PDA

View Full Version : Vaidisova plays so brainless

Xian
Jun 8th, 2006, 03:10 PM
That is so poor how she plays the short balls , no tactic :o

Reuchlin
Jun 8th, 2006, 03:11 PM
ya, that easy down the line could have= a match point.

Dirty Sanchez
Jun 8th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Bollocks. You don't make the Roland Garros semi-finals, beating 2 Grand Slam winners along the way, by playing brainless tennis. She's 17 in her first ever Grand Slam semi-final, her nerves are obviously gonna be having an effect on certain points.

I only hope she can keep it together for this set, it's hers to win or lose. C'MON NICOLE!!!!! :yeah:

FrenchY52
Jun 8th, 2006, 03:15 PM
She is brainless

sfselesfan
Jun 8th, 2006, 03:17 PM
I think she comes off as mean...but not brainless. I don't think power tennis players are necessarily brainless. I think there is a lot of thought that has to go into lining up shots and timing in order to get that much pace on the ball.

SF

hdfb
Jun 8th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Well, however she plays, it seems she's reached a round 124 other players could not!

Dan23
Jun 8th, 2006, 03:21 PM
She is brainlessno more so than you

Nicole deserves some slack in her 1st time in this situation

pimpie
Jun 8th, 2006, 03:23 PM
pretty impressive for a 17 year old to reach a semi at a grand slam I must say

she's just not realy good at playing tiebreaks, she's lost all of them this year at RG

Infiniti2001
Jun 8th, 2006, 03:24 PM
I wouldn't say she is brainless, but when her shots are not working it sure looks like it :eek: Meanwhile Sveta is staying calm unlike Amelie and Vee :shrug:

Xian
Jun 8th, 2006, 03:24 PM
shouldnt be meant mean , and I like her, but what she plays now is just poor

cellophane
Jun 8th, 2006, 03:26 PM
She is just nervous...

Billabong
Jun 8th, 2006, 03:29 PM
But now she totally lost confidence... 0-3, point for 0-4:sad:

vesanto
Jun 8th, 2006, 03:40 PM
I saw the end of the 1st set and the 1st half of the second and she was playing very good. Obviously she has that kind of tennis that if it starts going bad, it never stops because she plays very risky. But I was impressed by her, I must say. Now she seems to have lost all her confidence. Even if she loses, I think she must be proud!

War Photographer
Jun 8th, 2006, 03:41 PM
Nicole :hug:

cellophane
Jun 8th, 2006, 03:41 PM
Nicole is the queen of dropshots. :lol:

Cybelle Darkholme
Jun 8th, 2006, 03:42 PM
What gets me is that she has had a few big wins and has made the semis but what else has she done?

What tournaments has she won?
What slams does she own?

The hype is premature and silly and will only serve to bring her down. Who knows what can happen? She can just as easily be another Dokic and not Sharapova.

I noticed that a lot of people took Dokic off their signatures. LoL.

War Photographer
Jun 8th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Kuznetsova :rocker2:

Sharapova's_Boy
Jun 8th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Pff, that third set was called Nikki not giving a shit. :p

harloo
Jun 8th, 2006, 03:48 PM
I wouldn't say she is brainless, but when her shots are not working it sure looks like it :eek: Meanwhile Sveta is staying calm unlike Amelie and Vee :shrug:

Yep, Sveta was smart to use her experience at this level. She didn't panic and waited for Nicole to get nervous. I'm suprised Venus and Amelie did not calm down and let Vadisova self destruct?:confused:

Infiniti2001
Jun 8th, 2006, 03:49 PM
What gets me is that she has had a few big wins and has made the semis but what else has she done?

What slams does she own?

The hype is premature and silly and will only serve to bring her down. Who knows what can happen? She can just as easily be another Dokic and not Sharapova.

Well Hype often has little to do with reality. It's all about bandwagoning :shrug:

RAA
Jun 8th, 2006, 04:08 PM
all the big hitters get called brainless for some reason. as if the two go hand in hand..
and even if it isn't the most nuanced of approaches, it took her to a SF in a slam..

the wta aint the MENSA society any way..

its about getting the win, not about whether you are brainiac about it.

Klaudia
Jun 8th, 2006, 04:10 PM
She will probably get better! That is very impressive for her age to be where she is at. But I like players that have tactics in a match like Hingis or some others. Where they have every shot in the book under their belt. Hingis is a craftsman lady kind a like Federer! Vaidisova like Sharapova hits all with power and sometimes it's like if it goes in good and if doesn't, well too bad. They need to know when it's time not to go too much for their shots but be more patient. If Hingis improves on her power shots, she will get even better. Oh well, it's still a wonderful accomplishment from Vaidisova. She has so many tournaments infront of her and I am sure it won't take long for her to be top 10.

ys
Jun 8th, 2006, 04:13 PM
"brainless"? I would call that "fearless"..

Maryamator
Jun 8th, 2006, 04:33 PM
if she was brainless she wouldnt have reached the second week of a grand slam and umm she was nervous thinking im going to be in the final or something..i saw some wise decisions in her matches;) i dont call her brain lesss but shes just another hard hitter..

"Topaz"
Jun 8th, 2006, 04:37 PM
Infiniti, Cybelle, I tend to disagree. Vaidisova is no hype. She's the real deal. She plays a fine power-tennis, she can mix it up when she wants to and she has the physique for it. She seems to be a symbiosis of both Graff and Seles, plus all the other power players thereafter: mainly Venus and Sharapova.

In her, I see:
- good serve with sound technique, accuracy and power
- a superb forehand
- a backhand that can be improved but almost there
- the will to take it to the opponent, the hallmark of power tennis.

Unfortunately she needs:
- greater mental strength
- calm under pressure
- more stamina to keep on executing the fine points of power tennis even when tired.

Brainless, that's horseshit. This is where most unsophisticated critics go when dealing with power players. Remember the cliché about Hingis and Venus: brain versus power. In those crucial shots where Vaidisova could have won the match, you could say at first glance her brain somewhat faltered. Actually, it was nerves, the same type of blockage you may experience when you go to the podium to make a speech with no written paper, or when you go off your written paper and try to come back.

Give her some time (say two more tourneys), and she'll be there: another 17-year-old storming the tour.

Jasmin
Jun 8th, 2006, 04:38 PM

What slams does she own?

I do wish they give it time. I'm sure they expected Maria to be winning slam after slam but once you kick some top seed butt at a slam you will find yourself on everyone's radar. Then they learn your game and take it up a notch. It happened to Maria and I think the same will happen to Nicole.

Jakeev
Jun 8th, 2006, 05:07 PM
If Nicole were brainless she would be planted in a flower garden. Typical for Xian to go overboard with his choice of verbs.

But the reality is, she is not as mentally tough as Maria Sharapova, but she has tons of times to improve that element of her game.

ViennaCalling
Jun 8th, 2006, 05:15 PM
She is brainless

:rolleyes: Be silent please! :mad:

Melly Flew Us
Jun 8th, 2006, 05:28 PM
she's not brainless. she's the one who played drop shots; and didn't you see her slice backhands?

last autumn her volley preparation made her look like e.t.; today her volleys were great. except that one cross-court at 5-5 in the tie-break which lost her the match.

dreamgoddess099
Jun 8th, 2006, 05:32 PM
I wouldn't say she's brainless. She came very close to doing something neither Hingis or Maria did at 17, and that's beat 3 grandslam champions back to back in a single grandslam. Only 17 year old Serena's done it when she beat 3 to win her first slam. *correction* Serena beat 4.

RenaSlam.
Jun 8th, 2006, 05:38 PM

You're a Sharapova fan... :lol:

Nicole has more touch/feel than Maria, that's for sure. So shut up. :wavey:

cellophane
Jun 8th, 2006, 05:39 PM
If Nicole was brainless, then what was Kim today? :help:

furrykitten
Jun 8th, 2006, 05:41 PM
She is brainless

:rolleyes: Is she a bit to similair in some ways to Maria for your liking or is the fact she's already far better than Golovin? :lol:

Vaidisova deserves so much credit for this 2 weeks performance, its been a magical week for her. :)

ys
Jun 8th, 2006, 06:03 PM
If Nicole was brainless, then what was Kim today? :help:

Gutless.

Kart
Jun 8th, 2006, 06:08 PM
"brainless"? I would call that "fearless"..

I agree.

Sveta was lucky today in that Nicole finally showed some signs of fragility - something she didn't give a glimpse of against Venus or Amelie (and they were waiting for it too long IMHO.)

Derek.
Jun 8th, 2006, 06:09 PM
She is brainless

We all know you hate her because she's better than Golovin, just like you hate Ivanovic. :lol: With that said....

All haters exit here....

Don't let the door hit you on the way out. :wavey:

SharapovaFan16
Jun 8th, 2006, 06:17 PM
she isn't brainless, but let's not give her too much credit... it is the French Open I think the lowest of the 4 majors and the most likely to have lower players go deep... until she goes deep in Australia, US Open, or Wimbledon then we can talk... but she isn't brainless

Xian
Jun 8th, 2006, 06:24 PM

Im a Vaidisova fan too, I was just shocked how she acted in certain situations

bellascarlett
Jun 8th, 2006, 06:24 PM

I see so much more names on the poster's signature (with equal billing I might add) and yet all you see is Sharapova...what a surprise... :o

squash
Jun 8th, 2006, 07:29 PM
she played very well today, leave her alone.

ptkten
Jun 8th, 2006, 07:47 PM
I was actually surprised at how smart she played at the beginning of the match. She had a lot of variety and was going for the right shots. She just got tight at the end of the 2nd set and then she fell apart.

FrenchY52
Jun 8th, 2006, 07:50 PM
We all know you hate her because she's better than Golovin, just like you hate Ivanovic. :lol: With that said....

All haters exit here....

Don't let the door hit you on the way out. :wavey:

Who said you i hate Ivanovic ? i like her .. I just don't like craps and bitches .

TF Chipmunk
Jun 8th, 2006, 08:00 PM
She's not brainless...it's just lack of experience. Not to mention, when someone's nervous like that, you can't expect her to be able to make every single play correctly in her first career slam semifinal.

FrenchY52
Jun 8th, 2006, 08:10 PM
It's very easy to cheer for players and to like them just when they start winning ...
Pff

Harju.
Jun 8th, 2006, 08:19 PM
I was actually surprised at how smart she played at the beginning of the match. She had a lot of variety and was going for the right shots. She just got tight at the end of the 2nd set and then she fell apart.
Agreed. I don't think she's brainless either. You should have seen those dropshots that she made. She is not just bashing the balls. She's slicing, dropshoting, volleying and coming to the net.

Dana Marcy
Jun 8th, 2006, 11:13 PM

Don't worry. She's still learning. It's easy for us to be coaches from the arm chair. :p

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 8th, 2006, 11:29 PM
:retard: She plays short balls brainless? Um, ok. She's no more brainless than any of the other big hitters on tour. She's also really young.

fammmmedspin
Jun 8th, 2006, 11:42 PM
She played smart and varied rather than dumb. She just lost it for the one game that mattered most and didn't recover. as long as she moves on and doesn't lose confidence she is going to do fine. She exposed the weakness of the current top 15 pretty convincingly this tournament.

mike/topgun
Jun 8th, 2006, 11:52 PM
calling this girl brainless is somewhat brainless

Danči Dementia
Jun 8th, 2006, 11:55 PM
Bollocks. You don't make the Roland Garros semi-finals, beating 2 Grand Slam winners along the way, by playing brainless tennis. She's 17 in her first ever Grand Slam semi-final, her nerves are obviously gonna be having an effect on certain points.
:yeah:

:worship: :worship: and she is only 17 she will continue to grow (I hope that her body stays like is now otherwise is going to be :eek: ) she needs to improve and she will she has a long long long way to go and tu mature and then watch out. :)

Martian KC
Jun 9th, 2006, 01:11 AM
I am still completely unimpressed by her game, no matter what anyone says. She lacks technique, variety, and footwork in her game. It's a joke she even got to the semis, really with that game of hers on clay. She's like a poor woman's version of Sharapova.

pav
Jun 9th, 2006, 02:05 AM
This girl is a hell of a lot better than I thought ,she seems to have copped a lot of criticizm over the last year or so,but watching her she is very impressive,mixes up her shots,kept her head thru Momo and Venus and one and five six sets of Sveta. Up to that point sveta was almost a spectator.A touch more maturity and experience and good health one dosen't have to be bloody Nostradamus(sic?) to predict a world #one in the near future. I have aready written twice before on this board that if I had to design a tennis player she would turn out a lot like her

pav
Jun 9th, 2006, 02:08 AM
[QUOTE=pav]This girl is a hell of a lot better than I thought ,she seems to have copped a lot of criticizm over the last year or so,but watching her she is very impressive,mixes up her shots,kept her head thru Momo and Venus and one and five six sets of Sveta. Up to that point sveta was almost a spectator.A touch more maturity and experience and good health one dosen't have to be bloody Nostradamus(sic?) to predict a world #one in the near future. I have aready written twice before on this board that if I had to design a tennis player she would turn out a lot like her. If she is brainless,I must be damn retarded(Uh oh!)

Corswandt
Jun 9th, 2006, 02:11 AM
I am still completely unimpressed by her game, no matter what anyone says. She lacks technique, variety, and footwork in her game. It's a joke she even got to the semis, really with that game of hers on clay. She's like a poor woman's version of Sharapova.

She has about ten times more shot variety than Masha. She has the big serve and huge groundstrokes, but other shots as well. On that regard, she seemed to improve with each match.

robert6061
Jun 9th, 2006, 02:23 AM
It is extremely unfair to describe Nicole's performance as brainless. She is a precocious talent and backed up her win against Mauresmo with a win two days later against Venus. There are very few players in the draw who could have accomplished that feat. She has only just turned 17 and to serve for the match against a former US Open champion speaks volumes. She lost to a highly experienced player in Svetlana who is also an outstanding athlete. I'm not Vaidisova's biggest fan by any means and she has also given me the impression when I have seen her in tournaments that she has a mean streak. However, brainless....certainly not, future winner of grand slam tournaments....I think so!

spencercarlos
Jun 9th, 2006, 03:57 AM
Despite all of the she looked way better than Venus the other day, she did not made 70 errors today.
And Amelie did not lose calm, she was just simply overpowered, and you know Venus´s game is not about staying calm and putting balls consistently in, she goes for.

Svetlana was very smart, she played a Hingis like game and in the last two sets, great consistency and she hit 19 winners to 6 errors and made only 1 error in the third set.

Nicole really dissapeared at the start of the third set, but she kept going for her shots, she made 50 some winnners to 40 some errors, she played well, despite the loss, of course she should have won, the nerves caught on her.

Dawn Marie
Jun 9th, 2006, 04:01 AM
If Nicole were brainless she would be planted in a flower garden. Typical for Xian to go overboard with his choice of verbs.

But the reality is, she is not as mentally tough as Maria Sharapova, but she has tons of times to improve that element of her game.

Hmm not so sure about the mentally tough part. I think Nicole at 17 beat some tough players. Sharapova won Wimby by beating Sugiyama and Serena. Nicole had a tougher road to win a major. Nicole beat Venus and Momo on CLAY and damn near beat Sveta. I wouldn't
call her brainless though. Just another power babe that doesn't move as nearly as fast as Venus or Serena did in their heyday. Or still do. She needs improvement. I think her downfall is LACK OF FOCUS. She is bratty out on the court. She hasn't learned yet how to brush it off and PLAY THE NEXT POINT!

Asif_Nawaz
Jun 9th, 2006, 04:07 AM
she isn't brainless, but let's not give her too much credit... it is the French Open I think the lowest of the 4 majors and the most likely to have lower players go deep... until she goes deep in Australia, US Open, or Wimbledon then we can talk... but she isn't brainless

Haha..Just because Maria hasn't reached the Semi's,You think its the lowest slam.Haha,Wimbledon and FO are the Biggest Slams!! :p :p :lol: :lol:

Jakeev
Jun 9th, 2006, 05:14 AM
Hmm not so sure about the mentally tough part. I think Nicole at 17 beat some tough players. Sharapova won Wimby by beating Sugiyama and Serena. Nicole had a tougher road to win a major. Nicole beat Venus and Momo on CLAY and damn near beat Sveta. I wouldn't
call her brainless though. Just another power babe that doesn't move as nearly as fast as Venus or Serena did in their heyday. Or still do. She needs improvement. I think her downfall is LACK OF FOCUS. She is bratty out on the court. She hasn't learned yet how to brush it off and PLAY THE NEXT POINT!

But a lack of focus often means not being very mentally tough. Nicole has lost many matches this year that she probably should have won.

Yeah this was her breakthrough event against top players but now it's time for her to continue on and begin winning some bigger titles.

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jun 9th, 2006, 05:28 AM
She is brainless

So, what's Amelie's and Venus' losses were? Uber brainless? :wavey:

Porcupine
Jun 9th, 2006, 05:33 AM
Just 'cause how she played the short balls doesn't mean she's brainless.

Derek.
Jun 9th, 2006, 05:39 AM

Technique? She has great technique, especially on her serve and her forehand. :worship:

Variety? She displayed some amazing drop shots throughout the tournament, some wicked slices, and some great hands at net. :cool:

Footwork? She moves pretty well for her height. She's still young and has a lot of time to improve that aspect.

She got to the semis because she was serving great, and attacking her opponents. It's not a joke when you beat Amelie and Venus back to back.

:smash:

Sharapova's_Boy
Jun 9th, 2006, 05:47 AM
Technique? She has great technique, especially on her serve and her forehand. :worship:

Variety? She displayed some amazing drop shots throughout the tournament, some wicked slices, and some great hands at net. :cool:

Footwork? She moves pretty well for her height. She's still young and has a lot of time to improve that aspect.

She got to the semis because she was serving great, and attacking her opponents. It's not a joke when you beat Amelie and Venus back to back.

:smash:

:worship:

Dan23
Jun 9th, 2006, 05:56 AM
She has about ten times more shot variety than Masha. She has the big serve and huge groundstrokes, but other shots as well.
thats far from the case :o

spudrsca
Jun 9th, 2006, 05:56 AM

I disagree. She has more potential than Sharapova. She is far better than Sharapova in slices and volleys. She has a better serve too.
For me, the only thing that Sharapova does better, it's her backhand.

Derek.
Jun 9th, 2006, 06:00 AM

:bs:

Dan23
Jun 9th, 2006, 06:02 AM
:bs:
:lol:
cmon you can at least say something if you want to argue the point :p

PLP
Jun 9th, 2006, 06:03 AM
Actually, since I first saw her play last year she has improved immensly in every aspect of her game. I don't think that would happen if she played brainlessly. Yes, her game is about power but I love the way she sets up her shots and I think she uses the whole court. There were several times when she would serve out wide and go up the opposite line and it kept reminding me of a play right out of the Hingis book, in any case I would not at all call her game brainless. She may make some mistakes but I think she will keep learning from them>P

Derek.
Jun 9th, 2006, 06:06 AM
:lol:
cmon you can at least say something if you want to argue the point :p

There's no point in arguing when I know I'm right. :o

Dan23
Jun 9th, 2006, 06:09 AM
There's no point in arguing when I know I'm right. :o
...or after our arguement on msn you now know you dont need to waste your time :o :lol:

Derek.
Jun 9th, 2006, 06:12 AM
...or after our arguement on msn you now know you dont need to waste your time :o :lol:

:rolleyes:

Drake1980
Jun 9th, 2006, 07:31 AM
:eek: :tape:

pigam
Jun 9th, 2006, 07:34 AM
I see so much more names on the poster's signature (with equal billing I might add) and yet all you see is Sharapova...what a surprise... :o
Recently, a lot of people also added the name of Kuznetsova and Safina to their sigs... becaus they're really good.

M$forehand
Jun 9th, 2006, 09:36 AM
You must be a very good tennis player to classify Nicole's short balls as brainless.
I wonder how you do your drop shots.

esquímaux
Jun 9th, 2006, 12:08 PM
And she managed to take out Venus??? ... :sad:

!<blocparty>!
Jun 9th, 2006, 12:20 PM
She's not brainless whatsoever. In fact, she has a LOT more variety than a certain other tall blonde player that sounds American. :tape:

Give her a couple of years to work on some aspects of her game and she'll have more variety than 90% of the tours bimbo's. She can dropshot and knows exactly what to do and where to stand after hitting certain shots. Her volleys look very solid and she's not afraid to come in when she has to.

Corswandt
Jun 9th, 2006, 02:33 PM

I like Masha, but she can go for an entire match without hitting anything else but the same hard, flat, deep groundstrokes. She can't volley to save her life, uses dropshots only out of desperation, and almost never uses slice.

But Masha wouldn't have choked the win away like Nicole did. Different strengths, different weaknesses.

jj74
Jun 9th, 2006, 02:56 PM
Well, i'm not a fan, i think she has a lot of virtues but she has to improve her volleys and her movement. But this only the beggining, she break the mental border to defeat a top player in a Grand Slam so expect to do it more times in a near future. And i also think Vaidisova is only the first of a new generation of talented young players who will be fighting for the great tittles in a short time

bellascarlett
Jun 9th, 2006, 02:58 PM
I like Masha, but she can go for an entire match without hitting anything else but the same hard, flat, deep groundstrokes. She can't volley to save her life, uses dropshots only out of desperation, and almost never uses slice.

Not true. She's used dropshots even when leading and believe or not, they turned out good and she won the points lol. She used one in the Safina match for example when she was very much ahead in the third set. She sucks at volleying (great with the swing volleys though) I must admit but she has improved a bit since last year. Now she tries not to look afraid when she has to follow up with another volley. I've also notice her hit slices more this year.

SharapovaFan16
Jun 9th, 2006, 03:07 PM
She is good maybe even great. I watched her match with Kuz last night and I'm going to be honest I never thought she was in control of that match. The thing that seperated her and Maria is the fact that her mental toughness is SO WEAK. She has more variety than Maria and is faster yea I will admit that. But I look at Maria's toughness and Vaidisova's and all I see from Nicole is a brat. I counted numerous times where Kuz hit a nice winner and Vaidosova reacted as if Kuz wasn't suppost to hit a shot like that, and seemed to be like wow she's lucky what bullshit. I would like to see Maria and Vaidisova meet at Wimbledon. A lot of hard hit balls, but I think Maria's mental toughness and will would be too much for Vaidisova in the end.

Corswandt
Jun 9th, 2006, 03:13 PM
Not true. She's used dropshots even when leading and believe or not, they turned out good and she won the points lol. She used one in the Safina match for example when she was very much ahead in the third set. She sucks at volleying (great with the swing volleys though) I must admit but she has improved a bit since last year. Now she tries not to look afraid when she has to follow up with another volley. I've also notice her hit slices more this year.

You should be right, I only watched the matches vs Washington and Molik. Also, watching Romina Oprandi play has led me to raise my standards as far as dropshots are concerned.

jacobruiz
Jun 9th, 2006, 04:20 PM
Hmm not so sure about the mentally tough part. I think Nicole at 17 beat some tough players. Sharapova won Wimby by beating Sugiyama and Serena. Nicole had a tougher road to win a major.

Lindsay's not worth mentioning, I suppose.:rolleyes:

The_Pov
Jun 9th, 2006, 04:21 PM
Lindsay's not worth mentioning, I suppose.:rolleyes:

Yeah well that would make Maria look good and we can't be having that!