PDA

View Full Version : Shahar defeats Dementieva

Meteor Shower
Jun 3rd, 2006, 03:41 PM
her biggest win ever and in RG :eek: !!!!!!!
Kadima! :bounce: :D :drool: :hearts: :kiss:

:woohoo:

what will her ranking be?

Makkabi
Jun 3rd, 2006, 03:56 PM
Well done Shahar :D

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

shirgan
Jun 3rd, 2006, 04:32 PM
not only in RG
her biggest win ever :)

shirgan
Jun 3rd, 2006, 05:49 PM
Day 7 - An interview with Shahar Peer
Saturday, June 3, 2006

http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/interviews/2006-06-03/200606031149351699181.html

the video interview is in the link

Trascript
Q. You're the first Israeli player to make it past the fourth round in any Grand Slam event since 1998. How does that feel to you, does that put you in any additional pressure?

SHAHAR PEER: I feeling, no, I know last one was Anna, I think, Anna Smashnova. She was playing here fourth round, I think, against Hingis. If I got the right information, my next round is against Hingis. So it's going to be great. I hope to make it, if she's gonna win, I mean. But it's no pressure. I mean, I came here for defending the third round, and now I am in the fourth round. I have unbelievable four weeks. I think I just have to keep going like this.

Q. She leads two time 4‑1 and you came back. Can you explain how you do.

SHAHAR PEER: I think whenever I go in the court, I just fight for every ball and every point. I never give up. Both sets was only one break and I could reach these two breaks.

First set, I finish it with 6‑4, but the second set was a little bit tougher. She's a great player. I mean, Elena, she's Top 10. She played here final last ‑‑ two years ago.

I just think I was playing a little bit better today. I was playing a lot of winners. I was just consistent more than her.

Q. You win in Istanbul. You are in the fourth round here. Can you explain why your level is so high by this time?

SHAHAR PEER: Uhm, I don't know. I mean, I won also weeks, two weeks before Istanbul. I won in Prague. I mean, I have unbelievable decision on the clay because I won 18 matches out of 18 on the Fed Cup too.

I just think everything is coming together now and I don't need to think why and how, I just have to keep playing like this and keep winning and enjoy on court.

Q. How much clay did you play on growing up?

SHAHAR PEER: Not too much. We have maybe four courts in Israel, clay courts. The rest is just hard courts. But in the summer we used to travel around the world, I mean usually to Europe as teenagers, and to play on clay. But not too much.

But I think the way I play and the way I move, I can improve and play better and better on clay.

Q. It's not your favorite surface?

SHAHAR PEER: I guess now it is (smiling).

Q. You're doing military service now, is that right?

SHAHAR PEER: Yeah, I started in October. I had my two and a half weeks basic training. Now it's two years in the Army, because I'm a sport person and woman, we have a special program to sports people. I just can travel and whenever I'm at home, I have to go for three hours every day.

Q. What do you actually do?

SHAHAR PEER: Just like office things, just in the office doing some things and answering to the phones and doing some computer stuff and just in the office.

Q. No guns then?

SHAHAR PEER: Sorry?

Q. Nothing like with guns or any of the things people think of with the Army?

SHAHAR PEER: No, no, only in the two and a half weeks we learn how to use the gun and how to shoot it and all these things, but not in the two years.

Q. Were you good at shooting?

SHAHAR PEER: Yeah, actually, I was one of the best. I mean, it was good experience and I really like it.

Q. When you just were telling Doug about the clay courts, where was the nearest clay court to your house when you were growing up? How far away was it?

SHAHAR PEER: I mean, Israel is not that big so it's around 30 minutes from my house. But they just build two really good clay courts in Israel in Herzliya, so I think this is the best two courts, clay courts, and the rest are not really good.

But not too many.

Q. Why did you choose to play double with Marion Bartoli?

SHAHAR PEER: In Amelia Island I was just sitting near the computers and I heard her there and we were sitting, talking. We just decided to play in Prague and in the French Open. We won Prague together. Now we are already in the third round, so we just keep going. We're gonna play in Eastbourne and Wimbledon, too.

Q. How much of a role was Smashnova in your development, her influence?

SHAHAR PEER: Since I was like 14, I got into the Fed Cup team and she was the first No. 1 seed for Israel. I looked at how she was playing and working hard on the court, and she was helping me a little bit when I was young. I think now we are now together on the team and we help each other. I think she's really nice, very good athletic. She had unbelievable career. She's still in the top 50 when she's ‑ I don't know ‑ I think she's around 30 or so.

Q. Did you admire someone in particular when you were young?

SHAHAR PEER: Actually, yes. I really liked Seles. She was my favorite player. I really liked her, how she was on the court, and how she was behaving and playing. And after was Capriati.

But more Seles, I think.

Q. Do you think one day you will have to go in Florida academy or something like that to have a lot of good partners and some people like that?

SHAHAR PEER: No, I think when I was young, I didn't go and we had good enough coaches in Israel to develop me, my coach Dedy, and Yuval, my fitness coach, they were my coaches for six years so I think that was enough. You don't have to go with to academies to play with good partners. You can just go to different coaches or just to make up like training with the other players.

Q. But for the future?

SHAHAR PEER: Not to academy. I don't think about anything like this.

shirgan
Jun 4th, 2006, 07:11 AM
a quote from Dementieva about the match with Shahar:

"She really put a lot of pressure on me," Dementieva said after the match. "Even with the leads in the both sets, she never gave up. She was playing until the end. She has talent and she was playing really well today, very aggressive. I know she just won a tournament in Istanbul, so she got her confidence."

shirgan
Jun 4th, 2006, 07:14 AM
http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/global/library/200x250/71115248.jpg

Getty Images

~Carsten~
Jun 4th, 2006, 07:19 AM
amazing what Shahar did! :)
it's great to see her play!

shirgan
Jun 4th, 2006, 08:15 AM
And yet another quote from Dementieva:

"I wish I had a day off yesterday," said the Russian, who was forced to play on consecutive days after rain played havoc with the schedule.

"I was playing six hours on my day off and this is not fair, especially in a grand slam when you realize that every single match is so important and so difficult. I was playing three sets singles, three sets doubles. I didn't have enough time to recover."