PDA

View Full Version : How easy is it to meet players at tournaments?

RobTheRusski
Jun 12th, 2006, 12:51 AM
I'm always reading stories on here or Men's Tennis Forums about people running into players at tournaments, and getting autographs, and even having conversations with them...so it makes me wonder, how easy is it to see them at the tournaments? I've only been to one professional match in my life,(2005's mixed doubles final w/ Mary pierce at Wimby) but I've got tickets to the YEC in Madrid, and I'm wondering, is there a good chance for me to meet some players?

Reuchlin
Jun 12th, 2006, 12:59 AM
Really depends what event. However, if you've got a sharp eye you will prob. pick out the odd player 30+ ranked player just walking around, or going from court to court. Most will be too much in a hurry to talk to you (although most stop and sign). I guess it really depends on their mood and your approach.

RobTheRusski
Jun 12th, 2006, 01:08 AM
well, I imagine the YEC will be the toughest, only 8 players to see there.. grr

Reuchlin
Jun 12th, 2006, 01:10 AM
well, I imagine the YEC will be the toughest, only 8 players to see there.. grr
LOL

eck
Jun 12th, 2006, 02:14 AM
I was at OzOpen for the past two years: I saw Schiavone, Schynder, Vaidisova and Dulko walking around. :)

Drake1980
Jun 12th, 2006, 02:22 AM
It all depends on the Tournament but the YEC might be kind of tough for you.

Geisha
Jun 12th, 2006, 02:26 AM
The Rogers Cup was easy - lmao.

I spoke to Navratilova while she was practicing. I spoke to Tracy Austin. Hantuchova was in front of my eyes, as was Sugiyama. There were plenty. Ivanovic and Vaidisova practiced together two feet in front of me.

Reuchlin
Jun 12th, 2006, 02:33 AM
The Rogers Cup was easy - lmao.

I spoke to Navratilova while she was practicing. I spoke to Tracy Austin. Hantuchova was in front of my eyes, as was Sugiyama. There were plenty. Ivanovic and Vaidisova practiced together two feet in front of me.
The, the rogers cup is great with its practice courts.

partbrit
Jun 12th, 2006, 03:58 AM
Charleston is very open, too. Some of the top players practice in the stadium before it is in use for competition, and you can sit on the front row and watch them. You can also see them close up on the practice courts (last year, practice times were posted every day, but this year, you usually had to just check them out), and many of the earlier rounds are played on outer courts and player access is pretty easy after the matches. Of course, there are autograph sessions, too; I find those good for taking photos. And sometimes there are interviews with players.

This year, I took along photos I had taken of some of my favorite players last year, and had them signed. A couple of the players--Medina Garrigues and Stosur--really liked their photos and wanted to talk about them. Two other players who were especially nice to meet this year were Dechy and Castano.

JDLover
Jun 12th, 2006, 04:17 AM
Sydney and Canberra when it was on are really easy to meet players and to talk to them, even when you go shopping in city when tennis is on you can usually catch players there, at the Homebush complex all u have to do is go to practise courts and watch them and they usually come over to you and sign stuff as well as if you ask them nicley they will take pics with you. I mean seriously it is their job I mean we are paying them with ticket prices so they usually do it.

Players I have had problems with though are Justine Henin-Hardenne, Monica Seles, Justine was very rude she said no to all kids and stormed off the practise court and with Monica, I was there with one other person and I said to her Monica can you sign my book, she looked and said No Not Now and just walked away. I was like what it was only two autogrpahs, yes I know she is a huge player but only two to sign and she didnt do it left bad taste in my mouth.

Friendliest players I have met are Franny she is so funny when you talk to her and she loves soccer which is cool, Kimmy once she gets talking its so hard to get her to stop she is so open and friendly, Lindsay she was amazing really took time to talk and sign and pose for photos.

Samyboy
Jun 12th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Stay in the player´s hotel like me :p If you are lucky like me the players even talk to you!
But well, even at the tournament it´s not that difficult to meet the player´s. If your nice and polite and don´t bother them they are very nice to you, too. At least most of the time ;)

jeanpierre
Jun 12th, 2006, 12:16 PM
I have went to cinema with some players from the tournment of Gaz de France...

gsm
Jun 12th, 2006, 12:55 PM
really like hearing storys about encounters with players, thanks guys!

i have not been to a wta tournament, but went to the adelaide atp tourny this year and stood next to molik in a busy food court (she is HUGE!!!)

maybe one day i will chat to a player...

SloKid
Jun 12th, 2006, 01:05 PM
Smaller tournaments are good for meeting players, the atmosphere is more cosy.

At the tournament in Slovenia players are fans kind of mix at the complex :lol:
It's easy to bump into them.
I meet Klara Koukalova, she was really nice.
AIMG gave me a bit of a nasty look, when I took a pic of her warming up for her doubles match. :tape:

rrfnpump
Jun 12th, 2006, 01:09 PM
In Berlin really easy :p
they are walking around like normal visitors and you would always bump into them

TheItalianStyle
Jun 12th, 2006, 01:13 PM
I think that meeting players at a TierI is easy, too...
In Rome at least is prettypretty easy...
You can see players walkin around, watching other matches, practising opposite to you, booking a court...it's pretty easy, exspecially during the qualies...

~Carsten~
Jun 12th, 2006, 01:54 PM
In Berlin really easy :p
they are walking around like normal visitors and you would always bump into them
jep! :) I was really surprised about that! But it was cool, you have there so many chances to talk to them.

tenn_ace
Jun 12th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Pilot Pen is easy IMO

auntie janie
Jun 12th, 2006, 03:00 PM
During the early rounds of small Challengers, it's incredibly easy to meet players. In fact it's almost impossible NOT to meet them! You and some players, and maybe the odd parent or coach or two, might be the only ones watching a match. And most of them are relaxed and friendly, since they're not famous (yet).

-sugi-
Jun 12th, 2006, 03:13 PM
It was quite easy also at Roland Garros

The friendliest players I ever met are Anabel Medina, Camille Pin, Shinobu Asagoe, Anne Kremer and Sofia Arvidsson. Un-friendly, well I didn't ask but my friend saw Anna-Lena sitting on a bench and no one was looking at her and asked her to sign a program and she said no. I guess players do have their off days and I didn't really care for my friend because I don't like Groenfeld much anyway.

I think it is harder to speak to players at indoor tournaments, at Antwerp there are no practice courts and just two match courts but you can be lucky to see them sitting at the back of the smaller court sometimes, I spoke to Daniilidou and Benesova was friendly to some children who recognised her :)