PDA

View Full Version : Eastbourne Field Has French Final Four Flair

tennisIlove09
Jun 8th, 2006, 12:39 AM
Eastbourne Field Has French Final Four Flair
http://www.sportsmediainc.net/tennisweek/HENINwimble05SMullane.jpg.JPG
Photo By Susan Mullane By Tennis Week
06/07/2006

The French Open final four will reunite on the grass courts of Eastbourne in 10 days. Nicole Vaidisova, who will play Svetlana Kuznetsova in tomorrow's Roland Garros semifinals, has joined fellow French Open semifinalists Justine Henin-Hardenne and Kim Clijsters as well as World No. 1 Amelie Mauresmo and Nadia Petrova in the field for the Hastings Direct International Championships in Eastbourne, set for June 17-24.

"Itís hugely exciting to be able to announce that Nicole Vaidisova will be playing at the Hastings Direct International Championships," Eastbourne tournament director Gavin Fletcher said. "She is a young player who has already shown enormous potential on the Tour and is clearly playing some of the best tennis of her career. She will pose a threat to the likes of Amelie Mauresmo, Kim Clijsters and Justine Henin-Hardenne here in Eastbourne and highlights the reputation of the event as one of the most prestigious on the womenís tour."

The announcement of the 16th-ranked Vaidisova joining the field came a day after 2001 Wimbledon finalist Henin-Hardenne officially entered the draw.

"Iíve only heard good things about Eastbourne and my best friend on Tour, Natalie Dechy, loves the tournament and she has always told me I have to come," Henin-Hardenne said. "I was supposed to go last year but unfortunately I was injured so I was very disappointed, but this year I hope I can make it and have the best preparation there for Wimbledon. I heard that the courts are very good, and everyone says it is the best preparation for Wimbledon. I hope that we are going to have good weather in England."

Three of the four reigning Grand Slam champions ó Australian Open champion Mauresmo, French Open champion Henin-Hardenne and U.S. Open champion Clijsters ó are scheduled to compete in Eastbourne. A year ago, Clijsters defeated Vera Douchevina (now known as "Dushevina"), 7-5, 6-0, in the Eastbourne final.

For more information, please visit LTA.org.uk (http://www.lta.org.uk/).

crazyroberto6767
Jun 8th, 2006, 12:43 AM
Strong field :eek:

Poor Vera D. :unsure:

switz
Jun 8th, 2006, 12:56 AM
yes you do have to feel sorry for Vera and from memory Vinci - although at least they don't have to defend bonus points

mboyle
Jun 8th, 2006, 01:06 AM
Why did she switch her name?

azmad_88
Jun 8th, 2006, 01:18 AM
it doesnt sound like her name pronounced in russian with her old spelling