PDA

View Full Version : Williams vs. Williams: Will it happen again in Paris?

TeeRexx
May 25th, 2002, 02:19 PM
The 2001 U.S. Open womens singles final was an historic occasion in sports when VENUS and SERENA WILLIAMS faced each other in that championship match.

But, can they do it once more in Paris at the Roland Garos championships?

http://usopen.org/images/pics/large/bh0908026.jpg

VENUS: The biggest obstacles to the Queen of Tennis playing in the finals is, as always, injuries and distracting shopping sprees in Paris.
Heck, she has winning records against everyone entered and she just about owns the #1 ranked player in the world.
So, if VENUS can stay healthy and give that Kryptonite credit card a rest, her chances of being in the finals are very good.

SERENA: At this time, the Princess may be the odds on favorite to take the title, based on the momentum that she has going into Roland Garos after defeating Henin and Capriati in her last tournament victory.
SERENA and Henin may have the toughest draw of the top 5 seeds but, she seems to have found the way to handle Henin and she has equaled her sister's winning streak against Ms. Manners.
SERENA will be in the finals if she can close out those sets, in which she builds up leads, and decisively finish off her opponets in the process.

Even though VENUS is the best player on the tour, I would like to see SERENA with the Roland Garos title for her second major title.

Go SERENA!
Go VENUS!

Amanda
May 25th, 2002, 02:23 PM
I hope so! Venus is fantastic. Serena is terrific. A final on clay will be phenominal.

Williams Rulez
May 25th, 2002, 03:00 PM
I sure hope so... :D

GrandSlammed
May 25th, 2002, 03:03 PM
This Could Be The Start Of Something BEAUTIFUL
http://frenchopen.com/images/pics/large/bh_05_002.jpg

Jovon
May 25th, 2002, 03:31 PM
I hope so!

I hope they are both injury free. If they are they can do it!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

QueenO
May 25th, 2002, 03:38 PM
See you in the Final girls......

Fingon
May 25th, 2002, 05:09 PM
or maybe we will have an all belgian finals :)

CanadianBoy21
May 25th, 2002, 05:14 PM
Even if it is not a Williams final, if one wins, I will be soooooo happy.
I can't be too greedy, afterall there are some other good players in the draw. As long as one thakes it.

Although, if it is a Williams Final, I'll be in heaven.

"Women's Final coming up right after this, Venus & Serena, 2002 French Open"

Shane54
May 25th, 2002, 05:24 PM
If a sister wins, I hope that Venus does it. Seems as though people are writing her off because of Serena's good clay court season. A good warm up clay season means nothing. A la Capriati in 2001 and ASV 98. Venus did not have a bad one either, winning Amelia Island and a real close one with Clijsters in Hamburg. Not too shabby. Actually I believe that Venus will be the "minor" surprise and will be the one to reach the final.

But best of the luck to both!
Until Rena play Cap ;)

Infiniti2001
May 25th, 2002, 05:30 PM
Shane, do you have a fever?? LOLOL Just kidding of course... I am watching the Justine Henin vs Venus final at Amelia Island right now , and I couldn't agree more with your post . Anyway, I love the fact that the pressure is not on Miss Venus this time around:P...

LucasArg
May 25th, 2002, 05:50 PM
Please Venus, stay healthy and win this one. Also I would be happy if Serena takes it.

GO GIRLS YOU GOT WORK TO DO IN PARIS:wavey:

Kart
May 25th, 2002, 06:52 PM
I hope not, but if it happens then I hope Venus wins it.

Couver
May 25th, 2002, 06:52 PM
Shane I am surprised, are you feeling ok? :eek: J/K

I would love to see an all Williams final, but if not I definetly want one of them to win. It would be historic since, it's been a while since a person of color has won RG. If anyone can break that barrier it's a Williams :bounce:

GO GIRLS!

Gumbycat
May 25th, 2002, 07:03 PM
ALL Williams Final with Serena winning a tough 3 set match for the Championship! Then have our girls ranked 1 and 2 in the world!

harloo
May 25th, 2002, 07:05 PM
I'm leaning more towards Serena winning the title. Now if there is a Williams/Williams final I would still want Rena to win it all. I think it's just her time to take these grand slams. Jen doesn't really need it, Venus doesn't really need it, because they have already did it numerous times. This is Serena's breakthrough year, she has finally started to be the ruthless champion that she was in 99 and it encouraging to see her newfound confidence.

Go, Babygirl and show them all who's the best!!!!!!:D

Shane54
May 25th, 2002, 07:09 PM
Hey luna moonstone :wavey: I guess you remember me from the old board LOL.

I just hope Venus does well, because she is being unfairly written off. I am telling you, Venus will do well. And anyways, maybe Jenn can beat her on "clay" LOL ;) and get that 0 win against V off her back.

;)

Crazy Canuck
May 25th, 2002, 07:13 PM
If either wins, I hope its Venus.

But I dont see an all WIlliams final this time around, I think someone will stop them here.

At WImbledon or the US Open however, its a more likely senario, IMO.

spartanchris
May 25th, 2002, 07:29 PM
I really hope Venus can take this grand slam. It isnt right how everyone is writing her off.

Richie77
May 25th, 2002, 11:33 PM
I think there's a great chance. The biggest challenge, though, would be Kim vs. Venus in the semifinals. As for Serena-Justine, Serena should win because she's still the better big-match player.

joe
May 25th, 2002, 11:56 PM
Give us an all Williams final please!!!!!

Williams Rulez
May 26th, 2002, 02:25 AM
Yeah... the oponnent I fear most is Kim against Venus... she was just amazing at Hamburg... hitting amazing shots in the 2nd and 3rd set... :eek:

Wow, I didn't see that coming Shane... :D
Thanks! :)

Shane54
May 26th, 2002, 02:31 AM
Thanks Williamz Rules. You know I am not such a bad guy:)
Sometimes I post things in response towards certain negative posters and it is not really against V or S themselves. Well, i hope you know what I mean. I think we have all done that at least once or twice on these boards.
But yes, I just can not believe people are forgetting about Venus. It is like wake up this is Venus Williams we are talking about here. ;)

Sam L
May 26th, 2002, 03:06 AM
I think that the only obstacles are:

For Serena - Justine
For Venus - Monica

Harju.
May 26th, 2002, 05:38 AM
I hope so..

Weevee
May 26th, 2002, 12:00 PM
I bet on it!

HEAVYHITTER
May 29th, 2002, 01:38 AM
Each day inches closer to yet another Historic Event.

CC
May 29th, 2002, 04:10 AM
Sadly, Justine is no longer an obstacle. I was looking forward to a Serena/Justine quarterfinal matchup.

Ms. Lively
May 29th, 2002, 04:38 AM
No.

TeeRexx
May 29th, 2002, 06:00 AM
Yes. :)

Crazy Canuck
May 29th, 2002, 06:06 AM
Thankyou Ms Cleo.

Crazy Canuck
May 29th, 2002, 06:08 AM
LIke others have said - Venus is being virtually ignored.

With Justine out, I think Venus is going to win.

I had previously given Justine the kiss of death - now I think Venus will win, and not Serena.

HEAVYHITTER
May 29th, 2002, 06:19 AM
Didn't the Leafs get outsted!

It's quite apparent the Williams fans the only ones on this board possessing winners.

Crazy Canuck
May 29th, 2002, 06:22 AM
It apparent that people like yourself are the only ones on this board who need to root for a "winner" to feel good for themselves.

HEAVYHITTER
May 29th, 2002, 06:30 AM
LOL

Becca you have no winners. If rooting for the Sistahs makes me feel good - then my purpose is being served. That's the nature of Professional Sports Entertainment.

If my fave wins I win.

What's your purpose besides spreading misery?

Crazy Canuck
May 29th, 2002, 06:32 AM
Becca has no winners?

Ouch, that was a real doosy. Not that I expect anything more.

Gumbycat
May 29th, 2002, 07:19 AM
GO SERENA!!!! GO VENUS!!!!
One match at a time :)

Scotso
May 29th, 2002, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by HEAVYHITTER
It's quite apparent the Williams fans the only ones on this board possessing winners.

How pathetic of you that you base your worth on how your favorites do.

Back to the topic... I really don't care as long as Serena doesn't win.

J_Migoe
May 29th, 2002, 08:57 AM
Serena should win the whole thang. God told me she would.

Jovon
May 30th, 2002, 03:08 AM
MAKE THIS HAPPEN!

Come on Venus just 4 more matches to go!!!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Come on Serena just 5 more matches to go!!!!!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Shane54
May 30th, 2002, 03:11 AM
Becca I hope you can get over these intelligent, full of merit attacks ;)

TeeRexx
May 30th, 2002, 03:34 AM
Factors pointing towards a W/W final:

1. Henin ousted
2. Clijsters in a 2nd round near elimination
3. Great play by SERENA
4. VENUS looking real sharp in the 2nd round.

Go SERENA!! Go VENUS!!