PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me or.........

Andy.
Jun 11th, 2006, 02:55 AM
There just doesnt seem to be that much fanfair or hype or it doesnt seem to be that big that Justine won another Grandslam, to me its just like she won a regular tournament. I was expecting more news, celebration and and bit more ra ra. It just doesnt have that feel as though someone just won a slam.

Reuchlin
Jun 11th, 2006, 02:58 AM
There just doesnt seem to be that much fanfair or hype or it doesnt seem to be that big that Justine won another Grandslam, to me its just like she won a regular tournament. I was expecting more news, celebration and and bit more ra ra. It just doesnt have that feel as though someone just won a slam.
I'm celebrating!! :) :worship: :worship: :worship: :drool: :drool: :drool:

loppy
Jun 11th, 2006, 03:01 AM
So am I :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

junlee_vee
Jun 11th, 2006, 03:03 AM
It's because it was another joke of a FO women's final...boring and predictable. :yawn:

Geisha
Jun 11th, 2006, 03:05 AM
The level of women's tennis is at an absolute low. Nothing to be excited about.

DragonFlame

I Partied all night! :bounce: it's just that everyone that got on the anti-justine bandwagon got shut up. That's why it's so quiet now, have you seen the biggest haters today? :lol:
i've seen a lot of people drop from the anti-justinewagon lately as well ;)

btw, i think most of us are partying quietly because we know justine has 1 more thing to do starting 2 weeks from now ;)

Corswandt

The World Cup is already in full swing, the final was not terribly exciting, and the players in it weren't the most popular around here. Not really surprising, even though it's certainly very unfair to JHH and Kuznetsova.

Corswandt
Jun 11th, 2006, 03:07 AM
The level of women's tennis is at an absolute low. Nothing to be excited about.

The same crap over and over and over again: "tennis sucks because my faves aren't playing".

On to my ignore list.

dav abu
Jun 11th, 2006, 03:10 AM
I agree - next to nothing on the news about it and this board hasn't had any buzz! I can't pinpoint why this final hasn't generated the excitment that a Slam should but it definitely hasn't.

iWill
Jun 11th, 2006, 05:08 AM
There isnt that much hype because she's been the favorite for this years title since she won last years just like if Venus can pull together and win Wimbledon it will be sort of a big deal but not as big as last year

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 11th, 2006, 05:10 AM
I agree with Geisha. The quality just seems to not be as high at this slam in particular. Plus, everyone picked Justine to win, and let's face it, she's not all that well-liked. And Kuznetsova is a sweet kid, but certainly not a fan favorite by any means.

Wimbly will be a lot better I'm sure. Like last year hopefully.

Tennis Fool
Jun 11th, 2006, 05:16 AM
I was going to write the same thing. It was very easy getting onto this site after Justine's win; not many posters, almost like she'd just won a Tier IV or something :shrug: The same thing with other tennis sites and no front page news (overshadowed by World Cup and Preakness). I'm sure this won't be the same after the men's final. In fact, MTF posters have already vowed not to show up to post tomorrow. :p

hingisGOAT
Jun 11th, 2006, 05:17 AM
i think i read that 'the quality of play is so bad!!!' every year at roland garros. unfortunately, some will never understand the nature of clay court tennis; perhaps this explains their childish, perplexed reactions when their ball-bashing fave is ushered off the court before they finish unpacking. not cooincidence: every year at wimbledon we hear about how 'the quality of play is higher than ever'. :rolleyes: puh-leaze

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 11th, 2006, 05:19 AM
i think i read that 'the quality of play is so bad!!!' every year at roland garros. unfortunately, some will never understand the nature of clay court tennis; perhaps this explains their childish, perplexed reactions when their ball-bashing fave is ushered off the court before they finish unpacking. not cooincidence: every year at wimbledon we hear about how 'the quality of play is higher than ever'. :rolleyes: puh-leaze
Well it's true. Women's tennis these days is just uglier on clay. Men's is much, much, much better. While on grass, there's shorter rallies and the power players usually thrive with the pace, and seeing as most of the WTA plays power, it translates to higher quality.

bis2806
Jun 11th, 2006, 05:34 AM
I guess it's just the French Open (like the Australian Open) where no one really cares because not every player committs 100% i.e. Lindsay Davenport and other Americans. Only the US Open and Wimbledon matter.

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 11th, 2006, 05:36 AM
I guess it's just the French Open (like the Australian Open) where no one really cares because not every player committs 100% i.e. Lindsay Davenport and other Americans. Only the US Open and Wimbledon matter.
Stupid, stupid post. :help:

bis2806
Jun 11th, 2006, 05:40 AM
Okay, to put it more in perspective, think about it. If you have all the top players competing at a tournament, it would be more valuable to the player who wins it. If a tournament [no matter how top-tiered it is] is only filled with one or two top players - and obviously one of them wins it - it's not going to be as big of a deal since some top players are missing.

xin_hui
Jun 11th, 2006, 05:43 AM
Okay, to put it more in perspective, think about it. If you have all the top players competing at a tournament, it would be more valuable to the player who wins it. If a tournament [no matter how top-tiered it is] is only filled with one or two top players - and obviously one of them wins it - it's not going to be as big of a deal since some top players are missing.

which top players were not at the french? only serena (who's out for some time, and missing wimbledon as well) and lindsay. everyone else is there, and there are way more than "one or two top players"

harloo
Jun 11th, 2006, 05:55 AM
I agree with Geisha. The quality just seems to not be as high at this slam in particular. Plus, everyone picked Justine to win, and let's face it, she's not all that well-liked. And Kuznetsova is a sweet kid, but certainly not a fan favorite by any means.

Wimbly will be a lot better I'm sure. Like last year hopefully.

Bingo. The quality on the women's side was very lacking this year. We didn't have one of those, "must see" breath taking matches. And the fact that Justine won as predicted leaves much to be desired. I was a bit shocked at how after she won the board loaded up faster than ever before. I guess even die hard tennis fans didn't care enough either way.

TF Chipmunk
Jun 11th, 2006, 06:33 AM
The same crap over and over and over again: "tennis sucks because my faves aren't playing".

On to my ignore list.:lol: :worship:

Honestly, it's because, well, JUSTINE won it. Anybody else, everyone would be jumping up and down.

eck
Jun 11th, 2006, 07:17 AM

So, if Serena and Lindsay pulls out of Wimbledon, I guess it will not be interesting, eh?

Allez-H
Jun 11th, 2006, 07:21 AM
Bingo. The quality on the women's side was very lacking this year. We didn't have one of those, "must see" breath taking matches. And the fact that Justine won as predicted leaves much to be desired. I was a bit shocked at how after she won the board loaded up faster than ever before. I guess even die hard tennis fans didn't care enough either way.

We do care, we just don't have the need to start a kazillion threads to tell everyone.

Greenout
Jun 11th, 2006, 07:25 AM
I would think anybody based in America wouldn't like RG -since none of the matches were shown "live" or replaced with Nadal, or Roger ones instead.

Sorry, but the quality was high- not RG's fault if alot of people missed it due to their poor tv coverage match selection during broadcast hours.

The best performer was actually Nicole V. Her matches against Amelie and Venus were super.

Maria's 3 setters were outstanding particulary the one where she unfortunately lost to Dinara. Patty's matches were a joy to watch until her crap performance against Venus. Elena D was good too. Shame she lost to Peer.

The most boring matches were the over hyped ones - particulary Martina Hingis, and the so Kim matches.

Justine played well, and bored everyone because it done so well, and without drama or a reason to pounce on her. What could you say? She played well in two sets, and won? Boring - but fans don't care. Less drama and more wins are better.

Mightymirza
Jun 11th, 2006, 07:26 AM
Not another hater plzz :rolleyes: Anyways I am celebrating my ass off ALLEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ juju...

Marcus1979
Jun 11th, 2006, 07:29 AM
I think also justine winning Roland Garros is also starting to get predictable also.

i.e every year she comes into it healthy she wins it. 2003, 2005, 2006

Orion
Jun 11th, 2006, 07:36 AM
It's a combination of two things: the people saying she was finished can't really talk right now, and the people who were politely indifferent before are disdainful since the Aussie. But props to her fans for pointing out that it's game, not press, that win tournaments.

And congrats to Kuznetsova for doing so well this tournament. Best of luck to both at Wimbledon, I hope to see at least a semifinal from both of you.

hwanmig
Jun 11th, 2006, 08:03 AM

Thats because they can't win it, the only American I know who really knew how to play clay tennis was Evert. Probably Capriati

Prizeidiot
Jun 11th, 2006, 09:00 AM
Probably because everyone already figured Justine would win it... it wasn't news that it actually happened

jochem
Jun 11th, 2006, 09:29 AM

Venus did commit and really wanted to win at FO this year... And Serena and Lindsay were injured as well as Mary. Serena wil not be at Wimby and Lindsay is still in doubt so 'the Americans' might not commit for Wimby as well.... Wimby will be overshadowed by World Cup even more so I'd imagine the same disinterest for the third Slam of the year. Wimby and US I guess ARE more popular though, Wimby for its traditions which make it a little more special than the other Slams and US for the fact that every tennis player could/should be good on hard courts... ;)

FrenchY52
Jun 11th, 2006, 09:33 AM
It was one of my worst RG ... I didn't care Justine won .. It was a rotten final, a sad RG .. :sad: :sad: And when Justine won, it was the same as if she won her 1st round ..

Dexter
Jun 11th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Great RG for me with Justine winning and Nicole having her big breakthrough in a GS :yeah: :hearts: :aparty:

TomTennis
Jun 11th, 2006, 10:22 AM
It was very predictable and boring.

I think with the draw, a lot of people were expecting the biggets names to clash, like Venus and Amelie, but it never happened. It was a Kinda let down. 2 boring semi-finals (one predictable and the other an error fest!) and you could have bet all your money on the final.

Ok some of the rallies were good, other than that it was all relativley average!

Roland Garros never seems to generate good matches, like matches that will be remembered. We culd all pick about 3 memorable matches from the AO 2005, AO 2006, Wimbledon 2005, US Open 2005, but for this years Roland Garros, it will just be a "let down" remembered!

pigam
Jun 11th, 2006, 10:26 AM
It's because clay isn't a real surface :shrug:

23TwentyThree23
Jun 11th, 2006, 11:08 AM
I like both players, but I have to admit that this year's championships overall leave a sad taste in the mouth - maybe I missed it, but where was the real drama? where were the nail-biting matches? where was the high quality tennis we usually see at the French? I blame the Sunday start and the poor weather of the first few days!

msharafan
Jun 11th, 2006, 11:10 AM
clay isnt good for womens tennis the quicker the surface the better entertainment value!

JackFrost
Jun 11th, 2006, 11:41 AM
clay isnt good for womens tennis the quicker the surface the better entertainment value!

Actually I like Women tennis on clay. It depends more on tactics and intelligence.
The Ladies have to really play for their points and not just hit the ball hard and quick.
I like grass and hardcourt tennis too, but everything to his time.
It would be boring, if all grand slams were the same surface.

Andy.
Jun 11th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Most women hit the ball really flat so on clay thats not ideal but is very effective on grass and hard.

WF4EVER
Jun 11th, 2006, 11:54 AM
:lol: :worship:

Honestly, it's because, well, JUSTINE won it. Anybody else, everyone would be jumping up and down.

I agree. If she had beaten Venus in the final it would have been different. In here would have been swarming with people from both sides of the tracks.

I'm sure Justine and her fans have been celebrating so who cares? Some people are a bit bitter that Justine won especially since many were rooting against her after the OZ final.

I didn't come on to congratulate her after the final because I thought it might have been a bit busy here but I'm not surprised that it wasn't. Justine's probably the least favorite of the top players since Oz but that doesn't really matter. She won and she won fairly, she picked up her game thru the rounds as she had to and she earned that victory. Kudos to her.

The final was fine as far as I'm concerned. GS Finals are big moments and it has to be expected that nerves and pressure will come into play contributing to bad play and poor decision making at times. It was just fine, IMO. I don't know why anyone would expect that after 12 matches between them, playing for the Championship would make the quality any different that what had been seen in the previous rounds. I've seen much worst GS finals than this one and IMO, it was good enough.

People who keep complaining about the finals are mostly just bitter because who they wanted to be in the finals didn't get there. This was a most deserving win for Justine, no controversy and no negative drama.

Congratulations to them both but especially to Justine for claiming her 5th GS and for making 2 GS Finals in a row. It's a pity she couldn't have won them both.

WF4EVER
Jun 11th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Actually I like Women tennis on clay. It depends more on tactics and intelligence.
The Ladies have to really play for their points and not just hit the ball hard and quick.
I like grass and hardcourt tennis too, but everything to his time.
It would be boring, if all grand slams were the same surface.

You do mean it isn't good for Sharapova tennis, don't you?

I can see why you'd think it's bad for women's tennis; not many players out there know how to think for themselves.

Effy
Jun 11th, 2006, 11:59 AM
this year final was more interesting then last year one :wavey:
last year was so boring :tape:

terjw
Jun 11th, 2006, 12:00 PM
I like both players, but I have to admit that this year's championships overall leave a sad taste in the mouth - maybe I missed it, but where was the real drama? where were the nail-biting matches? where was the high quality tennis we usually see at the French? I blame the Sunday start and the poor weather of the first few days!

Nicole fighting back and taking out first Momo and then Venus after narrowly losing the first set in both matches? Doesn't get much better for drama.

Andy.
Jun 11th, 2006, 12:05 PM
this year final was more interesting then last year one :wavey:
last year was so boring :tape:
At least here was bigger press and fan fair it actually felt as though a GS had just been played. Although i would have liked the match to have been a little more like this years.

Smackie
Jun 11th, 2006, 12:06 PM
It is funny to see how the fans of the 'big girls' keep bashing RG. Yes it is boring because YOUR fav is not in the semis or the final. No one's fault as it's your fav who can't play crafty tennis. For me, I would rather watch Hingis, Patty (whom I dislike - sorry!) and Justine anytime than those one-dimension hard hitters.

It is quieter his year because some people were watching the World Cup. But if you did watch the match, you would have seen the court was jam packed. The WorldCup would affect other sports in general. At the end of the day, GS tennis happen (four times) every year whereas the WorkdCup once every four.

Also Justine was and had been the favourite for a few years. With the opponent being comparingly 'weaker' on paper, it's difficult to generate any woohas like the men's. Come on, Federer and Nadal? It would be like Justine vs Serena/Venus.

If it was not Federer who came through, lets say Nadal vs Robredo, of course not as many people would pay as much attention.

By the way, the women's final has been mentioned on Radio 1, BBC News regularly so was on most news sites.

You don't notice it because you are not a fan of the finalists.

xin_hui
Jun 11th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Nicole fighting back and taking out first Momo and then Venus after narrowly losing the first set in both matches? Doesn't get much better for drama.

i agree it was great from nicole, but it wasnt that nail-biting, since the 2nd and 3rd sets werent exactly gripping. nicole romped past the last two sets in those two matches.

mike/topgun
Jun 11th, 2006, 12:49 PM
It was very predictable and boring.

I think with the draw, a lot of people were expecting the biggets names to clash, like Venus and Amelie, but it never happened. It was a Kinda let down. 2 boring semi-finals (one predictable and the other an error fest!) and you could have bet all your money on the final.

Ok some of the rallies were good, other than that it was all relativley average!

