PDA

View Full Version : College players: how do they do it?

Reuchlin
Jun 10th, 2006, 05:32 AM
If you look at some former college players that turned pro you will find just how much success many of them have had. Laura Granville, for example, has broken a number of college and USTA records. My question is: how do these players go from being highly successful players--many of them building impressive win streaks along the way-- to pros who have a hard time winning three matches in a row? emotionally speaking.

Sally Struthers
Jun 10th, 2006, 05:38 AM
It's quite simple. They go to college because they were not good enough to be pros earlier and when they get out they're still below the curve.

myxomatosis
Jun 10th, 2006, 05:39 AM
The level of tennis is just much higher, I imagine. The majority of top players don't play college tennis and many of the players who do have already realised that they won't make it as pros. A lot of players on the WTA turn pro by their mid-teens, thus essentially pushing education to the background. If the top players aren't playing in college, it's not surprising that someone like Granville can dominate on the college circuit but then be out of her league on the pro tour.

K-Dog
Jun 10th, 2006, 05:42 AM
because they had games that won in the juniors and college, but that game doesn't always translate over to the pros. i notice that most of the college players are very one-dimensional players and don't have enough pace on their shots to keep up with the pros.

if you want to go into my problems with the USTA and their lack of successful pros, that'll take me 3 pages of this thread to explain.

Jeff
Jun 10th, 2006, 09:18 AM
Are you asking why they are not as successful on the pro tour, as they were in college, or are you asking how it is that they deal with going from winning to losing? :confused:

Maryamator
Jun 10th, 2006, 09:23 AM
which college did laura granville go to? lol..

Jeff
Jun 10th, 2006, 09:51 AM

She went to Stanford. I believe her singles record was something like 50-1.

Reuchlin
Jun 11th, 2006, 12:26 AM
Are you asking why they are not as successful on the pro tour, as they were in college, or are you asking how it is that they deal with going from winning to losing? :confused:
My question was: HOW do they emotionally deal with losing week-in week-out after 50+match win streaks in college?

Justeenium
Jun 11th, 2006, 12:57 AM
the level of college tennis isn't even close to that of the pros.

I saw UCLA def. Baylor a couple years ago and the men couldn't even get to rallies of four shots. Horrible quality.

Sally Struthers
Jun 11th, 2006, 01:02 AM
My question was: HOW do they emotionally deal with losing week-in week-out after 50+match win streaks in college?

Some don't which only makes things worse.

mirzalover
Jun 11th, 2006, 02:44 AM
Laura had alot of success when she first played as a pro i think she got to like 28 in the world and then she started to suck i think she surpised herself

bis2806
Jun 11th, 2006, 03:07 AM

Stanford, where all the players kick but in women's tennis. Sadly, there's now a larger gap between college and pro tennis though simply because these players are trying to balance out college AND tennis - not easy.

CoryAnnAvants#1
Jun 11th, 2006, 03:19 AM
Laura had alot of success when she first played as a pro i think she got to like 28 in the world and then she started to suck i think she surpised herself

I would hardly say she sucks. She's a top 50 player and has reached a few quarterfinals on tour this year, 3rd round of the Australian Open, and won a 50K.

Her main issue is that her game is fairly one dimensional. People picked up on it after her rookie year and she didn't add too much to her repetoire to compensate. I agree with you that she's never going to make waves on tour, but she'll have a nice career in her own right.

As far as college tennis goes, the difference between college and pros is monumental. They showed a college match on TV a couple weeks ago between Amber Liu and Audra Cohen, both in the top 5 for the NCAA womens rankings. NEITHER of them will EVER make the top 250 in their lifetime. Audra looked to be about a top 400 player and Amber Liu looked like a strictly 10K player.

Derek.
Jun 11th, 2006, 03:29 AM
You can tell just by how they hit the ball. They don't have nearly enough pace and power to compete with the pros. They get blown off the court. Granville is actually one of the few lucky ones to be able to get into the top 50. Getting into the top 50 is already extremely hard to do.

bis2806
Jun 11th, 2006, 03:33 AM
I would hardly say she sucks. She's a top 50 player and has reached a few quarterfinals on tour this year, 3rd round of the Australian Open, and won a 50K.

Her main issue is that her game is fairly one dimensional. People picked up on it after her rookie year and she didn't add too much to her repetoire to compensate. I agree with you that she's never going to make waves on tour, but she'll have a nice career in her own right.

As far as college tennis goes, the difference between college and pros is monumental. They showed a college match on TV a couple weeks ago between Amber Liu and Audra Cohen, both in the top 5 for the NCAA womens rankings. NEITHER of them will EVER make the top 250 in their lifetime. Audra looked to be about a top 400 player and Amber Liu looked like a strictly 10K player.

I think part of the reason why the level of play in college is quite bad - I think Amber was way better last time during her sophomore year - is mainly due to the lack of opportunities in playing WTA tournaments. Basically, it's only during the summer that they get chances to play qualifying rounds of the pre-US open tournaments. The rest of their schedule is packed either for studying or playing more matches against other schoos. Regardless, the Stanford team whose key players are Amber, Alice Barnes and Theresa Logar are all great players and are the best in the nation.... Amber Liu, Theresa Logar, Anne Yelsey have all played at the US open.

CoryAnnAvants#1
Jun 11th, 2006, 04:43 AM
I think part of the reason why the level of play in college is quite bad - I think Amber was way better last time during her sophomore year - is mainly due to the lack of opportunities in playing WTA tournaments. Basically, it's only during the summer that they get chances to play qualifying rounds of the pre-US open tournaments. The rest of their schedule is packed either for studying or playing more matches against other schoos. Regardless, the Stanford team whose key players are Amber, Alice Barnes and Theresa Logar are all great players and are the best in the nation.... Amber Liu, Theresa Logar, Anne Yelsey have all played at the US open.

I agree with most of what you're saying, but many of these top college players are hardly hitting the books. They might be student-athletes at Stanford, but in most of these universities they are there to play tennis. They take loads of easy courses and basically bullshit their way to a degree. There's a reason many of these girls end up as teaching pros after college. Even though they have a university degree, they have very little mastery in that degree to actually function at a job they could use it in.

I do agree with you though, the lack of competition at a professional level certainly doesn't help the issue. A big reason why these girls go to college though is that subconsciously, they probably realize they can't make it on tour and want to take advantage of the free ride to go somewhere.

SzavayFi
Jun 11th, 2006, 04:49 AM
ATP I know but James Blake played college tennis and has a VERY successful pro career. It depends on what your game is and if it has potential to step it up even further when you make the giant step towards the pros.

Reuchlin
Jun 11th, 2006, 04:52 AM
ATP I know but James Blake played college tennis and has a VERY successful pro career. It depends on what your game is and if it has potential to step it up even further when you make the giant step towards the pros.
thanks for that...but no one is answering my question... :tape: :tape:

maxomax
Jun 11th, 2006, 04:53 AM
Melanie Gloria reached 1/4 of the Challenge Bell of Quebec City with a win over second Daniela Hantuchova. She is now playing in the USTA college tennis.

SzavayFi
Jun 11th, 2006, 04:54 AM
thanks for that...but no one is answering my question... :tape: :tape:
:p...........Well, if they are like Laura Granville and they are in the top 50, they know they are making a good living at something they LOVE. And its not like that have the strain of thinking what the hell will happen if the carreer isnt successful because they have a college degree and can pretty much go after any job they want.

SzavayFi
Jun 11th, 2006, 04:55 AM
Melanie Gloria reached 1/4 of the Challenge Bell of Quebec City with a win over second Daniela Hantuchova. She is now playing in the USTA college tennis.
I will never forget that match :tape:

maxomax
Jun 11th, 2006, 04:56 AM
I will never forget that match :tape:
;) When I saw the score I was :eek: I didn't believe it :lol: I didn't even imagine that she will qualify!

tennis_pIayer
Jun 11th, 2006, 05:13 AM
What kind of game does Gloria have? even in College, she is not blowing lights off

bis2806
Jun 11th, 2006, 05:25 AM
I agree with most of what you're saying, but many of these top college players are hardly hitting the books. They might be student-athletes at Stanford, but in most of these universities they are there to play tennis. They take loads of easy courses and basically bullshit their way to a degree. There's a reason many of these girls end up as teaching pros after college. Even though they have a university degree, they have very little mastery in that degree to actually function at a job they could use it in.

I do agree with you though, the lack of competition at a professional level certainly doesn't help the issue. A big reason why these girls go to college though is that subconsciously, they probably realize they can't make it on tour and want to take advantage of the free ride to go somewhere.

I have to disagree with you on "tak(ing) loads of easy courses and basically bullshit their way to a degree." They are enrolled at Stanford and I can tell you that they are technically also Stanford students. Therefore they have to complete the same requirements for a major as any other regular Stanford students. Some students concentrate in majors like sociology, which is viewed as a bs degree by most people, whereas others are more hardcore choosing to read chemistry or economics per say. I personally know Amber and she has like a 3.66 GPA and she majors in economics graduating this year. She's a very smart girl.

Also, "Alice Barnes (teammate), a native of Cambridge, U.K., was selected to the District 8 First Team in the University Division. The senior is a four-time All-American and an Art major with a 3.67 cumulative grade point average. Last week, she led her team to its 15th NCAA team title. Liu, a La Mesa, Calif. native, was selected to the District 8 Second Team in the University Division. The Cardinal standout is an Economics major with a 3.66 cumulative grade point average and was recently named the ITA Senior Player of the Year."

Amber Liu, Alice Barnes, Lejla Hodzic, Anne Yelsey and Whitney Deason were all named the Pac-10 all academic honors this year, which means they all have maintained above 3.0 cumulative GPA. This is very hard to do especially at Stanford where everyone is competitive.

RJWCapriati
Jun 11th, 2006, 05:26 AM
They had a segment on the Tennis Channel earlier today about this.

bis2806
Jun 11th, 2006, 05:37 AM

The truth is, it doesn't happen very often. I don't think they really take the loss to heart because there are PLENTY of opportunities to play against other schools practically almost every month. In college tennis, things are pretty much one-sided; it's either you're consistently winning matches or you're losing them unless you spend an unbelievable amount of time trying to improve your condition.

tennis_pIayer
Jun 11th, 2006, 08:11 AM
Amber was a better player as a soph

Alice barnes has improved.

Lindsey nelson will be great if she just improved her movement, kept practicing that serve and got a little stronger. Unlike most college girls, she can play against top 100 players and take sets off them.

*JR*
Jun 11th, 2006, 01:49 PM
Lisa Raymond won b2b college singles titles playing for rhe University of Florida ('92 & '93). Marissa Irvin lost b2b finals :o in '99 and '00, the 2nd to her Stanford teammate Laura, who won b2b titles in '00 and '01. College Coach Peppermint Patty (Fendick) also won b2b titles @ Stanford in the mid-80's.