PDA

View Full Version : Sharapova Talks about the Williams Sisters!

The_Pov
Jun 9th, 2006, 09:47 PM
Sharapova ready for grass court season

BIRMINGHAM, England (Ticker) - Maria Sharapova may have won a Wimbledon title and held the world's top ranking, but she will bound into the new grasscourt season next week convinced the world is yet to see the best of her.

The Russian 19-year-old is hoping to put a problematic recent ankle injury behind her and warm up for the All England Club by claiming a hat trick of titles at the DFS Classic here.

And while some pain still lingers after a grueling fight through to the fourth round of the French Open last week, Sharapova insists the mere sight of a grass court again will help her recovery no end.

"It is very exciting to be back because it is my favorite time of the year when I am playing on grass and usually all my injuries go away when I am playing on this court," Sharapova said. "I feel I have incorporated a lot of new things into my game and physically I am a lot stronger than I was a year ago. I feel like I am improving with every match.

"I realize I am not at the peak of my career at this point and it doesn't happen overnight, but it is something I am looking forward to building every day. I know it is not going to be easy."

Sharapova will head to Wimbledon in two weeks' time still searching for that elusive second Grand Slam title after her unexpected triumph as a 17-year-old in 2004.

Then Sharapova's talent and personality propelled her to overnight superstardom and a series of lucrative endorsements followed, making her reportedly the richest sportswoman in the world.

Sharapova insists she remains solely focused on tennis for the time being - but understands the dilemma of the Williams sisters, whose eager pursuit of other interests has seen them slide down the world rankings.

"If I was in that position of having won so many Grand Slams, I don't think there would be anything wrong with trying new things in life," Sharapova said. "It is great they have got so many opportunities that tennis has brought them and I see no reason why they cannot exploit them.

"Maybe I will after I have won eight Grand Slams, but for now I think I need to achieve a little bit more

SelesFan70
Jun 9th, 2006, 09:49 PM
Peace and love to abound on WTAWorld after this! :angel:

:scared:

hingisGOAT
Jun 9th, 2006, 09:52 PM
i give it 10 minutes before sharapova is called a bitch

VeeDaQueen
Jun 9th, 2006, 09:52 PM
sharapova's a bitch! rot in hell maria! :mad:

The_Pov
Jun 9th, 2006, 09:55 PM

Didn't even take that long, less than a minute :haha:

Some fans are so predictable

VeeDaQueen
Jun 9th, 2006, 09:56 PM

we posted at the same time :haha:

davidmario
Jun 9th, 2006, 09:56 PM
LOL :lol:
that wasn't even one minute.

VeeDaQueen
Jun 9th, 2006, 10:03 PM
ok... no need for the :rolleyes: i was being sarcastic because that is the usual answer from some people. no need to get on the defensive, sharapova fans.

some fan bases are sOOOOO predictable :rolleyes:

Libertango
Jun 9th, 2006, 10:06 PM
:hug: for Maria. All is forgiven. :)

bis2806
Jun 9th, 2006, 10:14 PM

Vamos Maria!

Craigy
Jun 9th, 2006, 10:15 PM
ok... no need for the :rolleyes: i was being sarcastic because that is the usual answer from some people. no need to get on the defensive, sharapova fans.

TeaMMasha can't detect sarcasim if its to do with Maria though :lol:

bis2806
Jun 9th, 2006, 10:17 PM
Maria fans are sensitive to jokes :lol:

Volcana
Jun 9th, 2006, 10:17 PM
I am shocked Sharapova had anything at all to say about Venus or Serena. I get the feeling there was a question asked that isn't in the article.

Pheobo
Jun 9th, 2006, 10:19 PM

All fan bases are predictable.

VeeDaQueen
Jun 9th, 2006, 10:19 PM
How can you take it as a joke when it happens so often :lol:

Other fans ruin fan bases humor!

my fave gets hated on constantly, but i know when some people are kidding

VeeDaQueen
Jun 9th, 2006, 10:20 PM
no

sfselesfan
Jun 9th, 2006, 10:22 PM
The thread title was asking for it.

SF

VeeDaQueen
Jun 9th, 2006, 10:22 PM
i just know how some posters type and some posters only joke, while some are only serious.

VeeDaQueen
Jun 9th, 2006, 10:28 PM
well that's what you get for thinking :)

TeaMMashA
Jun 9th, 2006, 10:29 PM
well that's what you get for thinking :)

No not really because it could have been a real negative post towards her like it is 90% of the time ;)

The_Pov
Jun 9th, 2006, 10:30 PM
Maria fans are sensitive to jokes :lol:

OMW you wouldn't know sarcasm if it gave you genital warts, you didn't even know what Rhetoric was (a sarcastic device) :rolleyes:

volta
Jun 9th, 2006, 10:32 PM
tell it like it is Mariah :yeah:

meyerpl
Jun 9th, 2006, 10:39 PM
:lol: I got it, I laughed, and I'm not that sharp.

Derek.
Jun 9th, 2006, 11:06 PM
She just doesn't mind if they leave because they are competition. :p

The_Pov
Jun 9th, 2006, 11:09 PM

Don't stir :p

Slumpsova
Jun 9th, 2006, 11:30 PM
"Maybe I will after I have won eight Grand Slams, but for now I think I need to achieve a little bit more

does that comment come from a girl once said "i'm not Anna Kournikova"?

Kart
Jun 9th, 2006, 11:34 PM
Peace and love to abound on WTAWorld after this! :angel:

As evidenced in this thread so far :tape:.

Nice words from Maria which I agree with :yeah:.

new-york
Jun 9th, 2006, 11:35 PM
right Maria.

But hey, Venus & Serena!! Focus on tennis!! :lol:

Zauber
Jun 9th, 2006, 11:35 PM
I am glad that she still seems to be ambitious.
At least she does not want to get married yet. like one of the other players I like.

Reuchlin
Jun 9th, 2006, 11:37 PM
I am glad that she still seems to be ambitious.
At least she does not want to get married yet. like one of the other players I like.
lol

iPatty
Jun 9th, 2006, 11:37 PM
This thread. :rolls:

TeaMMasha. :rolls:

!<blocparty>!
Jun 9th, 2006, 11:44 PM
Bitch!

new-york
Jun 9th, 2006, 11:48 PM
I am shocked Sharapova had anything at all to say about Venus or Serena. I get the feeling there was a question asked that isn't in the article.

as usual.

Bounty Hunter
Jun 10th, 2006, 12:04 AM

:lol: :lol:

MrSerenaWilliams
Jun 10th, 2006, 01:28 AM
Nice words Maria! :hug: I like how she gave Serena another slam too...:bigclap: although everyone here knows that she'll retire with more than eight!

SAEKeithSerena
Jun 10th, 2006, 02:53 AM
this is why i LOVE maria sharapova. but serena will be back, and their rivalry will become one of the greatest. thanks for your kind words, maria:)

Barrie_Dude
Jun 10th, 2006, 03:01 AM
I like Masha! I think that she was being gracious!

mykarma
Jun 10th, 2006, 03:22 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol:
You know that's wrong.

Carmen Mairena
Jun 10th, 2006, 10:41 AM
Blondes can talk! :speakles: :eek: :bolt:

Too harsh Maria! :retard:

The_Pov
Jun 10th, 2006, 10:46 AM
It's nice that other fans can see Maria is the ultra heartless bitch she's made out to be.

I also like the fact she's not jumping on the bandwagon saying Serena needs to get fit blah blah blah, Maria's right Serena can do what she wants, if she wants to play she will, if she wants to other thing so be it.

jacobruiz
Jun 10th, 2006, 04:46 PM
"If I was in that position of having won so many Grand Slams, I don't think there would be anything wrong with trying new things in life," Sharapova said. "It is great they have got so many opportunities that tennis has brought them and I see no reason why they cannot exploit them.

Maria.:worship: :kiss: Very wise and true words!

serenafan08
Jun 10th, 2006, 05:42 PM
I like that comment actually. Maria will get a lot of opportunities once she wins more Slams. Being a Grand Slam champion will open doors; it already has, but once she wins more it will open up a lot of new things for her to try. It sounds like she likes the idea of life outside of tennis.

GracefulVenus
Jun 10th, 2006, 05:44 PM
:)

LH2HBH
Jun 10th, 2006, 05:52 PM
That's so fuckin awesome - the Maria haters are putting a smile on my face!!!!

nhissan
Jun 10th, 2006, 06:18 PM
I think Maria admire Williams sisters cause they have the same game they also love Wimbledon and do the same salute to the crowd.

furrykitten
Jun 10th, 2006, 06:22 PM
Its good to see Maria saying nice things about the Williams sisters :hug:

Lulu.
Jun 10th, 2006, 06:50 PM
:yawn:

Denise4925
Jun 10th, 2006, 07:30 PM
It's nice that other fans can see Maria is the ultra heartless bitch she's made out to be.

I also like the fact she's not jumping on the bandwagon saying Serena needs to get fit blah blah blah, Maria's right Serena can do what she wants, if she wants to play she will, if she wants to other thing so be it.
Is that the same bandwagon you're always riding? :lol:

Anyway, nice words from Maria. I may have been too harsh on her in the past. Whatever happened, all is forgiven. ;)

:secret: At least until she beats one of my faves again.

Couver
Jun 11th, 2006, 12:28 AM
That's very classy, but then she's always been a nice person IMO.

Certain people these boards just choose to villanize certain players for whatever reason, especially for on court behaviour which I think at times can be unfair. With Maria & Serena it's that and basically ever move, word, or anything they do. I also hate the constant shit stirring between Maria and WS fans. I've never had a problem with Sharpova, I still don't and I probably won't ever.

ceiling_fan
Jun 11th, 2006, 07:31 AM

The more i read this, the funnier it sounds.

pav
Jun 11th, 2006, 08:07 AM
Hasn't Maria got anything interesting to talk about?