PDA

View Full Version : Serena Wins The French Open

GogoGirl
May 26th, 2002, 03:56 PM
Great Day & Morning All,

Yes - I predict Serena will win the whole enchilada. She will be one of the last ones standing.

Consequently - she wins as long as she doesn't have to battle her sister Venus in the finals. I wish for Venus to go farrrrrrr too - so I want her playing at the Big Dance too. Lordy be. Decisions - decisions!

I'll choose between then on the technical tip when they both make the finals. But - after that - I have to admit I have a tie here. I want Serena to win her second slam - and I want Venus to win her first FO title. Ohh - what a weary proposition that stands in front of me.

Of course, I will have to do my part in rooting them both thru the draw. That draw be a tricky thing - at times. That clay be tricky 2. But - IMO - the Sisters have played in some great warm-up tourneys - and by tomorrow and the next day - they will have adapted to the red clay in RG - and should continue to play on it the way they've learned, and apply what they've learned - the best way they know how.

For the most part - their effort seems to always pays off when they need it. They have risen up to the challenge. They both have risen high up in the ranks - because - they are winners. And they love that feeling better than the one they get after losing.

"YOU TOO ARE SIMPLY THE BEST - VENUS & SERENA" "CREAM OFF THE VERY TOP" DIAMONDS IN THE RUFF" "DAISIES DANCING AROUND IN HEARTS" "QUEENS FOR ALL DAYS" "SWEET AS APPLE PIE" "U 2 RULE - ROCK AND ROLL - VENUS & SERENA"

"HERE'S TO SEEING YOU TOO SOON - ON 5-27-02"

French Open

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Serena's star set to rise

Jon Henderson
Sunday May 26, 2002
The Observer

Venus envy is the title of a new book about the women's tour - it's stuffed with essential trivia, such as Anna Kournikova caught smoking in the locker room - and while it's difficult to quibble with the title as a general observation on the mental state of most of Venus Williams's rivals, it hardly applies to the two weeks of the French Open.

Williams, Serena's older sister, is the most feared adversary on the tour as the holder of two grand slams and with a combination of power and mobility that no other player has been able to match. But her French Open record is distinctly unenviable for a performer with her ability - only 12 wins in five visits and never having been past the quarter-finals. Those she comes up against in Paris will not have quite the same feeling of resignation that they will do a little later at Wimbledon, where she has won her past 14 singles matches. And they will view the wrist injury that forced Williams out of the Italian Open earlier this month as further cause for optimism.

So, while agreeing with the much-travelled Women's Tennis Association official I canvassed that the winner of the French title will be 'one of the Williamses or one of the Belgians', my inclination is to regard Venus as the least likely winner of the four.

The Williamses and the Belgians - Kim Clijsters and Justine Henin - have monopolised the big clay-court events leading up to Paris: Clijsters beat Venus Williams 1-6 6-3 6-4 in the Hamburg final, Henin beat Serena Williams 6-2 1-6 7-6 in the Berlin final, and then Serena reversed that result in the Rome final, beating Henin 7-5 6-4. Serena and Henin are scheduled to meet in the quarter-finals in Paris in a match that could determine who wins the title.

The win over Henin in Rome elevated Serena Williams to her highest world ranking - at number three she is behind Jennifer Capriati and Venus, who lost top spot when she pulled out of Rome - and evidence is starting to accumulate that Serena is finally believing rather than hoping she can be best in the world.

Taking matches between the Williams sisters seriously can demand a willing suspension of cynicism, but their most recent, in the final of the Key Biscayne event in late March, had an authentic look to it, even if the crowd did whistle and jeer as Serena pulled away to win 6-2 6-2. 'I can't believe it; I finally beat her in a real match,' said Serena, in what may or may not have been a tacit acknowledgement that this was the first time in six meetings that both sisters had gone for it.

Given the severity of Serena's hitting, it was entirely possible to believe that Venus's game had fallen apart involuntarily and that the 20-year-old was now in the process of overtaking her older sibling. She was particularly fierce on Venus's second serve and said there was nothing personal in this: 'I attack anyone's second serve: man, woman or dog.' This was no little sister talking.

Of the two Belgians, my fancy is that Henin is playing just the better at the moment. In Berlin, she not only beat Serena in the final, she upset Capriati in the semis - winning the deciding set 6-1. John McEnroe reckons that Henin has the 'greatest backhand in the game, men's or women's', and the Belgian, who reached the final at Wimbledon last year, has a deep supply of determination, which, as she says herself: 'If you have it, sometimes you can do things no one predicts.'

My own prediction is that she has the beating of everyone assembling in Paris - injured absentees include Lindsay Davenport and Martina Hingis - except Serena Williams.

TSequoia01
May 26th, 2002, 05:54 PM
Nice article! It is a shame that Serena and Justine have to meet in the quarters. This seems like a semifinal matchup. I agree with the author, Serena is just glad she does not have to face Venus! Anyone else, bring them on. :cool:

Williams Rulez
May 27th, 2002, 04:27 AM
Go go girls! ;) :D