PDA

View Full Version : Is it me ... or has Kim changed since winning the US Open?

tennisIlove09
Jun 8th, 2006, 05:42 PM
She doesnt seem to have the same drive on court? She seems content being second best now.

AjdeNate!
Jun 8th, 2006, 05:46 PM
She seems to be more bothered now :shrug:
Like it's a chore. To me anyway, she hasn't seemed happy during RG'06.

Hingiswinsthis
Jun 8th, 2006, 05:47 PM
that coach of hers last year did wonders for her. It's almost as if after the US Open she has said, "ok, I got one so I don't ever have to face those annoying grand slam questions ever again."

She really did have a dream comeback last year and I sure do believe her when she says she's retiring after 2007.

Game-wise, she's lost her magic touch. What made her so unbeatable from March-September of last year was her retrieving skills (I just remembered those unbelievable squash shots vs. Venus last year). Now, she gone back to her old habits of playing mindless and error-prone tennis.

Yes, this is sad because Clijsters has a game to dominate, but she choses not to. but I always get a feeling that tennis is only secondary to Clijsters, this is why I like her....relationships, not tennis is the most important thing that she values.

KClijsters
Jun 8th, 2006, 05:51 PM
I think you're a little exaggerating.. it was just one match, and i don't think she played her best match today... Clay isn't her best surface as well... I don't say she can't play on clay, cause she can.. But she's not on her best on clay..

Davenselesport
She doesnt smile much anymore or seem to enjoy herself, nor does she look like she wants to fight much in a match.
She's not too interesting to watch anymore.

ezekiel
Yes it's sad to see such a talent taking it for granted. I wish she wasn't so emotional and she would realize what she is doing to herself and to the game. The game needs a player like her

tennisfan2480
Jun 8th, 2006, 05:52 PM
I agree. She seems too anxious to get points over with. She is becoming too aggressive on points she needs to be defensive on and she is not aggressive enough on points where she needs to be offensive.

I like Kim a lot (her game). But since the US Open, it's true ... she lacks the patience required and the defense skills on 'big' points.

She's been getting through lots of tournaments lately with an overpowering style (against Hingis), but up against people like Henin-Hardenne (who makes her fair share of errors, but uses offense and defense very, very well), she struggles. I hope she calms down a bit for Wimbledon.

VeeDaQueen
Jun 8th, 2006, 05:55 PM
i think she wants marriage. she is burnt out.

ezekiel
Jun 8th, 2006, 06:00 PM
so the question then becomes how and when does she make a comeback ? :bounce:

KClijsters
Jun 8th, 2006, 06:02 PM
Come on people, your reactions are really to exaggerated. She didn't played well this whole year on clay. And now a lot of people are telling that Kim could better stop.

But when Kim's playing great at Wimbledon, will than everyone telling that Kim don't have to retire at 2007?

dylan24
Jun 8th, 2006, 06:03 PM
She doesnt seem to have the same drive on court? She seems content being second best now.

this is old news. its been obvious since she showed up late at YEC in LA last year and then complained of jet lag after losing her first match.
she doesnt give a F about tennis since winning the us open

The Daviator
Jun 8th, 2006, 06:04 PM
that coach of hers last year did wonders for her. It's almost as if after the US Open she has said, "ok, I got one so I don't ever have to face those annoying grand slam questions ever again."

She really did have a dream comeback last year and I sure do believe her when she says she's retiring after 2007.

Game-wise, she's lost her magic touch. What made her so unbeatable from March-September of last year was her retrieving skills (I just remembered those unbelievable squash shots vs. Venus last year). Now, she gone back to her old habits of playing mindless and error-prone tennis.

Yes, this is sad because Clijsters has a game to dominate, but she choses not to. but I always get a feeling that tennis is only secondary to Clijsters, this is why I like her....relationships, not tennis is the most important thing that she values.

Except against Lindsay :hehehe: :lol:

A lot of people are saying that it's just one match, but it isn't, look at what happened in Miami, the old Kim would have annihilated Craybas 6-1 6-1, and if you go back further, she had a terrible YEC, where she usually is so good, something has indeed changed...

Having said that, I do think she'll have a good Wimbledon, and of course she'll pick up a few titles over the summer because she's amazing on hard-courts, whatever happens, Kim has had a great career :)

Jasmin
Jun 8th, 2006, 06:10 PM
I think she wants something new, burnt out, not quite 100% and satisfied with her slam win.

