PDA

View Full Version : FO Finals: Justine Henin-Hardenne d. Svetlana Kuznetsova 6-4, 6-4

Mother_Marjorie
Jun 10th, 2006, 02:52 PM
Allez!

Only player from this generation to win grand slam titles in four consecutive years!

She ties Venus and Martina in total GS titles.

She won the title without dropping a set!

What AO?

GO JUSTINE!!! OUR QUEEN!

Veeko
Jun 10th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Gongratulations!

good job,henin,:bounce:

you are the best on clay!

i am really happy

LegionArgentina
Jun 10th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Well Done Justine ¡¡¡¡¡

You are the best clay court player at the moment ¡

Vaidisova
Well done Justine!!

so.krist!na
Congrats Justine :yeah:the best claycounter!
Sveta:sad:Better luck next time

Ceze
Sveta, why so many UEs :hysteric: (especially at the end of the 2nd set :help: )

Modiac.
Great job!!
I think Rafa will follow your step to win the RG's title again!

hotandspicey
Jun 10th, 2006, 02:55 PM
Congrats Justine.:bounce: Not my fav, but a very well deserved 3rd FO.

Floydrose
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

eck
Allez!!!!!!
Come on!
Congrats Justine, it's been a tough week. I'm so glad you came out on top!

jamatthews
Poor Justine, she won't be able to complete the Venus Slam now... :sad:

narrisch
Allez Justine :yeah: Claycourtqueen :worship:

Sveta :hug:

Geoffry
Jun 10th, 2006, 02:56 PM
Justine :worship:

Well deserved third RG title. Also, it was great to see a quality final at RG again. :yeah:

BK4ever
Sveta :sad: :sad:

Juju is not my fave, but you have to give credit where its due. She is mentally tough when it comes to slam finals...especially at RG

greenfunkTHREE.
Good Job JHH and Sveta

:sad: i wish sveta won!

Prizeidiot
Jun 10th, 2006, 02:57 PM
Yeah, Justine has well and truly established herself as class above anyone else on clay. All credit to her.

Svetlana should be proud as well, she's had her demons at RG. Against Vaidisova, she could've given it away in the second set, thought it wasn't meant to be for her in Paris, but she fought, and made the final.

And I'm guessing she did the best she could given who she was playing.

DragonFlame
AAAAAALLLLLLLEEEEEEEEZZZZZZ SHE DID IT!!! THE QUEEN IS BACK!!! :worship: HARDLY ANY POINTS LEFT TO DEFEND THIS YEAR!!! BRING ON THE NO1. THE DESERVING NO1.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :worship: :bounce:
CONGRATS JUSTINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D SO HAPPY!!!! :D :lol:

silverwhite
Sveta :sad: Didn't play the big points well...

ntorcida
Justine http://www.tipdana.com/forum/Smileys/default/yahoo.gif http://www.tipdana.com/forum/Smileys/default/blij.gif http://www.tipdana.com/forum/Smileys/default/ale.gif http://www.tipdana.com/forum/Smileys/default/yahoo.gif http://www.tipdana.com/forum/Smileys/default/blij.gif http://www.tipdana.com/forum/Smileys/default/ale.gif

middy
Jun 10th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Justine :woohoo: Looked a little fatigued at times, but that heat :tape: Now go Roger :rocker2: long live beautiful tennis

Sveta :sad: :hug: I felt so bad for her at the end, hope she bounces back at Wimby

faste5683
:bounce:

SweeeeeeeeeeeeeeT!

Congrats Juju :kiss:

Tough luck Seveta...

:wavey:

vettipooh
After today, I have to admire her grit and nerves of steel! Congratulations on a job well done.:yeah: Now get some rest.

crazyroberto6767
Streaky Sveta :(. Sometimes great, but unfortunately too much 'bad' today. The forehand today was pretty ugly at times. Should have made her play that last game :sad:. Blah, she'll have plenty more chances. Good luck at Eastbourne and Wimby :).

Congrats Justine.

Edit: :lol: @ the wave.

UDACHi
Jun 10th, 2006, 02:59 PM
No surprise here. Congrats, Justine. :)

Sam L
Incredible! Justine~ :clap2:

Ellery
Sveta :sad:

Congrats Justine!

tennisboi
Well done Juju:)Shame for Sveta I thought she would do better but she seemed to be injured:(but all that aside Justine deserves it she's brill on clay

tennisbuddy12
I predicted the exact same score 6-4,6-4..im proud

SloKid
Jun 10th, 2006, 03:01 PM
Sveta you fool...wasting so many chances to take control and all those UEs. :rolleyes:

Mother_Marjorie
Jun 10th, 2006, 03:01 PM
Dear Pam and Mary:

Once again, your "Ms Cleo" forecasts of boos from the French Crowd at Roland Garros were wrong. Your harsh rhetoric towards one of the most accomplished players of this generation was not only wrong, but totally misdirected.

Not only was Justine not booed, but she was cheered by the French.

Perhaps if either of you had enjoyed a penchant of success that Justine has in your singles career, you may have rethought sending jealous heat-seeking missives towards her.

Now, we totally expect you to backpedal when speaking of Justine's 2006 French Open championship in which she didn't drop one set. You simply don't know tennis or what the hell you talk about.

VS Fan
Jun 10th, 2006, 03:02 PM
With 68 unforced errors in 20 games, and only 33 winners, I wonder if we will hear that the match was an "error fest".

NAAA... Wrong players on the court to get that tag.

Congrats to Justine on her FIFTH slam title. She is a great player with a lot of poise.

Tennis Fool
Jun 10th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Sveta was in control during the mid part of the match and Justine was tiring. I went out to get something to eat. Came back and Justine was holding the trophy :eek:

Great for Justine, but I wanted Sveta to win. :(

tenn_ace
Jun 10th, 2006, 03:05 PM

Your time will come! I love you baby :hug:

turt
Jun 10th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Congrats! :D

Mr_Molik
excellent

Justeenium
yeah!!! :banana: I was too nervous to watch so I slept in .

Robbie.
It was a funny match because the scoreline looked pretty routine but Sveta was pretty much the better player for about half of it - those 8 games from 1-4 to 4-6, 2-0 30-0. Sveta came out playing very poorly and basically handed Henin an unassailable lead in the first set. She then discovered that from the back of the court she was atleast Justine's equal and often her superior. She was patient, moved the ball around, waited for her opportunities in the rallies and then capitalised. The heavy topspin and pace was giving Justine fits. At one point Sveta had won 15/18 of rallies with eight shots or more.

But then at 2-0 30-0 and really in control she decided she was going to go back to what she did in the first four games and try to blast winners on the first or second ball :retard: When Henin broke back there, I knew the match was over.

Henin will be the best player in the world until others grow some brain and/or balls or Serena gets off her behind and starts playing some tournaments again. She's the only one with the game AND the mental strength to beat Justine on these stages.

Filadidas
Justine :woohoo: Looked a little fatigued at times, but that heat :tape: Now go Roger :rocker2: long live beautiful tennis

Same here middy!!! So happy to see Justine win it!! Now, go Roger!!! :bounce:

nhissan
Jun 10th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Only Petrova could stop Hénin damn sad tournament with no drama except Vaidisova run

Justine Fan
Jun 10th, 2006, 03:08 PM
Congratulations Justine ...... I'm sooooooo sooooo proud of you! :bounce: :worship:

Some facts:

Some JHH factoids...

JHH wins her third Roland Garros singles title. No other active player on the wTA has more than one Roland Garros title.

JHH extends her run of winning at least 1 slam each year to 4 years (2003, 2004, 2005, 2006) A record run amongst currently active WTA players

JHH pulls level with Venus and Hingis on 5 slam titles (joint second amongst currently active WTA players)

She's the first woman since Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario in 1994 to win Roland Garros without dropping a set.

JHH improves her slam match record for the year to 13-1 - the best on the tour so far.

She rises to 3rd in the new entry rankings, and moves to the top of the Race - with only about 400 points or so to defend for the rest of the year, if she stays healthy she has a decent chance of returning to No.1 before the year is out

bandabou
Jun 10th, 2006, 03:08 PM
Great win for Justine....shows that offense beats defense most of the time. Sveta was just waaaaayyyyy to passive for the most of the part. Justine had like a serve % of 30-something in the second set, yet Sveta couldn't even muster a breakpoint? Then it is boom boom by Justine and game is over. The last point was illustrating for Sveta.

<Sven>
Jun 10th, 2006, 03:09 PM
Congrats Justine!!!
You played an amazing tournament! Nobody could disturb you

schris
Jun 10th, 2006, 03:10 PM
Congratulations Justine!!! :bounce:

cellophane
Jun 10th, 2006, 03:10 PM

I hate this time of year... looking forward to Wimbledon.

bandabou
Jun 10th, 2006, 03:11 PM
Wow...some nice stats by Juju...might end up as the greatest of the after Williams-generation. and is putting more and more asteriks after Momo's oz open. ;)

Apoleb
Jun 10th, 2006, 03:12 PM
It was a funny match because the scoreline looked pretty routine but Sveta was pretty much the better player for about half of it - those 8 games from 1-4 to 4-6, 2-0 30-0. Sveta came out playing very poorly and basically handed Henin an unassailable lead in the first set. She then discovered that from the back of the court she was atleast Justine's equal and often her superior. She was patient, moved the ball around, waited for her opportunities in the rallies and then capitalised. The heavy topspin and pace was giving Justine fits. At one point Sveta had won 15/18 of rallies with eight shots or more.

But then at 2-0 30-0 and really in control she decided she was going to go back to what she did in the first four games and try to blast winners on the first or second ball :retard: When Henin broke back there, I knew the match was over.

Henin will be the best player in the world until others grow some brain and/or balls or Serena gets off her behind and starts playing some tournaments again. She's the only one with the game AND the mental strength to beat Justine on these stages.

That's a bit of an unfair assessment of the match. Justine played a stunning game at 3-3 (I think) in the second set to break Kuznetsova. She gave her absolutely no chance in that game and really pulled another gear. That game pretty much earned her the match.

Justine has become a master of doing enough to win matches. She ups her game when she needs it mostly.

BK4ever
Jun 10th, 2006, 03:12 PM
Sveta lost the match at 4-6 2-0 30-0
she never really recovered after she blew that game-she stopped believing

I hope she can recover from this disappointment and kick ass on grass!

Robbie.
Jun 10th, 2006, 03:13 PM
Great win for Justine....shows that offense beats defense most of the time. Sveta was just waaaaayyyyy to passive for the most of the part. Justine had like a serve % of 30-something in the second set, yet Sveta couldn't even muster a breakpoint? Then it is boom boom by Justine and game is over. The last point was illustrating for Sveta.

What are you on about? Sveta was at her best in this match when she was patient and created opportunities. And yes the last point was illustrative - she didnt get the return in play. When she was controlling the match - from 1-4 to 4-6 2-0 she was getting all her returns in play, waiting for her opportunities and outlasting Justine in rallies. In Henin's last two service games she barely got a return in play. Hence the loss.

AJZ.
good job justine
too bad svetlana

bmwofoz
Congrats to Justine on winning the French.

Gee no suprise really, she is a great player with a wonderful Backhand.

Drake1980
Jun 10th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Congrats Justine:banana:

Bart
Jun 10th, 2006, 03:15 PM
Congrats Justine! :bounce: :worship:

mc8114
Jun 10th, 2006, 03:15 PM
Congratulations Justine.
Good tourment Kuzzy.

The Daviator
Jun 10th, 2006, 03:16 PM
Justine is simply amazing :worship: I thought the reaction after the AO debacle would have taken a lot out of her, but here she is with another Slam...

Sveta :hug: At least you made it sort of competitive, certainly it was Justine's toughest final in Paris...

Now, on to Wimbledon :bounce:

Jodie
Jun 10th, 2006, 03:17 PM
Justine! :D

Sveta :hug:

Joana
Justine :hearts:
Roland Garros :hearts:
Clay :hearts:

:woohoo:

Experimentee
Too many errors and couldnt take opportunities :(

Wintermute
Well done Justine! :D

This match could easily have gone to three sets but Sveta didn't take her opportunities while Justine definitely won the important points.

Now kick ass tomorrow Roger!

Robbie.
Jun 10th, 2006, 03:19 PM
That's a bit of an unfair assessment of the match. Justine played a stunning game at 3-3 (I think) in the second set to break Kuznetsova. That game pretty much earned her the match.

Justine has become a master of doing enough to win matches. She ups her game when she needs it mostly.

I dont recall saying Henin didnt play well at stages. Unfortunately by 3-3, the match was already pretty much in Henin's keeping. Sveta played her best tennis at the end of the first set and at the start of the second - a decent eight game stretch. However unfortunately when that purple patch was over she was still a set down and only on serve in the second. That's demoralising.

If she had have held that game at 2-0, instead of giving it away with 4 brash errors, the story migth have different.

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jun 10th, 2006, 03:19 PM
ALLEZ JUSTINE!!!
3rd RG Title in 4 years... what an achievment :bounce::bounce::bounce:

Great game by the way... but I missed the second half totally because I was watching England... and it was boring :p

Well... Wimby is about 3 weeks ahead. Now grab the elusive slam ;)

P.S: I won 2000+ VCash thanks to her victory :lol:. Now... to change my signature :devil:

vejh
Jun 10th, 2006, 03:20 PM
Sveta said something just now that I did notice; she said Juju did not play the game she expected. And that's so true. between the semis and finals, juju opted for a more defensive style of play. It is a smart move considering her opponents. When she did play offensively, 3/3 in the 2nd, she broke Sveta easily.

SvetaPleaseWin.
sveta :sad: :sad:

way too patchy-didnt take her chances, the match should have at least gone to 3 sets

cometz9
Congratulations to Justine :bigclap: on winning your 3rd RG, she definitely can become No.1 with nothing to to defend on grass.
Sveta :sad: wasted opportunities to at least make it more competitive but hope you'll recovered for the grass season, she'll do some damaged there also.

bandabou
Jun 10th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Yep...Juju was at her best, again, when the stakes were the highest.

Nemesis
Jun 10th, 2006, 03:23 PM
Justine! :D A season without a clay title, it couldn't be. Saved the best for last.

Mediocre match. Not good, but at least better than the past three finals together.

bandabou
Jun 10th, 2006, 03:24 PM
what I meant to say is time after time, Sveta had Justine on the defensive with those forehand blasts to the backhand..all Juju could do was slice and slice, instead of stepping in and then hit to the open court, e.g. Justine's forehand corner, she would meakly hit the ball again to Justine's backhand....Justine takes over and wins the point.

Alvarillo
Jun 10th, 2006, 03:26 PM
Congrats Justine, the best clay court player actually :worship:
Congrats Sveta, the best finalist since Venus Williams in 2002 :worship:

finally a good final after 3 horrible attemps!
hope to see Sveta in more GS fonals since now!
she has the game to be at the top!

itzhak
Jun 10th, 2006, 03:27 PM
justine won RG...oh well, something new?

Justine Fan
Jun 10th, 2006, 03:28 PM
Dear Pam and Mary:

Once again, your "Ms Cleo" forecasts of boos from the French Crowd at Roland Garros were wrong. Your harsh rhetoric towards one of the most accomplished players of this generation was not only wrong, but totally misdirected.

Perhaps if either of you had enjoyed a penchant of success that Justine has in your singles career, you may have rethought sending jealous heat-seeking missives towards her.

Now, we totally expect you to backpedal when speaking of Justine's 2006 French Open championship in which she didn't drop one set. You simply don't know tennis or what the hell you talk about.

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Bероника
Jun 10th, 2006, 03:29 PM
:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: Sveta

Chapeau & congrats to JHH and her fans! She was the better player today and deserved to win.Sveta was way too hesitant and erratic,but she can go home happy,great tourney also for her.And better luck next year!!! :hug:

At least it cheered me up a bit seeing Martina Navratilova present the trophies :worship: :D

denine
Jun 10th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Great job, justine! :worship:

gladysharon
Jun 10th, 2006, 03:30 PM
WOOHOO Congrats Justine!!
You are indeed the Queen of Clay and the history books are re-written all over again. :worship:

tard~tard
Jun 10th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Dear Pam and Mary:

You forgot to mention Brad Gilbert's bashing comments
on JHH in your speech MarJenAll20. :lol:

I stand in awe for you Madame Justine Henin Hardenne!
:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Congratulations to Svetlana for reaching her first RG Final!

lee station
Jun 10th, 2006, 03:34 PM
Yeah

.ivy.
Jun 10th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Congratulations Justine! :D

Teemu
Jun 10th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Congrats Justine!
She didn't lose a set, huh? Very impressive. :)

gladysharon
Jun 10th, 2006, 03:40 PM
Madame Justine Henin Hardenne...

ooo I always like to hear that haha! :clap2: :dance: :yeah:

NaturalBlues
Jun 10th, 2006, 03:44 PM
Not a spectacular match, but not super boring either (compared to last year and the year before that.. and the year before that :p ).
It was.. decent.

A lovely speech by Justine (altough she forgot to mention Kuzzie) and many congrats :hug:

Kart
Jun 10th, 2006, 03:44 PM
Congrats to Justine - she didn't play her best but she turned it up when she needed to :worship: and Sveta made her earn it.

Sveta :sad: too sporadic in your brilliance :(.

Filip!
Jun 10th, 2006, 03:49 PM
Dear Pam and Mary:

Great post !
Justine answered on court today. The more you bash Justine, the more Juju will let it explode in your own face.

améliemomo
Jun 10th, 2006, 03:55 PM
sveta :hug:

you were not at your top form today,but you fought.Congrats for your first Roland Garros Finale, hopefully next time you will win it. ;)

natacha1
Jun 10th, 2006, 03:56 PM
I am proud to be a jufan :kiss:

Sandra.P
Jun 10th, 2006, 03:57 PM
Congratulations Justine on your 5th Grand Slam title :bounce:

kosmikgroove
Jun 10th, 2006, 04:02 PM
:hearts: justine! :hearts:

saima
Jun 10th, 2006, 04:04 PM
congrats justine :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

you deserve it. :) :) :)

robert6061
Jun 10th, 2006, 04:04 PM
Justine was darned impressive today. Svetlana got off to a slow start yet again which proved to be her undoing. Losing her serve twice in the first set seemed to seal her fate and in spite of an impressive comeback at the end of the first set,the damage had unfortunately been done. Svetlana unquestionably was the stronger player in the opening games of the second set;Mats Wilander said during his commentary for Eurosport that he was convinced that Svetlana would take it into a third set. However, Justine raised her level yet again and pulled out a victory in two. In spite of the unforced errors, it was a quality final and the best since Capriati beat Clijsters.
Justine's record in Grand Slams is mightily impressive...at least one grand slam every year since 2003. Winning this year's French Open without losing a set is a remarkable accomplishment. My gut feeling is that the only player who could have really challenged her this year was Petrova.
At the end of the match,Wilander said that he is sure that within the next two or three years Svetlana will reach world number one. I definitely agree with that.
But today belonged to Justine...la reine de la terre battue!

xXSarajevoXx
Jun 10th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Congrats Justine :)

janjan
Jun 10th, 2006, 04:13 PM
Justine,You are real champion,Yeah that's tennis that's life.
Congratulations!!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: Justine!!!:drool:

FedExpress
Jun 10th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Congrats Juju :yeah:

robert6061
Jun 10th, 2006, 04:16 PM
What exactly did Mary and Pam say during their commentary for ESPN. I would have loved to have heard it.

Justineladivine
Jun 10th, 2006, 04:18 PM
What exactly did Mary and Pam say during their commentary for ESPN. I would have loved to have heard it.

Probably that the French never do anything the way they ought to... that you can never trust them to support you when you have to fight the forces of evil, and so on and so forth

SelesFan70
Jun 10th, 2006, 04:20 PM
JHH extends her run of winning at least 1 slam each year to 4 years (2003, 2004, 2005, 2006) A record run amongst currently active WTA players

Which makes Chris Evert's run of 13 years in a row with at least 1 Major seem all the more astounding! :bowdown:

Congratulations, Justine! A French title and an Australian Final this year! :worship: (I still won't forgive you for quitting the Oz, though :angel: ).

Svetlana... :(

vejh
Jun 10th, 2006, 04:20 PM
It was John and Carillo. They just thought Henin knew exactly when to lift her game. They said in order for Sveta to win she should do more grinding (which she tried, but that got tiring mighty quickly).

I wasn't overly impressed with Henin today, but she was very effective. I was very impressed with that game she played at 3/3 in the 2nd (I thought she should have played like that throughout the entire match).

Today, she chose to be a dirtball grinder, and threw Sveta off her game. She forced Sveta to do something with the ball, and we see how that turned out.

It was a smart match by juju!!

Allez juju!! So happy she won!!

TFan1156
Jun 10th, 2006, 04:24 PM
And I'm guessing she did the best she could given who she was playing.

It had nothing to do with what was going on across the net but was between Kuz`s ears... Justine was on the ropes, obviously the physically weaker of the two, Kuz up 2-1 second set serving and tanks 4 points in a row. From there the flood of giveaways kept coming where at one point she lost like 13 of 14 points. Yea, niceities are good, to the press, but on a message boards you may as well get real. What a choker... :rolleyes:

vejh
Jun 10th, 2006, 04:28 PM
How about juju's giveaways? I thought they were very many generous offerings by her today. But that's a part of tennis; alot of it is mental, and juju's got it.

Dexter
Jun 10th, 2006, 04:29 PM
Congratulations Justine on your 3rd RG trophy and 5th GS win! :worship: :bounce:
Tears of joy as she lifts the trophy :angel:
Incredible performance - not even a set dropped throughout the whole tournament :eek: :bowdown:

Swieta :hug: ;)

King Aaron
Jun 10th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Congratulations Justine. :)

Sveta :hug: :hug:

vejh
Jun 10th, 2006, 04:34 PM
Juju's getting mentally tougher. Still a bit nervous before and during the big matches, but her will to win is very strong. I'm proud of her.

Lady
Jun 10th, 2006, 04:34 PM
My 1st question was "How in the hell Ju won it with that play?"

But

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! :banana: :bounce:
Thank you, Ju! :D

And I'm sure Sveta will achieve a lot in her career, she's so good! :D

**Jelica**
Jun 10th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Yaaaaay! Way to go Justine! :bounce:

I'm so happy for her :D and I'm ashamed I doubted her now. This really puts her into a different sphere now, and I hope soooo much that she can carry this through to Wimbledon now and make it a full set ;)

But Lady you're right... My God :eek: Justine!

xulilixu
Jun 10th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Yay, Justine! Even though she didn't win any warm-up clay tournaments, I knew she would bring it at RG. :cool:

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jun 10th, 2006, 04:43 PM
Maybe the WTA and RG officials should change the FO (French Open) to JO (Justine Open) since she keeps winning there :lol:

By the way, it's strange cheo23 haven't posted anything yet in here... I wonder how his/her post would be... ;)

purplerain
Jun 10th, 2006, 04:45 PM
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:
:hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

cheo23
Jun 10th, 2006, 04:54 PM
THATS MY QUEEN JUSTINE!!!!!!!!!!:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

CONGRATULATIONS MRS. FRENCH OPEN OPEN CHAMPION: QUEEN JUSTINE!!!!!!:yeah: :bigclap: :worship:

OMG! U won this GRAND SLAM TITLE 3 TIMES ALREADY & finally on an EVEN # YEAR!!! :lol: U GO GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!

although u looked fatigued & tired out there....U played awesome on IMPORTANT points.

that game in the 2nd set 3 all....what BEAUTIFUL RETURNS u hit & played extremely aggressive.

by the way, U SERVED AWESOME, when u had to CLOSE OUT.:yeah:

LETS CELEBRATE, BITCHES!!!!!!!!!:lol:

Vut
Jun 10th, 2006, 04:55 PM
:yeah: Juju

sapir1434
Jun 10th, 2006, 04:58 PM
Svetlana! :sad: :sad: :sad: why so many errors??? :sad: how disappointing. :crying2:

Congrats to Justine!

strato
Jun 10th, 2006, 05:01 PM
Such a boring match... but congrats Juju !

lee station
Jun 10th, 2006, 05:06 PM
http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/8084/06rgfinal1xy.jpg

rue
Jun 10th, 2006, 05:09 PM
Well done to Justine, she truly is the best fighter in women's tennis. Now that she successfully defended her title, Nadal should do the same tomorrow.

daniela86
Jun 10th, 2006, 05:13 PM
A lot of worships to Justine :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:
Huge congrats for the incredibly impressive tournament! :kiss: :cool: :yeah:

loppy
Jun 10th, 2006, 05:15 PM
Well done, Justine! RG three-peat! You made me so happy! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Good luck on grass!!!

skanky~skanketta
Jun 10th, 2006, 05:19 PM
fabulous!i was absolutely thrilled when she finally won it!:worship:

so what if she didn't win any of the warm-ups? she brought it to the big one!

now lets go win wimbledon!

Belmont Lad
Jun 10th, 2006, 05:24 PM
After the last three horrendous womens finals, thank god this one lasted more than an hour and was at least competetive! JHH is just so strong in GS play, I tip my hat to her and her victory. As for Sveta, she played well in the stretch from 1-4 in the first to 3-2 in the second, but that's about it. Better luck next time :)

Justeenium
Jun 10th, 2006, 05:29 PM
what happened to that thread saying Henin will not win the french this year.

dav abu
Jun 10th, 2006, 05:37 PM
Congratulations to Justine - what an achievement :clap2: She is the undisputed Queen of Clay. Hard luck to Sveta - not to be :hug: better luck next time.

Sharapova's_Boy
Jun 10th, 2006, 05:37 PM
Sveta :sad: :sad: :sad:

SAEKeithSerena
Jun 10th, 2006, 05:39 PM
congrats to her, even though she's not my fave. 3 titles in 4 years is amazing and that is noteworthy.

Cashif
Jun 10th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Congrats JUJU :woohoo::banana:

No.1Hingis
Jun 10th, 2006, 05:47 PM
I looked at .. dont know who she is.. but really was complained about Justine acttitud of AO.. about NOT TO FIGHT and HEART.. etc..

The answer is clear.. here.. one latin commentors was in her side.. other just said that they are not Justine and nobody can tell never what Justine was feeling, thinking or suffering to made desicion she made.. so..

Controversial but.. already before RG to start.. We all known that Justine was the #1 fav for this toyney so.. she corresponded this Mrs.. with RG tittle.. just that.. REALLY I FEEL THAT CAPSULE ABOUT JUSTINE ON ESPN WAS .. IN FACT.. ABOUT BAD TASTE...

Better.. they most not to show the match .. Im not justificating Justine.. cause I get my PERSONAL opinion on it... but.. well.. I dont know.. BAD for ESPN .. really..

diekedelver
Jun 10th, 2006, 06:00 PM
Juju :banana: :banana:

Kworb
Jun 10th, 2006, 06:12 PM
:zzz: Very boring match. Kuznetsova was a bit disappointing. Congrats to Justine, it was a well deserved victory

Eugenia
Jun 10th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Congratulations Justine!!! :banana: Allez!!! :bounce: :woohoo:

Libertango
Jun 10th, 2006, 08:05 PM
Well, congrats to Justine :)

I can safely say, that this has been THEE MOST BORING FRENCH OPEN, EVER!!!!!!! :zzz:

RJWCapriati
Jun 10th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Congratulations Justine - you steamrolled everyone - well deserved!!

Thauron
Jun 10th, 2006, 08:16 PM
Congratulations to Henin, well deserved

Good match from her, rather good match from Kuznetsova too, but she squandered too many opportunities, especially in the second set to be a real threat.

Henin should be glad too that Kuznetsova took a slow start, from halfway the first to the first two games of the second Kuznetsova was in fact the better player IMO.

Anyway, Henin can now safely claim the title of best clay courter of her generation, if she couldn't already.

jonny84
Jun 10th, 2006, 08:17 PM
Congratulations to Justine.

Congratulations must also go to Kuznetsova for making the final - after a bit of a blip her game is finally coming back together again!

~Carsten~
Jun 10th, 2006, 08:39 PM
Congrats Justine! :)

cheo23
Jun 10th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Here is Queen Justine's transcript interview......

Q. You're 24 years old. You've won five Grand Slams. Assuming there's only one Belgian that's going to retire in a year and a half, can you win as many as 10 Grand Slams before you decide tennis is over for you?

JUSTINE HENIN‑HARDENNE: I'm not thinking too much about that right now. But every time on walk on the court, in a Grand Slam or not, I just try to give my best. That's what I'm doing for a couple of years now.

And that brought me results. It's been a lot of sacrifices in my career, a lot of work. And now, I mean, that really pays off. And even if I had a lot of trouble the last two years, I keep winning a major title every year so that's not a bad average.

I'm very happy the way it went this week. Winning here for the third time means maybe more than the fifth Grand Slam for me, I mean, because it's physically and mentally very hard on clay. I've been very calm during the whole tournament, even if I never really played my best tennis. I played very well on the crucial points, and today again. So I'm very, very happy the way it goes right now.

Q. What was happened with Amélie Mauresmo in Australia always in the back of your mind to drive you until the end?

JUSTINE HENIN‑HARDENNE: Not really. It wasn't a kind of revenge. I been very frustrating. Last January I couldn't take my opportunities to win a fifth one at that time, and this time I knew it was another opportunity and I took it.

So I wanted to forget about what happened in Melbourne, but it was a little bit in my mind. But it was more motivation than a revenge. I'm just happy. It was my second Grand Slam final this year, and I could win it. So I am more and more happy today.

Q. I know you're a big admirer of Steffi Graf when you were growing up. What does it mean to be the first person to defend the title here since she did?

JUSTINE HENIN‑HARDENNE: It's pretty amazing. I mean, she won here six times. She's a real champion. I think Sanchez, Seles won here three times and now me. So it's amazing to be, you know, with all these names.

But it's only my fifth Grand Slam. I will never be like all these players. I give my best all the time. I'm very proud of what I'm doing. But life keeps going. Even if I enjoy it right now, I know in tennis you have to start again, start again.

I want to enjoy it, but I know that after there will be other tournaments and I don't have to forget about that.

Q. How much credit do you give to your coach Carlos on all this success that you've had?

JUSTINE HENIN‑HARDENNE: A lot. I mean, you never know what could happen if I never met him, but that's the way it went.

Now in June it's 10 years, 10 years of trust, 10 years of respect, 10 years of ups and downs, and we still together. So it's amazing. I will never play tennis without him. That's the only thing I know right now.

And, again, this week, it could find the words. Before a few matches I wasn't feeling that well. He knows me so well, he knows how to talk to me. He always finds the good words to talk to me, so that's very important. He's a big part of my success for sure.

Q. Even if it's not very original, can you give us three different feelings you had in the three different wins in Roland Garros? Three different objective for each of them.

JUSTINE HENIN‑HARDENNE: Yeah, the first one was very emotional because it was the first Grand Slam I won. And then it was the confirmation last year. And then this year, it's, I don't know, right now I cannot find the words to describe it. It's too early right now.

But I know when you win three times the same tournament, it probably means a lot, especially in this kind of tournament on clay. It's very tough to win here. So right now, I still not realize that I won three times the French Open. Maybe tomorrow I can answer better your question.

Q. Svetlana seemed to be coming back into the match a couple of times there. You seemed to effectively shut the door on her. Can you talk about her game, how you lifted your game, do you think experience mattered there?

JUSTINE HENIN‑HARDENNE: Yeah, she's been very powerful. She tried to put a lot of pressure on my serve. I was playing too short. Physically I did suffer a lot. It was time for me that this Grand Slam would end because I wasn't sleeping well at all for a couple of nights. I was feeling very tired with the heat also.

So I just, when she came back in the match, just trying to play point after point. There were crucial games. And, you know, this game at 4‑3 in the first set, I could go to 5‑3, was very important. Then in the second set, she gave me some error, 2‑0, 30‑Love. Then I come back to 2‑1. But she did a couple of mistakes at that point, and that was very important for me to come back very early in the set. Then crucial game at 3‑All in the second. I played my best tennis. I did return and volley. I took the opportunity.

So I probably didn't play my best tennis during the whole match, but at very important games, that's what I did. That's been the same during all my seven matches this week. So I'm very happy about that.

Q. Justine, on court, for you, what is the more important weapon, your heart or your mind?

JUSTINE HENIN‑HARDENNE: Oh, it's tough. It's a bit of everything. I mean, you just try to give your best on every shot, and I've been very calm during these last two weeks, more than in the other Grand Slams I won in the past.

So, no, I just fight on every ball, and that's very important. For sure I feel the surface much better than the other surfaces. I can slide. I have more time to organize my game. I have good defense. So that ‑‑ I know that all these kind of players, they don't like when the ball is coming back all the time. That's what I try to do in my last couple of matches, and it really went well.

Q. In terms of your mental toughness, your fighting spirit, how has Carlos helped you and taught you in that area?

JUSTINE HENIN‑HARDENNE: Yeah, a lot. When I was a bit younger, when I arrived on the tour, I had a couple opportunities here in the semifinal in 2001, and I won. I lost a couple of very close matches. At that time, everyone was saying that I wasn't strong enough mentally. And then, you know, I started to build something. I started to work on myself with Carlos. He always found the good words to help me. If there is someone who really believe I could become No. 1 and win Grand Slams, it was him, and he was telling me this every day. That's what happened. So for sure he's a big part of what happened in the last few years.

But when you're on the court, you alone and you have to take your responsibilities. That's what I'm doing right now.

Q. There are players on this tour in the Top 10 who not only play tennis but appear in motion pictures, television, they model for high‑fashion magazines. You're a very fundamental person, both personally and in your tennis. How did you arrive at that philosophy, that that's the way you wanted to live your life?

JUSTINE HENIN‑HARDENNE: I'm very different from a lot of players. And that's good to have different kind of personalties and different kind of styles of game in the women's tennis. I think that's very important.

But for me, what I love in the life I have, it's just to be on the court and to fight on the court and to push my limits. The other things, I'm not really interested. I mean, the best part is when I'm on the court, and then it's part ‑‑ everything else I have to do, it's part of my job and I accept it, but that's not why I'm playing tennis. I'm playing tennis because of these very close situations. Today, you know, this tightness, when you're nervous, on the crucial points, on breakpoints, that's what I love.

Q. This is only one of the titles of a huge collection, because we are talking about Sampras, about the possibility of Grand Slam in male tennis, but you got to the final in Wimbledon. So, I mean, you want more, or you're gonna stop?

JUSTINE HENIN‑HARDENNE: No, I'm not gonna stop playing tennis. It's not in my personality. I keep saying I want a long‑term career.

But if I want to do this, I have to stay healthy. To stay healthy, I have to take the good decisions. That's going to be very important for me. I have the feeling it's been another career that started for me this year because I really realize if I want to keep playing a few more years, I have to take care of myself.

So maybe it's more important the quality than playing too many tournaments. So Wimbledon remains a dream in my career, a goal for sure. There will be ‑‑ I mean, that would be the best. But I don't know. We'll see.

Q. Do you think you are the top of your possibilities technically and physically, or do you think you can do more? Which part of your career do you think you are?

JUSTINE HENIN‑HARDENNE: Which is good is that I won this Grand Slam without playing my best tennis all the time, and that's very important because sometimes you don't hit the ball as well as you would love to. But that's ‑‑ you have to accept it.

But when you facing a breakpoint and you playing well on that point, that's very important. I know that mentally it's been very good these last two weeks. And then I know I still have to work on the fact that I lose a lot of energy because I'm very nervous during a Grand Slam, and at the end I start to feel it. I'm getting tired a little bit. It's not a question of conditioning problem, it's just a question of that I'm thinking too much about what's happening in the tournament.

But it's in my personality, and I will probably never change about that. So I accept it and I live with that.

THE MODERATOR: Questions in French, please.

Q. You just said you were happy because you didn't play at your best level, you were nervous. How can you explain that this is a Grand Slam where you were the most calm? How can you explain that?

JUSTINE HENIN‑HARDENNE: Well, that's the point. I was able to manage my nervousness. Nervousness is present for all players. I don't believe a player can sleep well the day before a final here. I don't believe it's possible. This is the reason why there's a difference between the top players and those who win the major tournaments. It's normal to feel that. After, you have to manage it. How do you manage your tension? That makes a difference.

In the past I was taken over by those emotions. I couldn't manage them. But these two weeks, I accepted that things were not going too well all the time and that I was playing not so good, and I was able to manage that a lot better than in the past. Winning a Grand Slam without losing a set is not insignificant, and I was able to pull out from complicated situations during those two weeks, and I was very calm. This is why I was able to get out of it.

If I had lost my nerves, the task would have been more difficult.

Q. Can we say that today experience won, and how can we win against you?

JUSTINE HENIN‑HARDENNE: I don't believe nobody can beat me on clay, not at all. I believe today the difference was a couple of points, the important points. There was that game at 4‑3 in the first set where I was able to break back. And in the second set, at 2‑Love, 30‑Love, she let me come back into the match. At 3‑All, I played the best game of the whole match, and that was enough after to go towards victory.

So I managed those moments better, even though we might say she was more solid than I was.

Q. But how can we win against you?

JUSTINE HENIN‑HARDENNE: It's the other players who have to think about how to beat me.
Q. The third final here in Paris, wasn't it the one where you were most nervous and more tired?

JUSTINE HENIN‑HARDENNE: Not maybe most nervous, but the conditions were difficult. It was windy in the beginning of the match, and it was very hot. There were weather changes a lot during the past two weeks, so I felt I had this opportunity of winning a Grand Slam. It made me nervous.

But in the end, I managed that well. It was very difficult today, but I was able to manage. Of course I lost a lot of energy at the end of the tournament because I wasn't able to sleep. That's it. But this is part of me.

Of course when I play too defensive, it's not a physical problem, it's because I step back and I get more tired compared with when I control the situation.

Q. We say that you are the best on clay today. Do you believe it?

JUSTINE HENIN‑HARDENNE: I don't think about that kind of thing. I try to win every match that I have to play. Of course clay is my easiest surface, but I lost also matches on clay this year. You have to ask to those players how they managed to beat me.

I take everything I can. It's a bonus for me. I didn't believe one day I could win three times here. Now everything is a plus. It's great.

Q. Were you surprised by the way she played and the way she became nervous also?

JUSTINE HENIN‑HARDENNE: No, but I knew she was going to try to pressure me. I expected that. She wanted to do something else than the last times we played together.

But at one stage, she started making mistakes. At an important moment, I put pressure on her, and this changed the end of the match. I was happy to win in two sets. It was important for me today.

Q. There was a beautiful wave in the crowd at one stage and after another time also you laughed.

JUSTINE HENIN‑HARDENNE: Well, it helped me because in those moments you have to wait a little bit, let things calm down and not be in a hurry. So it was good for me to wait. So it was useful for me.

But I felt a lot of emotion.

Q. You said you didn't sleep before a final. But do you sleep before doing your parachuting?

JUSTINE HENIN‑HARDENNE: Yes, I sleep. Tomorrow I might jump.

Q. It's your fifth Grand Slam. Do you have the impression you opened a new door? Before it was two, three, now it's five.

JUSTINE HENIN‑HARDENNE: It's difficult to say. There are no rules. But five is becoming a big figure. When I started playing, people thought I had a lot of quality in tennis. People were saying, She's talented. But then they realized that physically I worked a lot and that I was strong mentally, so I changed a lot in a few years.

So maybe it's a revenge now, because many people thought I could do that in my career, and I did it now. It's very satisfying. But it's not an end. I'm going to continue to work and to give everything as I've been doing the past years. The major thing is health. During the first six months of the year, I proved it, although it's still difficult, but consistency is there. I'm able to play tournament after tournament.
Q. The results of a career, is it something you are thinking about? What is most important in women's tennis for you?

JUSTINE HENIN‑HARDENNE: Some players did things that cannot be repeated. There were great champions. I wouldn't even dream of comparing myself to them. It's incredible winning so many Grand Slams. It just can inspire your respect.

As far as I'm concerned, I try to follow my path. Everyone has a different history. I try to give my best. Now my results are starting to be more numerous, and it's wonderful because it's been more than 20 years that I've been giving everything for that. I started playing tennis when I was five years old. Since then, my life depended on tennis and was guided by tennis, so it's important to know those big moments of happiness, and it gives you strength for the future.
Q. What is the most difficult thing in tennis? Isn't it to play the French Open and Wimbledon after?

JUSTINE HENIN‑HARDENNE: I don't even want to think about it. It's very difficult. Not many players are able to do that.

But in Wimbledon, it's another story for me. I'm not as familiar with the surface as here. I'll see what I can do. I'm dreaming of winning Wimbledon one day. It would be the cherry on the cake. We'll see what the future will say. I have a few years ahead of me.

Q. You believe you can join all the major champions of the world? Which champion do you want to sit next to?

JUSTINE HENIN‑HARDENNE: I'm not thinking about that. I would like to win again the French Open, several times in the future. But the only thing that counts is working every day, daily work. Of course you need to have ambition, but you have to remain realistic. The daily work is very hard. I think very few people can realize that.

So I'm going to try to enjoy my tennis, to enjoy being on the court in good health, and we'll see what the future has for me. I have many years ahead of me, I hope.

Q. You dedicated part of your victory to Denis. Can we know who it is?

JUSTINE HENIN‑HARDENNE: No, it's something private. He was with me in difficult moments, and I wanted to say I was thinking about him today.

Q. All this work you've been achieving, do you feel that sometimes just a little thing can change everything, you don't have a hundred percent confidence?

JUSTINE HENIN‑HARDENNE: Well, when you play the final, the opponent wants the same thing that you do and you can't give up for a second. The opponent wants the same thing that you want, so it's not simple.

Even Federer has doubts, and he's the greatest at the time, and certainly for a certain time still. But sometimes I can see him on the court not feeling good, and I'm sure he doesn't sleep well before big matches. There's no reason why it should be different for champions.

Q. Do you have an explanation for why you didn't play your best tennis today or during this tournament?

JUSTINE HENIN‑HARDENNE: Well, it's not really important now. It doesn't count. What people are going to remember is that I played well from the beginning to the end or that I won the French Opens. It's not important how.

bellascarlett
Jun 10th, 2006, 09:09 PM
Justine! :banana: :worship:

Very happy for you. Well-deserved I say. Congrats! :)

But like some have said, that was such a boring final. I had to keep on reminding myself that it was a grandslam final lol.

wally1
Jun 10th, 2006, 09:18 PM
Justine! :banana: :worship:

Very happy for you. Well-deserved I say. Congrats! :)

But like some have said, that was such a boring final. I had to keep on reminding myself that it was a grandslam final lol.Yes, it was a bit dull. Not as bad as the second half of England v Paraguay however :)

jenny161185
Jun 10th, 2006, 09:25 PM
well done Justine :)

pav
Jun 10th, 2006, 09:59 PM
Well done to Juju in the playing dept. but some official should be assigned to run out onto the court and give her a smack on the bum after every point the sound of "Allez" comes out of her mouth,I don't believe in corporal punishment usually,but on this occasion I think it has to be done.

JustineTime
Jun 10th, 2006, 10:14 PM
That's a bit of an unfair assessment of the match. Justine played a stunning game at 3-3 (I think) in the second set to break Kuznetsova. She gave her absolutely no chance in that game and really pulled another gear. That game pretty much earned her the match.

:bigclap: That is EXACTLY what Justine did, and if you were REALLY paying attention, it's impossible to miss. :shrug: Like when she was down 0-40 to Yakimova. Justine played consistent...consistently HUGE on the big points! :yeah: :bigclap:

Congrats, Justine! :) :kiss: :hug:

Props to Kuzzy; she and Petrova are 2 & 3 in the world on clay, IMO. :)

LDF
Jun 10th, 2006, 10:18 PM
Well done Justine :bounce:

Ok, it wasn't the greatest final (though it was certainly much better than the previous couple of years!), but Justine fully deserved the win. Her serve, which has held up well this tournament, was firing again, enabling her to dominate the points with her clay court expertise. Her backhand started off a little slowly, though it picked up throughout the match, and her forehand was very solid. It wasn't a fantastic performance by any means, but her mental strength carried her through, particularly on the key points; she only won 5 more points than Sveta, but she won the more important ones.

Sveta looked a little lost out there. Naturally, she seemed nervous at the start, going down 4-1, but she managed to compose herself and match Justine. She had an opportunity at the beginning of the 2nd, but a few too many errors on crucial points cost her dearly. I'm sure she's extremely pleased with what she's achieved this tournament - it's great to see her back in the upper echelons of the game.

Denise4925
Jun 10th, 2006, 10:21 PM
Congrats to Justine for a well deserved win and to Svetlana for making it to the finals :yeah:

JustineTime
Jun 10th, 2006, 10:31 PM
Quote of the day:

Still, to the very end, she insisted she didn't play her best.

The statistics Saturday bear that out. Henin-Hardenne made nearly twice as many unforced errors (30) as winners (16). She made only half her first serves. She won only five of the match's 20 points that lasted 10 strokes or more. "That's not really important now. It doesn't count," Henin-Hardenne said. "What are people going to remember? That I played well from beginning to end? Or that I won the French Open?"

:haha: :yeah:

stenen
Jun 10th, 2006, 10:33 PM
Congrats to Justine. Far away being an exciting final but the weather was great so it made it all more enjoyable.

Bilbo123
Jun 10th, 2006, 11:13 PM
The Queen of clay did it again :yeah:

expected title for Juju

anlavalle
Jun 10th, 2006, 11:20 PM
Justine :worship:

Well deserved third RG title. Also, it was great to see a quality final at RG again. :yeah:

quality? are you kidding? some good shots but too many errors

anlavalle
Jun 10th, 2006, 11:26 PM
I looked at .. dont know who she is.. but really was complained about Justine acttitud of AO.. about NOT TO FIGHT and HEART.. etc..

The answer is clear.. here.. one latin commentors was in her side.. other just said that they are not Justine and nobody can tell never what Justine was feeling, thinking or suffering to made desicion she made.. so..

Controversial but.. already before RG to start.. We all known that Justine was the #1 fav for this toyney so.. she corresponded this Mrs.. with RG tittle.. just that.. REALLY I FEEL THAT CAPSULE ABOUT JUSTINE ON ESPN WAS .. IN FACT.. ABOUT BAD TASTE...

Better.. they most not to show the match .. Im not justificating Justine.. cause I get my PERSONAL opinion on it... but.. well.. I dont know.. BAD for ESPN .. really..

that latin comentator is from Argentina the same country of Justin coach, why do you expected him to say?
the american comentators disagree of that opinion and me too

flyingmachine
Jun 10th, 2006, 11:32 PM
Well Done Justine! :yeah: :woohoo:

Shenanigans
Jun 11th, 2006, 12:17 AM
Congrats to Justine, she is the clay court queen.

Sveta if I were a school teacher writing on your report card, I would say she could do better!

raquel
Jun 11th, 2006, 12:27 AM
Too many cheap errors Sveta :sad: Justine was very solid but do I think she had to be in top gear to win? No. Congrats on your second major final Sveta :yeah: Kudos to Justine on another Slam. It's a shame the final was not that great a standard overall, a bit like the whole tournament in general - some flashes of good play but nothing spectacular. It was all a bit muted. Even the reaction here on the board is quite quiet.

F-R-E-A-K
Jun 11th, 2006, 12:45 AM
Allez Justine :kiss: :hearts:

Sveta :sad: :sad:

Corswandt
Jun 11th, 2006, 02:02 AM
I'm trying not to think about how many tennis-pool.com points this has cost me.

I was expecting a godawful final, turned out to be a merely bad one. Shaky start from both players, Kuznetsova very inconsistent but beginning to close on JHH at the end of the first set, with JHH making loads of UEs. Excellent start to the second set by Kuznetsova, controlling every rally with her FH and finishing points off with confidence, and by the third game I was beginning to think this might go into a third set. Then Kuznetsova began grunting louder and overhitting everything for no apparent reason. JHH switched into a higher gear and took hold of the match. Some superb shots from JHH at this stage, and Kuznetsova's resistance quickly crumbled, finishing with a home run on the second match point. Match overall: a few good rallies here and there, but almost totally lacking in excitement.

JHH, who hadn't had a claycourt season to match last year's so far, pulled off her best tournament performance when it really mattered, and took a GS title without dropping a set or even being forced into a TB.

It's very late and I can't think of anything else to type but these platitudes.

Jakeev
Jun 11th, 2006, 02:09 AM
Kudos for Justine winning another title today but damn did Sveta let her off the hook today.

To me Sveta played very defensively as she didn't feel she could win by being aggressive.

Either way, my favorite time of the year has come so now it's time to see how everyone handles the adjustments to grass.

Zauber
Jun 11th, 2006, 02:19 AM
looks like Henin is the best player right now.
any surface. all surfaces combined.
Two grand slam tournaments this year so far.
She wins one and is runner up in the other.
If she gets to one more final we could say that she was the dominant player this year.
In a grand slam tournament.

Chance
Jun 11th, 2006, 09:40 AM
Congratulations Justine!

Justine has now won a slam every year since 2003.

I wanted the match to go to 3 sets and at times was pulling for Svetlana;)

However I thought the match was pretty good, you could see Justine was going to win it no matter what, but the quality wasn't as bad the 2002-2005 finals.

Good effort Svetlana

vutt
Jun 11th, 2006, 09:47 AM
However I thought the match was pretty good, you could see Justine was going to win it no matter what, but the quality wasn't as bad the 2002-2005 finals.

Good effort Svetlana

Yep! Exactly my toughts!

JustineTime
Jun 11th, 2006, 03:53 PM

JUSTINE HENIN‑HARDENNE: It's the other players who have to think about how to beat me.

:haha: :haha: :haha: :ras: :nerner:

:lol:

JustineTime
Jun 11th, 2006, 04:14 PM
looks like Henin is the best player right now.
any surface. all surfaces combined.
Two grand slam tournaments this year so far.
She wins one and is runner up in the other.
If she gets to one more final we could say that she was the dominant player this year.
In a grand slam tournament.

:secret: SHHH! :secret: ;)

Mother_Marjorie
Jun 11th, 2006, 09:10 PM

:haha: :haha: :haha: :ras: :nerner:

:lol:

I do think there was a change in strategy in the Henin-Hardenne camp for the semi's and the finals. It is almost scary how fluid and easily she can change her game depending on the opponent.

It was nice to see Carlos bring his children and Justine commending their 10 year coach-player relationship. It speaks volumes for the respect they have for one another.

Mother_Marjorie
Jun 11th, 2006, 09:12 PM
Kudos for Justine winning another title today but damn did Sveta let her off the hook today.

Both women won almost exactly the same number of points in the match. As with most match wins in the sport of tennis, it comes down to who plays the big points well. And in this case, it was Justine's experience in grand slam finals which came through for her.

tennisIlove09
Jun 12th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Henin-Hardenne Claims Third French Open Championship
http://www.sportsmediainc.net/tennisweek/HENINFrench06TrophySEITZ.jpg
Photo By Art Seitz By Adrianna Outlaw
06/10/2006

One set removed from a savoring a champagne championship moment, a fading, flat Justine Henin-Hardenne was forced to face the clay-court equivalent of a hang over.

Hunched over and hanging her head near her knees, a winded Henin-Hardenne stared at her shoe tops as if searching her shoe laces for solutions to stop the streak of points strung together by Svetlana Kuznetsova at the start of the second set of today's French Open final.

Catching her breath and collecting her thoughts, the fifth-seeded Belgian did not need to suck down a shot of Pepto-Bismol to settle her stomach, swallow an aspirin to subdue this on-court headache or consult a chiropractor to straighten out the situation instead she found her remedy in self-reliance. Standing up straight and summoning her second wind from within as if popping a personal cork to inahle inspiration, Henin-Hardenne showed the steely resolve that eluded her in retiring from the Australian Open final and played with resilience to reach Grand Slam redemption.

Winning 12 of 14 points in a stirring second-set stretch of championship tennis, Henin-Hardenne seized command of the match to close out a convincing 6-4, 6-4 triumph over the eighth-seeded Kuznetsova and capture her third Roland Garros crown in the past four years. Henin-Hardenne did not drop a set in seven matches to become the first women to win Roland Garros without surrendering a set since Spain's Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario accomplished the feat 12 years ago.

"It's an amazing feeling," said Henin-Hardenne, who did not drop a set in seven tournament matches to raise her Roland Garros career record to 28-4. "To be the French Open winner here three times, it's unbelievable. I don't have the words to say what I feel right now. It means a lot." The fifth-ranked Henin-Hardenne, who will rise to No. 3 when the new Sony Ericsson WTA Tour rankings are released on Monday, is the first woman to repeat as Roland Garros champion since her tennis hero, Steffi Graf, successfully defender her French Open title in 1996. The former World No. 1 is the first woman to win three French Open titles in four years since Graf did it from 1993-96.

"Three is a lot," Henin-Hardenne said. "I'm joining great champions like Steffi Graf or Arantxa Sanchez. I'm very happy."

Turning her shoulders into a brilliant backhand winner down the line struck with all the force of a woman slamming shut a steel door in the face of an oncoming storm, Henin-Hardenne earned double-championship point at 40-15 of the 10th game.

On the first championship point, Henin-Hardenne's anxious forehand fell harmlessly into the bottom of the net, but on the next point the Kuznetsova forehand, which spent much of this match in a schizophrenic state, sailed well long as Henin-Hardenne flung her black-and-orange Wilson racquet into the air, clutched her baseball cap with her hands then thrust her arms skyward in triumph and broke into a wide smile.

The 24-year-old Henin-Hardenne had cause for celebration. Less than five months ago, Henin-Hardenne looked helpless as France's Amelie Mauresmo won eight of nine games and held a 6-1, 2-0 lead when the eighth-seeded Henin-Hardenne retired from the Australian Open final suffering from an upset stomach she traced to anti-inflammatory medication she had been taking for a sore shoulder.

Succumbing to an upset stomach in Australia, Henin-Hardenne's competitive character came into question, but today she reasserted her reputation as a Grand Slam champion willing to pay a physical price — albeit against an opponent she has traditionally dominated — on the game's most grueling surface. Spending several sleepless nights stressing out over defending the title that means the most to her, Henin-Hardenne had to dig down to fight off fatigue in the second set.

"I was very tired physically and I did suffer a lot," Henin-Hardenne said of winning her third French Open title. "I was nervous and could not sleep the past two or three days. It (the criticism caused by the Australian Open retirement) did hurt me and it's not really revenge today, but let's forget what happened in January. I'm not the kind of person who stops easily. Now I won the French Open again and I am very happy for that."

It is Henin-Hardenne's fifth career Grand Slam championship. The 24-year-old Belgian has won every major title except for Wimbledon and the 2001 Wimbledon runner-up will arrive at the All England Club later this month bidding to complete the career Grand Slam.

Defending with determination and playing with poise during pressure points, Henin-Hardenne did not play her best tennis, but constantly lifted her level of play during the crucial stages of the match to beat Kuznetsova for the 11th time in 12 career meetings, sacrificing just four sets in those 12 career clashes.

Reflecting on her fourth loss to Henin-Hardenne in a major, Kuznetsova, who could not convert two match points in a 7-6(6), 4-6, 7-5, loss to the Belgian in the fourth round of the 2005 French Open, said she felt as if she were fighting against two opponents: the reigning Roland Garros champion and herself.

In a match featuring streaks of supremacy from both women, Kuznetsova claimed 10 consecutive points to start the second set and was within two points of a 3-0 lead. But the 2004 U.S. Open champion blew a relatively routine forehand that was one of four straight errors as she handed Henin-Hardenne a service break and the set was soon level, 2-2. "I'm disappointed of course and after a loss you think about why you lost," Kuznetsova said. "I missed one easy ball (in the third game of the second set) and I give her a chance to get back and as soon as you give top players a chance to get back it's really tough. I still think I had chances to win. I guess I hurt myself the most. I was making mistakes and going for too much."

Indeed, Kuznetsova has a habit of trying to make up a deficit by firing her forehand flatter and flatter as if she's trying to win three points with one big swing of her Head racquet. It was a tactical error from Kuznetsova who is physically stronger than the 5-foot-5 Belgian and has the stamina to match the reigning Roland Garros champion shot for shot on the slow red clay, but Kuznetsova's overly-ambitious shot selection revealed a lack of real self-belief. Rather than playing with a commitment to patient point construction, which the slow surface demands at times, the Russian tried to rush her way through the points.

If course, the knowledge her career record against Henin-Hardenne was only slightly more successful than the Hunchback of Notre Dame's record in the local slam-dunk competition almost certainly compelled Kuznetsova to raise the risk level of her shots against the game's premier clay-court player. But Kuznetsova's early set advantage soon dissipated in the dust as Henin-Hardenne held after deuce for 3-3.

Henin-Hardenne lulled the Russian into a softball rally with a shorter slice then spun a forehand winner down the line to earn triple break point. Two points later, the Belgian's backhand volley landed within inches of the baseline and she soared to slam an overhead winner and break for 4-3. Continuing a streak that saw her win 12 of 14 points in that crucial span, Henin-Hardenne held at love for 5-3.

By the time Kuznetsova fully comprehended what was happening, Henin-Hardenne was serving for the match.

"I was expecting a different game today, I thought she would attack a little bit more and I was not prepared to attack as much," said Kuznetsova, who began the afternoon walking up the stadium stairway and out onto the sun-drenched crushed red brick court with the reigning Roland Garros champion following in her footsteps. It was the last time Henin-Hardenne was trailing all day.

Breaking Kuznetsova's serve in the seven-minute game that opened the match, Henin-Hardenne benefited from a series of Kuznetsova's forehand errors to establish an early lead.

Both women's weapons were misfiring during nervous stretches of the opening set. The muscular Russian, who refined her game in Spain at the Sanchez-Casals Academy in Spain, was playing too close to the lines with too little topspin on her forehand that missed the mark, while Henin-Hardenne hit her backhand off balance resulting in errors.

Trailing 1-4, Kuznetsova began to gather her game, find the range on her forehand and attack net selectively. Henin-Hardenne's off-balance backhand landed long to give Kuznetsova her second break point of the set and when the Belgian spun a double fault deep, Kuznetsova had her first break. Opening the court with a vicious inside-out forehand, Kuznetsova closed net and hammered a high forehand volley winner down the line to hold at 30 and close to 3-4.

In the ensuing game, Kuznetsova crushed another inside out forehand followed by an overhead to earn another break point and the chance to even the set at 4-4. Wisely walking off the deficit by pausing before serving to set her strategy before playing the most pivotal point of the set, Henin-Hardenne responded with a backhand winner crosscourt punctuated by a fist pump to draw to deuce. Two straight Kuznetsova forehand errors helped Henin-Hardenne hold for 5-3. Serving for the set two games later, Henin-Hardenne found herself facing 30-all when she summed her strongest serve of the set — a 114 mph missile down the middle — to reach set point. Firing a forehand crosscourt that caused Kuznetsova to sprint into the doubles alley in pursuit, Henin-Hardenne watched as Kuznetsova, who ran out of court, went for the winner down the line only to find a dead end when he shot slammed into the net as Henin-Hardenne collected the first set, 6-4. The clenched fist Henin-Hardenne often shows after seizing sets gave way to another familiar Grand Slam gesture at the conclusion of the match as Henin-Hardenne stood at the center of the court raising the shiny silver Roland Garros trophy above her head. The little girl who once promised her mother she would someday reign at Roland Garros continues to keep to fulfill her promise in Paris.

RAA
Jun 12th, 2006, 01:07 PM
BIG congrats to Justine.

five slams.. very impressive.