Roland Garros never seems to generate good matches, like matches that will be remembered. We culd all pick about 3 memorable matches from the AO 2005, AO 2006, Wimbledon 2005, US Open 2005, but for this years Roland Garros, it will just be a "let down" remembered!
totaly agree
the level of rivalry and quality were one of the lowest in some years:
of course the favorite won - Justine deserves to be the Queen of RG, but her rivals didn't make it harder neither played well enough to spread any doubts bout who was going to be the champ again
Nicole - 17 years old Czech cinaderella who crushed two favrites failed to take the final stage, cos of lacks in experience[SF exit]
Anna-Lena - did all what she could do with her draw, good performance[QF exit]Kuzzy - got to the final, but didn't show anything special[final]
Dinara - a dark horse who stunned one Russian to be stunned by another[QF exit]
Venus - is playing better and better, but her main goal is Wimbledon[4th rd exit] Masha - lacking of match practice, but still quite decent performance [4th rd exit]Nastya - gaining confidence, gave some hard time to JuJu in second set[4th rd exit]
Alicia- came back at last[3rd rd exit]
Momo - failed to show her skills[3rd exit]
Nadia - for some people was clearly one of the top favorites, but injured[1st rd exit]
Elena - lost to Peer:tape:[3rd round exit]

Kim - lost again to JHH in a GS, in a really low quality match[SF exit]
Hingis - did what she could, beaten by rusty Clijsters, maybe by a virus too?[QF exit]

also Patty, Fran, Ana, MariaK, Gisela didn't show as threats even for a QF spot...

Jen(3 GS titles), Lindsay(3GS titles), Mary(2GS titles), Serena(7GS titles) all not playing
Noone except JHH, and maybe Kuzzy, Nicole,Dinara, Anna Lena showed decent form really...That was not entertaining at all, and that's not only my opinion, but also my friends who play and follow the sport won't remember anything bout this years RG apart from Nicole making her breakthrough :bounce:

Billy Moonshine
Jun 11th, 2006, 01:07 PM
I agree it was dull.
I recall the classic matches of the early 90's ( when I first started watching RG) to early 2000's. Steffi vs Monica, Steffi vs Sanchez, Sabatini vs Monica, Capriati vs Serena, Sanchez vs Seles, Hingis Vs Graf, Pierce vs Seles, Pierce Vs Hingis, Fernandez vs sabatini, Graf vs Sabatini, Martinez Vs Graf, Jen vs Kim, .....I could go on and on and on....But since this tournament there was nothing to get excited about, in fact there has only been one match worth watching since 2003 and that was Henin Vs Serena.
Nicole vs error strewn Venus and Chokermomo? Not even in the same league as the true RG classics, unless of course you have never seen them and you only started watching tennis in last four years.
RG has got worse because not many players have the patience to craft points on clay and it will only get worse as the power and the errors increase.
This is why Justine's victory goes unheralded outside of her fanbase. Who else was going to win it? Noone even posed a threat!

marypower
Jun 11th, 2006, 01:58 PM
I think a lot of people expected it :shrug: She is the best clay courter.

Joana
Jun 11th, 2006, 02:24 PM
I can't believe the people are complaining about the quality of tennis NOW, after all the tragic finals we saw in the last few years.

The reason it's been quiet here is simple: the overwhelming favourite won, her opponent in the final is a player who doesn't generate really strong emotions among fans, and nothing controversial and dramatic happened along the way.

Justine Fan
Jun 11th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Again, what a compliment to Justine for being the overwhelming favourite :haha:

It's not her fault that she is an exceptional player on this surface and the other players buckle at the sheer thought of playing her is it? :D

Congratulations Justine, I'm very pleased and PROUD TO BE A FAN OF YOURS!

So, who's the overwhelming favourite on the up and coming surfaces?

Wimbledon
USO

The_Pov
Jun 11th, 2006, 02:43 PM
In all fainess I snubbed the final for the opening England match in Germany, which was on at the same time.

auntie janie
Jun 11th, 2006, 02:49 PM
We Justine fans don't feel the need to go overboard on messageboards when she wins Slams, because she's so superior a player that we're used to these victories. ;) Justine's excellence speaks for itself! :worship:

By the same token, when she wins, we don't feel the need to start threads getting in the face of fans of lesser players, because we are a classy group of model citizens. We feel happy to enjoy her success quietly, and leave the fans of others to their suffering. :angel: