PDA

View Full Version : Wimbledon queing

martirogi
Jun 8th, 2006, 12:35 PM
I remember a long thread about this before, but I can't find it. If someone would like to bump it that would be great. If not, I have some questions.

1) Do you actually stay in the city of London to travel there or is better to stay at a closer town?

2) What's the best transportation? I'm assuming train or bus. Can you please describe which stop to get off at etc.

3) Any info on the que itself. What's the best time to get there?

That's all I can think of for now. If someone can help me out I'd be very excited to go!!!!

!<blocparty>!
Jun 8th, 2006, 12:41 PM
http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=166350

Here you go. Feel free to bump :)

Doc
Jun 8th, 2006, 12:42 PM
1) Wimbledon is in London, South West London. London is an expensive place to stay, so if you can find somewhere on the outskirts where it is cheaper and can get a train in, it might be better. People queuing overnight are allowed to camp out on the pavement, but this requires a mattress and sleeping bag, and often a tent.

2) Best and cheapest transportation is underground train to Wimbledon or the station before (I can't remember its name.) There are special busses but they charge high tourist rates.

3) As to the queu it depends what you want. If you want Show Court Tickets, you have to queue overnight to be sure to get one. If you just want the other courts, you should get there by 9 AM

Lapin
Jun 8th, 2006, 11:13 PM
2) Best and cheapest transportation is underground train to Wimbledon or the station before (I can't remember its name.)

'Southfields' (District Line) is the nearest Underground station (just 5/10 mins walk from the queue), although you can also travel to Wimbledon (mainline) station too I think...

dav abu
Jun 8th, 2006, 11:36 PM
I queued last year and am camping this year. I've to go to bed now but I'll post all I know tomorrow. The queue rocks!

Caz
Jun 9th, 2006, 07:42 AM
I stay at home, as I live 20 mins by train from Wimbledon, so I'm not really sure on the accommodation front, but I would assume staying somewhere on the outskirts of London would be best, as, as has already been pointed out, staying in central London (or in Wimbledon during the tournament) will be very expensive.

If you stay on the outskirts of London you could catch a train to Wimbldon station, from where you can share a taxi ride to the end of the queue. If you stay in central London, or somewhere with a tube stop, catch the tube to Southfields and follow the people to the end of the queue. If you want info. on trains, go to www.thetrainline.com (http://www.thetrainline.com)

The queue itself is fine, but long and tiring after the first few days. What time you should get there, depends on what kind of tickets you want. For ground passes, it's generally ok to get there sometime between 6am - 7am and still manage to get a tickets and be inside in time for the first matches. If you want a show court ticket, you'll need to be there earlier and possibly sleep in the queue if you want a centre court ticket. The first trains in the morning (tcoming from south of Wimbledon, where I live) will get you to Wimbledon for around 6am-ish.

per4ever
Jun 9th, 2006, 08:06 AM
Does anyone know if we can attend training at Wimbledon during the qualifications f.e.

Qualifications are not played at the wimbledon grounds, but in the meantime other (top)players are probably training there. Is there a possibility to attend these trainings?

Philbo
Jun 9th, 2006, 08:56 AM
I queued last year and had no problems getting in.

I didnt sleep over etc, just woke up about 9am, made my way to wimbledon, joined the queue for grounds passes and was in the grounds by at least 12-1pm each day.. Then I just waited til late in the day when they resell centre court tickets and got to see some matches on centre court..

It was nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be.. as long as u are ok with standing in line for 2 hours or so you will make it in.

Caz
Jun 9th, 2006, 09:16 AM
Does anyone know if we can attend training at Wimbledon during the qualifications f.e.

Qualifications are not played at the wimbledon grounds, but in the meantime other (top)players are probably training there. Is there a possibility to attend these trainings?

Not 100% sure, but I doubt it. You can go into the grounds on a guided tour, but I don't think they let people walk around the grounds by themselves until the tournament actually begins properly.

SvetaPleaseWin.
Jun 9th, 2006, 09:31 AM
is queing worth it-if i went at 7.30am would i definetly get a ground pass?

Caz
Jun 9th, 2006, 10:48 AM
is queing worth it-if i went at 7.30am would i definetly get a ground pass?

Yes. You would definately get a ground pass and you shouldn't have any pbolem getting in by 10am-11am either.