PDA

View Full Version : Sveta got T-O-L-D by Bud Collins!

Reuchlin
Jun 11th, 2006, 01:56 AM
I just want to say that I have a great deal of respect for Sveta and think she will be a great champion in the future. That said, did any other American/Canadian viewer think that Bud Collin's interview was just too funny :lol:. For those who did not see, Sveta began saying how she did not expect Justine to play so defensively and was about to give the old "I lost it, she did not win it..." line when BUd Collins said, "So she Fooled you then?" The look on Sveta's face was priceless! :lol: :lol: :lol: :tape: :tape: :tape:

mboyle
Jun 11th, 2006, 02:00 AM
Yeah except Sveta would not have been able to say that, because she made far fewer errors than she normally does, and still lost. Justine hit a ton of incredible winners

bis2806
Jun 11th, 2006, 02:05 AM
I really don't like it when Sveta always gives excuses that she makes errors all the time. I mean that's like her only legit reason why she lost :confused:

treufreund
Jun 11th, 2006, 02:11 AM
yes cuz we know Sveta normally produces no unforced errors. :rolleyes:

bis2806
Jun 11th, 2006, 02:13 AM
If she says is all the time, then even we the non-pros can give excuses like that and it will sound professional eh?

dav abu
Jun 11th, 2006, 02:15 AM
Bud Collins is a doddery old fool who should have fucked off from broadcasting long ago!

Reuchlin
Jun 11th, 2006, 02:20 AM
I don't think that Sveta's comment was that interesting/important, however, Bud's comment was right on the mark and overdue (and not just for Sveta).

treufreund
Jun 11th, 2006, 02:26 AM
Remember the time when Venus said that she lost to kim clijsters last year at the US Open that kim had started playing "weird" shots. :rolleyes:

pcrtennis
Jun 11th, 2006, 02:34 AM
Kuznetsova seems to never give her opponnet a whole lot of credit, there's always an excuse.

bis2806
Jun 11th, 2006, 02:41 AM
Q. What was your game plan going in, and did you execute it the way you wanted to?

SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: Well, more or less, I was trying to play the way I wanted to play but I didn't expect that the ball would come so easy. Sometimes I was expecting rallies to be so much different, you know.

I was all the time I had chance to play inside the court and I had so many chance to go forward and play my forehand that I was just overdoing it. I was not ready for, like, sitter, you know.

Yeah, I think I just lose my chances. I had plenty of them during the whole match. Yeah, it was the same picture as usual I have against Justine playing. It looked so much similar to other matches. But I just don't use the chances. If you don't use the chance, you don't win the matches.

Q. Were you surprised about the way she played or what she did in the match?

SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: Well, I just expecting her ball bit heavier, you know. Today it was not so heavy. But also the court was very slippery today, and the ball was ‑‑ she hit it, it was flat, it will bounce very fast, and if you hit it with a spin, it's bounce very high. I was playing a lot with the spin and I was not serving that well.

Yeah, these points which, I mean ‑‑ I was just thinking the match gonna be different.

Q. You scored ten points in a row at the start of the second set. Obviously, you had the momentum. Immediately, you lost the momentum. What happened at the time?

SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: No, I'm saying I didn't use the chances I had. I had so many of them. And she served well some important moments on the lines. But the rest, I was 2‑Love, 30‑Love, and I felt like I'm in control, same as I was in the end of the first set. Then you just miss two balls and then you lose your chance, you know. You let her come back to the match. And if you keep losing, keep missing, you know, you keep letting her back, it's not possible to win. So I think that was the key.

Q. You had a lot of problems with your forehand, it seemed like. Was there something in particular that you felt?

SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: No, the forehand is the shot, the best shot I got. It's also the shot I got to build my game on, you know. I wanted to move her around but the balls was so ‑‑ a little bit different coming to me than I expected them to. They were a little bit easier, but also bouncing a little bit higher. I was hitting it and I was not sometimes very well placed to hit that ball, and sometimes I was going for too much so I was just missing.

But I think I kept the right tactics. The thing is I just was missing too much.

Q. Overall, you had a very great tournament. Do you hope to keep that for Wimbledon?

SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: Yeah, definitely. But Wimbledon is grass court. It's completely different story, you know. I got to go and recover and practice, I guess, lots of serve and volleying out there.

Yes, I felt as I been fighting a lot this tournament. I been down so many matches, last three matches, which I won. I made it through. It was a little bit different with Miami, for example, because Miami I was playing different game because my game suits a little bit more to hard court. I was playing better than here. Still, I was playing good, but I didn't feel such good as Miami, but still it was good and I been fighting a lot.

So I keep it in my mind, and I try to improve some shots and do as always less unforced errors. But also I build my game on hitting hard and moving opponent around. Sometimes it happens you do lots of unforced errors. - not it's ALL the time for you Sveta :rolleyes: especially when you lose matches.

Q. What has made Justine so successful, do you think, on the clay here at the French Open, three titles in the last four years? Is there one particular thing you would point to as the main reason for that success?

SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: Hmm, I guess her backhand is very good. She gives lot of spin to it. And she plays smart, she mixes up her game. She serves pretty well.

And, of course, I guess it's mentality. It's the thing, self‑belief. She believes a lot to win.

Q. When you get into a match on clay with Justine, is there a feeling that she's not going to give you a point, you'll have to take it from her, you'll have to take some risks with your game?

SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: I thought about it today. I thought that it's going to be very hard. And sometimes it was easier than I expected it to be. So this was surprised me a little bit.

Yeah, I been ‑‑ I saw her behind more, not so much in court, but also I didn't let her go in because I was dictating the point most of the time. - then win the match damn it! Tired of her excuses.

Reuchlin
Jun 11th, 2006, 02:44 AM
With regards to the last statement, Sveta was only "dictating" during some points of the match up to 3-3. Justine completely turned up the heat after that hitting amazingly hard shots and great serves. Sveta looked confused. I think she has a lot of learn about tennis.

Scotso
Jun 11th, 2006, 03:32 AM
Yeah except Sveta would not have been able to say that, because she made far fewer errors than she normally does, and still lost. Justine hit a ton of incredible winners

http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/scores/stats/day19/2127ms.html

16 winners is "a ton"?

Cyandream
Jun 11th, 2006, 04:10 AM
http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/scores/stats/day19/2127ms.html

16 winners is "a ton"?

Guess that means Sveta had a ton plus 1 then. It seems to me from the stats that the scores were so close those 8 more errors that Sveta had really did make a difference. Ju won that fair and square but it wasn't a run away and she did have a little help from her opponent, especially in the 3rd game of the 2nd set. OTOH, I do think it's rather silly to say the you lost because your opponent didnt' play the way you expected. Isn't that your opponent's job, especially if you have already played 11 times? She's not going to give you a road map on how to play her.

miss_molik
Jun 11th, 2006, 04:47 AM
Kuznetsova seems to never give her opponnet a whole lot of credit, there's always an excuse.
justine doesn't give her opponents much credit either. give sveta a break

TF Chipmunk
Jun 11th, 2006, 05:31 AM
So Sveta lost because Justine sucked today? :tape:

skanky~skanketta
Jun 11th, 2006, 08:39 AM
i just realized that sveta's biggest problem is anticipation.

Kart
Jun 11th, 2006, 10:18 AM

So what if there is?

She is right in that she had her chances and hit too many errors.

It doesn't change the fact that Justine won the match quite fairly :shrug:.

Lady
Jun 11th, 2006, 11:31 AM
So what if there is?

She is right in that she had her chances and hit too many errors.

It doesn't change the fact that Justine won the match quite fairly :shrug:.

Exactly!

I'm a Ju fan, and I have no problem with Sveta saying that she was dictating the match, cause for the most part she did. :shrug: Justine herself said that it was Sveta who let her back into the match at 2-0 30-0.
Sveta didn't expect Justine to play so badly, and that is actually a compliment. ;)

shibster
Jun 11th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Sveta didn't expect Justine to play so badly, and that is actually a compliment.
*wonders if this is a new strategy of bossy's*
play as badly as they can't expect me to be, and they will let me win LOL.

at the end of the day, when you lose, there must be something that your opponent has done that you could not handle, period.

a win is a win, you can't deny your loss, you can only learn from it, and grasp the next chance when it comes.

teleri
Jun 11th, 2006, 06:53 PM
Most of sveta's saying are true. Kim did it, Amelie did it, Nicole did it and Federer did it. All the players can be like Sveta. But the difference is nobody say that. They keep it in mind, and improve their shots. So I think Sveta should not be surprised with anything when she is playing. just play and adjust yourself to the game. I think Sveta's serious problem is her shot selection. She cant mix the game up and raise her level surpass the opponents.

faste5683
Jun 11th, 2006, 08:08 PM
Give her a break, people. Those of us who truly know the game of tennis are aware that Seveta beat herself! It didn't matter who was across the net yesterday: Justine, Barbara Schwartz, or my pet Airedale (Odysseus), it was clearly a matter of beating oneself. If the balls weren't so damn small, the clay so slippery, the net so looming, I'm sure most players would have better days and not beat themselves!

:wavey: