PDA

View Full Version : Roland Garros 1st Round: M. Sharapova (4) Defeats M. Washingthon 6-2 5-7 7-5

LostGlory
May 28th, 2006, 07:29 PM
:eek: What a game....wow Washinghton was playing out of her mind.....:eek:

Feel sorry for Mashona Though....she played so well but wasted 3 match points......

Well Done Maria, you'll have to admire the champion and the fighter in Maria she did very well to get through this match from the time she was 2-5 down in the final set until she managed to win 5 games in a row and clinch the win :yeah::bounce:

Mashona...:sad:

AJZ.
May 28th, 2006, 07:37 PM
After the first set, I almost fought this was a shoe-in win for Maria, but seeing how it turned out :eek: I'm angry TSN or RDS won't show this in Canada :sad:

Today is one of the moments I'm really proud of Maria Sharapova :) True fighter, like Elena Dementieva.

Wannabeknowitall
May 28th, 2006, 07:38 PM
Oh well. I still think Safina will get out of this quarter of the draw. Bad ankles usually don't get that much better with playing. Benesova won't be any easier on Sharapova. She has to regroup fast.

Langers
May 28th, 2006, 07:38 PM
What an incredibly gutsy performance from Sharapova. She was down 2-5 and three match points, only to comeback and steal victory from the jaws of defeat. That is why she is a champion that is why she commands respect. Well done Maria, gutsy win despite being restricted and starring down the barrel of defeat. :worship:

dearplastic
May 28th, 2006, 07:39 PM
I'm sure Maria came to the net afterward and said, "I know exactly how you feel."

Congrats.

jfk
May 28th, 2006, 07:39 PM
Good. Not a huge Sharapova fan, but I like Safina and Kuznetsova even less. Maria's the only hope in this weak quarter to prevent one of those two from making the semis.

exodus'05
May 28th, 2006, 07:40 PM
maria is such a great fighter :worship:

on the other hand, i can say thos epigeons ruined mashona's momentum....Yuri sent them

anyway it was a good match but I don't see maria getting very far playing like this though

narrisch
congrats Maria :yeah:

LostGlory
After the first set, I almost fought this was a shoe-in win for Maria, but seeing how it turned out :eek: I'm angry TSN or RDS won't show this in Canada :sad:

Today is one of the moments I'm really proud of Maria Sharapova :) True fighter, like Elena Dementieva.

It was a very good match

furrykitten
I'm so proud of Maria too, what a battler, playing so injured, what a victory :hug:

swissmisshingis
wow, congrats Maria.

Libertango
May 28th, 2006, 07:41 PM
OMG :sad: :sobbing: :banghead: :( :fiery: :sad: :hug:

Congrats Maria

Ramsey
Maria :hearts:

:inlove:
:bowdown: What fight! What heart! Simply brilliant! What a thrilling match!!!!!!!!! Mashona was playing so well, and has a fan in me, but Maria fought so hard. You could just never write her off! :lick: 2nd round against Benesova could be tough. :cool:

Just. Amazing. So proud to be her fan. :)

borisy
May 28th, 2006, 07:42 PM
and God sent the birds to save Maria...

Cashif
What a comeback by Masha:worship::bowdown::worship:

This is what differentiates Maria from the rest..She was so struggling with her injuries yet she showed her grit and determination to claim victory from jaws of defeat..KUST AWESOME MASHA:worship:

crazillo
Mashona was playing great tennis. She was the one dictating the game and not Sharapova. Considering her ankle you would expect Maria to keep the rallies even shorter, but this is exaclty where Mashona deserves respect for. It was not like Sharapova handed it to her. Therefore this match could get a real good quality in the last 1.5 sets.

I didn't like Marias "come on" after Mashonas DF at 5-5 BP Sharapova. I think something like that is not really respectful.

But nevertheless credit to her for fighting through. I don't think she will go very deep this year though...

*roddicksinme*
congrats Maria, she had me so scared!

Experimentee
Mashona, what a choke :(

Sinnet
May 28th, 2006, 07:43 PM
The occasion certainly got to Mashona, which is unfortunate, because this match was hers and she let it slip.

Nice win for Maria not to go out in the first round. And while I doubt she'll go much if any farther, atleast she doesn't have to live with going out extremely early.

Vaidisova
OMG! :eek: What a match :eek:

Congrats Maria on the hard fought win....

Mashona :sad:

Derek.
Nice job Masha! :yeah:

Won't beat Safina playing like this though, maybe even Benesova will have a chance. :unsure:

Ty-Ty
Gosh, Mashona. :sad: You played great though.

Second straight year Maria just dodged a first round RG exit.

hablo
May 28th, 2006, 07:44 PM
poor mashona, so close but no cigar :sad:

I like that pts in the fourth game of third set where she got an impossible winner and lifted her arms in the air :lol::bowdown:

The Daviator
:rolleyes:

See you in the quarters as usual Maria :o

Diesel
Sad loss for Mashona. Should have won it babe :hug:

jacobruiz
May 28th, 2006, 07:45 PM
Maria really showed her guts and heart out there.:worship: :worship: :worship: :hearts:

Good fight from Mashona as well.

federer
Finally, The Beauty of Russia Won ~ hum......what can i say against this 19 year-old girl? I probably cannot ....
Phycho ~ lol

rue
Well, I don't think that Maria will get that far in this tournament. I would be surprised if she even made it to the second week.

hablo

you could have watched it on livestream (it was better quality than during livestream in Rome) :p

silverwhite
May 28th, 2006, 07:46 PM
Although I'm not a Sharapova fan, I must say it was fantastic fighting from her. :yeah:

Summer Snow
:rolleyes: Mashona! :smash:

Krystell
Absolutely stunning comeback on that bad ankle Maria! :worship: :D

Joana
You just have to give credit to Maria - 5-2 down, MPs against her, an injury and the opponent who is playing out of her mind, and yet she managed to get herself together and really go for her shots. It wasn't Mashona choking, it was Maria stepping it up. Well done. :worship:

myxomatosis
May 28th, 2006, 07:47 PM
Hugely gutsy comeback win for Maria. Simply amazing. :worship:

bellascarlett
May 28th, 2006, 07:47 PM
OMG MASHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce: :bigclap: :woohoo: :worship:

I thought it was all over at 2-5 in the third...broke for 4-5...then the sb breaks down and this site's server was breaking down on me as well....

whaddya know... miss fighter still won the match! :bowdown:

great fighting masha! I'm so proud of you!!! but please withdraw if you feel uncomfortable with your ankle...not worth it really....oh god im so happy. just hope she didnt aggravate anything. ugh i love maria's fighting spirit! :D

mashona...:hug: nice try...

now federer needs to go away from my tv screen. i want the sharapova match!!! :fiery:

Harju.
May 28th, 2006, 07:48 PM
This was a great match. Mashona was very fiesty and some of her winners were incredible but once Maria saved the 3 MPs and broke for 5-4, she just didn't play her game anymore. Making easy errors and Maria started to play smart tennis and ate her up.

Markus
Well, I don't think that Maria will get that far in this tournament. I would be surprised if she even made it to the second week.
i don't think so. i think the opposite will occur, this win will make her stronger mentally. perhaps the perfect start with such a fight. but we will see. i predict maria will go very far in this tournament.

blumaroo
Mashona had everything going for her and fought hard. Well done.
But Masha wow, saving 3 mp and winning five games in a row. True champion. She's going to be ousted soon though but at least not in the first round.

The_Pov
May 28th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Great win Maria, although I get the feeling she'll be seriously considering whether she should continue or pull out.

madame_maria
May 28th, 2006, 07:49 PM
magnificent fighting! woohoo~ i feel like i'm on cloud #9 right now.

so awfully proud of her.

mashona played great, no discredit to her. :)

i'm so in love with Maria.

Tennisballova
May 28th, 2006, 07:50 PM
It sure was a great match to watch!! :bounce:

Maria Croft
May 28th, 2006, 07:50 PM
Maria, that was incredible fighting! :worship:

No Name Face
May 28th, 2006, 07:51 PM
so maria's still considered injured, right?

