PDA

View Full Version : lucky loser ??

abs
May 29th, 2006, 02:26 PM
can anyone tell me why kirsten flipkens got through as a lucky loser when she was not the highest ranking player or even seeded ??
and how upset must viginie pichet losing in the 1st round to kirsten flipkens when she beat her in the last round of qualifying

Jorn
May 29th, 2006, 02:31 PM
This year they make a new rule, they draw the LL from the best 4 losers in the qualifying. (Even Flipkins was more then lucky!)

FionaZiYi
May 29th, 2006, 02:42 PM
This year they make a new rule, they draw the LL from the best 4 losers in the qualifying. (Even Flipkins was more then lucky!)

The official site originally wrote the highest-ranking four last ronud losers would play a "play-off" to achieve the priority, but they finally made a "lottery"! I think it's not fair to Romina Oprandi and some other players!

I have read an article from South Florida Sun-Sentinel website:

Roddick improving, should be ready
By Charles Bricker
South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Posted May 28 2006

PARIS · The chances of Andy Roddick playing the French Open increased dramatically on Saturday, and there was one other piece of good news for U.S. tennis here.

Kevin Kim of Newport Coast, Calif., beaten in the final round of qualifying, was drawn as one of three "lucky losers" to replace three men who had bowed out of the main draw with injuries -- Arnaud Clement of France, Agustin Calleri of Argentina and Victor Hanescu of Romania.

Roddick, holed up in his hotel where he's getting constant therapy on two ankle ligaments he strained in Dusseldorf last week, was described as very upbeat and optimistic by his good tennis friend Robby Ginepri.

"If you put a gun to my head, I'd tell you he's going to play," Ginepri said Saturday after a one-hour training session. Ginepri had visited with Roddick in the morning at his hotel and said he's looking much better. With a Tuesday start, Roddick is predicted to be fit enough to play.

Under new rules in which the names of the top four ranked players to lose in the last round of qualifying are pulled from a hat :o to determine the order for replacing main draw withdrawals, Kim, of Newport Coast, Calif., won the lottery, along with Melle Van Gemerden and Alejandro Falla.

Kim will play qualifier Julio Silva of Brazil in the first round, trying to win his first Roland Garros match after opening-round losses in 2004 and 2005.

He also makes the seventh U.S. men's player in the draw and, if Roddick and Paul Goldstein, who is also injured, don't pull out, it will tie the lowest number of American men in the French Open main draw in the Open Era, which dates to 1968.

Encore! Encore!

There was only one lucky loser in the women's tournament, to replace Mary Pierce, and it went to Kirsten Flipkins of Belgium, the fourth and final player tossed into the hat :eek: :eek: from the group of final-round losers in qualifying.

Flipkens was drawn to play Virginie Pichet, the Frenchwoman who defeated her in the final round of qualifying.

Sunday start

The first 15-day Grand Slam begins today with 12 matches scheduled on three show courts.

If the French Federation thought it could sell tickets on Sunday to get the event off to a more high-profile start, it appears to be on the right course.

The two number ones will play back to back on the Philippe Chatrier stadium court: Roger Federer vs. Diego Hartfield and Amelie Mauresmo vs. Meghann Shaughnessy.

DanWoody
May 29th, 2006, 02:51 PM
There was only one lucky loser in the women's tournament, to replace Mary Pierce, and it went to Kirsten Flipkins of Belgium, the fourth and final player tossed into the hat :eek: :eek: from the group of final-round losers in qualifying.

Flipkens was drawn to play Virginie Pichet, the Frenchwoman who defeated her in the final round of qualifying.
Incredible! Super-lucky loser. The first one, with this new rule!

abs
May 29th, 2006, 04:35 PM
thanks jorn