PDA

View Full Version : BJK/FlushingMeadow/USTA National Tennis Center

Barrie_Dude
Jun 10th, 2006, 03:17 AM
Why is it that the USTA has not named a stadium or something for Billie Jean King at the Center? I think it is a complete disgrace and I have been offended for years! I mean, Louis Armstrong has a stadium named for him, and as much as I love Sachmo, what the hell did he ever do that was tennis related? And then we have a living legend like Billie Jean who has done a tremendous amount for the game and she has zip, zero, zilch!

Reuchlin
Jun 10th, 2006, 03:46 AM
maybe cause she's still a live and active in the sport? Only at the Canadian Open do they name courts after active players... :tape: :tape: :tape:

Barrie_Dude
Jun 10th, 2006, 03:48 AM
maybe cause she's still a live and active in the sport? Only at the Canadian Open do they name courts after active players... :tape: :tape: :tape:As I recall, Rod Laver is still alive and kicking and he has a stadium at the AO!

tennisvideos
Jun 10th, 2006, 05:05 AM
Yes and the Aussie also has Margaret Court arena as well. So Rod and Margaret are well and truly still alive and kicking.

I agree with Barrie Dude. I am rather amazed that BJK of all people doesn't have a stadium named after her in the States. I am sure it will happen, but sooner rather than later one would hope. Wouldn't it be great if it happened before she left this earthly plane so she could appreciate the honour. :)

darrinbaker00
Jun 10th, 2006, 06:40 AM
Why is it that the USTA has not named a stadium or something for Billie Jean King at the Center? I think it is a complete disgrace and I have been offended for years! I mean, Louis Armstrong has a stadium named for him, and as much as I love Sachmo, what the hell did he ever do that was tennis related? And then we have a living legend like Billie Jean who has done a tremendous amount for the game and she has zip, zero, zilch!
Please read this:
http://www.usta.com/nationaltenniscenternews/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=14185&itype=941&icategoryid=0

Louis Armstrong Stadium existed before the National Tennis Center.

VeeDaQueen
Jun 10th, 2006, 06:50 AM
nice article at the link; why would you want to play tennis at A.A. when you can pretty much live there :haha: restaurants in a stadium :confused:

TomTennis
Jun 10th, 2006, 09:59 AM
also....At the Berlin tournament, the center court is named the Graf Stadium :wavey:

Barrie_Dude
Jun 11th, 2006, 01:24 AM
Please read this:
http://www.usta.com/nationaltenniscenternews/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=14185&itype=941&icategoryid=0

Louis Armstrong Stadium existed before the National Tennis Center.Thanks, it explains some. But my original question still applies: BJK/Stadium/Why Not? :shrug:

Barrie_Dude
Jun 11th, 2006, 01:25 AM
also....At the Berlin tournament, the center court is named the Graf Stadium :wavey:Another Stadium named after someone still alive!

Reuchlin
Jun 11th, 2006, 01:39 AM
Another Stadium named after someone still alive!
But it's GRAF! :worship: :worship: :worship:

Barrie_Dude
Jun 11th, 2006, 01:44 AM
But it's GRAF! :worship: :worship: :worship:I like Graf, but I will take BJK over her any day!

FaceyFacem
Jun 11th, 2006, 02:11 AM
i heard there were beginnings of talks to rename the USTA national tennis center to the "Billie Jean King USTA national tennis center"... but i guess nothing came of that?

Barrie_Dude
Jun 11th, 2006, 02:14 AM
i heard there were beginnings of talks to rename the USTA national tennis center to the "Billie Jean King USTA national tennis center"... but i guess nothing came of that?That I would love!:bounce:

Tennace
Jun 11th, 2006, 03:53 AM
They are probably waiting until shes dead :o

partbrit
Jun 11th, 2006, 04:10 AM
Here is the article in Tennis Week: http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=15382&bannerregion=

Barrie_Dude
Jun 11th, 2006, 07:45 PM
Billie Jean King/USTA National Tennis Center?
http://www.sportsmediainc.net/tennisweek/BILLIEJEANSMullane.jpg
photo by Susan Mullane By Tennis Week
05/26/2006

First ball of this year’s U.S. Open could be struck August 28 on the grounds of the (re)named “Billie Jean King/USTA National Tennis Center.” That is one of the ideas currently being floated around the White Plains headquarters as American tennis comes to grips with the most appropriate way to honor its leading woman.

Discussions of the progress for lionizing the iconic Hall of Famer during her lifetime began leaking out as soon as the USTA’s Board of Directors convened one of their regular meetings earlier this month in Honolulu. Indeed, a source confirmed that the idea of honoring King is supported at the highest levels of the organization, including by USTA President Franklin Johnson and Chief Executive Professional Tennis Arlen Kantarian.

However, there are issues to be resolved, including exactly what to name in honor of King. Rather than renaming the USTA National Tennis Center itself, and possibly foregoing the option of receiving potential millions in naming rights, the $40 million indoor building now under construction and scheduled for a 2007 completion could be the way to go.

Such an option would avoid the possible controversy over renaming the Grandstand, the only high profile venue available since Arthur Ashe and Louis Armstrong stadiums are already taken. However, naming the “third” court after King risks slighting a woman whose words and deeds changed America’s athletic and social landscape. King’s on-court record dwarfs Ashe’s (not to mention Armstrong’s, who had nothing to do with tennis but is affixed to a stadium as part of the USTA’s deal with landowner New York City) and only ill will can be derived from attempting to measure whether King or Ashe was the greater humanitarian.

An interesting parallel is the Australian Open, where Margaret Court gets third court billing in Melbourne while Rod Laver is featured over the primary court and the sponsored Vodafone Arena as the second largest. There, at least, the issue seems to be pretty much a tennis-to-tennis consideration; Court won more, but it can be argued that Laver brought slightly more to his homeland’s tradition. In her homeland, where Billie Jean King made it a life’s battle to fight for equal acceptance of the sexes, it has to be a win-win, not a win-show solution.

Referencing an anonymous insider, Bud Collins wrote in the May 12 Boston Globe that Johnson “appears to like the idea” of naming the National Tennis Center after the woman who claimed four singles, three doubles and three mixed doubles national championship titles. Surely, Kantarian will be sympathetic to a ceremony that will make for great television, and most people assume Jane Brown, who will take over from Johnson next year as USTA president, is also strongly behind honoring King’s legacy. There is surely some maneuvering in addition to getting it done as to who gets the credit, but that shouldn’t be an overwhelming obstacle.

Although the USTA will not officially comment on the progress of the possible honoring of Billie Jean King, when all the backstage maneuvering is done, a legend should be duly honored as will the Association itself when it celebrates the 125th anniversary of the U.S. National Championships — the Richard Sears 6-0, 6-3, 6-2 defeat of William Glyn — as well as the May 1881 meeting in Room F of New York City’s Fifth Avenue Hotel that led to the hatching of the United States National Lawn Tennis Association (today’s USTA). <

Barrie_Dude
Jun 11th, 2006, 07:46 PM
Here is the article in Tennis Week: http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=15382&bannerregion=Thanks!:worship:

Barrie_Dude
Jun 11th, 2006, 11:15 PM
bUMP

Barrie_Dude
Jun 13th, 2006, 04:07 PM
I want to write the USTA and pressure them!