PDA

View Full Version : Svetlana is the new Tsarina of all the Russias?

Sam L
Jun 8th, 2006, 11:30 PM
At least going by slam finals record.

Maria Sharapova - 1/1
Elena Dementieva - 0/2
Anastasia Myskina - 1/1
Svetlana Kuznetsova - ?? (at worst 1/2)

Or is it still Sharapova? Yes, Petrova's #1 Russian now but that doesn't mean much without the slams.

mboyle
Jun 8th, 2006, 11:45 PM
Sharapova has been no. 1.
Sharapova has twice as many titles.
Sharapova has won the YEC and more tier 1 titles.
Sharapova has not been ranked outside the top 5 in the past year and a half.

If Kuznetsova wins her second slam, she is probably slightly ahead, but if she falls in the final, she is still a distant second best.

Marcus1979
Jun 8th, 2006, 11:50 PM
players are more known for the slams they win than the other titles they win ;)

i.e if u go by stats and your logic u would say Venus is better than Serena as she has more titles but Serena has more slams tho

mboyle
Jun 9th, 2006, 12:21 AM
players are more known for the slams they win than the other titles they win ;)

i.e if u go by stats and your logic u would say Venus is better than Serena as she has more titles but Serena has more slams tho

Serena has been no. 1 though for a lot longer than Venus, and Serena has a better win percentage. Also, Serena held all 4 slams at once. There is a much bigger gap between Maria's non slam accomplishments and Sveta's than between Venus' and Serena's. Also, I conceded that Sveta would be the best Russian if she won the slam. Grand slam finals mean jack shit. Capriati will be remembered as better than Clijsters because Cappy won 3 slams and Kim will probably win 1, but Kim overall has 5 slam finals to cappy's 3.

Marcus1979
Jun 9th, 2006, 12:27 AM
getya I mis understood what u meant

sorry

I was thinking u meant if Sveta wins roland Garros Sharapova would still be better

sorry :hug:

The Daviator
Jun 9th, 2006, 12:38 AM
Sharapova has been no. 1.
Sharapova has twice as many titles.
Sharapova has won the YEC and more tier 1 titles.
Sharapova has not been ranked outside the top 5 in the past year and a half.

If Kuznetsova wins her second slam, she is probably slightly ahead, but if she falls in the final, she is still a distant second best.

If Sveta wins RG then she will clearly be ahead of Sharapova, not slightly, first and foremost is the number of Slams one has...

faboozadoo15
Jun 9th, 2006, 01:26 AM
slam finals without winning them are kind of meaningless. i mean, sharapova has made many more semifinals than sveta and has gone deeper far more consistently, and if sharapova only had to go through safina and vaidisova on a favorable surface to her, she'd be back in a final. she's gone down to far more formidable, in form players in her slam matches.