A former GS winner?

A former GS finalist?

A former GS semifinalist?

turt
Jun 10th, 2006, 07:45 PM
:lol:

¤CharlDa¤
Jun 10th, 2006, 07:46 PM
She deserved her final, but I agree that wasn't the toughest draw. She did face two FUTURE top 10 players though.

hingisGOAT
Jun 10th, 2006, 07:49 PM
She deserved her final, but I agree that wasn't the toughest draw. She did face two FUTURE top 10 players though.

safina is not top 10 material, she's demonstrated this for quite a few years now

V-MAC
:eek: I actually didn't think about it this way.

SAEKeithSerena
safina is not top 10 material, she's demonstrated this for quite a few years now

she is most definitely top 10 material, buddy.:rolleyes:

CooCooCachoo
Jun 10th, 2006, 07:50 PM
Well, it wasn't that easy :shrug:

Justine had an easy draw too, I think.

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 10th, 2006, 07:51 PM

Well even if she is not in the top 10 or top 10 material she was playing like a top 10er these past few weeks :p So that should count for somthing ;)

FrenchY52
Jun 10th, 2006, 07:54 PM
She deserved it .. Enough said ..

IceHock
Jun 10th, 2006, 07:54 PM
easy draw???she came back 3 times in matches that she shuld of lost.down 5-1 first set tosafina comes back and wins it.down 6-7,3-5 against vaidisova comes back and wins,and against schiavone she was down 1-6,3-4 comes back and wins.so her draw was far from easy.

up!
Jun 10th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Sveta didn't play against top ranked players but I think that currently, players like Vaidisova and Safina are much more harder to beat than Clijsters fon instance so Sveta really deserved her final.

MistyGrey
Jun 10th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Sveta deserved the final, and she did have to fight really hard to get to the final, but yes, she must be the first one to get to a slam final without facing a player who doesnt fit in ur list.

hingisGOAT
Jun 10th, 2006, 07:58 PM
she is most definitely top 10 material, buddy.:rolleyes:

and who is going to make room for her? hingis? venus? lindsay? kim? justine? maria? amelie? sveta? nadia? mary? patty? vaidisova? dementieva? schiavone? every last one of these players are better than her, and we can add ivanovic and kirilenko to the list as well. she is no longer an up-and-comer... she's been making slow and dissapointing progress for years. she is not very athletic or consistent, and her groundies are no better than any of the players i named... she might sneak into the top 10 the same way schnyder did (by playing a lot of tournaments), but there are too many girls, both older and younger, that are far more talented

she also has the dubious distinction of having won only 3 points in a set in a grand slam quarterfinal... i don't know if there's been anything like that in the history of the sport. on a separate note, she has all the charm and charisma of petrova :tape: also, on another separate note, didn't she make racist comments last year...? :confused:

charmedRic
Jun 10th, 2006, 08:05 PM
burn.

Carmen Mairena
Jun 10th, 2006, 08:14 PM
:secret:

Astroferlondon
Jun 10th, 2006, 08:30 PM
and who is going to make room for her? hingis? venus? lindsay? kim? justine? maria? amelie? sveta? nadia? mary? patty? vaidisova? dementieva? schiavone? every last one of these players are better than her, and we can add ivanovic and kirilenko to the list as well. she is no longer an up-and-comer... she's been making slow and dissapointing progress for years. she is not very athletic or consistent, and her groundies are no better than any of the players i named... she might sneak into the top 10 the same way schnyder did (by playing a lot of tournaments), but there are too many girls, both older and younger, that are far more talented

she also has the dubious distinction of having won only 3 points in a set in a grand slam quarterfinal... i don't know if there's been anything like that in the history of the sport. on a separate note, she has all the charm and charisma of petrova :tape: also, on another separate note, didn't she make racist comments last year...? :confused:

I don't think Mary and Lindsay are going to be around much longer , Venus has not been playing enough tournaments . Kim seems to lack motivation and insinuates retirement as well . Schiavone lacks confidence ................
mmm yep , Safina is top ten material !!!

twight6
Jun 10th, 2006, 08:33 PM
i loved how the announcers kept saying how much harder kuznetsova's road was....

...ok, let's look at it this way: If Svetlana played the draw Henin got, she wouldn't have been in the final...

