PDA

View Full Version : What player do you remember from only one big match?

Davenselesport
Jun 8th, 2006, 12:48 AM
What players do you remember for one match and one match ONLY?
and what match was it?

My list:

Karatancheva: def. V Williams at the 2005 French Open
Bychkova: def. Kuznetsova at the 2005 US Open
Pironkova: def. V Williams at the 2006 Australian Open
Kapros: def. Henin at the 2002 French Open
Poutchek: lost to Clijsters at the 2002 French Open (8-6 in the third)

Slumpsova
Jun 8th, 2006, 12:54 AM
Angela Haynes : almost killed Serena at Wimbledon last year and i thought she was great :o

RobTheRusski
Jun 8th, 2006, 01:03 AM
Emelie Loit when she almost took out Serena in the Australian Open 2003.. yea yeah, i know she's an established player and all, but that's the only time I've really only paid attention to her

sfselesfan
Jun 8th, 2006, 01:14 AM
I'm gunna fudge a little on the rules. I remember Mary Joe Fernandez for one tournament. I realize she became sort of famous. I really only associate her with the 1993 French Open when Monica had just been stabbed. Mary Joe came back from something like 6-0, 5-0 to win a match against Sabatini in the QF. She then took Sanchez-Vicario down in three sets in the semis. In the final she almost took Steffi down, but lost in three. It was delightful.

SF

faboozadoo15
Jun 8th, 2006, 01:17 AM
I'm gunna fudge a little on the rules. I remember Mary Joe Fernandez for one tournament. I realize she became sort of famous. I really only associate her with the 1993 French Open when Monica had just been stabbed. Mary Joe came back from something like 6-0, 5-0 to win a match against Sabatini in the QF. She then took Sanchez-Vicario down in three sets in the semis. In the final she almost took Steffi down, but lost in three. It was delightful.

SF
:haha: she made a few major finals and played a LONG time in the top 10. i couldn't bring myself to say she is only remembered for one match.

sfselesfan
Jun 8th, 2006, 01:21 AM
I realize that...that's why I said I fudged a little. I really only remember her for that tournament. I guess if I had to pick one match..the fact that she went 10-8 in the third set against Sabatini (after coming back from 6-0, 5-0 down) of the QF would make me pick that match. Actually, upon reflection...I think she may have beaten Sanchez-Vicario in 2 sets.

SF

PointBlank
Jun 8th, 2006, 01:22 AM
I remember Gloria(last name) from her tournament in Quebec City a few years ago. She did amazing, but havent heard from her at all since.

LindsayRulz
Jun 8th, 2006, 01:53 AM
Bychkova and Pironkova

mboyle
Jun 8th, 2006, 02:10 AM
Poor Angela Haynes...that's the one that comes to mind.

Pheobo
Jun 8th, 2006, 02:23 AM
Poutchek, almost taking out Clijsters at RG 2002.

serenafann
Jun 8th, 2006, 03:54 AM
I remember the woman who almost beat Chris Evert at Wimbledon,it was the year that Chris was going to retire it was so dramatic,Chris had to make a comeback,and her husband Andy Mills was crying in the stands,when she won.I wish I could recall her name.

Erika_Angel
Jun 8th, 2006, 05:18 AM
I remember Gloria(last name) from her tournament in Quebec City a few years ago. She did amazing, but havent heard from her at all since.

Melanie Gloria ;)

Lulu.
Jun 8th, 2006, 05:26 AM
Angela Haynes, For trying to beat Serena at Wimbledon! :o

Losing that match must have killed her confidence

Almalyk
Jun 8th, 2006, 05:26 AM
Who was the girl that bagelled Davenport on clay in 2004? It was in the final of a tournament just before the French Open, which she went on to win. She seems to have faded out of this world...

Ah, Claudine Schaul or something like that?

Drake1980
Jun 8th, 2006, 05:27 AM
Linda Ferrando beating Seles at US Open

njnetswill
Jun 8th, 2006, 05:47 AM
Saeki and that crazy Kournikova match.

RR-87
Jun 8th, 2006, 06:03 AM
Melanie Gloria ;)

She beat Hantuchova once :eek: ;)

RJWCapriati
Jun 8th, 2006, 06:36 AM
Pironkova 2006 Aus

Beygelzemer (not sure how to spell it) 04 French 1st round

Baltacha (Wimbledon 2nd round I believe)

Slumpsova
Jun 8th, 2006, 08:55 AM
Who was the girl that bagelled Davenport on clay in 2004? It was in the final of a tournament just before the French Open, which she went on to win. She seems to have faded out of this world...

Ah, Claudine Schaul or something like that?

that's Claudine :o

Meteor Shower
Jun 8th, 2006, 09:52 AM
That german girl who beat Hingis on her comeback

.. does a little research ..

M Weingartner.

Declan
Jun 8th, 2006, 10:28 AM
I remember the woman who almost beat Chris Evert at Wimbledon,it was the year that Chris was going to retire it was so dramatic,Chris had to make a comeback,and her husband Andy Mills was crying in the stands,when she won.I wish I could recall her name.

Laura Golarsa, from Italy.

E. Blackadder
Jun 8th, 2006, 10:31 AM
That german girl who beat Hingis on her comeback

.. does a little research ..

M Weingartner.

I think she's more famous for taking out Capriati (two-time defending champion) in first round of Australian Open 2003 ;)

TomTennis
Jun 8th, 2006, 10:36 AM
:tape: at Venus making these young players career highlights :sad: Now another on at RG 2006 :tape:

Erm.....

I think in 2003, Krasnousyka def. Clijsters in Toronto :confused: ???

bmwofoz
Jun 8th, 2006, 10:36 AM
P. Hy def J Capriati 16 64 64 first round US Open 1993 only a week after Capriati took a Love set of Steffi at Canadian Open

Emlie Loit also beat Martinez at the Australian Open a few years ago 3rd Round

Meteor Shower
Jun 8th, 2006, 10:37 AM
Yeah but I didn't follow tennis closely then so I didn't hear about it.. I only remember her from beating Hingis. I remember there were lots of threads bashing Martina after that, they must seem funny after her comeback now :)

bmwofoz
Jun 8th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Yeah but I didn't follow tennis closely then so I didn't hear about it.. I only remember her from beating Hingis. I remember there were lots of threads bashing Martina after that, they must seem funny after her comeback now :)

Poor Jen coped a fair wack from the Media after that Lost for talking about her Injury which she hadn't mentioned before the Tournment.

Carmen Mairena
Jun 8th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Linda Ferrando beating Seles at US Open

Me too! :o That was painful... :mad:

danra
Jun 8th, 2006, 10:47 AM
P. Hy def J Capriati 16 64 64 first round US Open 1993 only a week after Capriati took a Love set of Steffi at Canadian Open

Emlie Loit also beat Martinez at the Australian Open a few years ago 3rd Round

Hy def Cap in '92, it was Leila Meskhi in '93 - and Cap was really crying in the press conference, then went downhill.

Loved Patricia Hy - her and her husband were so cute.

bmwofoz
Jun 8th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Hy def Cap in '92, it was Leila Meskhi in '93 - and Cap was really crying in the press conference, then went downhill.

Loved Patricia Hy - her and her husband were so cute.

I have looked upn the results and you are Right, and Hy won 75 64 3rd Round

danra
Jun 8th, 2006, 11:02 AM
I have looked upn the results and you are Right, and Hy won 75 64 3rd Round

Indeed. ;)

Capriati had also just won the Mahwah exhibition beating MJF I think, 0 & 3 in the final, just before the Meskhi match.

TomTennis
Jun 8th, 2006, 11:38 AM
I think she's more famous for taking out Capriati (two-time defending champion) in first round of Australian Open 2003 ;)

yeh, thats the match she will be remembered for.

Emelie Loit - for almost beating Serena in Round 1 of Australian Open.

Jill Craybas - Beating Serena at Wimbledon.

Shinobu Asagoe - winning 12-10 in the third over Hantuchova at Wimbledon.

V-MAC
Jun 8th, 2006, 12:16 PM
Aniko Kapros is definitely up there for me. It still remains a mystery how she managed to beat Henin-Hardenne with her laughable "powderpuff" serve :scratch: