PDA

View Full Version : The WTA players Top 10 Interviews

spiceboy
Jun 11th, 2006, 07:36 PM
http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_tennis/2006/06/the_womens_top_.html

The Women's Top 10 Interviews

PARIS -- Reshuffling the top 10 women by interview:

1. Sveta Kuznetsova (Russia): There are times you feel like she's on a couch in the therapist's office and you're sitting in on the session, but that makes such a great interview. She'll crack you up, but she's more than just a joker. You want to know something? Just ask. She's smart and, aside from her occasional court lapses, she's very confident with herself.

2. Lindsay Davenport (USA): The elder stateswoman of the women's tour is capable of taking you through a match point by point or telling you about her dogs. She once told me with complete candor how she was affected by her parents' divorce. She's an eminently interesting interview and a darn fine human being.

3. Amelie Mauresmo (France): She occasionally flashes a smile and sense of humor, but her stock in trade in interviews is her ability to dissect a match. If you like talking tennis, you'll have an immediate link with her.

4. Kim Clijsters (Belgium): Ask her, "How are you doing?" and she'll give you a 5,000-word answer. Talkative and maybe too talkative at times. The only interview she met she didn't like was the one that wanted to know about her break-up with Lleyton Hewitt. Otherwise, connects beautifully with reporters.

5. Justine Henin-Hardenne (Belgium): She's No. 5 but that doesn't mean she's a mediocre interview. She's very good, but also very serious. I'd like to see her open up with an anecdote or a joke, but you know that's not going to happen.

6. Nadia Petrova (Russia): As she has gotten over the nerves that inhibited her Grand Slams earlier in her career, she's emerged as a pretty good interview. It's probably a useless generalization, but I find most Russians and Eastern Europeans to be great talkers. She's no exception.

7. Maria Sharapova (Russia): Her interviews have a sort of Public Relations 101 feel to them and she has a few interview habits I don't like, such as the way she airily dismisses some questions as if they are too stupid to deal with. At least you can hold a conversation with her, and that's a lot more than you can say about approaching her coach/father.

8. Elena Dementieva (Russia): She's trying. There isn't an evil bone in her body, but she never seems totally comfortable in interviews.

9. Mary Pierce (France*): She's into that nether world thing where life is too good to let bad tennis irritate her. Talking to Mary now feels like you're interviewing someone in Golden Gate Park during the Summer of Love.

10. Patty Schnyder (Switzerland): She's not terribly interesting and she's not terribly uncooperative. She just "is" and that gets her the No. 10 spot.

* We're still not sure if she's French, Canadian or American.

spiceboy
Jun 11th, 2006, 07:38 PM
mmmmmmmmmmm some players missing in this list...

Where's Martina H adorable bitching?

And Serena's busy life working on thousand different things at the same time?

And opinionated Martina N?

E. Blackadder
Jun 11th, 2006, 07:50 PM
Actually, Justine does often make a joke

It was in French, but she said she "digested" the Aus Open final well, and then started laughing "oh wait, that's probably not a good choice of words" :p

E. Blackadder
Jun 11th, 2006, 07:51 PM
mmmmmmmmmmm some players missing in this list...

Where's Martina H adorable bitching?

And Serena's busy life working on thousand different things at the same time?

And opinionated Martina N?

They "reshuffled" top 10 players, so only top10 players on the list

UDACHi
Jun 11th, 2006, 07:54 PM
That's pretty cool.

spiceboy
Jun 11th, 2006, 07:56 PM
They "reshuffled" top 10 players, so only top10 players on the list

Thanks E. Black, missed that ;-)

E. Blackadder
Jun 11th, 2006, 08:00 PM
Thanks E. Black, missed that ;-)

U can call me "Blackie" :p

Slumpsova
Jun 11th, 2006, 08:42 PM
Serena isn't even in the top 10 which i think it's not true :o

mc8114
Jun 11th, 2006, 08:48 PM
Love Lindsay's interview, but Martina's, Serena's and Venus' are very good as well, 'cause thery're funny and kind of bitchy

mike/topgun
Jun 11th, 2006, 08:51 PM
2. Lindsay Davenport (USA): The elder stateswoman of the women's tour is capable of taking you through a match point by point or telling you about her dogs. She once told me with complete candor how she was affected by her parents' divorce. She's an eminently interesting interview and a darn fine human being.
:worship:
Lindsay is a great interview - just look at her statements from 1998-2000:p

The Daviator
Jun 11th, 2006, 09:19 PM
Lindsay :yeah:

itzhak
Jun 11th, 2006, 09:37 PM
Anastasia's interviews can be hilarious, especially when she is angry...

SvetaPleaseWin.
Jun 11th, 2006, 10:32 PM
sveta :worship:
her interviews make me love her even more :)

anlavalle
Jun 11th, 2006, 11:32 PM
I love Amelie interviews, this is a little of it

Best exchange, women

Question to Mauresmo at the Italian Open: "Who are you in love with now?"

Answer, with pitch-perfect comedic timing: "I'm really in love with an Italian journalist."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

stevos
Jun 11th, 2006, 11:43 PM
Does anyone know a site with good interviews, preferably hingis or davenport or serenas old ones? dont know where to find any.

partbrit
Jun 11th, 2006, 11:44 PM

Answer, with pitch-perfect comedic timing: "I'm really in love with an Italian journalist."

I'd not heard that before! Amelie is funny. Right after she won the Rogers Cup a couple of years ago, she told an interviewer she liked playing in Montreal because "they speak French there." The interviewer reminded her she was on her way to the U.S. Open, where they don't speak French. "Well," she said, "they speak French in Paris, and that hasn't done much for me."

anlavalle
Jun 11th, 2006, 11:50 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: yeah she is so funny and that of the italian open was in 2004

Billabong
Jun 12th, 2006, 12:24 AM
Martina:worship:

cartmancop
Jun 12th, 2006, 12:29 AM
the funniest ones are from back a few years ago, with Hingis, Lindsay, Venus, Serena, etc. all talking about each other. It was never bad or anything, but they always had funny & interesting things to say. MH's interviews are always great. Venus & Lindsay really aren't as talkative about other players as they once were IMO... (trying to stay out of trouble :devil: Martina is content to say what she thinks still :)

strawberry.babou
Jun 12th, 2006, 01:11 AM
I love Amelie interviews, this is a little of it

Best exchange, women

:lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: Do you have a video of that?

anlavalle
Jun 12th, 2006, 02:26 AM
no sorry i wish i have :lol: