PDA

View Full Version : Why is Lindsay Davenport not playing any of the grass tune-ups?

CoryAnnAvants#1
Jun 9th, 2006, 12:05 AM
Is she going to ask for a wildcard anywhere or is she intending on walking into a Grand Slam having not played a match in 3 1/2 months?...

PatM04
Jun 9th, 2006, 12:08 AM
More time to rest the back, probably hoping she has some good first round matches where she'll get to hit a lot of balls to find a rythm

Reuchlin
Jun 9th, 2006, 12:14 AM
Well Mary Joe said that the "back was getting better very, very, very fast" meaning she just used it as an excuse to not play the claycourt season.

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 9th, 2006, 12:16 AM
Well Mary Joe said that the "back was getting better very, very, very fast" meaning she just used it as an excuse to not play the claycourt season.

Didn't Mary Joe also say that she was "50/50" for Wimbledon ? :confused:

Yonexforever
Jun 9th, 2006, 12:19 AM
Mary Joe is a kiss ass!

MH0861
Jun 9th, 2006, 12:21 AM
Because she's a stubborn ho.

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 9th, 2006, 12:23 AM
Mary Joe is a kiss ass!

:kiss: ( o )

RJWCapriati
Jun 9th, 2006, 12:58 AM
I think Lindsay will be just fine without playing a tuneup.

The Daviator
Jun 9th, 2006, 01:12 AM
There's still time for her to accept a wildcard for Eastbourne, although if she's going to do that then I'd expect a statement no later than the weekend...

Still, in 2000 Venus was out for a long period and she won, so there's hope for Linds :angel:

-jenks-
Jun 9th, 2006, 01:13 AM
She didn't last year either did she?

MH0861
Jun 9th, 2006, 01:19 AM
She didn't last year either did she?

She hasn't in years, but she wasn't out since March then, either.

venus_rulez
Jun 9th, 2006, 01:29 AM
How many people have won a slam without playing a warmup? Obviously Venus and Serena have done it. How many others have? I'd assume Wimbledon or the Aussie would be the most likely where players have skipped warmups to play.

robert6061
Jun 9th, 2006, 01:38 AM
Lindsay won Eastbourne on one occasion but normally comes into Wimbledon without playing a warm up event. Like the Daviator, Lindsay is my favourite player but the prospect of her coming into Wimbledon so short of match practice is a worry.

The most important thing is that her back is on the mend and she will kick some serious butt during the US hardcourt season.

As an aside, Mary Jo Fernandez isn't a kiss ass. I've sat near her a few times at tournaments and I confess that I've overheard some of her conversations. It's patently obvious that she is very intelligent and articulate with a mind of her own.She has also been a friend of Lindsay's for over a decade so she is privy to lots of inside information.

Go Lindsay!!!!!

SelesFan70
Jun 9th, 2006, 02:44 AM
Lindsay will be just fine coming in cold...at least until the semi-finals. :unsure:

Reuchlin
Jun 9th, 2006, 02:45 AM
Lindsay won Eastbourne on one occasion but normally comes into Wimbledon without playing a warm up event. Like the Daviator, Lindsay is my favourite player but the prospect of her coming into Wimbledon so short of match practice is a worry.

The most important thing is that her back is on the mend and she will kick some serious butt during the US hardcourt season.

As an aside, Mary Jo Fernandez isn't a kiss ass. I've sat near her a few times at tournaments and I confess that I've overheard some of her conversations. It's patently obvious that she is very intelligent and articulate with a mind of her own.She has also been a friend of Lindsay's for over a decade so she is privy to lots of inside information.

Go Lindsay!!!!!

right on :worship: :worship: :worship:

Derek.
Jun 9th, 2006, 03:45 AM
Lindsay will be rusty. :scared: :devil:

bis2806
Jun 9th, 2006, 03:50 AM

Go Lindsay!!!!!

Right on!!! :D

LoveFifteen
Jun 9th, 2006, 04:36 AM
Lindsay will be rusty. :scared: :devil:

I am pretty sure she'll be able to play herself into form by the second week. She's old now, and playing a warm-up would wear out her body. It's better if she plays as little as possible.

darrinbaker00
Jun 9th, 2006, 05:36 AM
Mary Joe is a kiss ass!
Mary Joe won six doubles titles with Lindsay, and Mary Joe's husband is Lindsay's agent. One person's "kiss a**" is another person's "close friend."

lindsayno1
Jun 9th, 2006, 08:12 AM
i think shes been practicing more than u people think!

TomTennis
Jun 9th, 2006, 08:19 AM
She has won Easbourne, but she lost in the opening round in 2003, and said she didnt want to play there if the wind was bad again!

Plus, everyone knows that she only had a tiny niggle (if anything!) in her back. It really was just to get out of playing on clay.

She will be fresh and ready for Wimbledon. Im betting she is striking the ball really well. I doubt she needs a warm up tournament.

mike/topgun
Jun 9th, 2006, 09:29 AM
Lindsay won in Eastbourne only once, and before her '99 win she did only practise in Cali on her neighbour's court, so hopefully that's what she's doing atm:)
She will be fresh and ready for Wimbledon. Im betting she is striking the ball really well. I doubt she needs a warm up tournament.
That's for sure;)
but no play in 3 months doesn't sound, you know, like "really well prepared" to win the title:p still there's a great chance she'll show up, and even without a warmup she is a THREAT in Wimbledon

mr_burns
Jun 9th, 2006, 09:50 AM
I would prefer seeing her wih a warm up...she never skipped the french the last years. and it helped, now her last match is Iw

Jakeev
Jun 9th, 2006, 10:49 AM
Is she going to ask for a wildcard anywhere or is she intending on walking into a Grand Slam having not played a match in 3 1/2 months?...

I'm kinda surprised by it too but who knows perhaps she is counting on some of the top players to be a bit tired by the Wimbledon.

Farina Elia Fan
Jun 9th, 2006, 11:49 AM
She has won Easbourne, but she lost in the opening round in 2003, and said she didnt want to play there if the wind was bad again!

Plus, everyone knows that she only had a tiny niggle (if anything!) in her back. It really was just to get out of playing on clay.

It was the 2nd round to Farina Elia :p

That day was sooooo day. She was covered out and really looked like she didnt want to be there.

I agree with you - if it was the American hard court season not clay she would have been back! I bet Lindsay cant wait to get back out there and IMO dont playing the clay will do her the world of good

tenn_ace
Jun 9th, 2006, 12:02 PM
I don't think Linzi really needed - especially cmoing back to grass. The first 2 rounds of Wimbledon will give her good match practice.

Marcus1979
Jun 9th, 2006, 12:30 PM
most winners of Wimbledon have not won leadup grass events anyway

2005: Venus only played Wimbledon
2004: Sharapova won Birmingham and Wimbledon
2003: Serena only played Wimbledon
2002: Serena only played Wimbledon
2001: Venus only played Wimbledon
2000: Venus only played Wimbledon
1999: Davenport only played Wimbledon
1998: Novotna won Eastbourne and Wimbledon
1997: Hingis only played Wimbledon
1996: Graf only played Wimbledon
1995: Graf only played Wimbledon
1994: Martinez only played Wimbledon
1993: Graf only played Wimbledon
1992: Graf only played Wimbledon
1991: Graf only played Wimbledon
1990: Navratilova won Eastbourne and Wimbledon

Lindsayfan32
Jun 9th, 2006, 12:39 PM
Lindsay came in with only one match in two months before Wimbledon 2000 and she still made the final. I put put money on it she's been at home practicing on grass instead of playing on clay. We all know Lindsay's worst surface is clay and how hard it is on the body.

The Daviator
Jun 9th, 2006, 01:08 PM
I just want her there! :bounce:

Keep resting the back Lindsay :)

!<blocparty>!
Jun 9th, 2006, 01:19 PM
Because she's busy shopping with Gwen and Gavin.

watchdogfish
Jun 9th, 2006, 01:20 PM
I think Lindsay's being smart by not playing the warm-ups and spending time resting her back. She's 30 years old now and she's being a bit like Agassi, picking the surfaces and tournaments she thinks she could well at, without sacrificing her health. Why risk aggrevating an injury by playing on a surface that brought relatively little success than on other surfaces? Perhaps going into a Grand Slam with no match practice since March is a bit risky, especially with a mountain of points to defend, but I do believe that Lindsay is doing the right thing at this point in her career.

Loughyunijen
Jun 9th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Everybody knows Lindsay's back is just fine she just used that as an excuse to sack of the clay season and instead..bum gwen's ass!

She'll come to wimbledon...I expect quaters at the least although this will depend on her draw...as her rankings have slipped due to her not playing much since march.

hingis-seles
Jun 9th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Lindsay came in with only one match in two months before Wimbledon 2000 and she still made the final. I put put money on it she's been at home practicing on grass instead of playing on clay. We all know Lindsay's worst surface is clay and how hard it is on the body.

She lost to Van Roost in her opening match at Roland Garros and again at one of the grasscourt warmups (I think Eastboune), so that's 2 matches. She had a cushy draw in 2000 - Capriati, Seles, and Dokic before the final.

Slumpsova
Jun 9th, 2006, 03:38 PM
i miss Lindsay like hell :bigcry:
she should play some more before Wimbledon.

af11
Jun 9th, 2006, 03:49 PM
it's only a rumor, a pure gossip, however some ES commentators said she is pregnant.

!<blocparty>!
Jun 9th, 2006, 03:51 PM
She lost to Van Roost in her opening match at Roland Garros and again at one of the grasscourt warmups (I think Eastboune), so that's 2 matches. She had a cushy draw in 2000 - Capriati, Seles, and Dokic before the final.

Seles wasn't exactly cushy, she won the first set on a TB. Who else was in the draw that could have made her path to the final tricky, minus Willies.

tenn_ace
Jun 9th, 2006, 03:53 PM
it's only a rumor, a pure gossip, however some ES commentators said she is pregnant.

little (big) baby Davenport.... Yay! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

RAA
Jun 9th, 2006, 04:01 PM
well its not like she has a lot of grass "tune up" options.
no one does really.

lindsay's game is well suited to grass. I don't think she'll need much time to adjust to it. she might be flat out RUSTY from lack of match play, but I don't think that will have anything to do with the surface.

The Daviator
Jun 9th, 2006, 04:05 PM

Who said that and what exactly did they say then? It's not like commentators to say she 'might' be pregnant, she either is or she isn't...

af11
Jun 9th, 2006, 06:33 PM
Who said that and what exactly did they say then? It's not like commentators to say she 'might' be pregnant, she either is or she isn't...
ES Italian commentators and Silvia Farina said that there is this rumors and that until now is just a gossip.

Farina Elia Fan
Jun 9th, 2006, 06:42 PM
ES Italian commentators and Silvia Farina said that there is this rumors and that until now is just a gossip.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Silvia is full of gossip these days!!!!

Loughyunijen
Jun 9th, 2006, 06:48 PM
Lindsay isnt pregnant. its just all gossip.

Filippo-Nastya
Jun 9th, 2006, 07:32 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Silvia is full of gossip these days!!!!

Did you watch Nastya vs Henin last Sunday?
Above all in the 1st set, Silvia talked more about the presumed relationship between Nastya and Melzer than about the tennis match.
Hey Silvia, mind your own business!! :lol:

Farina Elia Fan
Jun 9th, 2006, 07:34 PM
Did you watch Nastya vs Henin last Sunday?
Above all in the 1st set, Silvia talked more about the presumed relationship between Nastya and Melzer than about the tennis match.
Hey Silvia, mind your own business!! :lol:

Gossip is great! :p :p :p :p :p

MH0861
Jun 9th, 2006, 07:38 PM
Silvia should have her own SI.com column. :lol:

hingis-seles
Jun 9th, 2006, 07:44 PM
Seles wasn't exactly cushy, she won the first set on a TB. Who else was in the draw that could have made her path to the final tricky, minus Willies.

Hingis/Serena/Venus were all in the top half and Lindsay was more or less by herself in the bottom half (Mary, who had won RG lost early). The draw opened up nicely for her. Lindsay has an easy time with Monica, and especially on grass, with Monica's fitness at the time, the final result was never in doubt. It was kind of sad watching her get bagelled in the third set. Anyhow, back on topic. She had a cushy draw. You make it sound like it's a bad thing!

Farina Elia Fan
Jun 9th, 2006, 07:47 PM
Silvia should have her own SI.com column. :lol:

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

tennisboi
Jun 9th, 2006, 08:03 PM
most winners of Wimbledon have not won leadup grass events anyway

2005: Venus only played Wimbledon
2004: Sharapova won Birmingham and Wimbledon
2003: Serena only played Wimbledon
2002: Serena only played Wimbledon
2001: Venus only played Wimbledon