PDA

View Full Version : Nicole Vaidisova withdraws from Eastbourne

Vaidisova
Jun 10th, 2006, 08:49 PM
Vaidisova withdraws to prepare for England

Nicole Vaidisova

Associated Press

6/10/2006 1:29:22 PM

PRAGUE, Czech Republic (AP) - Nicole Vaidisova said Saturday she will skip the Eastbourne grass-court tournament and prepare for Wimbledon in Prague instead.

''I decided not to play there, I don't want any possibility of injury,'' Vaidisova said at a news conference Saturday.

She also said that if she played at the English tournament she would have not enough time to recover from the French Open, where she made it to the semifinals - her first at a Grand Slam. She lost in the semifinals to 2004 U.S. Open champion Svetlana Kuznetsova.

''It's sports, that happens,'' Vaidisova said. ''Of course I was sorry, but what can one do after a lost match,'' she said. ''I cannot cry for a week because of that.''

The 17-year-old Vaidisova said she had no time to think about Wimbledon yet, but said the grass-court does not worry her.

''I like to play on the clay, but grass is not bad either,'' she said.

She refused to asses her chances at Wimbledon, appearing more concerned by exams she still has to pass at a high school here in Prague.

''Math is what worries me most, that always is a struggle,'' she said.

Vaidisova did not even watch the final of the French Open in which Kuznetsova lost to Justine Henin-Hardenne.

''I did not have any need to watch that,'' she said.

http://www.tsn.ca/tools/print_story.asp?id=168417

furrykitten
Jun 10th, 2006, 08:51 PM
Thats sad for Eastbourne

Nickk
Jun 10th, 2006, 09:07 PM
It's good to hear she thinks about school and her health. :)

up!
Jun 10th, 2006, 09:33 PM
C'mon Nicole
Come back stronger for Wimbledon

darrinbaker00
Jun 10th, 2006, 09:56 PM
First you reach the semis at Roland Garros, then you pull out of a tournament for no real reason. Congratulations, Nicole Vaidisova, you are now offically an elite WTA Tour player! ;)

cellophane
Jun 10th, 2006, 09:58 PM
:sad:

See you at Wimbledon, Nicole.

nhissan
Jun 10th, 2006, 10:08 PM
First you reach the semis at Roland Garros, then you pull out of a tournament for no real reason. Congratulations, Nicole Vaidisova, you are now offically an elite WTA Tour player! ;)

she need to recover do u understand?

anlavalle
Jun 11th, 2006, 01:11 AM
she need to recover do u understand?

i think Sveta, Kim and Jhh are playing Eastbourne :shrug:

The_Pov
Jun 11th, 2006, 01:13 AM

:haha: so true.

Kenny
Jun 11th, 2006, 01:14 AM
I love how they spelled "asses"

Wiggly
Jun 11th, 2006, 02:43 AM
I struggle HARD aswell in Maths :tape:

Tennace
Jun 11th, 2006, 02:46 AM
Good luck in your exams Nicole :yeah:

I hope she can do well at Wimbledon, and I think skipping Eastbourne may help her, that is if she practices on grass these weeks while not playing in tournaments.

Derek.
Jun 11th, 2006, 02:51 AM
Rest up Nicole! :hug:

Pass those exams! :yeah:

mboyle
Jun 11th, 2006, 03:02 AM
She should be a natural grass courter. I actually think she can win Wimbledon.

Corswandt
Jun 11th, 2006, 03:09 AM
Less one tournament to fill her AER quota. I think she'll do very well at the European indoors season later on, so she should keep some slots on her AER quota free for those tournaments.

Corswandt
Jun 11th, 2006, 03:10 AM
Vaidisova did not even watch the final of the French Open in which Kuznetsova lost to Justine Henin-Hardenne.

''I did not have any need to watch that,'' she said.

Now here's the bratty Nicole we all know and love. :lol:

Tennace
Jun 11th, 2006, 03:28 AM
Less one tournament to fill her AER quota. I think she'll do very well at the European indoors season later on, so she should keep some slots on her AER quota free for those tournaments.
Nicole has a total of 21 tournaments, but her and Alex have decided to only play at 17 tournaments, her old limit. They decided this at the beginning of the season.

Meesh
Jun 11th, 2006, 04:08 AM
wonder if she needs a travelling math tutor :wavey:

Veeko
Jun 11th, 2006, 04:09 AM
Good luck nicole on grass season

Good luck at Wimbledon

Sharapova's_Boy
Jun 11th, 2006, 04:11 AM
Nikki :sad:

Reuchlin
Jun 11th, 2006, 04:16 AM
Doing school work will help her tennis for sure: Whenever I am doing school work, I appreciate just how much more fun playing tennis is lol.

SharapovaFan16
Jun 11th, 2006, 04:45 AM
Yea way to pull out of a tournament you were in for no real reason... I really love that in the WTA Tour... I think it is so lame, wow you made the Semi Finals of a Grand Slam and now your like I need my body to catch up... screw that, if you love it enough you want to play and win whenever... not nit pick your schedule... I hate to see this from anyone and it pisses me off, yes even from SHARAPOVA!

Corswandt
Jun 11th, 2006, 07:28 PM
Nicole has a total of 21 tournaments, but her and Alex have decided to only play at 17 tournaments, her old limit. They decided this at the beginning of the season.

Those 21 tournaments are, I assume:

15 WTA tournaments
4 GS
Fed Cup
YEC should she qualify

I've checked the WTA rulebook and the AER limit for 17 y.o. is 15 WTA tournaments, exclusive of Fed Cup and YEC, and of GS if professional development requirements are met.

Tournaments played this season so far: 8 (10 including AO and RG, but these don't count for the AER limit). 7 left, with all those points to defend in the Fall. The decision seems wise indeed, particularly if they're trying to keep Nicole's schedule within those reasonable limits (17 tournaments) you mention.

Corswandt
Jun 11th, 2006, 07:28 PM
Yea way to pull out of a tournament you were in for no real reason... I really love that in the WTA Tour... I think it is so lame, wow you made the Semi Finals of a Grand Slam and now your like I need my body to catch up... screw that, if you love it enough you want to play and win whenever... not nit pick your schedule... I hate to see this from anyone and it pisses me off, yes even from SHARAPOVA!

It's a matter of career management. See my post above.

Carmen Mairena
Jun 11th, 2006, 07:49 PM
I think it's a good decision. Just a question: does she have to pay a fine because she's not injured? :shrug: :confused:

Craigy
Jun 11th, 2006, 07:54 PM
Smart choice I guess...

Dexter
Jun 11th, 2006, 07:58 PM
Be ready for SW19 Nicole :yeah: :hug:

Slumpsova
Jun 11th, 2006, 09:25 PM
Now here's the bratty Nicole we all know and love. :lol:

hey but every top players always saying that when they lost the match, and hell i will say that too. i mean who cares who will win the title when you are not in the tournament anymore :shrug:

mr_burns
Jun 11th, 2006, 10:15 PM
:lol:

Personally I think it's just not buildung her confidence down with an early defeat in eastbourne

ToeTag
Jun 11th, 2006, 10:32 PM
''I did not have any need to watch that,'' she said. Thats how I feel when Nicole plays. Actually I didn't watch it either.

For some reason Nicole comes off as a future Ann Coulter type...she kinda looks like her too. Just sayin. :wavey: