PDA

View Full Version : Can People Control Their Height?

JackWalker
Jun 11th, 2006, 08:34 PM
i am a 5'8 19 year old guy. both of my parents are 5'7. i was wondering if there was anything i could do, any excersices, any medications, any stretching, just anything, i mean anything, to gain a few inches to my height. any answers are highly appreciated. thanks

AceTennisGrrrl
Jun 11th, 2006, 08:34 PM
Be happy with what you have :)

mapaliey
Jun 11th, 2006, 08:54 PM
no you can't.....

mapaliey
Jun 11th, 2006, 08:55 PM
if u're man...u only grow once.....
if u're woman u can grow untill 25 year but not much...

marypower
Jun 11th, 2006, 09:03 PM
Actually, I do believe here in the US there are medications in which you can take. I was asking my AP Biology tacher about that :scratch: Let me check into in for you.

JackWalker
Jun 11th, 2006, 09:04 PM
yeah, please ask your bio teacher, thanks a lot. and if men only grow once, when do they stop?

meyerpl
Jun 11th, 2006, 09:04 PM
I suggest you look through the pages toward the back of various magazines and tabloids for small print-ads promising that YOU CAN BECOME TALLER! Regardless of how outlandish their claims seem, have faith! Send whatever amount of money they ask for and faithfully take the pills, apply the creams and do the excercises.
Incidently, you don't have to settle for a small penis either.

marypower
Jun 11th, 2006, 09:06 PM
http://www.gainheight.com/
http://www.betaller.com/howtogrowtaller.htm

Well I couldn't find anyhing to back up my teachers arguments; however, I did find a few links that siad you could grow taller by doing special excercises :shrug:

rebel_ffighter
Jun 11th, 2006, 09:21 PM
Be happy with what you have :)

agree!greediness is never good...

dementieva's fan
Jun 11th, 2006, 10:19 PM
Wear high shoes :p

TdF_DBLL
Jun 11th, 2006, 10:49 PM
i am a 5'8 19 year old guy. both of my parents are 5'7. i was wondering if there was anything i could do, any excersices, any medications, any stretching, just anything, i mean anything, to gain a few inches to my height. any answers are highly appreciated. thanks

you can take medication, but don't do it when you don't need it. I'm 5'8 i'm 20 now and stopped growing last year. Once you stopped growing you can't do anything about it, the medication only works when you're still growing.

I was a very small kid and so my parents and I did a check up, because they can make x-ray pictures of your hand, and tell you how many height you will gain. So they said I would be between 5'8 and 5'10 so I decidied not to anything about it.

Rollo
Jun 12th, 2006, 12:27 AM
no you can't.....

Sorry-not true. In China there is a medical procedure where they do sometihng like break your legs and insert a device that stretches your legs. :eek:

Here ya go:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/china/story/0,7369,1107283,00.html

No Name Face
Jun 12th, 2006, 12:32 AM
i dont think so. i'm taller than both my parents too..consider yourself lucky that you're taller than them.

controlfreak
Jun 12th, 2006, 12:40 AM
No, but you can use your height to your advantage by building yourself a house with loads of really low doorways.

mapaliey
Jun 12th, 2006, 01:42 AM
Sorry-not true. In China there is a medical procedure where they do sometihng like break your legs and insert a device that stretches your legs. :eek:

Here ya go:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/china/story/0,7369,1107283,00.html

but u can't control your height......
man only grow once and it faster but when it stop...there's nothing u can do....yes...medicine works for 8 untill 17 years old...
please don't break yor legs..if something happen...u can't use your legs anymore......

JackWalker
Jun 12th, 2006, 01:51 AM
thanks so much for the links, but they dont seem very creditable. i really dont want to have my legs broken, is there any word out there from doctors or scientists on whether or not it is possible?

ps. maria sharapova is 6'2 and her mom and dad are really short. has tennis helped her grow?

Reuchlin
Jun 12th, 2006, 02:06 AM
yeah, please ask your bio teacher, thanks a lot. and if men only grow once, when do they stop?

darrinbaker00
Jun 12th, 2006, 03:26 AM
Human growth hormone is used to counteract dwarfism, and I remember seeing a news report on some non-dwarf kids growing with the aid of HGH. Please. please, PLEASE talk to your physician first, though.

tennispro105
Jun 12th, 2006, 04:04 AM
Human growth hormone is used to to help people, typically those with genetic or birth disorders, grow taller. it's in the form of an injection and it's quite painful. *yeah- i have a genetic disorder and had to take it almost every day for 3 years. i'm only 4'11 today all that only helped me get maybe 3 inches taller than i am now. i am grateful to be taller but i still hated taking the shots every day* if you're done growing, i'm pretty sure it just acts like steroids... which it does either way i believe. i definitely don't think it's worth it if you aren't significantly shorter than most people. considering your age and assuming you are even still growing, i think it would only give you an inch or two at the most if you're lucky. plus, unless you have a genetic disorder and it's prescribed, you can get in trouble for doping in any sports you may participate in, and insurance won't pay for it. talk to your doctor!

