PDA

View Full Version : Vaidisova will be best WTA player since Seles/Graf

jeanpierre
Jun 8th, 2006, 04:05 PM
I think so. Today she lost but Nicole is gonna be better player than all favs of wtaworld, like Hingis, Williams, Sharapova, Davenport, Pierce :lol: :devil:

Infiniti2001
Jun 8th, 2006, 04:06 PM
somebody is bored :shrug:

AyumiMorita
Jun 8th, 2006, 04:07 PM
uhh
people said that about sharapova
and how many slams has she won?

I think that Seles and Graf are two of the best ever

dreamgoddess099
Jun 8th, 2006, 04:09 PM
I think so. Today she lost but Nicole is gonna be better player than all favs of wtaworld, like Hingis, Williams, Davenport, Pierce :lol: :devil:
Maybe, but potential is nothing.

Munich
Jun 8th, 2006, 04:09 PM
uhh
people said that about sharapova
and how many slams has she won?

I think that Seles and Graf are two of the best ever
how old is she? :rolleyes:
how many slam Henin, Davenport, Serena, Venus, Clijsters...won at 19? :confused: :rolleyes:

Viktymise
Jun 8th, 2006, 04:11 PM
She hasnt won a slam yet and already ppl are saying she will be the best ever, ha just because you beat Vee doesntmean your ready for great things, just look what has happened to everyone who has upset vee, they have gone on a downhill spiral ever since

MisterMan
Jun 8th, 2006, 04:15 PM
They said the same thing about HANTUCHOVA in 2002.

oops.

No.1Hingis
Jun 8th, 2006, 04:15 PM
I dont think so.. jeje!! she is little late at time.. at 16 she had been winnig some GS's.. and be already in the final today.. Nop over the last you comment.. TIME.. she lost again Martina this year... so.. Mmmm.. maybe in future can be a great player.. but she needs miracles to reach ahead those girls you said..

But well.. we dont know.. for me is bit late.. or she might starting to win tittles RIGHT NOW.. I dont have anything ag Nicole..even I think she did play so well on RG but.. she needs so much more than that.. to be a really legend player.. Just my opinnion .. hope it not bother anybody..

Munich
Jun 8th, 2006, 04:17 PM
She hasnt won a slam yet and already ppl are saying she will be the best ever, ha just because you beat Vee doesntmean your ready for great things, just look what has happened to everyone who has upset vee, they have gone on a downhill spiral ever since
she hasn't won anything bigger than a tier 3 title.
more likely she's gonna become another Smashnova, Nagyova

selyoink
Jun 8th, 2006, 04:19 PM
This is a bold prediction about a player who still has never won a title of any consequence yet. Will she be a great player? Maybe. Will she be an all-time great player? Doubtful.

Direwolf
Jun 8th, 2006, 04:19 PM
I agree...with her patience and go for everything attitude...she could be one of the best...even better than Sharapova...
but firstly she needs to win a TIEBREAK..for crying out loud..
dont scream at those poor ball people
and taking a bathroom break when she loses a set...!!

RAA
Jun 8th, 2006, 04:25 PM
you are joking, right?

LoveFifteen
Jun 8th, 2006, 04:27 PM
If Vaidisova becomes an all-time great, then I fear for the future of women's tennis! :scared:

SAEKeithSerena
Jun 8th, 2006, 04:29 PM
maria sharapova won wimbledon earlier than vaidisova, over a player who had previously won 2. serena williams is the most decorated GS winner on tour. venus williams won back-to back wimbledon and US Opens for 2 years in a row and went on a rampage at the 1997 US Open. If you think Nicole Vaidisova is the best talent over these ladies, then you belong in a mental institution.

tennisfreak15150
Jun 8th, 2006, 04:30 PM
pffffffff :rolleyes:

Diam's
Jun 8th, 2006, 04:32 PM
C'est votre dernier mot, Jean-Pierre ? :lol:

TomTennis
Jun 8th, 2006, 04:32 PM
:rolleyes:

Yeh she is someone for the future, but geez dont get ahead of ur self.

.ivy.
Jun 8th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Power does not equal an all-time great. I'd want to see some real results (i.e. winning a tier I tournament) to start touting her as a someone comparable to Steffi or Monica.

LoveFifteen
Jun 8th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but has she even won a Tier II yet? If not, can we please stop with all the threads proclaiming Vaidisova as the next Steffi Graf?

SAEKeithSerena
Jun 8th, 2006, 04:42 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but has this bitch even won a Tier II yet? If not, can we please stop with all the threads proclaiming Vaidisova as the next Steffi Graf?

well fucking said.:wavey:

furrykitten
Jun 8th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Nicole has tons of potential

alfonsojose
Jun 8th, 2006, 04:46 PM
maybe like Pierce ... maybe

bailey
Jun 8th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Melanie Molitor once gave a great interview when there was quite a hype about Alexandra Stevenson and Myriam Casanova. She said that they both had huge strokes and the potential to become very good players but - she said - the question is, can you bring those strokes once a year or on a daily basis?

Let's see what happens in the future with Vaidisova... (as we all know what happened to Stevensons and Casanovas careers (I'm not comparing them with Vaidisova but Molitor was just what came to my mind when I read this thread))

War Photographer
Jun 8th, 2006, 05:05 PM
:o One word: Consistency :help:

Jasmin
Jun 8th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Funny thread.

MinnyGophers
Jun 8th, 2006, 05:54 PM
It is easy to say that whoever is gonne be the greatest ever. And then one accident/injury/stabbing can ruin it.
She can win 4 slams within the next two years, but you'll never be able to say she was the greatest ever until her career ends.

RAA
Jun 8th, 2006, 05:59 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but has she even won a Tier II yet? If not, can we please stop with all the threads proclaiming Vaidisova as the next Steffi Graf?

:lol: :tape:

quite funny

alas, michelle wie hasn't won a women's event yet either (lets not even talk about her trying to qualify for the men's open) and she is being crowned the next annika.

all it takes is a ponytail and a ball well struck.. apparently..
:p

Carmen Mairena
Jun 8th, 2006, 06:21 PM
Nobody will ever match the greatness of Monika/Steffi and, looking a bit ago, Martina N., Chris, Margaret, Billie-Jean, Suzanne...

There's much bigger depth season by season, and it's tough to be a contender to the "biggest player since...".

Justine can win her 6th GS on Saturday, and might well surpass Monika in that statistic, but apart from her and Venus and Serena, I can't see much quality/consistency over there...

Infiniti2001
Jun 8th, 2006, 06:27 PM
Nobody will ever match the greatness of Monika/Steffi and, looking a bit ago, Martina N., Chris, Margaret, Billie-Jean, Suzanne...

There's much bigger depth season by season, and it's tough to be a contender to the "biggest player since...".

Justine can win her 6th GS on Saturday, and might well surpass Monika in that statistic, but apart from her and Venus and Serena, I can't see much quality/consistency over there...

Justine has 2 FOs+ 1 US Open + 1 AOwhich = 4 slams.Since when does 4+1=6 ? :shrug?

wave
Jun 8th, 2006, 06:29 PM
Monica has 9 slams...

alfajeffster
Jun 8th, 2006, 06:30 PM
...just look what has happened to everyone who has upset vee, they have gone on a downhill spiral ever since

Look out for Voodoo Vee...:eek:

RAA
Jun 8th, 2006, 06:30 PM
Monica has 9 slams...

I think the poster said "MIGHT" well surpass her in that statistic.. not that she will on sunday..

just saying..not that I agree that justine will .. ever be the cailber of player that seles was..

Kart
Jun 8th, 2006, 06:36 PM
Monica has 9 slams...

:hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

Re: this thread, wasn't Alexandra Stevenson going to be the best player since Graf/Seles at one time ?

FedExpress
Jun 8th, 2006, 06:48 PM
No one can reach Graf :p

Jasmin
Jun 8th, 2006, 06:57 PM
Look out for Voodoo Vee...:eek:

:lol: yeah besides that curse now Nicole is on the radar.

mboyle
Jun 8th, 2006, 07:19 PM
Nope you are wrong. If Nicole had served out that 5-4 game, then maybe I'd believe it. But she won't. Sharapova had one opportunity to serve out Wimbledon 04. She didn't look nervous. She served big, drove her forehand at 90MPH into the corner, and watched as Serena could do nothing with it. Nicole missed 3 or 4 of her 5 first serves at 5-4 in the semis (not the finals,) made three unforced errors and let Svetlana dictate. She has nerves at 17. Imagine what her nerves will be like at 20.

I love Nicole and think she will have a good career, but I have always said that Maria's mental game is what will make her stand out. That might have changed, sadly, but I still think Maria will be the most successful player born after Justine HH.

Carmen Mairena
Jun 8th, 2006, 08:08 PM
Justine has 2 FOs+ 1 US Open + 1 AOwhich = 4 slams.Since when does 4+1=6 ? :shrug?

I'm sorry, I wasn't paying too much attention. Thanks for correcting me!

TonyP
Jun 8th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Actually, I was going to bring up Hantuchova, too. She beat both Henin-Hardenne and Hingis at Indian Wells in 2002 and people talked about her as if she were the greatest invention since sliced broad, and she has never won another tournament.

Not saying Nicole will suffer that fate. I'm just saying, there are no sure things and people predicted Dementieva would dominate, and Sprem would spring eternal. And remember Jelena Dokic? How about Mirjana Lucic, who I think won the first two WTA tournaments she entered. Then there was that STevenson girl.

The number of players who win multiple grand slams is a very small number and you are going to have to be very, very good to out excell Hingis or the Williams sisters.
While I still think she will win more slams, Sharapova has not yet won a second slam, much less multiples or spent any real time at number one.

IN fact, as good as she is, it is looking less likely these days that Kim will win a second slam, assuming she does quit at the end of 2007. She only had seven chances left and she just blew what might be her best opportunity today.

jeanpierre
Jun 8th, 2006, 09:15 PM
They said the same thing about HANTUCHOVA in 2001.

oops.

everbody who know tennis know also in 2001 that Hantuchova's game is shit and she won't do nothing big. Only some people in media wanted to speak this. So for Vaidisova is total different situation.

furrykitten
Jun 8th, 2006, 09:25 PM
everbody who know tennis know also in 2001 that Hantuchova's game is shit and she won't do nothing big. Only some people in media wanted to speak this. So for Vaidisova is total different situation.

Hantuchova's game is not shit :rolleyes:

anlavalle
Jun 8th, 2006, 09:38 PM
If Vaidisova becomes an all-time great, then I fear for the future of women's tennis! :scared:
me too :tape: :rolleyes:

Morrissey
Jun 8th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Not true, when Hantuchova won Indian Wells in 2002 the media had a heart attack and then when she reached the quaters of wimbledon and US Open in 2002 the media were saying she was the next big thing. Five years later we see she's still a mental lightweight and not a contender still a pretender. She just doesn't have the mental belief she can beat the top players. She's been stuck ranked between 14 to 20. So she's good but just like Schiavone something is separating her from getting to the top and that's her fitness and her mind.

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 8th, 2006, 10:04 PM
:spit:

WF4EVER
Jun 8th, 2006, 10:55 PM
I agree...with her patience and go for everything attitude...she could be one of the best...even better than Sharapova...

Even better than Sharapova? Wow!

If that's your measuring stick for one of the best (even Sharapova:lol: ) then Nicole should be one of the greatest, not just one of the best.

Derek.
Jun 8th, 2006, 11:05 PM
She can become a very good players. But you can't compare her with Seles or Graf until she wins multiple slams. Don't put anymore pressure on Nicole than what she already has. :o

Not true, when Hantuchova won Indian Wells in 2002 the media had a heart attack and then when she reached the quaters of wimbledon and US Open in 2002 the media were saying she was the next big thing. Five years later we see she's still a mental lightweight and not a contender still a pretender. She just doesn't have the mental belief she can beat the top players. She's been stuck ranked between 14 to 20. So she's good but just like Schiavone something is separating her from getting to the top and that's her fitness and her mind.

I agree with most of this, but the part about Danka and Franny not being fit is :bs:. Their problems are in their head, not fitness.

MisterMan
Jun 9th, 2006, 12:00 PM
everbody who know tennis know also in 2001 that Hantuchova's game is shit and she won't do nothing big. Only some people in media wanted to speak this.

Chris Evert announced the IW finals and she's one of them who said it. Over and over again. I think her exact words when Dani was lifting the trophy was "I believe we are witnessing the future of womens tennis" :lol:

LDVTennis
Jun 9th, 2006, 12:48 PM
Chris Evert announced the IW finals and she's one of them who said it. Over and over again. I think her exact words when Dani was lifting the trophy was "I believe we are witnessing the future of womens tennis" :lol:

Chris never worked for ESPN Sports.

The tournament used to be known as the Evert Cup. But, when Newsweek became the title sponsor, the Evert name was dropped.

Pacific Life took over as title sponser in 1999 or 2000. And, in the last year or so, they and the tournament have tried to renew the relationship with Chris. I think she presented this years trophy.

That is the history of Chris' affiliation with the tournament. To the best of my recollection, she never did any television commentary for ESPN, which has covered IW since at least '96.

MisterMan
Jun 9th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Chris never worked for ESPN Sports.

I did not say she did.
It was 4 years ago so my memory may be foggy, but Chris did play by play for that match. Maybe not the entire match, but definately some. And she did say what I quoted.

pav
Jun 9th, 2006, 06:59 PM
Apart from the debate about Nicole,I think we can't hold up some of these past dominators such as Graf- seles as the depth was not there then and it was more a case of rivalry between a couple of players far ahead of the pack,so it is hard to compare eras.

Steffica Greles
Jun 9th, 2006, 07:47 PM
I agree that, providing she avoids serious injuries, she's one of the phenomenons of the next decade. I think she will be better than Sharapova in the long term because she has a more fluid serve, better court coverage and a more athletic figure. On top of that, she has a more brutal forehand and softer hands on her racket, which you see by way of drop shots and sliced backhands.

There's definitely more to come from her. In fact, yesterday's loss may help her. Too much too soon does not provide incentive to keep on improving.