...and if Justine played Sveta's draw, some of these "tough" matches wouldn't have been that tough... the bottom line is she is an amazing clay courter...

But the announcers just kept saying how much more time kuzy was on the court, how much harder her draw was, blah, blah blah! The only reason she spent more time on the court is she isn't as good of a clay courter as Henin-Hardenne, and this tournament was on CLAY! Like i said, if they switched draws, her draw wouldn't have been so "tough"

twight6
Jun 10th, 2006, 08:36 PM
easy draw???she came back 3 times in matches that she shuld of lost.down 5-1 first set tosafina comes back and wins it.down 6-7,3-5 against vaidisova comes back and wins,and against schiavone she was down 1-6,3-4 comes back and wins.so her draw was far from easy.

yes, but if it were a kim or hingis or henin-hardenne playing those matches, would htey have even gotten down 5-1 or 3-5 or what not? no. they would have just won the matches... the only one who would have even troubled them was MAYBE vaidisova, and only becuase she was on a roll. Yes Svetlana deserves to be here, but she also did have the easier draw in terms of rank, experience... etc

JS
Jun 10th, 2006, 08:41 PM
Indeed it was not the thouhest road to the final she could have had but it's not her fault, and she had to play the players who beat the top players so... and it's not her fault if venus, Amé and Maria were not able to win! The fact is that Sveta did, so she took advantage of the situation, good for her! :yeah:
And Justine's road wasn't that hard too I think....

twight6
Jun 10th, 2006, 08:44 PM
Indeed it was not the thouhest road to the final she could have had but it's not her fault, and she had to play the players who beat the top players so... and it's not her fault if venus, Amé and Maria were not able to win! The fact is that Sveta did, so she took advantage of the situation, good for her! :yeah:
And Justine's road wasn't that hard too I think....

you're right, she played who she had to play and she did quite well to win and get to the final...

..as for justine's road, that too wasn't the hardest in the world, but she did have to play clijsters and myskina....

up!
Jun 10th, 2006, 08:56 PM
Clijsters and Myskina played poor matches whereas Vaidisova, Safina and Schiavone were playing their best!! That's why Sveta's draw was harder than Juju's

RJWCapriati
Jun 10th, 2006, 09:16 PM
Has anyone else in history reached a GS final without facing:

A top 10 player?

A former top 10 player?

A former GS winner?

A former GS finalist?

Sad that happened - but true. And she barely made it.

borisy
Jun 10th, 2006, 09:17 PM
I can put it this way:

Any player who reaches any round in any tournament totally deserves it, even if she faces easy opponents. That means she beat whoever she was supposed to beat.

But then you can discuss about whether a player was imppressive in reaching that round.

Kuznetsova deserved her final appearance but her progress wasn't impressive. She took adventage of 2 teens who choked in their best appearances in a Slam and then there was "21st century's Sandrine Testud" called Francesca Schiavone who likes to lose 4-6 against top players in the 3rd set.

Grohl
Jun 10th, 2006, 09:21 PM
She deserved it .. Enough said ..
:yeah:

No Name Face
Jun 10th, 2006, 09:26 PM
I can put it this way:

Any player who reaches any round in any tournament totally deserves it, even if she faces easy opponents. That means she beat whoever she was supposed to beat.

But then you can discuss about whether a player was imppressive in reaching that round.

Kuznetsova deserved her final appearance but her progress wasn't impressive. She took adventage of 2 teens who choked in their best appearances in a Slam and then there was "21st century's Sandrine Testud" called Francesca Schiavone who likes to lose 4-6 against top players in the 3rd set.

agreeable post.

thomas.chung
Jun 10th, 2006, 09:28 PM
I think in a GS the most dangerous opponents aren't ranked 1-10 but somewhere 11-20 because it is these people that play as though they have nothing to loose (and they don't, really!) as shown by Safina and Nicole Vaidasova. These players tend to play very relaxed and don't think as much as top 10ers because of the above reason. So I don't think there was anything easy about her draw. I mean if she can make it to a GS final, that says something about her.

twight6
Jun 10th, 2006, 09:37 PM
I can put it this way:

The question here isn't whether she deserved it or not, obviously she did (there's only 2 people that can say they made the final of the 2006 french open ;)). We're all simply discussing her easy road...

...other than that, that is a very good post. it all is true

Thauron
Jun 10th, 2006, 09:39 PM
Well, in any case it is not Svetlana's fault she didn't face tougher competition.

I can't see how it matters to her that the former slam winners in her draw weren't able to beat a 17-year-old or finish off a 5-1 lead. Blame these three, not Kuznetsova - she did what the others forgot to do: win.

Maybe she wasn't too impressive, but she produced some good game - the best of her half of the draw in any case and that is what matters.

arn
Jun 10th, 2006, 09:52 PM
You can only beat the players who are on the other side of the court, nothing Sveta can do about it. She was the only one on that side of the draw who made full use of the situation :yeah:

Hazy
Jun 10th, 2006, 10:20 PM
Has anyone else in history reached a GS final without facing:

A top 10 player?

A former top 10 player?

A former GS winner?

A former GS finalist?

Clijsters in 2001

Joana
Jun 10th, 2006, 10:23 PM
When you put it like that it does seem like an easy draw, but: she had to beat a very experienced and tough player who especially thrives on clay (Schiavone), then a very in-form player who had taken the 4th seed out and had made a tier I final a couple of weeks ago (Safina), and one of the biggest talents in women's game, who had taken out the #1 seed and a former finalist (Vaidisova). It was a pretty respectable draw.

turt
Jun 10th, 2006, 10:28 PM
Clijsters in 2001
true :lol:

R128 (Q) SALERNI, MA. EMILIA ARG 110 W 6-3 6-4
R64 DIAZ-OLIVA, MARIANA ARG 48 W 7-5 6-1
R32 MARRERO, MARTA ESP 53 W 6-2 6-2
R16 NAGYOVA, HENRIETA SVK 33 W 6-4 4-6 6-3
Q (Q) MANDULA, PETRA HUN 131 W 6-1 6-3
S (14) HENIN, JUSTINE BEL 16 W 2-6 7-5 6-3

WorldWar24
Jun 10th, 2006, 10:39 PM
You people are so annoying, always trying to diminish the players and their feats. Svetlana was the champion of that side of the draw. Out of 64 players she came undefeated. She beat whoever beat those top players you say she was lucky not to face, but she would have probably beaten them anyway. She beat Venus in Warsaw, she would have beaten Mauresmo like someone always does in Paris. It's not her problem they failed to live up to their seedings, it's not like there were no top players in the draw... She made a grand slam final. A GRAND SLAM FINAL! And she already has one GS title. How can someone like Svetlana get to a GS final and someone say she doesn't deserve it? She lost to Roland Garros champions for the past 3 years. She had mp over this RG champion last year, and over Myskina the year before.

LOL at you people. Sign up for the next Roland Garros or apply for a WC. It's so easy, getting to GS finals lol

TheAllan
Jun 10th, 2006, 10:48 PM
It was a pretty respectable draw.
True. Additionally, she didn't face anyone outside the top 50. Li Na, Estoril finalist who trounced Castano and upset Schnyder in Berlin, was also no walkover for a third round match. Other than Venus, Schiavone was the worst player she could draw from the 9-16 bracket in the fourth.

anlavalle
Jun 10th, 2006, 11:34 PM
Clijsters and Myskina played poor matches whereas Vaidisova, Safina and Schiavone were playing their best!! That's why Sveta's draw was harder than Juju's

Yeah i think so, that is what they are not easy draws, depends in how the other players are, Kim practically give the semifinal, even Justin said she didn`t play her best tennis at RG and is because neither of them were a challenge

Zauber
Jun 11th, 2006, 12:03 AM
sour grapes

Bounty Hunter
Jun 11th, 2006, 12:29 AM

Exactly!!

eck
Jun 11th, 2006, 12:43 AM
She was in the path of meeting seeded players, but they got beaten by more in-form players. She deserves to be in the final, anyone can be, after winning 6 matches in a row.

borisy
Jun 11th, 2006, 01:27 AM
Well the bottom line is in other slams she won't be this lucky. Her play until the final was mediocre and she lost to Justine in straight sets when Justine was hitting half of her backhands to the net. There was another thread about Svetlana's chances at Wimbledon. It's really difficult to see here reaching to another final.

Good that she took advantage of a weak draw and did her best to reach the final but it is no way of an indication of how well she can do in other slams.

thomas.chung
Jun 11th, 2006, 02:38 AM
you call coming back from like set down, from having held match pts against her and came back and beat Nicole Vaidasova (who was good enough to take out Venus Williams, Patty Schnyder<---especially her who can be quite tricky on clay) , and taking out Dinara "ON FIRE" Safina 6-0 sets mediocre? If that is the case, then I don't know what is good!

Tennace
Jun 11th, 2006, 03:50 AM
Ranking wise maybe it wasnt tough, but.........

Schiavone and Safina on clay are very good and are porbably both top 10 clay courters and Nicole played a great tournament so she wasnt easy either. Plus Kuznetsova was losing but quite a bit in all 3 matches. It was certainly tough for her and she earned it.

hwanmig
Jun 11th, 2006, 08:00 AM
So many idiots who keeps speculating how easy Sveta's road to the final.:rolleyes:

gibberish
Jun 11th, 2006, 08:07 AM
Kuznetsova had an easier path in theory. In practise it was a different matter.

teleri
Jun 11th, 2006, 08:16 PM
Well the bottom line is in other slams she won't be this lucky. Her play until the final was mediocre and she lost to Justine in straight sets when Justine was hitting half of her backhands to the net. There was another thread about Svetlana's chances at Wimbledon. It's really difficult to see here reaching to another final.

Good that she took advantage of a weak draw and did her best to reach the final but it is no way of an indication of how well she can do in other slams.

well, we'll see

goldenlox
Jun 12th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Of course it was easier than having Justine in her half.
But Sveta also won Miami, and right now is #2 in 2006 points.

Viktymise
Jun 12th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Vaidisova really helped Kuznetsova and in turn probably hurt the tournament, if she hadnt of beaten Mauresmo or if Mauresmo hadnt have choked then we would have had a huge quater final between Vee and Mauresmo and the crowd would have been going wild and if Kuznetsova had Vee in the semi's chances are she wouldnt have been in the final and we would have had another big 1 for tennis Vee-Henin so actually Vaidisova's rise this tournament was bad for tennis and was the reason why Kuznetsova was in the final

Reuchlin
Jun 12th, 2006, 04:29 PM
Vaidisova really helped Kuznetsova and in turn probably hurt the tournament, if she hadnt of beaten Mauresmo or if Mauresmo hadnt have choked then we would have had a huge quater final between Vee and Mauresmo and the crowd would have been going wild and if Kuznetsova had Vee in the semi's chances are she wouldnt have been in the final and we would have had another big 1 for tennis Vee-Henin so actually Vaidisova's rise this tournament was bad for tennis and was the reason why Kuznetsova was in the final
Didn't Sveta Open up a can of whoop-ass on Williams in Warsaw? What makes you think it would have been any different here?

Philbo
Jun 12th, 2006, 04:40 PM
She didnt have an easy draw at all.

Vaidisova was having a breakthrough tournament and had a lot of momentum. Safina had just knocked out Maria, and Schivone is a good clay courter..

goldenlox
Jun 12th, 2006, 04:43 PM
It was better than Hingis' draw, where she had to play Kim&Justine to make the final.

I think Sveta will surprise people with her grass skill

borisy
Jun 12th, 2006, 04:54 PM
She didnt have an easy draw at all.

Vaidisova was having a breakthrough tournament and had a lot of momentum. Safina had just knocked out Maria, and Schivone is a good clay courter..

Ahem...

Schiavone is 0-10 against Kim, 0-5 against Justine, 0-3 against Martina, 0-1 against Pierce, 0-2, 0-4 against Lindsay against Venus. Like Ivanovic, the only top player she can hurt is Amelie.

We have also seen many hard hitting teens having a breakthrough at a slam and reach to the semis and then burnout in the semis (Lucic, Dokic).

Kuznetsova played well in Miami and since then her game has been at best mediocre. She won the QF and SF by just putting the ball in play and watching her opponents self destruct.

But when she faced a top plyaer for the first time, she lost in straight sets to an unimpressive Justine who couldn't keep the ball in play.

Aerien
Jun 12th, 2006, 05:57 PM
It's tough beating a Top 10 player when you're the Top 10 player they have to beat. :awww: