PDA

View Full Version : If Kuznetsova were to win RG....

switz
Jun 8th, 2006, 01:55 AM
It would be very strange because she'd put herself amongst a pretty exclusive group as a multiple slam winner despite the fact that she's so young but not really regarded as a huge star and has had such an up and down career in such a sort space of time.

I'd be fine with it happening because i know her talent but it's just funny to think that she has such a low profile yet in 6 or 7 years time could have 5 or 6 slams for all we know.

She got through this draw with some tough matches but not much fanfare and kind of getting reminded of the US Open 2004 for some reason.

tennisIlove09
Jun 8th, 2006, 01:56 AM
She'd win her second major before Sharapova. Who would have thought that?

VeeDaQueen
Jun 8th, 2006, 02:00 AM
i always thought she was the one that would make it big.... when Navratilova asks you to be her doubles partner, you know you are WAY up there!!!! :worship:

switz
Jun 8th, 2006, 02:07 AM
i always thought she was the one that would make it big.... when Navratilova asks you to be her doubles partner, you know you are WAY up there!!!! :worship:

Liezel Huber will win a slam next year for sure ;) :lol:

MH0861
Jun 8th, 2006, 02:08 AM
IMO, she's the most talented Russian. All the power to her for quietly doing her thing and having great results.

Pheobo
Jun 8th, 2006, 02:09 AM

Or it means that that wrinkly chicken lady wants to jump your bones...

Reuchlin
Jun 8th, 2006, 02:10 AM
IMO, she's the most talented Russian. All the power to her for quietly doing her thing and having great results.
Maria is more talented (Better wins, more titles, higher ranking etc. etc. etc.) ALL at a younger age.

MH0861
Jun 8th, 2006, 02:14 AM
Maria is more talented (Better wins, more titles, higher ranking etc. etc. etc.) ALL at a younger age.

I said more talented, as in, all around ability. Not better career, better wins, more titles, etc.

cartmancop
Jun 8th, 2006, 02:15 AM
She's probably the most well-rounded Russian player IMO. Sharapova is still better on grass for sure, but hard is about even. SK is very good on clay as well. SK has better volleys & court sense I think, while Sharapova is usually a better server. MS can still improve that, which she will I think. (Venus is a good example that a very tall player can still have excellent movement) How is Sk's movement, I can't remember? :S

MH0861
Jun 8th, 2006, 02:17 AM
She's probably the most well-rounded Russian player IMO. Sharapova is still better on grass for sure, but hard is about even. SK is very good on clay as well. SK has better volleys & court sense I think, while Sharapova is usually a better server. MS can still improve that, which she will I think. (Venus is a good example that a very tall player can still have excellent movement) How is Sk's movement, I can't remember? :S

That's pretty much what I was trying to say. Movement is not Kuznetsova's strong suit either, I think she's maybe a touch quicker than Sharapova, but neither one are great movers.

anlavalle
Jun 8th, 2006, 02:20 AM

totally agree :wavey:

Ferosh
Jun 8th, 2006, 02:21 AM
If she were to win, it would pretty much seal the deal on who is the best Russian tennis player.

mboyle
Jun 8th, 2006, 02:35 AM
If she were to win, it would pretty much seal the deal on who is the best Russian tennis player.

Um I disagree. Sharapova has been no. 1. Sveta has had spurts of greatness, and spurts of losing first round against easy players. Day to day, Maria is the best Russian player. On their respective best days, Maria is still the better player, because she is more mentally tough, and she has cleaner strokes.

iPatty
Jun 8th, 2006, 02:37 AM
When she's at her best, Kuznetsova is the best on tour. No one else can challenge her. And to those of you who say she is barely faster than Sharapova...

...:cuckoo:

iPatty
Jun 8th, 2006, 02:38 AM

True. Very true.

MH0861
Jun 8th, 2006, 02:39 AM
When she's at her best, Kuznetsova is the best on tour. No one else can challenge her. And to those of you who say she is barely faster than Sharapova...

I'm sorry, that was me. :o

ys
Jun 8th, 2006, 02:41 AM
On their respective best days, Maria is still the better player, because she is more mentally tough.

That mental toughness was on show a couple of days ago.. Let me put it this way.. She is rock solid mentally when playing inferior players. But when she plays players of her caliber, she can be flaky as a boiled cod..

Ferosh
Um I disagree. Sharapova has been no. 1. Sveta has had spurts of greatness, and spurts of losing first round against easy players. Day to day, Maria is the best Russian player. On their respective best days, Maria is still the better player, because she is more mentally tough, and she has cleaner strokes.

Just like you, I disagree with what you say. Two slams is always better than one. :D

MH0861

Kuznetsova had her post-slam slump, much like Maria had hers (albeit, Sveta's took longer to take place). She's over it now and has become a lot more consistent this season.

Reuchlin
Jun 8th, 2006, 02:47 AM

But she is "at her best" 1 match every 5 years. The rest she plays like crap.

MH0861
Jun 8th, 2006, 02:48 AM
But she is "at her best" 1 match every 5 years. The rest she plays like crap.

Was her 1 match in the last 5 years the Miami final this year?

Reuchlin
Jun 8th, 2006, 02:49 AM
That mental toughness was on show a couple of days ago.. Let me put it this way.. She is rock solid mentally when playing inferior players. But when she plays players of her caliber, she can be flaky as a boiled cod..
Compare Sveta's record to Maria's with regard to the following players:

1.Davenport
2.Serena
3.Venus

Nuff said.

Ferosh

:haha:

I was just going to post that!

Orion
Kuznetsova ... has become a lot more consistent this season.

That's really the key. When she was 19, she could have explosive wins and remarkable game, but it was hard to keep it going. At 20-21, she's starting to have a consistently high level of play, coupled with fitness that rivals the best ever and a much cleaner mental game.

The best tennis I've seen her play was the six games she won in a row from 5-1 down against Safina. She didn't go for ridiculous winners at the earliest opportunity, she played smartly and it paid off. If she brings that kind of game with her to the next two rounds, I have a lot of trouble seeing anyone else winning the title.

Reuchlin
Jun 8th, 2006, 02:50 AM
yes, it was. That is the one I had in mind.

ys
Jun 8th, 2006, 02:51 AM

You must have not watched her Miami semifinal against Mauresmo. She walked on the water in that match.

MH0861
Jun 8th, 2006, 02:52 AM
Compare Sveta's record to Maria's with regard to the following players:

1.Davenport
2.Serena
3.Venus

Nuff said.

Check Sveta's record to Maria's with regard to the following players:

1. Mauresmo
2. Clijsters
3. Sharapova :lol:

MH0861
Jun 8th, 2006, 02:53 AM
You must have not watched her Miami semifinal against Mauresmo. She walked on the water in that match.

Eh? I was being sarcastic and making a point.. :confused:

VeeDaQueen
Jun 8th, 2006, 03:11 AM
Liezel Huber will win a slam next year for sure ;) :lol:

Huber is already a distinguished doubles player, Kuznetsova was an unknown when she played with Martina, but Martina still wanted to play doubles with her.

switz
Jun 8th, 2006, 03:49 AM
Huber is already a distinguished doubles player, Kuznetsova was an unknown when she played with Martina, but Martina still wanted to play doubles with her.

i was only joking. although Navratilova was hardly the first person to recognise Kuznetsova's talent.

VeeDaQueen
Jun 8th, 2006, 03:57 AM
yes, Arantxa was first ;) i remember spain denied kuznetsova's bid to represent spain because she was just another journeywomen in their opinions :haha:

crazyroberto6767
Jun 8th, 2006, 04:14 AM
No. I'm not going to debate the better player on their best days crap because that's impossible to say really. No one will agree on that. But, as for Maria being better than Sveta, look at this year. They've had pretty similar years. Both had r.16 losses at slams. Both had a Tier I win, with Sveta's being more "prestigious" in most peoples opinions. Both have another semi at a Tier I. Throw in a final at a Tier II for both. Maria has one more final at a Tier I, but Sveta's consistent play at other tournaments makes up for that (BTW she's lost before the quarters only once this year.) *IF* Sveta wins the FO, it's pretty hard to put Maria above her. Especially if you're going on things that are current.

Zauber
Jun 8th, 2006, 05:01 AM
She deserves it.
her game is as good as anyones. shots movement and power.
The only question mark is accuracy/consistency of her shots.
If she can contro it she is as good as anyone.
Yes I think a lot more people should be cheerig for her.
Why is she not my favorite? no real reason.
I guess a lot of people feel the way I do.

greenfunkTHREE.
Jun 8th, 2006, 06:07 AM

that was what i thinking too. I do hope she wins the RG. cos i dont sharapova would.