Dan23
May 28th, 2006, 07:51 PM
As proud as ever of Maria for showing her heart and coming back from nowhere. :worship: possibly answered a few critics here too

great match from Mashona, played beautiful shots at times

wateva
May 28th, 2006, 07:52 PM
:worship: maria

Wiggly
May 28th, 2006, 07:53 PM
Sharapova vs Benesova. Gonna be tough :)

Maria is injuried and struggled hard against Washington.
Iveta is in slump but have the potential to do great things on clay.

KV
May 28th, 2006, 07:54 PM
Great comeback Masha :bounce:
Mashona deserves credit too.

FrenchY52
Maria you can preparate for her elimination !
Wow Mashona she has won my heart !

Dan23
so maria's still considered injured, right?yes

3am :o im going to bed

bellascarlett
Sharapova vs Benesova. Gonna be tough :)

Maria is injuried and struggled hard against Washington.
Iveta is in slump but have the potential to do great things on clay.

Just to say I found it so funny the way you were cheering on maria so you could see iveta on tv...:rolls:...

Shoulderpova
May 28th, 2006, 07:55 PM
Maria Sharapova :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:
When she gets a feather in her ass, the shit flies high :cool:
Go Masha :bowdown:

Libertango
I feel so sad for Mashona. This truly was the best chance she's ever had in her career. :sad: :hug:

Louis Cyphre
Congrats to both girls :yeah:

janko
great match :bounce:

congrats to both players :worship:

Carsten
May 28th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Mashona :( I was really impressed by the way she played and fought, especially after 1st set where i thought she wouldn't have a chance. But she prooved me wrong and played a great Match, although it wasn't enough in the end... But she can be proud :bowdown:

but also a good fight from Maria, she played well again in the end...

Sandra.P
May 28th, 2006, 07:56 PM
It was a great match, what a shame that Washington couldn't convert those match balls!

And yes, great fight from Sharapova.

SAEKeithSerena
May 28th, 2006, 07:58 PM
:eek: What a game....wow Washinghton was playing out of her mind.....:eek:

Feel sorry for Mashona Though....she played so well but wasted 3 match points......

Well Done Maria, you'll have to admire the champion and the fighter in Maria she did very well to get through this match from the time she was 2-5 down in the final set until she managed to win 5 games in a row and clinch the win :yeah::bounce:

Mashona...:sad:

mashona had 3 match points? she must have played out of her fucking mind......maria is rusty though, hasn't played since miami. i still hope she can win this grand slam:)

Kworb
May 28th, 2006, 08:01 PM
The pigeons ruined it. They were evil demon pigeons.

ys
May 28th, 2006, 08:01 PM
on the other hand, i can say thos epigeons ruined mashona's momentum....Yuri sent them

Pigeons :worship: :lol:

First I thought it as a bad sign, interpreting it as if pigeons chose the courtside of a true claycourt pigeon at matchpoint.. :lol: But then I realised, it was a sign from above.. Mashona could not do anything right afte that, and Maria just shifted gear to the level that Mashona can't reach..

Bероника
May 28th, 2006, 08:02 PM
:sad: :sad: heartbreaking loss for Mashona :hearts: !!!! So close... I feel really bad for her right now.

LostGlory
May 28th, 2006, 08:02 PM
Yup 2 pigeons landed on Maria's side while Mashona was serving her third match point....it was hilarious....

Joana
May 28th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Pigeons :worship: :lol:

First I thought it as a bad sign, interpreting it as if pigeons chose the courtside of a true claycourt pigeon at matchpoint.. :lol: But then I realised, it was a sign from above.. Mashona could not do anything right afte that, and Maria just shifted gear to the level that Mashona can't reach..

Yes, it really was symbolic, wasn't it. :lol:

Kathrin
May 28th, 2006, 08:04 PM
:bounce: YES! Never been so happy about a win of Maria Sharapova!
I want her to be beaten by Nadia, so come on and win your games..

-sugi-
May 28th, 2006, 08:05 PM
Mashona :sad: Such a great fight and such great heart :hug:

Wintermute
May 28th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Best match of the day and totally unexpected. Mashona in the second set started playing out of her mind, way better than her ranking suggests.

And she didn't choke on her match points either. It's the quality I most admire in Sharapova: you can give her no quarter when trying to win a match point because Maria will play 110% to save them. Her focus and unshakeable determination is astonishing at times.

Feel sorry for Mashona for being so close to the biggest win of her career but congrats to both ladies for a very entertaining match. :yeah:

cometz9
May 28th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Mashona :sad: :mad: didn't think she would win but pushing Sharapova and losing 3mps is still impressive.

s_j
May 28th, 2006, 08:07 PM
That match was simply unbelievable. It's a shame it was a first round match because Mashona's ranking will not improve when it rightly should after that performance. She has shown she has the potential to be a top 20 player in my opinion and she does not deserve to be only 97 in the world.

Maria - I knew there was a reason why I loved you! :hearts: :worship: :hearts:

Fair dos you have an ankle injury and you didn't play great but - my god! - your fighting spirit is truly inspiring! I have a feeling that this match will be a one-off and Maria will be back to business in round 2 against Benesova because Maria can be erratic like that sometimes. I feel bad for Mashona though. She played way above par and deserves full credit for taking the world number 4 to 3 match points.

Maria won this match on her will to win alone and, quite frankly, I would say it is the best I've ever seen from any player. Technique, power, finesse, mental strength are great but the desire is everything. If you don't have that, you have nothing.

iine:
May 28th, 2006, 08:09 PM
What a grueling match. :eek: It was just unbelievable to see how Maria fought her way back. :yeah: Thumbs up!

silverwhite
May 28th, 2006, 08:09 PM
Many people are forgetting that Mashona has beaten Maria before? :scratch: :lol:

ivan88
May 28th, 2006, 08:11 PM
Great match:D

gmak
May 28th, 2006, 08:13 PM
masha :worship: :hearts: :hug: :hatoff: :woohoo:

wins like this make a fan feel so proud :kiss: ;) :D
what a fighter :bowdown:

Piotr'ek
The champ is back :)
Thank God she will play Iveta 2nd round so it should be quick game :)

raquel
I'm not a huge Maria fan but you can never question her fight, intensity and determination. She is a fierce competitor. Brilliant fightback.

manu32
May 28th, 2006, 08:14 PM
not a great match but so exciting .....sharapova is really injured,i think, but her attitude was great....it's was not the case today for all players i saw .......respects mademoiselle......

ys
May 28th, 2006, 08:14 PM
Maria has not played a match for nearly two months.. That she got through this was good, very good.. I think she may well perform up to some reasonable expectation - her standard RG QF showing..

Leo_DFP
May 28th, 2006, 08:15 PM
Gosh, Mashona. :sad: You played great though.

Second straight year Maria just dodged a first round RG exit.

Yes, this reminds me of Linetskaya's loss. :sad:

Wintermute
May 28th, 2006, 08:15 PM
Many people are forgetting that Mashona has beaten Maria before? :scratch: :lol:

Yeah, but that wasn't at a Grand Slam. It was New Haven.

meggz_star
May 28th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Maria:banana:. Well played match by both of them. Mashona put up a good fight against Maria.Credit to her :worship: .

crazyroberto6767
May 28th, 2006, 08:24 PM
:hysteric: But I was expecting a loss in two, so I guess this is slightly better. Would have been nice for Mashona to win her first main draw RG match against the 4th seed. But this should spell good things for Mashona for the grass and hardcourt season up ahead. Let's see if we can get back to 2004 summer form Mashona :bigclap:

Nice win Maria :yeah:

Il Primo!
May 28th, 2006, 08:25 PM
MARIA! :woohoo: :woohoo: What a fighter...what a tennis :o
Hope she will do much better in the next round!good luck darling

.david.
May 28th, 2006, 08:30 PM
Wooow what a great fight from Maria!!! Thats why i love her so much. The Match was really good. I screamd so loud when Maria hits this amazing Winner at 6-5 30-30 and after the Matchball i was jumping around on the Sofa.

But Credits to Mashona who played out of her Mind! She really impressed me and i wish her all the Best in the Future.

Maria :hearts: Good Luck against Benesova!

faboozadoo15
May 28th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Yeah, but that wasn't at a Grand Slam. It was New Haven.
exactly, and also had mashona won, she would have taken over maria's part of the draw and could have had a really good showing!

Slumpsova
May 28th, 2006, 08:32 PM
OMG :eek:
i saw SB when Mashona leads 5-3 in the final set and i thought Maria was dying but it's typical Maria to win a match like this though :shrug:

henmanhill
May 28th, 2006, 08:35 PM
I feel so sad for Mashona. This truly was the best chance she's ever had in her career. :sad: :hug:
Yeah, me too. It would have been a fabulous win for her and she was sooooo close.

LostGlory
May 28th, 2006, 08:43 PM
OMG :eek:
i saw SB when Mashona leads 5-3 in the final set and i thought Maria was dying but it's typical Maria to win a match like this though :shrug:

If you saw it a few moments before u would have seen a 2-5 score....:eek:

DarkchildSwiss
May 28th, 2006, 08:54 PM
After having seen the first set I just thought that this match will end soon and decided to turn of the TV. One hour when I turned on the TV again I was really srprised that they were still playing. One of the best clay match I have seen this year.

Congrats to both players especially Maria who was handicapped. In the end maria was the one who was mentally stronger. Mashona played great tennis but she could not convert one of her three MP's. But I really have to admit that Maria fought until the end of the match and therefore deserves to win.

nouf
May 28th, 2006, 08:57 PM
i was to this match behind maria! :-)

full of pics soon

this match was incredible! :-) my heart !

Teemu
May 28th, 2006, 09:03 PM
Great match!
Congratulations Maria for a hard-fought win!
I hope the ankle is getting better..
Best of Luck for the next round, Masha! :)

hnwortman
May 28th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Maria!! Maria!! I love a fighter such as you!! I did not want to see you out of the second round and that is definately where you are. You are a fighter and I know you put out alot of effort in that game. WHOOOO HOOO AVE MARIA!!

Meeek
May 28th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Glad this thread doesn't have absurt huge pictures that make pc's go psycho :rolleyes:

Mashona, Mashona!!! What an amazing fight you put up there, great spirit! Enormous pleasure to watch :worship: Too bad you couldn't finish it off. Still, amazing play! :yeah:

~Carsten~
May 28th, 2006, 09:14 PM
what a Match!
Congrats to Wshington! She played really great!

COngrats to Masha! her fight was so great! :)

serenafan08
May 28th, 2006, 09:15 PM
Matches like these define a career. It took a lot of guts and determination from Maria to come back and pull this one out - and given the fact that she was fighting an injury makes it even more incredible. Well done. :yeah:

roooobert
May 28th, 2006, 09:18 PM
ohhhh, too bad mashona.. you really deserved it!! I was really in to the match and its so disspointing to see the player u cheer for lose.. i hope i dont have to feel this again, when venus plays.. grand slams is really tricky

I'm soooo impressed of maria sharpova, she is defentily one of the strongest players mentally, and i think she will play better and better in the tournamnet.. i just hope she doesnt win the thing.. but she is a great fighter and fun to watch, even if i often want her to lose

the cat
May 28th, 2006, 09:33 PM
That was a good comeback win for Masha. But she really needed to win this match in straight sets to avoid overworking her injured right ankle. I hope she's okay for the second round.

And damn ESPN2 for not showing Maria's match live. :fiery: They could have shown Federer's and Mauresmo's taped matches after Masha's live live. But no, the ESPN2 morons want to bury the injured Sharapova a ratings earner playing live tennis in a tough match for taped matches of players in Federer and Mauresmo who are very likley going a long way in Paris while Masha winning her first round match was a question mark. :rolleyes: :mad:

SAEKeithSerena
May 28th, 2006, 09:35 PM
how can you lose with three match points at 5-2?!? great job maria, loves you:)

jenny161185
May 28th, 2006, 09:38 PM
wow marias such a fighter - so intense!

Billabong
May 28th, 2006, 09:48 PM
Maria:woohoo: Keep going:bounce:!!!

RJWCapriati
May 28th, 2006, 10:00 PM
Mashona! Cannot believe you wasted 3 match points!

WhatTheDeuce
May 28th, 2006, 10:01 PM
Well fought, Maria.

DevilishAttitude
May 28th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Mashona :bigcry: :crying2: :sad: I can't believe you lost...

Mashona has always been extremely talented IMO, but for the shots she has, she doesn't have it mentally. I remember her losing to Mirza last year despite being in control for most of the match. Those 3 match points she played were not good. The 1st one was too good but the slices in the 2nd and 3rd, no no no...

I wonder if that's it for her career... :sad:

Maria's injury... well she was injured but not badly. Her movement wasn't so bad at 5-2 onwards...

I expect her to do well now though after a match like that.

UDACHi
May 28th, 2006, 10:09 PM
Oh my god, Maria. It was 6-2 3-1 last I checked. :lol:

C'mon!

RenaSlam.
May 28th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Didn't see it, but gotta give Maria credit.

Nice fighting, Maria! I gotta admit, I'd rather have Maria win the French than say Safina or Petrova :lol:. Go Maria!

RenaSlam.
May 28th, 2006, 10:14 PM
That was a good comeback win for Masha. But she really needed to win this match in straight sets to avoid overworking her injured right ankle. I hope she's okay for the second round.

And damn ESPN2 for not showing Maria's match live. :fiery: They could have shown Federer's and Mauresmo's taped matches after Masha's live live. But no, the ESPN2 morons want to bury the injured Sharapova a ratings earner playing live tennis in a tough match for taped matches of players in Federer and Mauresmo who are very likley going a long way in Paris while Masha winning her first round match was a question mark. :rolleyes: :mad:

It's not all about Maria, jackass. :o :rolleyes:

SelesFan70
May 28th, 2006, 10:14 PM
MASHONA! :(

MARIA :bowdown:

Oneofakind0490
May 28th, 2006, 10:24 PM
Shame for Mashona. She should have converted one of those points. maria is just to tough for players.

Ellery
May 28th, 2006, 10:28 PM
Mashona :bigcry:

Well done Masha!

DEETHELICK
May 28th, 2006, 10:32 PM
Saw the match and credit to both ladies. Mashona for gutting it out and never giving up, literally so close. And Maria for just fighting. Bad ankle, poor match play, but she hit 2 HUGE FH winners down 2 of the match points. Very very impressive.

Maria's mental fortitude in general is very very good.

SvetaPleaseWin.
May 28th, 2006, 10:33 PM
:sad: mash-mash (as i like to call her :) ) :sad:

congrats to maria though-she picked up her play when she needed to and never gave up

Alicia Rocks
May 28th, 2006, 10:51 PM
;:eek: Nice fight Masha :yeah:

Andy.
May 28th, 2006, 11:15 PM
Awesome fighting, grit and determination from Masha im so proud of her. But gosh good bye to my finger nails :lol:

perseus2006
May 28th, 2006, 11:19 PM
It's not all about Maria. :o :rolleyes:

What?!? Of course it is! She's the grandest thing in tennis whenever, whoever and whereever she is playing. I am glad I had this opportunity to straighten out this discussion.

KoOlMaNsEaN
May 28th, 2006, 11:50 PM
What a fighter you are Maria! down 5-2 and three match points! Mashona played the match of her life but unfortunately for her she couldn't win that last point :(

furrykitten
May 28th, 2006, 11:52 PM
What?!? Of course it is! She's the grandest thing in tennis whenever, whoever and whereever she is playing. I am glad I had this opportunity to straighten out this discussion.

You don't sound at all bitter and twisted :lol:

CoryAnnAvants#1
May 29th, 2006, 12:13 AM
I really hope Mashona can continue her good play that she showed today. She's a top 40 player in terms of talent, but she doesn't have it together upstairs and that's what ultimately hinders her. So inconsistent...hopefully she can keep showing this kind of tennis that brought her such a good second half of 2004 :)

I'm not a Maria fan, but those two huge forehands she hit down match point took a lot of balls. All credit to her. I wouldn't mind seeing her go deep in the tournament.

Dan23
May 29th, 2006, 01:11 AM
Maria won this match on her will to win alone and, quite frankly, I would say it is the best I've ever seen from any player. Technique, power, finesse, mental strength are great but the desire is everything. If you don't have that, you have nothing.
:cool:

Dan23
May 29th, 2006, 01:12 AM
It's not all about Maria, jackass. :o :rolleyes:
look at yourself before calling a nice bloke a jackass :rolleyes:

fOxYLiCiOuS
May 29th, 2006, 01:38 AM
:woohoo: Congrats Maria :eek: :hearts:

Awesome fighting!! :worship: :D

Corswandt
May 29th, 2006, 02:52 AM
The end of the second set and the beginning of the first gave me a feeling of dejŠ vu. An underdog playing out of her mind vs Masha, running and retrieving like crazy, hitting impossible winners. A setpoint decided by a lucky bounce off the net.

But the first time the Queen Tigress didn't face match points. What followed was probably the most astonishing victory since the battle of Leuthen.

This is what tennis is all about.

And to imagine I was whining elsewhere about how much RG was going to suck.

bellascarlett
May 29th, 2006, 02:57 AM
The end of the second set and the beginning of the first gave me a feeling of dejŠ vu. An underdog playing out of her mind vs Masha, running and retrieving like crazy, hitting impossible winners. A setpoint decided by a lucky bounce off the net.

But the first time the Queen Tigress didn't face match points. What followed was probably the most astonishing victory since the battle of Leuthen.

:lol:

UDACHi
May 29th, 2006, 03:42 AM

Do you like Maria?

Shoulderpova
May 29th, 2006, 05:17 AM
:worship:

morningglory
May 29th, 2006, 05:33 AM
:haha: DIVINE INTERVENTION AGAIN :yeah: means Maria is gonna win RG this year! (Wimby SF rain?)

gsm
May 29th, 2006, 05:45 AM
omg masha!!! such a fighter!!!

Sharapova's_Boy
May 29th, 2006, 05:53 AM
Maria :worship:

What an awesome fighter. :hearts:

WhatTheDeuce
May 29th, 2006, 05:56 AM
I'm actually sorta happy ESPN is playing this tomorrow to start their coverage, even if it's not live. Gotta love watching Maria fight and grunt like a maniac. :rocker2:

Sadka
May 29th, 2006, 08:42 AM
:worship: !!

Foot's Fingers
May 29th, 2006, 09:38 AM
great fight

ceiling_fan
May 29th, 2006, 09:41 AM
i didn't see this match. but what a good chance this was for mashona to break through.

did masha hit winners or mashona choke on the match pts? soz i didn't see

Dan23
May 29th, 2006, 09:56 AM
i didn't see this match. but what a good chance this was for mashona to break through.

did masha hit winners or mashona choke on the match pts? soz i didn't see
2 of the 3 were big FH winners by Maria the other was a BH miss by Mashona

Corswandt
May 29th, 2006, 02:10 PM
Do you like Maria?

Yes, verily. Her ludicrous outfits, her hystrionics, her "fight to the death" ethos, everything.

I'm beginning to think I should add a list of my favourites to my sig, like everybody else does.

I remember issuing a Public Statement in which I said I was a fan of Nicole, but it's likely virtually no one here knows that I'm a big fan of Safina.

V-MAC
May 29th, 2006, 03:03 PM
I'm still pretty much on a high after thid match :lol: The tennis Mashona produced was just unbelievable. and what an amazing fight from Maria to come back and snatch victory :eek: ;) btw, Mashona is quite hot :hearts: she should be making the Ace hot list

gary
May 29th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Masha :woohoo: :banana:
what a comeback :eek: :worship: :bowdown:
I'm so proud of you!! :worship:
good luck next round Masha :kiss: :yeah: :D

Portobello
May 29th, 2006, 05:11 PM
OMG what can i say!!

i speakless,all i can say im proud of yu,marsha :yeah: