PDA

View Full Version : Former tournament winner Brenda Schultz is denied a qualy WC in Birmingham next week

spiceboy
Jun 9th, 2006, 04:40 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=&xml=/sport/2006/06/06/stsurb06.xml

Big-serving Brenda out to give it one more go
By Claire Middleton
(Filed: 06/06/2006)

The British grasscourt season got off to the most untraditional of starts yesterday when the sun shone at the Surbiton Trophy. However, Brenda Schultz-McCarthy, who is attempting a comeback at the age of 35, will have to find another route if she is to fulfil her dream of "one more good Wimbledon".

Schultz-McCarthy, or big-serving Brenda as the 6ft 2in Dutchwoman is probably best remembered, was a top-10 player whose huge delivery earned her countless scalps, especially at Wimbledon where she was regularly in the last 16.

Every year from 1990-97 she was the fastest server - her personal best was clocked at 123 mph - so perhaps it was no surprise that her career would be halted by back trouble.

A herniated disc in 1998 stopped her in her tracks and though she tried to return the following year, she had to quit at the peak of her powers. Upset at being unable to set her own agenda when it came to retirement, she is back on the tour and hoping for a decent swansong.

So desperate was she to play again that she repaid a whopping chunk of an insurance policy, which had paid out after her injury. "It was most of my prize money," she shrugged, which was remarkably philosophical considering her earnings topped Ģ1.33 million and the cheque for yesterday's 7-5, 2-6, 7-6 loss to Japan's Seiko Okamoto was a princely Ģ227.12. "My husband wants kids, I want kids, but I have to do this first," she said.

The owner of a tennis academy set in 360 acres of Virginia's Blue Ridge Mountains, she was coach to the Dutch Fed Cup team last year - until she discovered that she could beat the players and decided to re-start her career.

Ranked 606 in the world, she came through qualifying here and had hoped for a wild card into qualifying for the DFS Classic at Edgbaston next week. She was denied, which seems a bit churlish given that she won the thing back in 1992.

"You can't get the winning feeling at an academy and I still want to win. You can't beat that feeling but that means risking feeling the pain of losing too," she said.

tenn_ace
Jun 9th, 2006, 04:44 PM
losers :rolleyes:

Drake1980
Jun 9th, 2006, 05:01 PM
:eek: That's horrifying!

AyumiMorita
Jun 9th, 2006, 05:03 PM
thats mean
she won it!
and a qualie wildcard?
sucks

Kart
Jun 9th, 2006, 05:06 PM
Shameful.

TS
Jun 9th, 2006, 05:21 PM
That is ridiculous that they couldn't even give her a qualifying wildcard. Sure her form hasn't been all that great, but she is a former champion and relatively well known by casual fans. So why not?

Helen Lawson
Jun 9th, 2006, 05:26 PM
I don't know, if I called AMPAS and asked to present Best Actress next year, I'd get laughed off the phone.

exodus'05
Jun 9th, 2006, 05:32 PM
they could have at least given her a quallie WC

TheAllan
Jun 9th, 2006, 05:40 PM
I don't know. Does she deserve it more than a young British hopeful trying to build a career? How many fans would go to Birmingham qualies to see Brenda? 1992 is a bit far back, frankly. If her goal is Wimbledon this year, she should have picked up the racket sooner.

Carmen Mairena
Jun 9th, 2006, 05:43 PM
:retard: :retard: :retard:

faboozadoo15
Jun 9th, 2006, 05:48 PM
I don't know. Does she deserve it more than a young British hopeful trying to build a career? How many fans would go to Birmingham qualies to see Brenda? 1992 is a bit far back, frankly. If her goal is Wimbledon this year, she should have picked up the racket sooner.
true, but it's a QUALI wildcard........... and she's won the tournament before.

spiceboy
Jun 9th, 2006, 05:55 PM
Let's not forget that Brenda was ranked as high as # 9 in the world in 1996 and she is a former Wimbledon quarterfinalist :worship:

JackFrost
Jun 9th, 2006, 05:58 PM
Well, I said my opinion already in that other thread about that Brenda/Wildcard Thing.

I donīt think, it really makes sense to give a wildcard to Brenda. Yeah, it would be fun, to see her again. At least for some old tennisfans, who still know her.
I think, younger tennisfans couldnīt care less. She was not a Star like Graf, Sabatini, Seles, Navratilova, Sanchez etc..
As player she has no future on todays tour.

TheAllan
Jun 9th, 2006, 06:06 PM
She's hasn't done much with the wildcards (Q and MD) she already received this year. I don't see any forcing reason why she should continue getting them. Even if the grass is greener.

sfselesfan
Jun 9th, 2006, 06:08 PM
Total political bullshit! I never liked Brenda very much...but she's getting totally ripped on by Birmingham!

SF

GoDominique
Jun 9th, 2006, 06:09 PM
Outrageous!

spiceboy
Jun 9th, 2006, 06:16 PM
I donīt think, it really makes sense to give a wildcard to Brenda. Yeah, it would be fun, to see her again. At least for some old tennisfans, who still know her.
I think, younger tennisfans couldnīt care less.

You'd be surprised how not-so old tennis fans still remember her. Plus do you think main attendance in tournaments are teenagers who only care about Sharapova? :lol:

BTW, Brenda bt Danielle Brown 60 60 to qualify last week for Surbiton Main Draw on grass before losing in a 3rd set TB against Okamoto :help:

She can certainly play, ask Cara Black who went down against her 75 62 in Tier I Tokyo last January in her first official match in 7 years :worship:

Yeah, the same Cara Black who got a MD WC in Wimbledon last year and got to the 3rd round...

SelesFan70
Jun 9th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Outrageous!

Really now? :lol:

sfselesfan
Jun 9th, 2006, 06:23 PM
She was...to me...the first true BIG BABE...

SF