PDA

View Full Version : Nicole - the new '-ova' on the block

Dasha_
Jun 7th, 2006, 06:55 PM
By Benjamin Adler
Wednesday, June 7, 2006

No16 seed Nicole Vaidisova is very much the surprise package of the women's semifinals at this year's Roland Garros, but no-one can say that she has not earned her place in the final four. The 17-year-old Czech girl has already beaten Amélie Mauresmo and Venus Williams thus far, showing a talent and maturity beyond her years, with a style of play and a star quality reminiscent of a certain Maria Sharapova.

Just as Amélie Mauresmo's earliest memories are of Yannick Noah's win in 1983, a six-year-old Nicole Vaidisova was glued to the TV screen in her home in Nuremberg as Steffi Graf held aloft her fourth French Open trophy in 1995. Weeks earlier, she had picked up a tennis racquet for the first time, and while she certainly had tennis in her genes - Czech star Daniel Vacek, who was in the top 30 at the time, is her uncle - no-one was predicting what lay ahead of her. 11 years on, when you watch the current world No16 on court, it is difficult to believe that there was ever a time when hitting a tennis ball was merely a child's game like any other as opposed to the destiny of a future champion…

In 1995, Nicole's mother left Germany to go back to her native Czech Republic, and it was on the courts of the Sparta club in Prague that Nicole would show the first signs of her burgeoning talent.

Under the wing of Nick Bollettieri

The more she played, the better she got, and she began to take the game seriously, very seriously, in fact. Some find her stand-offish - Mary Pierce commenting on the fact that she is happy to sit in the corner and mind her own business - but this can be put down to her single-mindedness, and something which is a personal choice. "I only play because I love it, though - never because my entourage has forced me into it," she explains.

In 200, she joined the Nick Bollettieri academy in Florida, where she has since spent five months a year. By 2004, the statuesque (6' ½"/1.83m, 140lb/63 kg) Nicole had won her first WTA tournament, having got through the qualifiers to win in Vancouver, at the age of 15 - making her the sixth youngest winner of a title on the professional circuit.

By the time she was 16, she had already made it into the top 50, and followed up her win in Vancouver with another tournament success in Tashkent. At similar stages in their careers, the likes of Sharapova, Henin-Hardenne, Clijsters and Serena Williams were still outside the top 150 and looking for their first tournament wins. In 2005, she won in Tokyo, Bangkok and Seoul, under the coaching of her step-father Alex Kodat, who is "like a father to (her)". All that was missing was a contract from a major sponsor - and along came Reebok, who signed her up to headline their "I am what I am" campaign.

"Tennis is my priority"

Vaidisova is a very direct young woman, both off the court and in particular on it. Her style of play consists of "hitting a winner on every shot" - a fair reflection of the boldness, bordering on arrogance, which has already thrown a few big name opponents off their games, and what with her physique has led to ever increasing comparisons to another tall, blond, aggressive player.

"I don't mind being compared with Sharapova. I don't know her personally, and to be honest, I really don't see what we have in common, but I suppose that people like to make comparisons," states the Florida resident quite calmly. The discussion heats up, however, if the subject strays away from tennis and onto her looks. "I want to be considered a tennis player and nothing else. I've done a few adverts and photo shoots because it was fun, but tennis will always be my first priority."

The next Steffi?

Having won the sixth tournament of her fledgling career, in Strasburg, you wonder where Vaidisova finds the time to enjoy hobbies such as listening to Madonna, yoga and ice hockey ("even though I don't know how to skate", she smiles). And here she is, about to play in her first ever Grand Slam semi-final. Steffi Graf was 17 when she won her first ever French Open in 1987 - will Vaidisova be able to follow in the footsteps of her idol this year already? And who knows, maybe a future champion will be glued to the television, her eyes lighting up every time Nicole hits a winner…

(www.rolandgarros.com)

Rasputin'sGhost
Jun 7th, 2006, 07:24 PM
There are ovas and ovas. Sharapova, Kournikova, even Romanova. This young lady for me is not an ova!

BK4ever
Jun 7th, 2006, 07:47 PM
I just hope Nicole stays humble and doesnt get caught up in the hype.

Rasputin'sGhost
Jun 7th, 2006, 08:30 PM

I think it's too late. Sorryy. But she'll make a few dollars.

mboyle
Jun 7th, 2006, 09:11 PM

She's really awkward, so don't worry about it.

I love Nicole, so don't think that is an insult. If tennis were high school, however, Anna K would be the queen bee of the "Plastics." All she cares about is being popular and pretty. School comes a distant second. She cares a lot about her social status and being popular, so, even though she began as a dedicated student, she found that the limelight was too tempting.

Maria Sharapova is in the popular crowd, but is the smart one who has like a 3.8 or 3.9 GPA. She goes to parties and chases the guys, but only after she has finished her BC Calculus homework. True, if she hung out with the math club, she would probably have a 4.0 and be ranked no. 1 in the school, but, for her, life is all about balance.

Nicole is the really pretty girl that sits in the side tables with the losers at lunch. The popular girls want to take her under their wing, but she doesn't like alcohol, and doesn't enjoy random hook ups. All she wants is to have that 4.0. While she has to work a lot harder than Maria to get that GPA, she's willing to do it because, unlike Maria, she has no interest in finding balance or in living at least partially in the limelight.

Dasha_
Jun 7th, 2006, 10:44 PM

I love Nicole, so don't think that is an insult. If tennis were high school, however, Anna K would be the queen bee of the "Plastics." All she cares about is being popular and pretty. School comes a distant second. She cares a lot about her social status and being popular, so, even though she began as a dedicated student, she found that the limelight was too tempting.

Maria Sharapova is in the popular crowd, but is the smart one who has like a 3.8 or 3.9 GPA. She goes to parties and chases the guys, but only after she has finished her BC Calculus homework. True, if she hung out with the math club, she would probably have a 4.0 and be ranked no. 1 in the school, but, for her, life is all about balance.

Nicole is the really pretty girl that sits in the side tables with the losers at lunch. The popular girls want to take her under their wing, but she doesn't like alcohol, and doesn't enjoy random hook ups. All she wants is to have that 4.0. While she has to work a lot harder than Maria to get that GPA, she's willing to do it because, unlike Maria, she has no interest in finding balance or in living at least partially in the limelight.

I think she has to do less then her, no hader...

The_Pov
Jun 7th, 2006, 10:55 PM

That's a wicked summary :lol:

Loves it.

Slumpsova
Jun 7th, 2006, 11:41 PM

this is interesting. give me more :cool:
how about Serena and Venus? what does she look like in high school?

The_Pov
Jun 8th, 2006, 12:02 AM

They'd be the "Scary hot black chicks" (I think that's what they're called in mean girls)

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jun 8th, 2006, 01:53 AM

I think Serena and Vee are like those kids in school who never come to class except on test day, and you wonder who the hell they're about to still get passing grades.

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jun 8th, 2006, 01:57 AM
Vaidisova... Sharapova... Kournikova...

Mix them up, and you get... Vairakova, Shanisova, Kourdipova...

... combination of power, youth and beauty :lol:

stevos
Jun 8th, 2006, 02:03 AM

Lol that rox. In nicoles interview she said she didnt want to do that many photoshoots, just a couple on the side, she is all about tennis. She said she does it cus she loves the game, not because her parents told her too. Frig I Love you Nicole.

bellascarlett
Jun 8th, 2006, 06:59 AM

:lol: fun read...so true though about Kournikova and Sharapova - very imaginable scenarios for them.

Sharapova's_Boy
Jun 8th, 2006, 07:07 AM

:lol:

Matt :yeah:

mboyle
Jun 8th, 2006, 07:07 PM

Venus is the quiet girl in the back of the class that is shy, but will always answer questions correctly, but isn't eager to. She perpetually has pneumonia, so she is out of class more often than in it, but she still manages to pull off a respectable GPA in all honors and AP classes. She has a small group of friends, and though she is demur around others, she is buck-wild with her friends, though very straight edge.

Serena is the girl that gets a 2400 on the SAT without trying, but, after a 4.0 freshman year in advanced, upper classman courses, she has slid down to a 2.6 because she is too busy going to college keggers every night to care about getting her work done. Unlike the other girls, she is straightforeward: if she doesn't like you, you probably have scars and bruises to show for it, but if she likes you, you probably get treated to your favorite coffee in your A block class every morning. One point of advice: do. not. fuck. with. her. The plastics learned this the hard way. When she's in school, she's the queen. Luckily for Maria, Anna and others, she usually thinks she is too important to come to school, so Maria and Anna get to sit in the limelight.

The_Pov
Jun 8th, 2006, 07:21 PM
Venus is the quiet girl in the back of the class that is shy, but will always answer questions correctly, but isn't eager to. She perpetually has pneumonia, so she is out of class more often than in it, but she still manages to pull off a respectable GPA in all honors and AP classes. She has a small group of friends, and though she is demur around others, she is buck-wild with her friends, though very straight edge.

Serena is the girl that gets a 2400 on the SAT without trying, but, after a 4.0 freshman year in advanced, upper classman courses, she has slid down to a 2.6 because she is too busy going to college keggers every night to care about getting her work done. Unlike the other girls, she is straightforeward: if she doesn't like you, you probably have scars and bruises to show for it, but if she likes you, you probably get treated to your favorite coffee in your A block class every morning. One point of advice: do. not. fuck. with. her. The plastics learned this the hard way. When she's in school, she's the queen. Luckily for Maria, Anna and others, she usually thinks she is too important to come to school, so Maria and Anna get to sit in the limelight.

That's so cool, what about Lindsay Davenport, Maria Kirilenko and Ana Ivanovic?

Slumpsova
Jun 8th, 2006, 07:22 PM

:lol: that rocks.