I think it's more that she can't seem to get completely healed from her injuries so in her mind she's probably half way out the door.

Carmen Mairena
Jun 8th, 2006, 06:10 PM
It's OK here! ;)

Hingiswinsthis
Jun 8th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Except against Lindsay :hehehe: :lol:

A lot of people are saying that it's just one match, but it isn't, look at what happened in Miami, the old Kim would have annihilated Craybas 6-1 6-1, and if you go back further, she had a terrible YEC, where she usually is so good, something has indeed changed...

Having said that, I do think she'll have a good Wimbledon, and of course she'll pick up a few titles over the summer because she's amazing on hard-courts, whatever happens, Kim has had a great career :)

Kim does have a great career. At 23 to have over 30 titles is an accomplishment. If they allowed Sabatini with only one major win to enter the coveted Hall of Fame, then Clijsters is surely in. Clijsters is only second to Hingis in hoarding a large amount of prize money and titles in such a young age.

but I sure do wish for Kim to defend her US Open title fiercely and not go out like she did today, the field there will be complete (save Capriati) now with Hingis building momentum with each tournament she plays, Serena Williams entering bootcamp (watch out for her this summer), and Venus playing tournaments again...not to mention Justine (the uncrowned #1), and Amelie trying to prove her 2006 is not a fluke.

Its hard not to like Kim Clijsters, but its just so darn hard to watch her bury those forehands into the bottom of the net after such a great point before. I'm pulling for her to win more before she retires.

xin_hui
Jun 8th, 2006, 06:26 PM

you know, before the USO, people were saying marc as kim's coach was stagnating, she should change coaches. so what gives? :shrug:

Hingiswinsthis
Jun 8th, 2006, 06:29 PM
you know, before the USO, people were saying marc as kim's coach was stagnating, she should change coaches. so what gives? :shrug:

Hmmm....never really heard that quite honestly. I always feel that that coach of hers calmed her down and with his little gadget that he brings out during her matches, he instructed her very well against different kinds of opponents. I feel that with Clijsters's stubborn personality and being without a coach, she is lacking discipline....but then again if I had an amazing 6-month stretch and culminating in a US Open win, I would be feeling "its my way or go away" too.

alfajeffster
Jun 8th, 2006, 06:32 PM
Yeah, I get the feeling from watching her on court that she hasn't changed her underwear since the last time Lleyton blew the panties off of her.

Gnaag
Jun 8th, 2006, 06:51 PM
She has changed. She's back to her old self again. The long stretches of bad errors and erratic play that haunted her matches prior to the last half of 2006 are back. That means now, just like before, she's struggling regularly against top players. And it's just as much about Clijsters beating herself as it is about another player beating her.

The reason for her regression could be anything, and it's probably a combination of factors. Perhaps the realization of her full potential was simply short-lived (not uncommon for many players). Perhaps she's simply content with winning one major and silencing the critics, and doesn't care what happens from here on out. Perhaps she's tired of tennis already. Perhaps it's simply a let-down after winning her first major and she'll pick it up again in time. Time will tell

fifiricci
Jun 8th, 2006, 06:53 PM
I think you're a little exaggerating.. it was just one match, and i don't think she played her best match today... .

Yeah, but come on, you have to admit that in CCL we've been using this excuse/platitude since January and we're still doing it. ;)

I'm not being personal against you, this is just a good example of the "allowances" we are making more and more often :p

fifiricci
Jun 8th, 2006, 06:55 PM

I think people like that were suggesting she should have a coach, but that it shouldn't maybe be Marc anymore ;)

TF Chipmunk
Jun 8th, 2006, 06:57 PM
Don't forget, Kim has said clay isn't her best surface, so you can't say her attitude has changed since winning the US Open basing it on the clay season. However, her PERSPECTIVE sure has changed. But we can't criticize her for that if she wants to move on in life.

Helen Lawson
Jun 8th, 2006, 07:03 PM
To be really honest, I think she's always been a girl happy with second place, only with last year's US Open, Pierce was playing so crappy, Kim was able to win the title with that mentality. She won't get a lot of breaks like that in her career, that may be the only one.

Melusine
Jun 8th, 2006, 07:04 PM
She looked perfectly motivated to me in her previous matches. This one wasn't her best one out there in Paris, and here we go again, getting tired of it.

Kim's best coach is her father. A coach who tells her she has to train 10 hours a day, who is analyzing every single shot she hits wouldn't work for her. Marc indicated that already : Kim knows what she wants and she doesn't listen to a coach.

It's her character and I don't think anyone is going to change a thing about that. There's more important things in life for her than tennis, and as long as she is injury-free, she enjoys the game, but that's it.

As for me, I have seen signs of her will to win again at this Roland Garros. Given that clay is not her favourite surface - something that is in her head and that no one will get out, I'm pretty confident she will still show us some nice things until february 2008. If she is fit.

KClijsters
Jun 8th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Yeah, but come on, you have to admit that in CCL we've been using this excuse/platitude since January and we're still doing it. ;)

I'm not being personal against you, this is just a good example of the "allowances" we are making more and more often :p

Yeah, ok. She's not playing so well this year, but I think that have a lot to do with her injuries. But this was certain the worst match from her this year. Kim's happy that she can train at grass now. So, maybe the results are getting better. She can play better on grass and certain on hardcourt :p

fifiricci
Jun 8th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Yeah, ok. She's not playing so well this year, but I think that have a lot to do with her injuries. But this was certain the worst match from her this year. Kim's happy that she can train at grass now. So, maybe the results are getting better. She can play better on grass and certain on hardcourt :p

I'll look forward to that ;)

TomTennis
Jun 8th, 2006, 07:37 PM
its kinda like she has wat she wanted. A Grand Slam.

But I do remember reading some where that she said she didnt like playing on Clay! Maybe when the hardcourt season rolls she will appear to be enjoying herself again.

She may very well be happy on ths inside and the same player, but she just isnt showing it for some reason.

saki
Jun 8th, 2006, 07:42 PM
To me, it's more that her U.S. hardcourt season was an exceptional period for her than that this is really unusual for her. I mean, she's now 1-4 (I think?) against Justine on clay, it's not suprising that she lost. Her previous runs to the final at RG have had an element of luck with the draw about them. Without changing her game/technique/strategy, her natural level at RG is about what she's shown us throughout the tournament - that she's very good but she's not an exceptional claycourter. When she's inspired, she can rack up the tournament wins on hardcourt and it remains to be seen if she'll do that again. But, right now, what Kim's showing us is pretty normal for her.

raquel
Jun 8th, 2006, 07:43 PM
I think Kim still cares other wise she would not be there. She's set to quit in 2007 anyway so it's not like she has any worry about quitting early. She would quit now if she didn't want to be out there. I know it's all hypothetical but she could have won 2 Slams in a row if it weren't for going over on her ankle against Amelie and the argument that she's happy with one Slam would totally ruled out. I wouldn't put too much stock in today's match as an indicator of Kim's mentality because clay's never been her best surface, and today showed her lack of patience on clay at times.

KClijsters
Jun 8th, 2006, 07:55 PM
I think Kim still cares other wise she would not be there. She's set to quit in 2007 anyway so it's not like she has any worry about quitting early. She would quit now if she didn't want to be out there. I know it's all hypothetical but she could have won 2 Slams in a row if it weren't for going over on her ankle against Amelie and the argument that she's happy with one Slam would totally ruled out. I wouldn't put too much stock in today's match as an indicator of Kim's mentality because clay's never been her best surface, and today showed her lack of patience on clay at times.

Yeah, you right. Justine was bringing a lot of ball back and Kim was really going for her shot. And it didn't work. On clay she always have to hit one more ball and than she want to give more power on th ball. And today it was the whole time to much. On hardcourt she can hit more winners and other people don't get so much ball back.

thrust
Jun 8th, 2006, 08:30 PM
I believe her father was NOT at last year^s USO. Kim seems to do much better when he is not around. He strikes me a harsh dominating man. I may be wrong, but it did not seem to me that Kim^s father and boy firend were sitting together. Kim needs to get married and away from Leo, IMO.

TheAllan
Jun 8th, 2006, 08:37 PM
The US hardcourt season will tell us where she is compared to last year. She did navigate herself through a rather difficult RG draw (Razzano, Medina-G, Hantuchova, Hingis) to get the semis. And did so with ease. Justine was always going to be a sturdy task.

blamoh
Jun 8th, 2006, 08:52 PM
The US hardcourt season will tell us where she is compared to last year. She did navigate herself through a rather difficult RG draw (Razzano, Medina-G, Hantuchova, Hingis) to get the semis. And did so with ease. Justine was always going to be a sturdy task.

What you guys expect from one time grandslam wonder. I think Kim's
game a tier I game. For grand slam, she has to be lucky to win one again.
Lucky I mean, not to get Henin, Serena if healthy and a heallthy Venus in
path. Mary or Myskina will do her the favour for another grandslam.

PLP
Jun 8th, 2006, 09:10 PM
I believe Kim's game is just fine. I don't think that Kim has the belief that she can beat Justine at a slam and on clay. If it had been anyone else today, her game would have stacked up much better IMO. Overall her level of play was getting better and better with every match but she just losses it mentally when she goes up against Justine at a slam and goes for too much too soon. Hopefully she won't have to face Justine at Wimbledon or te US Open>P

saki
Jun 8th, 2006, 09:16 PM
What you guys expect from one time grandslam wonder. I think Kim's
game a tier I game. For grand slam, she has to be lucky to win one again.
Lucky I mean, not to get Henin, Serena if healthy and a heallthy Venus in
path. Mary or Myskina will do her the favour for another grandslam.

I pretty much dislike Kim but her U.S. Open title was not a fluke or an easy draw - in fact, it was a much tougher draw than she'd had for any of her previous Slam finals.

But.. I do think she's always been a cut below the multiple slam winners of her generation. Not so much in natural ability but in terms of determination/motivation/smarts on court and off. I still think she's capable of another inspired run but losing to Justine at RG was not deviating from the norm for her.

Danči Dementia
Jun 8th, 2006, 09:19 PM
Yeah you are rigth last year she was like wow :eek: y ahora when I see her matches she just doesn't seem the same her shoot are not that good anymore(comparing lo last year) and her matches are not exiting anymore like she was last year.
And she hasn't win as much as she did last year.

jenny161185
Jun 8th, 2006, 09:26 PM
i think everyones oveactin - lets wait and see how the rest of the summer goes :)

ace4lleykim
Jun 8th, 2006, 09:33 PM
Ok, H2H of Kim and Justine is 6 to 4 on hard court. And 1-1 on grass for them. And for clay, Justine leads 5-1 including today's match.
I defintely agree that right after the USO, she was as good as she was pre-USO. I think the motivation has gone down a bit since she has already gotten what she always wanted.
I'm watching the match again, and I think she wasn't all that bad in the first set. I mean she went for a lot of balls, but unfortuntely most of them ended at the net or way out. I really got Justine from side to side in the first set. Lately so far during this year, I think Kim has played more offensively, she went for alot of balls.
I think the reason she didn't play so great today because:
1) Justine just gave Kim nothing
2) Byran defintely gave her early b-day present. :lol:

Farina Elia Fan
Jun 8th, 2006, 09:54 PM
I have to agree with most people here, Kim isnt the same since winning the US Open, its almost like the drive has gone and she is playing for fun now and doesnt really care as much. But maybe like with Myskina and Kuznetsova playnig through a rough patch after their slam, she can come back as well!

I think we underestimate how hard it is to come back from the pressure of winning a slam - not physically but mentally!

Dana Marcy
Jun 8th, 2006, 10:10 PM
She made the semi's, lost to the defending champion. That's the good news but the down side is that I think (as a fan of Kim's) that she's distracted by her concern for her health and her plans to retire. Kim :hug:

gentenaire
Jun 8th, 2006, 10:39 PM
I noticed it too and I'm not saying it because she lost today, because like others here have said, Justine is better on clay. Even in the matches she's winning, she doesn't seem to have that same drive. There are far fewer fist pumps than before, I seldom hear a "come on" the way she used to shout them. There have been times in previous matches when Kim would score a truly beautiful point after a long rally and all she'd do is show her fist quietly, no 'come on's, no big gesture to show she's pleased with the winner she's hit.
I think she does need someone, a coach, a trainer, someone to encourage her, to tell her to keep going.

I'm sure she still wants to win, she certainly looked disappointed after her loss today and if she was fed up with tennis, she would quit. So that's not it, the will is still there, I just think she needs someone to wake her up a little.

NaturalBlues
Jun 8th, 2006, 10:46 PM
Even if justine is obviously the better player on clay, and even if kim didn't play that well today, I agree with a lot of people here that Kim seems to have lost interest a bit.
It's an impression I get from watching her. She doesn't seem to enjoy herself at all.

bmwofoz
Jun 9th, 2006, 12:49 PM
I think Kym is a classic case of someone whom has many near misses at winning, only to finally win something then seem to lose it.

RAA
Jun 9th, 2006, 01:08 PM
well having watched that match last night, I agree with one thing - she certainly didn't look interested in winning this particular SF match. I can't comment on her desire at other tourneys but I think the result was a foregone conclusion for Kim.

azmad_88
Jun 9th, 2006, 01:15 PM
well...i wouldnt say thats a bad season for her

she made the SEMI's of AO and RG..

something Justine is the only one who did better in both tournaments...

but yeah,tactically she doesnt seem to be playing as creative as she was before

KClijsters
Jun 9th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Even if justine is obviously the better player on clay, and even if kim didn't play that well today, I agree with a lot of people here that Kim seems to have lost interest a bit.
It's an impression I get from watching her. She doesn't seem to enjoy herself at all.

When I watched the matches from Kim, I saw a Kim who really want to win. It wasn't going so well all the time. She was a few times a break down in the second set, but she fought back all the time and won that match. Maybe it looks like she doesn't enjoy herself on the court. But why would she still play tennis, if she doesn't enjoy it. I think she still love tennis very much. But maybe it's because she don't like to play on clay. Yeah, I don't now. In an interview after her match against Justine she said that she was happy that she could train on grass now. So, maybe we see a happy Kim, who enjoy herself on the court at Wimbledon. We have to wait :)

Uranus
Jun 9th, 2006, 03:08 PM
In 4 words: she needs a coach. :P

DevilishAttitude
Jun 9th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Not since the US, since the AO.

I think, when Kin got injured again, it really made her hate tennis. Ever since then she looks unmotivated and annoyed. I remember her match at Antwerp against Golovin where if Tatiana hadn't choked, she would have lost by hitting about 40 FH errors and throwing her racquet after every point.

Since she's lost to Craybas & Safina, 2 players she would have crushed in her hey-day. And after her tank yesterday the end is very near :o

Billy Moonshine
Jun 9th, 2006, 03:21 PM
She is burnt out and needs a slump to cool her down.
You can'r keep up that intensity unless u r a Graf, Nav, Evert or Seles type. Kim is great but not in their league.

Slumpsova
Jun 9th, 2006, 03:33 PM
hopefully Bryan dumps her very soon, then Kim might get back to her old self and motivation. i'm know i'm crazy but seriously, this is what i'm fucking hope for.

xin_hui
Jun 9th, 2006, 03:35 PM
hopefully Bryan dumps her very soon, then Kim might get back to her old self and motivation. i'm know i'm crazy but seriously, this is what i'm fucking hope for.

:rolleyes: you want her to give up her happiness for that few years of brilliance on court? let me confirm to you: you are crazy

well, maybe you are just a result oriented fan. so who cares about her life/happiness huh

anw, i dont even understand what it has got to do with brian. she won the USO while with.......................brian! :eek:

Slumpsova
Jun 9th, 2006, 04:22 PM
:rolleyes: you want her to give up her happiness for that few years of brilliance on court? let me confirm to you: you are crazy

well, maybe you are just a result oriented fan. so who cares about her life/happiness huh

anw, i dont even understand what it has got to do with brian. she won the USO while with.......................brian! :eek:

the more relationship goes, the more she talks about her life after marriage. that affects her motivation in one way or another, i believe.

BTW it's true, i can't deny fore being selfish on that comment so, whatever you think about me :shrug:

terjw
Jun 9th, 2006, 05:39 PM
Hmm - so Kim makes the semis and loses to the best player in the world on clay when Kim herself wasn't confident about how she was playing on clay - and now apparently according to the know-alls here she's not the player she was last year and she's lost her motivation.

Let me see - so what was she like last year then? Oh she'd lost in the 4th round of RG to Lindsay and according to no doubt the same know-alls then she was apparently a choker who would never ever win a singles GS in her life.

I don't think for a moment she has changed in her attitude from last year just because she has announced her retirement at the end of 2007. That will be then. Playing tennis is now. Howeverr I do think that this year she looks more vulnerable to an early loss in the early rounds - something which rarely happened to her in previous years. This is something I'm sure a coach would help. It could be just that she's possibly not making the best decisions in her preparation. But lack of motivation ??? :rolleyes: