PDA

View Full Version : If I want to queue for Wimbledon ticket!!

Hyde'
Jun 11th, 2006, 07:02 PM
If I want to queue for Wimbledon ticket on Tuesday 4 July (the 2nd day of 2nd week),
what time should I go for queueing?
I heard that some need to queue overnight, some said only the very early morning is ok.
What do you think? Anyone experience this?

one more question.. what do I need to prepare for?
I'll fly there just for wimbledon so I don't wanna miss it.

Thank you guys in advance !!

Hyde'
Jun 12th, 2006, 05:36 AM
anybody?

Caz
Jun 12th, 2006, 06:07 AM
What kind of ticket do you want? What time you need to arrive depends on what you want to buy, for a show court ticket, you'd probably need to camp overnight to be sure, for a grounds pass, arriving in the early morning should be fine.

TheBoiledEgg
Jun 12th, 2006, 06:17 AM
if you want a ticket for the womens QF

easily the shortest queue of any day you can queue for maincourt tickets.

there's hardly a queue for that, most turn up in morning.
probably 5am will get you in for a showcourt ticket.

if you just want outside ticket........ you'll get in by just walking straight into gates.
juniors start at 11am.

Hyde'
Jun 12th, 2006, 08:48 AM
I want to get a show court ticket.. Center court or Court 1 is ok for me.

The Boiled egg, you mean I don't have to go camping? 5AM is in time?

vancouverite
Jun 12th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Yes, 5 a.m. should be OK, but remember that the tube doesn't start operating until about 5:30 a.m., so if you're staying in Central London, it'll take you about 45 minutes to an hour to get to Southfields tube station (which is where you start your 15-minute walk to the outdoor parking lot/field where you start the queue). I've arrived at around 7 a.m. and it's still fine, just don't let the size of the queue frighten you into thinking you won't get a good seat, as you probably will....

There'll be hundreds of people already in a queue who've camped overnight on the road leading to the front entrance. They'll get in first, but those who arrive very early that morning will also get in...the queue looks enormous (you're herded into the big grass field I mentioned to the back of the queue) and doesn't move for quite a while until they open the front gates at about 10 or 10:30. It's a good idea to bring a newspaper or book to read while you wait, and don't forget to bring a hat/sunglasses/sunscreen if it's sunny, because you'll be standing/sitting there for hours before the gates open. Then, it moves very quickly!
Good luck!

drive-volley
Jun 12th, 2006, 06:13 PM
How about the first week of play? Is 5 AM early enough to get show court tickets then? Or should I queue overnight in the first week?
I'm staying near Wimbledon, so there's no problem to be there at 5 AM. Queuing overnight would be fun as well, but I'd prefer to sleep in a bed ;) .

_KidmaN_
Jun 12th, 2006, 06:20 PM
It's not everyday when 5 am is enough to get tickets for show courts. Last year there were only 500 tickets each day for show courts on sale.. and there where so many ppl camping around the wimbledon courts that even at 5 was very tough to get any. Sometimes they give away even in afternoon hours some tickets if they find some more place on the stadiums where ppl can sit.. i had this kind of situation on wedensday during first week, when lady at the gate told me that some tickets left for No.1 court and sold me one for 18 pound, as for the prize like for the grounds one. I was surprised... but didnt wait any longer there.. and mixed up with the ppl when security and tournament ppl started asking from where these tickets came from lol.

hanxu
Jun 12th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Well, my brother in law has a burger van for wimbledon, if you want centre court or court 1 for some popular match, you might have to queue over night. say go there 2-3am. However, pray for england do well in world cup, because ppl won't give a sh*t about tennis if england go far in worldcup (which will never happen)

drive-volley
Jun 12th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Well, my brother in law has a burger van for wimbledon, if you want centre court or court 1 for some popular match, you might have to queue over night. say go there 2-3am. However, pray for england do well in world cup, because ppl won't give a sh*t about tennis if england go far in worldcup (which will never happen)
Yeah, I thought about it too. May God help them reach the final knockout rounds :lol: . They'll proly play a quarterfinal in the evening before middle saturday, which would be awesome news for all the tennis fans coming to Wimby from abroad :D :D . GOOO ENGLAND, don't disappoint me ;) ;) ;) .

bis2806
Jun 12th, 2006, 07:37 PM
Do you have to queue on a certain night to get, say, show court tickets for the final? Or can you queue on the first night and get show court tickets for QF, semis and finals?

hanxu
Jun 12th, 2006, 07:49 PM
^ I can't remember, but I think the first sunday you can queue for the ticket (for free), all other days you have to queue and buy them.

bis2806
Jun 12th, 2006, 07:54 PM
I meant to ask if there were restrictions as to which day you are supposed to queue to get tickets for a certain round. Can you buy all Quarters, semis and finals tickets at the same time?

Hyde'
Jun 14th, 2006, 05:54 PM
I don't think so, bis2806.
You need to queue for each round each day.

People!!!
Let's say.. If I wanna queue for Tuesday 4th July QF tickets, 2-3AM is enough for it, right?
Can I go there by TAXI? Is there Taxi available overnight?

Astroferlondon
Jun 14th, 2006, 08:40 PM
^ I can't remember, but I think the first sunday you can queue for the ticket (for free), all other days you have to queue and buy them.

The first Sunday there's no play at all . Tradition . Only those years in which there are severe rain delays .

drivevolley
Jun 14th, 2006, 11:18 PM
I queued last year for the monday of the second week with some friends and we, i think got there at about 7. But we were going for ground passes as we had tickets for the next 2 days on show courts. So i suppose queue overnight or reelly early in the morning if you want show court tickets but you dont need to queue so early for a ground pass!

TheBoiledEgg
Jun 14th, 2006, 11:47 PM
last 4 days are all sold out on Centre Court........ they dont sell tickets for Centre Court from after 2nd Wed.

Philip
Jun 15th, 2006, 12:15 AM
Im gonna go down for a day in the first week for a grounds pass :D

what time would i have to qeue from? :confused:

moon
Jun 15th, 2006, 12:22 AM
Yeah, I thought about it too. May God help them reach the final knockout rounds :lol: . They'll proly play a quarterfinal in the evening before middle saturday, which would be awesome news for all the tennis fans coming to Wimby from abroad :D :D . GOOO ENGLAND, don't disappoint me ;) ;) ;) .

I'm with you on this one. I'm going, but I decided that I don't have it in me to camp out overnight. So I'll be one of the early morning arrivals.

bis2806
Jun 15th, 2006, 07:00 PM
Can you buy a final and semi ticket like say on Day 1?

vancouverite
Jun 16th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Can you buy a final and semi ticket like say on Day 1?

No, as the Boiled Egg said, those tickets are already completely sold out. If you don't have a semifinal or final show court ticket now, too bad!;)

And as others have said, you can only buy tickets for a particular day ON THAT PARTICULAR DAY....which means camping overnight (very uncomfortable, and potentially wet/cold if it rains during the night...plus you have to store your gear in lockers outside the grounds, as you can only bring a small backpack in with you) or arriving early in the morning. Not as early as 2 or 3 am, which would be a bit of a waste of time, but 5:30 or 6 am.

Philip
Jun 17th, 2006, 01:02 AM
Im gonna go down for a day in the first week for a grounds pass :D

what time would i have to qeue from? :confused:
anyone any advice? :confused:

Hyde'
Jun 17th, 2006, 05:59 AM
I think around 8-9AM is enough for ground tickets in the first week as they serve 6000 tickets for ground (from website)

Philip
Jun 17th, 2006, 11:48 PM
I think around 8-9AM is enough for ground tickets in the first week as they serve 6000 tickets for ground (from website)

baleineau
Jun 18th, 2006, 12:46 AM

8-9am is okay to get a ticket and you should be in the grounds for before midday. BUT, you may find it hard to get a seat, as those ahead of you in the queue will gain entry about an hour or so before you and will take up the seats on Court 2, Court 3, Court 13 and Court 18 - the bigger non-Show courts. If you want to see a specific match starting at midday on one of these courts, i'd suggest joining the queue around 6am to make sure you get in with time to spare. as an example, to get a seat at Court 3, you may have to queue for at least 30-mins once you are inside the grounds. meanwhile, you are missing good tennis.

in the past, the most stress-free solution for me has been to hit the main queue at about 9am, get in for midday, and then just walk around the outside courts, switching between matches, not being too bothered about seats or specific players. if you are seat-hungry or determined to watch a specific match at a specific time, you could end up not enjoying the day, especially if it's hot. remember, there's little shade at wimbledon, and it can take a while to move between the crowds.