JackWalker
Jun 12th, 2006, 05:06 AM
injections for a few years every day seems too much for just wanting to gain a few inches. i keep thinking that streching once ot twice a day helps you grow, am i completely wrong here? how about milk?

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jun 12th, 2006, 06:04 AM
I actually tried some "acupuncture" soles not long ago... sad to say, I quit after a while because it was uncomfortable.

But I think I will try it again today... might gain a few inches more (I'm 5' 10 by the way and want to be 6' 2").

They said it works... one lady aged 25 used it and grew from 5' 9" to 6' 1".

Rohin.
Jun 12th, 2006, 06:08 AM
wear stilts ;)

Kenny
Jun 12th, 2006, 06:36 AM
I know there are very painful stretching devices for little people.

However, seriously -- be comfortable with what you are. You're tall enough. Seriously, there are it's advantages to being of average height.

JackWalker
Jun 12th, 2006, 06:55 AM
can you talk more about the acupuncture soles? seems interesting

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jun 12th, 2006, 07:11 AM
can you talk more about the acupuncture soles? seems interesting

Well... they give you a pair of soles where you place them in your shoes and then walk everyday with it. The soles are not smooth - they have "bumps and humps" on them. It's quite painful to walk with them (for the first few times that is). After that, you'll be used to them.

I had wore them for about 15 days before I stopped using them. They are quite painful to use. On the effectiveness, I'm not sure because they mentioned that you can only see the effect in 2-3 months.

But I give it another go this time, wearing it all the time. The effect might be faster... only about a month I think.

Strangely though, even though my height did not increase, "the thing" did grew a bit larger than usual... wonder why :lol:

Kenny
Jun 12th, 2006, 07:17 AM
Well... they give you a pair of soles where you place them in your shoes and then walk everyday with it. The soles are not smooth - they have "bumps and humps" on them. It's quite painful to walk with them (for the first few times that is). After that, you'll be used to them.

I had wore them for about 15 days before I stopped using them. They are quite painful to use. On the effectiveness, I'm not sure because they mentioned that you can only see the effect in 2-3 months.

But I give it another go this time, wearing it all the time. The effect might be faster... only about a month I think.

Strangely though, even though my height did not increase, "the thing" did grew a bit larger than usual... wonder why :lol:

the thing?? huh?
:confused:

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jun 12th, 2006, 08:30 AM
That Guy Thing... ;)

Brαm
Jun 12th, 2006, 12:31 PM
21I stopped growing when I was 15 :shrug:

mapaliey
Jun 12th, 2006, 01:53 PM
enough rest...
enough sport
not hard exercise everyday...give your body breath... clean yor blood make u 3 cm more... but it's for sick people......

Reuchlin
Jun 12th, 2006, 03:23 PM
I stopped growing when I was 15 :shrug:
It really depends on the person. Some people have a growth spurt and don't grow much after. Offiicially EVERYone stops growing at 21 though.

MinnyGophers
Jun 12th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Jump. A lot. It sounds really simple, but look at basketball players. Of course genetics plays an important role in human development, but if you condition your body, you will grow, but it works especially if you're in your growing years.
I jump all the time, playing basketball. My brother also played basketball, and generally jumps around a lot. I'm not talking about a little jump, I'm talking about jumping as high as you possibly can and stretching your body upward as much as possible, in the same manner as if you're trying to dunk a basketball.

We used to put a little mark against the wall up high, and jumped up to try to reach it. Not only it gives you more leg power, but it stretches your body upward.

I really recommend doing it instead of taking shots or whatever other surgical operations. Also, it is something that you must do daily, all the time. It's not going to give you a sudden growth spurt, but over the time you will grow a bit taller.
My brother and I are considerably taller than my parents.

JackWalker
Jun 12th, 2006, 07:10 PM
i have heard that guys stop growing at 21 and 25, either way, i still have a few years to go. so this is what i am officially going to do. i am going to jump every day about a hundred times, drink a couple glasses of milk each day, and look into the acupuncture soles.

mapaliey
Jun 12th, 2006, 08:38 PM
use shoes please

meyerpl
Jun 12th, 2006, 08:45 PM
Now I've heard everything.

adam_ads_n
Jun 12th, 2006, 09:26 PM
I don't understand the problem. I'm 20, and I'm about 5'7 - 5'8 (174 cm). I think it's ok, and It makes no problems for me :)

adam_ads_n
Jun 12th, 2006, 09:29 PM
Not true :) When I was 13 I was more than 5'6. When I was 18 I grown to 5,7-5'8. But I know I can grow even more :)

Brαm
Jun 12th, 2006, 09:32 PM
Jump. A lot. It sounds really simple, but look at basketball players. Of course genetics plays an important role in human development, but if you condition your body, you will grow, but it works especially if you're in your growing years.
I jump all the time, playing basketball. My brother also played basketball, and generally jumps around a lot. I'm not talking about a little jump, I'm talking about jumping as high as you possibly can and stretching your body upward as much as possible, in the same manner as if you're trying to dunk a basketball.

We used to put a little mark against the wall up high, and jumped up to try to reach it. Not only it gives you more leg power, but it stretches your body upward.

I really recommend doing it instead of taking shots or whatever other surgical operations. Also, it is something that you must do daily, all the time. It's not going to give you a sudden growth spurt, but over the time you will grow a bit taller.
My brother and I are considerably taller than my parents.I'm sorry but I really don't think that jumping around will help much.
You say: "Jump. A lot. It sounds really simple, but look at basketball players." --> Basketball players usually play basketball because they are tall. That's why they are good at it. My dad, who used to play basketball, is only 5'10" while his brother, whose favourite sport is beer-lifting :secret:, is 6'1". So I guess jumping around and playing basketball doesn't really play a role.

Oh and being taller than your parents is rather normal too. (Although I am 3.5 inches smaller than my dad :tape: )

JackWalker
Jul 13th, 2006, 02:38 AM
any more thoughts on this?

Wiggly
Jul 13th, 2006, 02:50 AM
you can take medication, but don't do it when you don't need it. I'm 5'8 i'm 20 now and stopped growing last year. Once you stopped growing you can't do anything about it, the medication only works when you're still growing.

I was a very small kid and so my parents and I did a check up, because they can make x-ray pictures of your hand, and tell you how many height you will gain. So they said I would be between 5'8 and 5'10 so I decidied not to anything about it.

Do you need a medical permission or you can do it "for fun" :confused: :lol:

meyerpl
Jul 13th, 2006, 04:05 AM
any more thoughts on this?
You'll feel taller after about thirteen gin & tonics. More handsome too! Just trust me on this.

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jul 13th, 2006, 08:26 AM
If I have a daughter in the future, I'll make sure that she must be at least 6ft 3in (192cm) or taller... I'll give her ample of growth hormones and supplements plus the herbs that stimulate growth...

... so that she will find a guy as tall or taller than her, and have granddaughters who are 6ft 6in or taller...

... and then finally I will have created a family consisting of 7ft tall giants and giantesses...

... I'm crazy isn't it?

Wiggly
Jul 17th, 2006, 07:29 PM
I actually tried some "acupuncture" soles not long ago... sad to say, I quit after a while because it was uncomfortable.

But I think I will try it again today... might gain a few inches more (I'm 5' 10 by the way and want to be 6' 2").

They said it works... one lady aged 25 used it and grew from 5' 9" to 6' 1".

Where can we boy acupuncture soles? :angel:

meyerpl
Jul 17th, 2006, 07:36 PM
Where can we boy acupuncture soles? :angel:
Hell, I'll sell them to you. Send me $200, I'll send you acupuncture soles. You put 'em on, tough the pain out and I'll have $200. I win! I strongly suggest you save your money and accept yourself the way you are though.

Stark
Jul 18th, 2006, 08:23 AM
ps. maria sharapova is 6'2 and her mom and dad are really short. has tennis helped her grow?

Not necessarily, exercise plays a relatively small role in determining your height(although it does play a role). Genetics and diet plays a larger role. And it is not always true that your height depends upon that of your parents, in some cases people may have inherited genes of their grandparents which were present in their parents but were dormant. And when you got them they became active thus contributing to a different height. Men normally grow until they are 20 but they can still grow until 25. Don't worry much about it and please don't do that surgery someone provided a link to.

If you want to look taller you could wear elevator shoes which increase your height by 2-3inches. You could also spike you hair nice and high and get two cm from there. And do some stretching exercizes and that's probably all you could do. Don't lose sleep over it. :)