PDA

View Full Version : Davenport may miss Wimbledon

TonyP
Jun 10th, 2006, 04:18 PM
This morning's LA Times says Lindsay Davenport is questionable for Wimbledon. The story cites her IMG agent, Tony Godsick (Mary Joe's husband), as saying Lindsay's chances of playing Wimbledon are "up in the air" right now.

The Daviator
Jun 10th, 2006, 04:19 PM
*sigh*

Please be there Lindsay :sad:

LDF
Jun 10th, 2006, 04:26 PM
:scared:

:sad:

Robbie.
Jun 10th, 2006, 04:26 PM
You could never say Lindsay was lucky thats for sure.

Drake1980
Jun 10th, 2006, 04:27 PM
:eek:

tenn_ace
is it because she's possibly preggy?

Tennisaddict
I hope she can play, she's always a different dangerous player at Wimbledon.

jonny84
I hope not.

cometz9
NOOOOOO Lindsay :bigcry:

vettipooh
Jun 10th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Hope she is fit enough to play. :sad:

Elske
Jun 10th, 2006, 04:36 PM
:sad: Don't play unless you are 100% fit Linds

mike/topgun
Jun 10th, 2006, 04:42 PM
everyday brings a new story bout Lindsay missing Wimbledon, but I still do hope she will play...
some of you pointed that her injury was *fake* and it was only to cover her intensions of skipping the clay season, but I am still concerned bout the bulging disc diagnosis she got in IW. Once again I'll repeat IT may turn out to be a career threatning injury:(
if it's pregnancy - then good for her;)

mike/topgun
Jun 10th, 2006, 04:44 PM
Don't play unless you are 100% fit Linds
Yeah, if it ever happens again:(

Loughyunijen
Jun 10th, 2006, 04:44 PM
any concrete evidence? news articals? etc etc

Marcell
Jun 10th, 2006, 04:54 PM
http://www.onthebaseline.com/2006/06/10/lindsay-davenport-may-withdraw-from-wimbledon/

FedExpress
Jun 10th, 2006, 05:27 PM
I'm not a fan of her but it's always sad when a top player miss a GS. I hope for her that she will play.

!<blocparty>!
Jun 10th, 2006, 05:30 PM
Sighs.

All my other women faves suck and have no chance of making the quarters.

jacobruiz
Jun 10th, 2006, 05:49 PM
What a shame - she will certainly be missed if she can't make this Wimbledon!:sad:

robert6061
Jun 10th, 2006, 06:05 PM
This is the worst tennis news I have heard in ages. Lindsay's wonderful career has been blighted by bad luck. Wimbledon will not be the same if she is unable to play. Nevertheless,she should not play if doing so will exacerbate the injury.
The sad thing is that she would have been one of the major contenders at this year's championships. She has been my favourite player for well over a decade and no body hits a cleaner ball than she does. She also has the most varied and effective serve in women's tennis. The fact that she has remained one of the most personable stars women's tennis has ever known is an example to everyone. Good luck Lindsay...your supporters are behind you!

The Daviator
Jun 10th, 2006, 06:25 PM
This is the worst tennis news I have heard in ages. Lindsay's wonderful career has been blighted by bad luck. Wimbledon will not be the same if she is unable to play. Nevertheless,she should not play if doing so will exacerbate the injury.
The sad thing is that she would have been one of the major contenders at this year's championships. She has been my favourite player for well over a decade and no body hits a cleaner ball than she does. She also has the most varied and effective serve in women's tennis. The fact that she has remained one of the most personable stars women's tennis has ever known is an example to everyone. Good luck Lindsay...your supporters are behind you!

What a great post Robert and I feel exactly the same way :worship: Do you post on the BBC tennis board per chance?

Her supporters are most certainly behind her, but we're hoping against hope at this stage :sad:

dav abu
Jun 10th, 2006, 06:32 PM
well said Robert we are all behind her and wishing her well. Sometimes you would honestly think the girl is cursed! It doesn't look good I'm bracing myself for her withdrawl :sad:

The Daviator
Jun 10th, 2006, 06:35 PM
well said Robert we are all behind her and wishing her well. Sometimes you would honestly think the girl is cursed! It doesn't look good I'm bracing myself for her withdrawl :sad:

Me too d_a, I keep logging on here :scared: that there'll be a thread with 'you know what' in it :unsure:

No.1Hingis
Jun 10th, 2006, 06:37 PM
WTA really miss a player like her right now.. almost all matches onRG was bored.. competitive.. come on Lindsay..

SAEKeithSerena
Jun 10th, 2006, 06:40 PM
if lindsay, mary, and serena are out, i'm sorry, but this tournament will be one of the weakest in decades

PLP
Jun 10th, 2006, 06:43 PM
The possible good news is that if she doesn't play I would think she will def. be back next year. I don't think she will retire unless it's on her own terms...but I still think there is a great chance she will play>P

sapir1434
Jun 10th, 2006, 06:59 PM
Nooo :sad:

Slumpsova
Jun 10th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Linds :sad:

bis2806
Jun 10th, 2006, 07:25 PM
Ugh Lindsay :sad:

LUIS9
Jun 10th, 2006, 07:29 PM
Has she released any news her self on her health lately? Oh God know, she'd be one of the top favorites if healthy along Venus, Sharapova and Mauresmo.

Danči Dementia
Jun 10th, 2006, 07:58 PM
*sigh*

Please be there Lindsay :sad:
:sad: :sad:
Oh Lindsay PLEASE GO come on Lindsay :bounce: :bounce:

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 10th, 2006, 08:02 PM
That would really suck :sad: No Serena, Linds, Cap :sad:

shirley
Jun 10th, 2006, 08:06 PM
:sad: Wimbledon won't be the same if Lindsay doesn't play. She's my fave player and it ruins a tournament when you don't have an out and out fave to root and cheer for!

thelittlestelf
Jun 10th, 2006, 08:08 PM
Omg.

:bigcry:

I don't want to see Lindsay play if she isn't 100% fit... but... this would be devastating :sad:.

ey7662
Jun 10th, 2006, 08:09 PM
|0|

PatM04
Jun 10th, 2006, 09:38 PM
Get well soon Lindsay, come back when you're ready!!

RJWCapriati
Jun 10th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Hope she is getting better!

No Name Face
Jun 10th, 2006, 09:41 PM
if lindsay, mary, and serena are out, i'm sorry, but this tournament will be one of the weakest in decades

lol. this is the truth. maybe lenaD can finally win a major. :spit: okay, i don't even believe that. my fave couldn't win a GS even if it was comprised of sub-top 100 players

wally1
Jun 10th, 2006, 10:03 PM
if lindsay, mary, and serena are out, i'm sorry, but this tournament will be one of the weakest in decadesIn decades? All those 3 were out of the grand slam that finished today. Or do you mean the weakest Wimbledon in decades?

Couver
Jun 10th, 2006, 10:19 PM
If she's hurt and in danger of hurting herself then I'd want her to rest. But it's nice to watch her on the grass because her game is so strong there. She's always done so well at Wimbledon too. I hope she can make it though cause even with little match play if she's even 70-80% fit she can make at least the SF, she'd definetly spice up the draw.

Brooks.
Jun 10th, 2006, 10:22 PM
Lindsay :sad:

looks like Venus is gonna be all by herself

I miss the Serena, Venus, J-Cap, Lindsay days :sad:

GracefulVenus
Jun 10th, 2006, 10:58 PM
I hope its not true. We Americans need all the help we can get right now........politically and with Tennis! Please play Lindsay.

tennisIlove09
Jun 10th, 2006, 11:03 PM
well if Lindsay is missing Wimbledon, I would guess that retirement is near. She has to know that out of all the majors, Wimbledon is her best chance at another major. I just hope she's okay and can play. Wimbledon will miss her if she does not.

The Daviator
Jun 10th, 2006, 11:18 PM
I hope its not true. We Americans need all the help we can get right now........politically and with Tennis! Please play Lindsay.

:lol: That is true I suppose :lol:

The Daviator
Jun 10th, 2006, 11:20 PM
well if Lindsay is missing Wimbledon, I would guess that retirement is near. She has to know that out of all the majors, Wimbledon is her best chance at another major. I just hope she's okay and can play. Wimbledon will miss her if she does not.

That's exactly how I feel, I the only reason she has continued is to win another Slam, and Wimbledon is her best shot, so if she's going to miss it, then what will keep her going? :confused:

I'm still hoping for a miracle...

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 10th, 2006, 11:20 PM
Please play Lindsay :sad: Wimbledon just wont be the same if shes not there. Nevermind that were already missing Serena. :help:

lindsayno1
Jun 10th, 2006, 11:41 PM
Nooooo!!!

Lindsayfan32
Jun 11th, 2006, 12:02 AM

Robert I've followed Lindsay since 1994 and I totally agree with all of your post. The latimes.com is a realiable source and if Lindsay is still carrying the injury she shouldn't play. My great hope now is that it doesn't send her into retirement as she deserves to go out on her terms.

40-0
Jun 11th, 2006, 12:14 AM
i really want her to win this year at wimb go linds

perseus2006
Jun 11th, 2006, 12:36 AM
There's another thread today concerning Hingis's looks. I noted on that thread how Hingis's looks may not be good, but it's her personality that makes her horrid.

In Lindsay's case, it's totally different. Lindsay is a class act on and off the court. She plays top tier tennis, respects her opponents, treats her fans well and respects the sport. An all around beautiful package!

Here's hoping for a rapid recovery.

The Daviator
Jun 11th, 2006, 12:42 AM
There's another thread today concerning Hingis's looks. I noted on that thread how Hingis's looks may not be good, but it's her personality that makes her horrid.

In Lindsay's case, it's totally different. Lindsay is a class act on and off the court. She plays top tier tennis, respects her opponents, treats her fans well and respects the sport. An all around beautiful package!

:worship:

I really, really hope she's at Wimbledon, but if not, and I hate even posting that, I really hope she hangs around, I think Indian Wells '08 is when she should stop, she'd be 31, and she's always said she's wanted to end it all at that tournament, but she'd be a massive loss whenever she decides to go that's for sure...

mr_burns
Jun 11th, 2006, 12:56 AM
so sad,,,not wimbledon...

auntie janie
Jun 11th, 2006, 01:01 AM
Wimbledon won't seem the same without her. :bigcry:

LindsayRulz
Jun 11th, 2006, 01:53 AM
I miss the Serena, Venus, J-Cap, Lindsay days :sad:

Me too :(

Meesh
Jun 11th, 2006, 04:11 AM

:worship::worship:

Lindsay is the reason why I started playing tennis again... played when I was a kid and then picked it back up after she won Wimby

Get well Lindsay!

Jakeev
Jun 11th, 2006, 12:01 PM

:worship:

vwfan
Jun 11th, 2006, 06:04 PM
Lindsay will have a hard time coming into Wimbledon without any match play and winning it.

If she is still nursing an injury, she should just wait out the hardcourt season. I think her best chance at another grand slam is the U.S. Open anyway. She can get some matches in during the U.S. Open series and go into it more match tough.

TomTennis
Jun 11th, 2006, 06:45 PM
Would be a real shame if she missed Wimbledon.

hingis-seles
Jun 11th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Anyone here remember Wimbledon 2000? That was such a fun Wimbledon.

Quarters:

M.Hingis vs V.Williams
S.Williams vs L.Raymond
J.Dokic vs M.Serna
L.Davenport vs M.Seles

We had both Williams sisters, Martina and Lindsay, as well as Jelena and Monica. I miss those days. :)

gmak
Jun 11th, 2006, 08:12 PM
noooooo :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: please no...
Wimbledon just won't be the same without Lindsay

i hope that she will be ok, Serena is already missing and Mary is doubtful as well...

mike/topgun
Jun 11th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Lindsay probably will miss Wimbledon, and I don't believe she has a great chance to win USO, cos there will be Kim, JHH, Venus maybe Serena if healthy - those are the players who could give her some hard time during the american hc season.
Get well soon Lindsay. You need to be 100% fit to come back.

PS.from 1998 to 2001 the WTA was as interesting as the mens tennis
now it's kinda boring due to lack of rivalries,and low quality
Vamos Rafa...poor old Fed:p

Nicbob
Jun 11th, 2006, 09:06 PM
i have a feeling davenport might pull a capriati, and just not come back as capriati is not coming back

Lindsayfan32
Jun 11th, 2006, 11:38 PM

That's the exact reason I have followed Lindsay all these years. Long before she started winning slams. She has to play iCAn watch this year as its played during my school holidays and I hope she gets better soon.

champion88
Jun 12th, 2006, 12:15 AM
aww Linds :hug:

I really really hope that you play Wimby this year- just own't be the same without you babes!

tennissportmusic
Jun 12th, 2006, 12:25 AM
Wimbledon really won't be the same without Lindsay. After what happened last year I was really hoping she could win this time.

The Daviator
Jun 12th, 2006, 01:08 AM
She's not out yet! I'm hoping that some good news is on the way...

goldenboi356
Jun 12th, 2006, 01:37 AM
:sad: :sad: :sad: i'm afraid lind's time is over for another slam. please be heathy for uso

Wannabeknowitall
Jun 12th, 2006, 01:56 AM
I'm not believing this. Who should I believe? Mary Jo Fernandez said that Lindsay was making a speedy recovery only days ago. Her husband says that she may miss Wimbledon. I'm going to have to go with Mary Jo on this one. If Lindsay has been working out on other parts of her game and body that don't have to deal with her injury, then I expect her to be at Wimbledon even if she's rusty.

LUIS9
Jun 12th, 2006, 06:31 PM
Lindsay probably will miss Wimbledon, and I don't believe she has a great chance to win USO, cos there will be Kim, JHH, Venus maybe Serena if healthy - those are the players who could give her some hard time during the american hc season.
Get well soon Lindsay. You need to be 100% fit to come back.

PS.from 1998 to 2001 the WTA was as interesting as the mens tennis
now it's kinda boring due to lack of rivalries,and low quality
Vamos Rafa...poor old Fed:p

Yup Lindsay is at a disadvantage at the US open, both Clijsters and Henin can beat her there, if Henin makes if far again at the open. Lindsay is definitely a better grass court player than both Belgians. I am sure too Serena would take no prisoners once she gets back on the courts.

MH0861
Jun 12th, 2006, 06:39 PM
Yup Lindsay is at a disadvantage at the US open, both Clijsters and Henin can beat her there, if Henin makes if far again at the open. Lindsay is definitely a better grass court player than both Belgians. I am sure too Serena would take no prisoners once she gets back on the courts.

She needs to watch out for Dementieva too. :tape:

LUIS9
Jun 12th, 2006, 06:42 PM
She needs to watch out for Dementieva too. :tape:

Not on grass. Besides Dementieva is too inconsistent, a healthy and in form Davenport is too much power even for Lena D.

MH0861
Jun 12th, 2006, 06:43 PM
Not on grass. Besides Dementieva is too inconsistent, a healthy and in form Davenport is too much power even for Lena D.

I meant at the US. ;)

mike/topgun
Jun 12th, 2006, 08:51 PM
on grass Lindsay must watch out for 4 players - Williams and possibly Sharapova/Mauresmo...can't think bout more names

vwfan
Jun 12th, 2006, 09:38 PM
on grass Lindsay must watch out for 4 players - Williams and possibly Sharapova/Mauresmo...can't think bout more namesThat's right. She's got two players, who playing their best will beat her on grass (Williams x2); and two players who can challenge her (Maria, Momo)

At the open, she has four players who playing their best will beat her on hardcourts (Williams x2; Belgiums x2); and two who can challenge her (Russians x2: Maria--though who can forget the double bagel and Dementieva).

Still, I like her chances on hardcourts better--either Aus Open or U.S. Open.

QUEENLINDSAY
Jun 12th, 2006, 09:59 PM
I'm still hoping news will turn out good before Wimby.

Anyways, US Open is still there and no matter which top player shows up there, I know you can beat them.

More Power to Lindsay!!!

PLP
Jun 12th, 2006, 10:09 PM

Do you really have to bring your hate of Hingis into this completely unrelated thread? :rolleyes:
Yeah, Martina's so horrid that Davenport is friends with her...anyway I don't think Lindsay will retire if she can't play this year, I think she will be back next year. Her results have been too good, up until very recently of course, for her to just walk away>P

PLP
Jun 12th, 2006, 10:12 PM

Quarters:

M.Hingis vs V.Williams
S.Williams vs L.Raymond
J.Dokic vs M.Serna
L.Davenport vs M.Seles

We had both Williams sisters, Martina and Lindsay, as well as Jelena and Monica. I miss those days. :)
That was a great tournament, too bad it was Martina's last good match @ Wimbledon, Davenport lost in the finals right??

Helen Lawson
Jun 12th, 2006, 10:18 PM
IMO, given she's probably going to retire at the end of the year, she'd have to have like a broken leg to be miss Wimbledon, or be pregnant.

mike/topgun
Jun 12th, 2006, 11:01 PM
That was a great tournament, too bad it was Martina's last good match @ Wimbledon, Davenport lost in the finals right??
That was a good edition of Wimbledon. Martina lost to Venus after a great battle, really high quality. Monica Vs Lindsay was a good match too. The final was an onesided story, cos Venus played SOLID and Lindsay struggled with her serve etc.
IMO, given she's probably going to retire at the end of the year, she'd have to have like a broken leg to be miss Wimbledon, or be pregnant.
Who knows...almost everyday brings another "Lindsay may miss Wimbledon" story, and there's been any statemet from herself. It starts to be really frustrating. The decison must be "up in the air" - we should wait until it falls down...

PLP
Jun 13th, 2006, 12:27 AM
:lol: ...ain't that the way...

at first I read 'Please pay Lindsay'...

Martian Stacey
Jun 13th, 2006, 12:53 AM

Quarters:

M.Hingis vs V.Williams
S.Williams vs L.Raymond
J.Dokic vs M.Serna
L.Davenport vs M.Seles

Except for the part where Martina lost to Venus ;)

I was actually cheering for Jelena at that tournament :eek: How things change :o

:sad: Lindsay, get well soon! :hug:

MrSerenaWilliams
Jun 13th, 2006, 01:15 AM
I hope Lindsay only plays if she's healthy enough. I definately want her to make a run whenever she plays next. I'd actually be REALLY happy for her if she was pregnant. She seems like she would make a GREAT mom. But get well Linds. The AELTC, might as well just GIVE Venus the trophy now...

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 13th, 2006, 01:21 AM
Recover, Linds. Just PLEASE play. Like I said before, Wimbledon won't be the same without your name in the draw. :sad:

*crosses fingers*