PDA

View Full Version : Psychology Undergrads

JackWalker
Jun 11th, 2006, 08:38 PM
I am an undergraduate at a university of california majoring in psychology. i am going to be a junior in a few months and wanted some advice. i am stressing about what field to branch out on and all the steps it would take to get there. i want a field where i can interact with people, i can set my own hours, it is somehting i enjoy to do, and can make a good salary. can someone offer me some advice. i have lately been thinking about io psyhology (industrial) because it seems to fit my goals. thanks

controlfreak
Jun 12th, 2006, 12:50 AM
what about sports psychology... seeing as you registered on a tennis site...

JackWalker
Jun 12th, 2006, 04:41 AM
sports psychology seems awesome but i think patients would be far and few between right? i mean, you can ONLY work with professional athletes

Reuchlin
Jun 12th, 2006, 04:52 AM
sports psychology seems awesome but i think patients would be far and few between right? i mean, you can ONLY work with professional athletes
I think that if you were a sport psychologist, you wouldn't JUST be a sport psychologist. And with regards to your clients: there are plenty of amateur/jr athletes that use sports psychologists.

JackWalker
Jun 12th, 2006, 05:03 AM
well yeah, any type of psychologist has to have the basics of human psychology down. what i meant by the patient thing was that in industrial psychology you work with companies for a certain amount of time and therefore have a patient for a certain amount of time which results in high and guranteed high compensation.

besides in io i think you could do your reports at home, no?

TF Chipmunk
Jun 12th, 2006, 07:07 AM
You're at a UC? Which one? :)

Nicjac
Jun 12th, 2006, 08:36 AM
Well, try work and organizational psychology.

Lots of interaction, good opportunities to work as a freelancer, also good salary if employed.

Also, the field is rather big and offers a lot of diversification. If interested in well-being specialize on stress, burnout, wok-life balance, job satisfaction etc. Other interesting fields are group work, management, leadership, training, personality, motivation, coaching, and work analysis.

JackWalker
Jun 12th, 2006, 07:13 PM
yeah. i think organazational is the one for me. right now what should my focus be regarding my career. i still have two years left to get my undergrad degree so im thinking to focus on that and so as good as possible. but what can i do to get closer to becoming involved in organizational psych?

Helen Lawson
Jun 12th, 2006, 07:23 PM
It really depends on what you define as "good money." Unless you get a PhD or one of thos PsyD things, you won't be making big money with that ba or bs degree alone, you'll have to go to grad school for something else if you don't want to go the PhD/PsyD route. The major gives you good reading, analytical, and writing skills, but the degree itself is useless from a strictly financial standpoint.

JackWalker
Jun 12th, 2006, 07:32 PM
im defenitely planning to go to grad school. my college degree will allow me access to some jobs but it wont make me big money. im taking a year off after i graduate college. im going to work so i can save money to get an apartment while i attend grad school. i want to go out of state. maybe chicago, portland, or boston. grad school will take about five years i think but it will be great because i will be studying something i like and i will be living on my own for the first time in the city which is going to be great

Nicjac
Jun 12th, 2006, 07:32 PM
yeah. i think organazational is the one for me. right now what should my focus be regarding my career. i still have two years left to get my undergrad degree so im thinking to focus on that and so as good as possible. but what can i do to get closer to becoming involved in organizational psych?

Start with attending lectures in the field. Start with some basic reading - if it leaves you asking for more, you are in. Then get internships, scientific or outside to let you get a feel for it. Who is the Prof at your University for that field?

It really depends on what you define as "good money." Unless you get a PhD or one of thos PsyD things, you won't be making big money with that ba or bs degree alone, you'll have to go to grad school for something else if you don't want to go the PhD/PsyD route. The major gives you good reading, analytical, and writing skills, but the degree itself is useless from a strictly financial standpoint.

Spot on. As usual. Grad school is a minimum requirement.

bis2806
Jun 12th, 2006, 08:02 PM
Which UC are you at?

JackWalker
Jun 12th, 2006, 08:53 PM
i go to uc riverside. beside focusing on doing well my last two years, i will:

"Start with attending lectures in the field. Start with some basic reading - if it leaves you asking for more, you are in. Then get internships, scientific or outside to let you get a feel for it."