is confident, she can trust herself and her shots more. I say get some more matches under her belt, play against some of these young guns, and start winning like its second nature and we'll see it improve her performance in big tournaments.

It is tough to come off a long delay and go deep in a Grand Slam tournament. But she did! But she also could have gone all the way. It is within her reach.

lynch79
Jun 12th, 2006, 03:57 PM
Yes, she should. With Martina Hingis! :hearts: I can dream, right?

Maryamator
Jun 12th, 2006, 06:34 PM
she should play with serena wen they are both really fit i think.. great doubles team..

V-MAC
Jun 12th, 2006, 07:03 PM
Well I really hope she at least plays in the Mixed Doubles at Wimbledon again this year. I think it really helped her out last year to sharpen up her game for the singles. I think she will team up again with Mark too ;)

darrinbaker00
Jun 12th, 2006, 07:07 PM
If Venus plans on playing Fed Cup, then playing doubles with either Shenay Perry or Jamea Jackson at Wimbledon would make sense on two levels.

LUIS9
Jun 12th, 2006, 07:10 PM
Well I really hope she at least plays in the Mixed Doubles at Wimbledon again this year. I think it really helped her out last year to sharpen up her game for the singles. I think she will team up again with Mark too ;)

Who Phillipoussis? Really? Cool two giants who like to volley. How far did the make it? Mark isn't playing as well as he used to, I think Max is a better partner however, he's probably taken.

Marshmallow
Jun 12th, 2006, 07:13 PM
I think so. Could help her volleys, and she could become more match-tight with the extra matches. Obviously, she shouldn't give 100% she'll need some left over for singles.

V-MAC
Jun 12th, 2006, 07:14 PM
Who Phillipoussis? Really? Cool two giants who like to volley. How far did the make it? Mark isn't playing as well as he used to, I think Max is a better partner however, he's probably taken.

:lol: um...no, not the "Scud". Mark Knowles, they teamed up together last year and lost in a tight 3rd round match to Kim C and one of the Rochus brothers if I am correct :confused:

Viktymise
Jun 12th, 2006, 07:20 PM
:lol: um...no, not the "Scud". Mark Knowles, they teamed up together last year and lost in a tight 3rd round match to Kim C and one of the Rochus brothers if I am correct :confused:
Ye they did it was 1 of the best doubles matches of last yrs wimbledon shame i never saw it tho but i have heard :)

WF4EVER
Jun 12th, 2006, 07:26 PM
Darrin, I sincerely hope Venus has no intention of playing FedCup.

Second, I would be surprised if Venus doesn't sign up for mixed doubles at Wimby. Didn't she say she wants to win the other Slam titles that she doesn't have? I didn't check to see if she'd won the mixed at Wimby already; this is based on her playing with Mark Knowles last year. But as far as women's doubles are concerned she has already won all the Slams with Serena so there's no need to go there if she doesn't have to. If she needs match play I'm sure plenty male players would be anxious to team up with her. Frankly, Justin Gimelstob and Venus had great success as doubles partners. Wish I knew what happened to ruin that relationship, but I think he'd be a good partner for her since they've played and won before.

Carmen Mairena
Jun 12th, 2006, 07:52 PM
She's too good to need doubles to improve! :yeah: