PDA

View Full Version : Best Lindsay vs. Hingis Final & Lindsay vs. Venus final?

Ingokoer
May 31st, 2006, 09:20 AM
I'm collecting great Lindsay matches (only tough 3 setter) but I still don't have any of the legendary Lindsay vs. Martina matches. I'd like to know which of the later matches (from 2000 onwards) is the best (of course only the matches won by Lindsay). I've heard good things about Indian Wells final 2000, but 6:0 in the third seems to be a very one-sided match.

What about the Tokyo 2001 final? Was it a good match too?

What about Lindsay vs. Venus finals? I have Stanford 2004, which was great. What about Linz 2000? Was it a great match too? Thanks a lot.

mike/topgun
May 31st, 2006, 12:32 PM
I've heard good things about Indian Wells final 2000, but 6:0 in the third seems to be a very one-sided match.

What about the Tokyo 2001 final? Was it a good match too?

What about Lindsay vs. Venus finals? I have Stanford 2004, which was great. What about Linz 2000? Was it a great match too? Thanks a lot.

1).Definitely IW 2000 final was a classic, but surely Martina was helpless in the third - first two were really tough, but since 2-4 in the 2nd Lindsay's started to play her game finally.
2).Tokyo 2001 final was a great match, just alike IW, with a tight score.
Well, I've had it taped and some of the rallies you could watch and watch all over again:bounce:
3).Linz 2000 was an exciting match too, and it was the historical one when Lindsay ended Vee's 30 something match streak, with a really good performance, lots of great serves, agressive groundstrokes and net play on the really fast indoor court<supreme>...the speed looked almost like Wimbledon;)...then VW was visibly tired in the one-sided 3rd set
(Stanford 2004, as you know, was not really high quality, but very dramatic and some shots were unbelievable from both sides)
I'd add some really great matches which weren't 3 setters, or were lost by Lindsay:
2000 LA final Vs Serena - lost by Davenport after over 3 hours battle!!!
2000 USO QF Vs Serena which Lindsay won in str8!!! - really solid performance
2000 Zurich final (3 stes) lost by Lindsay to Hingis, really great quality from both!!!
2000 Philadelphia final, 2 tight sets in 2 hours - great display, unbelievable rallies - you must watch it !!!!!!!!!
or maybe:
2001 Sydney lost by Lindsay to Hingis in 3, but still good to watch
2001 USO QF Vs Serena which Lindsay lost...sadly, good quality
that's all what I can remember for now;)

RayRob
Jun 4th, 2006, 11:01 PM
1).3).Linz 2000 was an exciting match too, and it was the historical one when Lindsay ended Vee's 30 something match streak, with a really good performance, lots of great serves, agressive groundstrokes and net play on the really fast indoor court<supreme>...the speed looked almost like Wimbledon;)...then VW was visibly tired in the one-sided 3rd set
(Stanford 2004, as you know, was not really high quality, but very dramatic and some shots were unbelievable from both sides)

Not many people pick this one when they think of a classic Lindsay match - I think either a lot of people didn't see it or forgot about it but I have to agree it was one of the best performances by Lindsay.

Venus was practically unbeatable, I think it was a 35 match winning-streak. It must have been great - I turned down a free meal to watch it. My whole family went out for Sunday dinner while I stayed home to watch this classic!

Highly recommend it!

-Rache

The Daviator
Jun 4th, 2006, 11:07 PM
Not many people pick this one when they think of a classic Lindsay match - I think either a lot of people didn't see it or forgot about it but I have to agree it was one of the best performances by Lindsay.

Venus was practically unbeatable, I think it was a 35 match winning-streak. It must have been great - I turned down a free meal to watch it. My whole family went out for Sunday dinner while I stayed home to watch this classic!

Highly recommend it!

-Rache

I remember watching that match, an absolute cracker, and I can recall feeling so relieved afterwards because Hingis beat her in Zurich the week before and I remember being so pissed after that final :lol: And then to end Venus' run was amazing, and then she won Philly and it looked like she was going to end the year on a good note until Dementieva at the YEC :tape: