PDA

View Full Version : Satisfied Clijsters

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 9th, 2006, 12:23 AM
For Kim Clijsters, reaching the semifinals at the French Open was good enough.

After losing the first four Grand Slam finals of her career, the Belgian broke through by winning her first major title at last year's U.S. Open. She's taken a step back since, retiring in the semifinals at the Australian Open in January, and losing 6-3, 6-2 to Justine Henin-Hardenne at Roland Garros on Thursday.

"I'm definitely not complaining about the tournament that I've had," said Clijsters, who turned 23 on Thursday. "If people would have asked me or told me I was going to play a semifinal here this week, I would have been really happy."

Clijsters could have moved up from No. 2 to No. 1 in the rankings, a spot she's held before, by reaching the final in Paris. But she made 29 unforced errors against Henin-Hardenne, 19 in the second set.

"I think she's by far the best clay-court player," Clijsters said. "She just moves so well."

Clijsters plans to pare down her usually heavy summer schedule, playing only at Stanford, San Diego, Montreal and the U.S. Open, and has yet to commit to Belgium's Fed Cup match against the United States next month.

yukon145
Jun 9th, 2006, 12:29 AM
considering Kim is the world number #2 she shouldn't be happy in the semis. with this mind set she wont win another grand slam.

i really like Kim alot, but i sorta feel like shes saying to herself, "I have my grandslam now and now i can relax a bit."

Andy.
Jun 9th, 2006, 12:30 AM
I dont know if thats the right attitude to have, sure many players would love to be in a semi but for the world number 2 and GS Champ she should be at least a little dissapointed, she just doesnt seem to have that edge and compeditive streak anymore and that real killer insinct and hunger.

Sam L
Jun 9th, 2006, 12:32 AM
considering Kim is the world number #2 she shouldn't be happy in the semis. with this mind set she wont win another grand slam.

i really like Kim alot, but i sorta feel like shes saying to herself, "I have my grandslam now and now i can relax a bit."
She doesn't have what it takes in her to be the next Graf, Seles etc... I'm not talking about skill. I'm talking about heart.

This is one of the biggest reasons why I don't like her as a tennis player.

MH0861
Jun 9th, 2006, 12:35 AM
:shrug: This is not the Kim Clijsters I used to know.

spencercarlos
Jun 9th, 2006, 01:12 AM

And especially after playing so badly in the semis, had she given a good battle, things could be different, but she played awful today.

meggz_star
Jun 9th, 2006, 01:17 AM
She really seemed out of it today

Zauber
Jun 9th, 2006, 01:19 AM
she is satisfied.
That is why she is only a one slam wonder so far.
I think that is why she has underachieved.

SAEKeithSerena
Jun 9th, 2006, 01:28 AM
the problem with kim is she seems to be "always happy." that attitude makes me not even care that she's going to retire and makes me fear for her future.

Lulu.
Jun 9th, 2006, 01:42 AM

Thats excatly what she is saying

Diesel
Jun 9th, 2006, 01:47 AM
Why doesn't she just call it a day now :shrug:

faboozadoo15
Jun 9th, 2006, 02:23 AM
Why doesn't she just call it a day now :shrug:
money, maybe, sponsorships, wants to keep her ranking afloat.

i wish she would quit. there's no sense in being perhaps the greatest athlete in the draw but only having half a heart.

~|Naomi|~
Jun 9th, 2006, 02:23 AM
Oh please, people read her whole interview.
In it she says she is dissappointed by losing.
But at the same time, on reflection she is happy with a SF at RG because at the end of the day it is still a good result - especially given it is her least favourite surface.

KIM CLIJSTERS: I mean, it's disappointing. But, you know, I'm definitely not complaining about the tournament I've had. If people would have asked me or told me I was going to play a semifinal here this week, I would have been really happy. But obviously when you lose a match, it doesn't matter who to, I mean, it's always a little bit disappointing. And especially straight after the match when they put a camera on your face, it's not always easy.

switz
Jun 9th, 2006, 03:15 AM
if that's the way that she wants to look at it then that's fine but i find it a terrible attitude for a pro athlete with her ability to have. She really hasn't seemed interested in tennis IMO since winning the US Open and i actually do believe that she'll retire when she says she will now.

kabuki
Jun 9th, 2006, 03:20 AM
I wish Kim was a little less satisfied.

Justeenium
Jun 9th, 2006, 03:22 AM
maybe she LIKES to play tennis that's why she doesn't retire now.

She made it to the semifinals and lost to a two-time champ. No biggie.

LoveFifteen
Jun 9th, 2006, 03:54 AM
Man, Kim, please retire now while most tennis fans still like you. :rolleyes:

chuCKnorris
Jun 9th, 2006, 08:58 AM
I think you haters should be satisfied too :p
She didn't win RG after all. :) You would be so mad if she did, wouldn't you? :D

Yasmine
Jun 9th, 2006, 09:09 AM
Well for someone who's been saying she doesn't like clay winning Warsaw and the semis of RG, I mean it could be worse :scratch: She was off yesterday but as if it never happens to any player...
And yes I'm sure she enjoys being on the court (although it didn't seem like it yesterday) considers there are other things just as important in life and she had her lot of injuries too. I don't blame her, even if as a fan I'ld love to see her play a little bit more than what she planned.

Yasmine
Jun 9th, 2006, 09:11 AM
I think you haters should be satisfied too :p
She didn't win RG after all. :) You would be so mad if she did, wouldn't you? :D
don't bother;) had she won RG we would have seen many saying she didn't deserve it or only did because such and such choked or whatever :rolleyes: it's a no win situation.

fifiricci
Jun 9th, 2006, 09:19 AM
I wish Kim was a little less satisfied.

I couldn't agree more. Still its her life, Kim will do what Kim wants to do.

In CCL load of people are saying that Kim is building up to grass and the hard courts, never had any designs on winning RG (despite 11 fans bagging her to win the thing in the RG poll ;) ) etc etc.

As a Kim fan, I'll give it until the end of the USO to see if this "half heartedness" or self satisfaction is really that (I think it is) or the result of her season so far being affected by some little injuries and now her apparent hate of clay (which are the defence points used by the die hard Kim fans that aren't prepared to acknowledge that Kim is not still giving it "200%").

I really do think that Kim's tennis bubble burst after she won the 2005 USO and that we will not see the likes of last summer again. But I will be DELIGHTED for Kim to prove me wrong in the grass and hard court seasons.

Bring em on! :devil:

Yasmine
Jun 9th, 2006, 09:23 AM
yes fifi, and actually I decided since the beginning of the french open not to expect anything huge and big. Just take it one match at a time and enjoy when she does well. Nothing more. So I'm pretty happy with a Semi at RG.

Uranus
Jun 9th, 2006, 04:23 PM
She said at the beginning of the tournament that she would be happy if she reaches the 4th round :lol: