PDA

View Full Version : Bielik, Lehnhoff advance to NCAA Finals

ptkten
May 25th, 2002, 04:13 AM
STANFORD, Calif. (AP) - Top-seeded Bea Bielik of Wake Forest advanced to the final of the NCAA women's tennis tournament Friday, routing Stanford freshman Erin Burdette 6-1, 6-0.

Bielik, a junior from Valley Stream, N.Y., will face third-seeded Jessica Lehnhoff of Florida in the championship match Saturday. Lehnhoff, a senior from Delray Beach, Fla., beat Stanford's Gabriela Lastra 6-4, 6-2.

In five straight-set victories in the tournament, Bielik has lost just 19 games - three short of the NCAA record for a singles champion set by Stanford's Laura Granville in 2000.

``I feel like I'm getting better after every match,'' Bielik said. ``This is the point you want to get to.

``Tomorrow, I just have to go out and play to the best of my ability. It doesn't matter who you are playing. At this point, you just go out there and play the ball, not the player.''

Bielik and Lehnhoff have split two matches this season, with Lehnhoff winning in the Riviera All-American tournament when Bielik retired due to cramps, and Bielik winning 5-7, 6-3, 6-4 in a dual match in March.
05/24/02 21:42 EDT

Too bad for Erin Burdette :(

Congrats to both Bea and Jessica :)

Good to see Jessica again, I was wondering what has been up with her.