PDA

View Full Version : Eleni at DFS Classic, Birmingham UK

RayRob
Jun 10th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Hi guys,

Sorry I haven't been about for a while. I'm just preparing for my 3 month trip to the USA - I'll be working at a summer camp, followed by some US open action!

Eleni is currently on the entry list for the DFS classic which begins on Monday.

GREAT BRITAIN
Jun 12, 2006
BIRMINGHAM Tier III
$200,000
MARJORY HOWIE
Main Draw
1 F SHARAPOVA Maria RUS 3
2 F SCHIAVONE Francesca ITA 11
3 F HANTUCHOVA Daniela SVK 16
4 F LIKHOVTSEVA Elena RUS 17
5 F SUGIYAMA Ai JPN 22
6 F MOLIK Alicia AUS 23 SR
7 F BARTOLI Marion FRA 27
8 F JANKOVIC Jelena SCG 28
9 F ARVIDSSON Sofia SWE 29
10 F KOUKALOVA Klara CZE 32
11 F CHAKVETADZE Anna RUS 34
12 F SANTANGELO Mara ITA 35
13 F CASTANO Catalina COL 37
14 F MIRZA Sania IND 39
15 F CRAYBAS Jill USA 40
16 F ZVONAREVA Vera RUS 43
17 F ZHENG Jie CHN 49
18 F GRANVILLE Laura USA 51
19 F SCHRUFF Julia GER 54
20 F STOSUR Samantha AUS 55
21 F RAZZANO Virginie FRA 58
22 F CAMERIN Maria elena ITA 59
23 F DANIILIDOU Eleni GRE 60
24 F NAKAMURA Aiko JPN 61
25 F VESNINA Elena RUS 62
26 F PENG Shuai CHN 64
27 F LAINE Emma FIN 65
28 F BONDARENKO Alona UKR 69
29 F LI Na CHN 70
30 F SPREM Karolina CRO 73
31 F YAN Zi CHN 76
32 F MORIGAMI Akiko JPN 77
33 A PIRONKOVA Tsvetana BUL 79
34 F JACKSON Jamea USA 80
35 F SERRA ZANETTI Antonella ITA 81
36 F SUCHA Martina SVK 82
37 F FORETZ Stephanie FRA 83
38 F RAYMOND Lisa USA 86
39 F WASHINGTON Mashona USA 87
40 F PERRY Shenay USA 88
41 A GAJDOSOVA Jarmila SVK 93
42 A YUAN Meng CHN 94

So far it's a strong field, but it was last year too and Eleni managed to do some damage to the seeds.

I wasn't originally going to go to this event...didn't think I would have time given the fact I am traveling to the USA on wednesday. However, I couldn't go a year without going to the DFS Classic, so on Monday I will be making the trip down....bought my train ticket today.

Hopefully i will see Eleni...if not playing then definately practicing. Perhaps do a report and hopefully include some photos.

Keep cheering for her here!

-Rache

supreme*
Jun 10th, 2006, 03:27 PM
yeah... the field is strong... and the draw is stronger !

(1)SHARAPOVA, Maria vs BYE
FORETZ, Stephanie vs QUALIFIER
DANIILIDOU, Eleni vs KEOTHAVONG, Anne
WASHINGTON, Mashona vs (13)LI, Na

i have faith in Lena... but (2R) Li and washington playing vGood tennis lately...
and (3R) sharapova is sharapova, went there to defense her title :P

come on eleni !

RayRob
Jun 10th, 2006, 03:55 PM
i wonder when the OOP will be out - I hope her match is played on Monday...especially since she's playing a brit in the first round. I won't be in the british fans good books if I'm there cheering for Eleni ;)

:lol:

-Rache

Bероника
Jun 10th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Her first 2 matchs look winnable,and then Sharapova.Well,the russian is not at her best moment.

Anyway,good luck Eleni!!!!! :bounce:

forever_rafter
Jun 11th, 2006, 12:24 PM
I believe Eleni can do very well in this tourney. Would be great if she kicked Sharapova's bum

Bероника
Jun 11th, 2006, 12:30 PM
yeah it would be great :D :bounce:

forever_rafter
Jun 12th, 2006, 09:19 AM
Eleni plays doubles with Santangelo

RayRob
Jun 12th, 2006, 05:46 PM
Well, I went to DFS Classic today. Unfortunately Eleni didn't play today but I did see her practicing at a distance. She was on the very end court and the problem with that is I couldn't get close enough to take any photos.

I did watch her practice at length but the person that she was having discussions with was a guy...it wasn't Judith. Having said that, I wasn't wearing my glasses but it was definitely a guy because he was a few inches (or several centimeters) taller than Eleni. I just thought this was interesting - maybe there is someone else on board? He seemed to be having lengthy discussions with her about her serve (at least I figured since he was imitating a service motion as he spoke to her).

She seemed to be practicing with Jasmin Woehr, Santangelo and someone else - who I think might have been Sfar (Woehr's doubles partner this week). I wonder why Eleni and Jasmin aren't playing together in the draw?

Unfortunately, I wasn't there when Eleni came off the court after practice though she did look as though she was striking the ball well. Even though the guy (whoever the guy is) was instructing Eleni on her serve, she still has that terrible foot movement when she lands after the follow-through of the serve. I can't quite describe it but it looks like she's not sure which foot she wants to land on after she's served. :shrug:

Hope this information has been of some use to you. Perhaps some things to lead into interesting discussion. (IE. Lack of Judith presence during practice) :confused:

-Rache

forever_rafter
Jun 12th, 2006, 06:20 PM
Hey Rache, why don't you go ahead and give Eleni a piece of advise on her foot movement during serve? ;) About Jud, my friend who was in Paris didn't see her around either, I'm a bit worried but hope she'll be back soon. If you happen to see Eleni from closer distance or talk to her, just pass our good wishes, ok? :)

supreme*
Jun 12th, 2006, 08:36 PM
thanks for the infos RayRob !

yeah... indeed, she has got a problem with her serve... it was obvious and in doubles SF at roland garros !
she must to improve this soon... hope she will !

as forever_rafter said, pass our good wishes !

btw eleni plays tomorrow...

Centre Court (from 11.00hrs)

1. Mirza vs. A.Bondarenko
2. Molik vs. Zvonareva
3. Daniilidou vs. Keothavong
4. Sharapova vs. Rolle
5. Black/Stubbs vs. Hsieh/Poutchek

Good Luck !

RayRob
Jun 12th, 2006, 09:26 PM
Hey Rache, why don't you go ahead and give Eleni a piece of advise on her foot movement during serve? ;) About Jud, my friend who was in Paris didn't see her around either, I'm a bit worried but hope she'll be back soon. If you happen to see Eleni from closer distance or talk to her, just pass our good wishes, ok? :)

Unfortunately I only went on monday and won't be attending again this year. Tuesday I have to pack for my trip to America (which is on Wednesday) so I am a bit upset that I didn't really get to see her play today :sad:

This was probably the last lot of tennis I was able to watch since the next 10 weeks will be spent working at a summer camp where there is no TV.

I am going to the US Open after, so I hope to see Eleni playing there...and if I get chance, I will school her on her service foot work ;) :p

Hope she does well tomorrow - she faces a Brit, so tomorrow I won't be so patriotic :angel:

Bye for now,
-Rache

forever_rafter
Jun 13th, 2006, 08:11 AM
Maybe we'll meet in NY :)

RayRob
Jun 13th, 2006, 01:19 PM
Maybe we'll meet in NY :)

Oh. I didn't know you were going again this year. I'll be there for the first 4 or 5 days. I hope to see lots of tennis!

-Rache

forever_rafter
Jun 13th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Oh. I didn't know you were going again this year. I'll be there for the first 4 or 5 days. I hope to see lots of tennis!

-Rache

I should be there, hopefully from AUG24th til SEP4th. Hope to see many matches of Eleni unlike last year...

Bероника
Jun 13th, 2006, 02:08 PM
rain delay now :(

Go Eleni!!!!!

And thanks for your report,Rache!!! ;) :D

LegionArgentina
Jun 13th, 2006, 02:10 PM
Good Luck Eleni ˇ

RayRob
Jun 13th, 2006, 04:44 PM
I should be there, hopefully from AUG24th til SEP4th. Hope to see many matches of Eleni unlike last year...

I should be in NY from the 24th too - are you going to go Quallies? I'm thinking of going, just so I can get the complete experience.

I'm really excited - but first I have to get camp out of the way. I go to the USA tomorrow, so will lose track of all things Eleni while I'm there. If I can pay a visit here now and again I will.

Don't suppose someone can do a thread for me, something like "Eleni's progress and news in a Nutshell for RayRob" :lol: It's just I only have an hour per day spare for internet which I want to use to email family....but if there was a thread like this that just listed the main results and news....well that would be great for me.

I know it's asking a lot though. :kiss:

-Rache

forever_rafter
Jun 13th, 2006, 07:39 PM
I should be in NY from the 24th too - are you going to go Quallies? I'm thinking of going, just so I can get the complete experience.

Don't suppose someone can do a thread for me, something like "Eleni's progress and news in a Nutshell for RayRob" :lol: It's just I only have an hour per day spare for internet which I want to use to email family....but if there was a thread like this that just listed the main results and news....well that would be great for me.

I know it's asking a lot though. :kiss:

-Rache

I highly recommend qualies, best way to meet players and the security isn't that tight. Once tournament starts it's crazy. I'll try to make a thread for you with recent Eleni's scores :)

nigel - dani fan
Jun 14th, 2006, 12:08 AM
Here's a pic. I took on Tuesday (before the rain!)..
http://www.dankajenaj.me.uk/images/DFS_ED_253.jpg

alkmene
Jun 14th, 2006, 05:19 AM
Nice photo!Thanks!

I just saw the oop for today and Lena has 3 matches to play because of yesterday's rain!
Daniilidou vs. Keothavong
Pratt/Stewart vs. Daniilidou/Santangelo
[Keothavong or Daniilidou] vs. N.Li

:confused:
eleos!!!

forever_rafter
Jun 14th, 2006, 08:08 AM
Nice photo!Thanks!

I just saw the oop for today and Lena has 3 matches to play because of yesterday's rain!
Daniilidou vs. Keothavong
Pratt/Stewart vs. Daniilidou/Santangelo
[Keothavong or Daniilidou] vs. N.Li

:confused:
eleos!!!

It's absolutely ridiculous :fiery: Thanks for the pic, it's fantastic! :worship:

christos
Jun 14th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Yes I just saw it, 3 matches???

forever_rafter
Jun 14th, 2006, 10:49 AM
Yes I just saw it, 3 matches???

Eleni def. Keothavong 6-3, 6-0 in 57 minutes. Two more matches to go today. Pame!

guizzy
Jun 14th, 2006, 12:20 PM
It seems too have been an easy victory. I hope it was because she still has a long day ahead. Go Lena you can deal with three matches and win them all.

Bероника
Jun 14th, 2006, 04:07 PM
oh my :eek: 3 matchs in a day? what kind of madness is this?

Good victory vs Keothavong!!!! :D

Bероника
Jun 14th, 2006, 06:47 PM
:mad: stupid schedule

Eleni lost :sad: :sad: :sad:

(13) Li Na (CHN) d. Eleni Daniilidou (GRE) 76(7) 63

supreme*
Jun 14th, 2006, 08:52 PM
that is silly ! 3matches in a day... :fiery:
i check the last results.. and prob she didnt play doubles... but and 2matches in singles in a day are still crazy !

i watched the live score of the match against Li... and was very close in 1st set ! eleni had her chances there... she was ahead on score most of the times... but he lost with such a close scor... and next maybe was tired, maybe Li played stronger, dont know, eleni lost easy the 2nd set !

i expected something better here ! just bcz i know that she could !
anwz. she plays still doubles... so Good Luck there ! pame Lena !

forever_rafter
Jun 14th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Damn schedule

LegionArgentina
Jun 14th, 2006, 11:30 PM
Eleni :sad:

Good luck in dobles with Mara

christos
Jun 15th, 2006, 09:48 AM
:mad: stupid schedule

Eleni lost :sad: :sad: :sad:

(13) Li Na (CHN) d. Eleni Daniilidou (GRE) 76(7) 63

The organizers are stupid :fiery: :fiery:

spar
Jun 15th, 2006, 10:51 AM
What happened with Eleni on tie-breake ?
She saves two breakes on score 4-6, leads 7-6 and service to the set. But in this moment - double fault !!! And she quickly lost next 2 games - 7-9.

forever_rafter
Jun 15th, 2006, 04:54 PM
Hope it's not abdominal mucles again...

supreme*
Jun 17th, 2006, 01:20 PM
eleni didnt play doubles.. bcz santangleo withdrew !

- birmingham is over !

forever_rafter
Jun 17th, 2006, 01:33 PM
that sucks, better luck next time baby girl!

nigel - dani fan
Jun 23rd, 2006, 10:13 AM
I've been rather busy recently, I was in Birmingham for 3 days last week, then went away again over the weekend, I was in Eastbourne on Monday, and didn't get home until late Tuesday. I've been catching up with work, and also going over my photos.
Here's a few more from Birmingham..
practice courts:
http://www.dankajenaj.me.uk/images/DFS_ED_219.jpg
I don't know who it is with Eleni.

heading for her match..
http://www.dankajenaj.me.uk/images/DFS_ED_484.jpg
http://www.dankajenaj.me.uk/images/DFS_ED_485.jpg

nigel - dani fan
Jun 23rd, 2006, 10:16 AM
the toss..
http://www.dankajenaj.me.uk/images/DFS_ED_487.jpg

http://www.dankajenaj.me.uk/images/DFS_ED_491.jpg