PDA

View Full Version : Instant Replay Coming to U.S. Open Series

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 9th, 2006, 12:22 AM
PARIS (June 8) - The 10 U.S. Open Series summer tournaments will use the instant replay technology that won rave reviews from many players when unveiled by the pro tours at Key Biscayne in March.

Electronic reviews with player challenges will be used at tournaments in Indianapolis, Washington, Toronto, Cincinnati and New Haven for the men, and Stanford, San Diego, Los Angeles, Montreal and New Haven for the women, the U.S. Tennis Association said Thursday.

The USTA earlier announced that instant replay would make its Grand Slam debut at the U.S. Open in August.

At Key Biscayne, fans clamored for replays, and player reaction was mostly favorable. Of 161 rulings challenged, 53 (33 percent) were reversed.

"Instant replay has proven to enhance officiating for players, while adding to the excitement and intrigue for fans and television viewers," USTA chief executive Arlen Kantarian said.

mboyle
Jun 9th, 2006, 12:25 AM
No more Cappy-Serena 04 controversy...thank. god.

MH0861
Jun 9th, 2006, 12:37 AM
No more Cappy-Serena 04 controversy...thank. god.

Unless a player runs out of challenges. :help:

UDACHi
Jun 9th, 2006, 12:37 AM
New Haven, too?! :woohoo:

MH0861
Jun 9th, 2006, 12:38 AM
By the way, why is instant replay going to be at the men's Cincy event and not the women's? Aren't they at the same facility? Or is it because it's just a tier III?

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 9th, 2006, 12:41 AM
By the way, why is instant replay going to be at the men's Cincy event and not the women's? Aren't they at the same facility? Or is it because it's just a tier III?

Yeah..i would like to know that aswell :p

Martian Stacey
Jun 9th, 2006, 01:53 AM
Good to hear :) :yeah:

Will they use it on smaller courts as well, or just the main ones?

RJWCapriati
Jun 9th, 2006, 01:59 AM
hoorrayy

stevos
Jun 9th, 2006, 03:06 AM
Yay! Its coming to T. Dot! Hope someone challenges a lot there. I hope one day it goes to all slams, except the french. The French will always have the marks to check, its like a tradition. The next one to use it will definitely be australia though. They were first to follow with equal prize money.

Ryan
Jun 9th, 2006, 03:07 AM
The women's Cincy even isnt a part of the US Open Series I think. I cant wait to be at Montreal this year, Martina better play! :D

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 9th, 2006, 03:09 AM
The women's Cincy even isnt a part of the US Open Series I think. I cant wait to be at Montreal this year, Martina better play! :D

I think BOTH Martinas will be there ;) :bounce:

stevos
Jun 9th, 2006, 04:10 AM
I have to wait till next year to see the womens event in Toronto, but I got tickets to the mens final this year. Cant wait for the challenges.

bis2806
Jun 9th, 2006, 04:54 AM
The instant replay might not be accurate anyway, as we have seen Shotspot making errors due to lack of cameras installed at the courts. We can't always expect a good number of cameras used at every tournament.

Erika_Angel
Jun 9th, 2006, 05:12 AM
The instant replay might not be accurate anyway, as we have seen Shotspot making errors due to lack of cameras installed at the courts. We can't always expect a good number of cameras used at every tournament.

The technology that they use (I forget the exact name) has a setup which has the identical setup at every tournament that they use it at, it needs all the cameras set up, tested etc at every tournament.

bis2806
Jun 9th, 2006, 05:15 AM
The technology that they use (I forget the exact name) has a setup which has the identical setup at every tournament that they use it at, it needs all the cameras set up, tested etc at every tournament.

Well I was referring to the French Open where commentators mentioned there wasn't enough cameras on the court for Shotspot to pick up "errors".

Erika_Angel
Jun 9th, 2006, 05:23 AM
Well I was referring to the French Open where commentators mentioned there wasn't enough cameras on the court for Shotspot to pick up "errors".

It is a totally different system.

Maryamator
Jun 9th, 2006, 08:37 AM
its cool and all but i think players should use it as much as they want

bis2806
Jun 9th, 2006, 08:40 AM
It is a totally different system.

Oh okay. Well that shows that no call is actually accurate because as technology improves, you're going to get different responses anyway, so that's the problem.

LefandePatty
Jun 9th, 2006, 06:51 PM
TOO LATE !!! :mad:

if they had used this one last year Patty would have defeated Venus and would have reached Stanford final! :fiery:

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 9th, 2006, 06:52 PM
Loves it. :banana: