PDA

View Full Version : Mashona Washington - what the hell is going on!!??!

V-MAC
May 28th, 2006, 06:35 PM
ok so I believe she hasn't advanced a second round in a tournament all year :o , even losing to Baltacha a few months ago, and now here she is playing top notch tennis all of a sudden :eek: As far as I remember, only last week she lost to Sprem too quite easily. This is an amazing turn around for her, ok I know Maria has some sort of ankle problem but Mashona has a great attacking game. I hope she can carry on playing like this in the future, at least herself and Maria have are providing the match of the tournament so far :worship:

iPatty
May 28th, 2006, 06:41 PM
You're right. Mashona is really playing great right now, and hopefully she can pull off the upset. :D

charmedRic
May 28th, 2006, 06:41 PM
Allez Washington!

faboozadoo15
May 28th, 2006, 06:45 PM
this match kinda reminds me of the lee waters match from australia against momo. you see the other gal competing so well and really enjoying being on the big court and wonder what it is that's keeping them from beating the easier opponents.

iPatty
May 28th, 2006, 06:47 PM
Remember that look that Maria always had on her face last year, in the U.S. Open quarterfinals against Nadia Petrova? Well she has that look again today. Hopefully, Mashona won't choke like Nadia did.

You go, Mashona! :D

Wannabeknowitall
May 28th, 2006, 06:50 PM
ok so I believe she hasn't advanced a second round in a tournament all year :o , even losing to Baltacha a few months ago, and now here she is playing top notch tennis all of a sudden :eek: As far as I remember, only last week she lost to Sprem too quite easily. This is an amazing turn around for her, ok I know Maria has some sort of ankle problem but Mashona has a great attacking game. I hope she can carry on playing like this in the future, at least herself and Maria have are providing the match of the tournament so far :worship:

I'm not trying to be rude or anything but next time could you actually look at the history between players before starting threads. A player ranking might go up and down but if the chance comes of playing someone that they have always played well against, then they will play well against them even if they're on a slump.
Mashona beat her in 04 at New Haven and then barely lost to her at Tokyo in the same year. They hit the same kind of ball and Mashona is the better mover even with her older age.

V-MAC
This match and the whole situation reminds me of Angie's match against Serena at Wimbledon last year. Angela also played amazing tennis out of nowhere but just came up short.

Sagittarius
She hasn't won yet...And I don't think she's mentally tough to win this.

Wannabeknowitall
May 28th, 2006, 06:52 PM
This match and the whole situation reminds me of Angie's match against Serena at Wimbledon last year. Angela also played amazing tennis out of nowhere but just came up short.

This isn't amazing tennis out of nowhere!
Out of all the lower ranked players, Maria has had the most troubles with Mashona during her short career as a top ranked player. They have the same styles of play, hit freely and go for the lines.

V-MAC
May 28th, 2006, 06:54 PM
I'm not trying to be rude or anything but next time could you actually look at the history between players before starting threads. A player ranking might go up and down but if the chance comes of playing someone that they have always played well against, then they will play well against them even if they're on a slump.
Mashona beat her in 04 at New Haven and then barely lost to her at Tokyo in the same year. They hit the same kind of ball and Mashona is the better mover even with her older age.

Yes I'm well aware that Mashona beat Maria before. In fact, I predicted in another thread that Mashona would upset Maria here ( don't mean to jinx her now) but I never actually expected her to play like she is now. You make it sound though like Mashona's general level is on the same par as Maria's :p

aholloway
May 28th, 2006, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by V-MAC

Yes. This result is very reminiscent of that match Serena had against Angela.

iPatty
May 28th, 2006, 06:56 PM
The thing she did in the 2-1 game was cute, after she got lucky with that squash shot. :lol:

jonny84
To be fair.......Maria is out from injury and isnt the best on clay.

MrSerenaWilliams
It's like Angela Haynes against another injured #4 seed and former Wimbledon Champ (my Rena!) I guess she's just deciding to play well today...I thought it would be over @ 5-5 in the second, but Mashona stepped up! It's good to see her play well. I know she's been struggling as of late, so I hope she pulls off the upset, not because I don't like Maria (because I do, check the sig.) but I feel so happy to see other African-American player peforming well @ slams whose last name isn't Williams. So...I mean, whatever happens, she gave it her best, and UNLIKE Haynes (although she has been going through her share of personal problems) learns from the match and uses it to get better. Maria is a TOUGH competitor, Mashona lasted a long long than I thought she would especially after losing the first set 2-6. I mean, Maria doesn't give up anything hardly ever, so I hope she just plays well to the end, and builds upon the match, whatever the outcome.
btw....its:
Sharapova-Washington* 2-6 7-5 2-2 40-40!

Philip
May 28th, 2006, 06:57 PM
go mashona :)

she really had played decent tennis in this match from a set and break down.
and really lucky too in some shots (the cross court drop on the run, she had no idea of that one :p)

go for the upset! :yeah:

Wannabeknowitall
May 28th, 2006, 06:57 PM
Yes I'm well aware that Mashona beat Maria before. In fact, I predicted in another thread that Mashona would upset Maria here ( don't mean to jinx her now) but I never actually expected her to play like she is now. You make it sound though like Mashona's general level is on the same par as Maria's :p
It seems that when Mashona plays Maria anything can happen. It's one of those pairings like Jankovic and Panova. They just have similar games and always play tight matches no matter if one is ranked in the top twenty and the other in the top two hundred.

V-MAC
May 28th, 2006, 06:58 PM

regardless, the point is that Mashona for having had such a poor season, is playing amazing tennis against Maria, she is surpassing herself. The look on the faces of her support camp would suggest this :lol:

Tennisballova
May 28th, 2006, 06:59 PM
great match so far!

Wannabeknowitall
May 28th, 2006, 07:00 PM
Mashona beat Maria when she was holding a slam championship. I think she has the mental toughness to beat Maria.

Philip
May 28th, 2006, 07:02 PM
so so many impressive shot making under pressure by mashona! :o
some of these are impossible.

very showwoman like :D

Harju.
May 28th, 2006, 07:02 PM
Mashona is very fiesty, I must say. She's retrieving shots after shots and if she can cut down her UEs and not crumble under pressure, she can win this match. So many important points where she hits feets away from the court.

iPatty
May 28th, 2006, 07:03 PM
Mashona is playing absolutely amazing! :hearts:

I've found a new player to cheer for.

Uranus
Here's what happens when you pose for photographs instead of playing or training.

honeyke
great match so far!
yeah,indeed...some amazing shots and both girls fight:)
thatīs just enjoyable :worship:

Diesel
:)

Sagittarius
SHIIIIIIIIIIIT Mashona is leading 5-2!!! :eek:

Harju.
May 28th, 2006, 07:04 PM
That running forehand winner was :worship:

MrSerenaWilliams
Sharapova-Washington* 2-6 7-5 3-2 30-15! I don't know what's going on...but I like it!

Danči Dementia
GO MASHONA GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

MH0861

Mashona won one game in that Tokyo match. ;) But yes, all their other encounters have been close.

Wannabeknowitall
Also I said Safina would make the semis of this slam in a previous post. You can probably understand why I said that. ;)

tobe
whatever...maria injured or not....mashona is playing great, and it s so much fun to watch her!!!!!

aholloway
Originally Posted by Sagittarius

Whatever, she is about to win so do like Wannabeknowitall says and kiss it, lol!

nhissan
May 28th, 2006, 07:05 PM
Here's what happens when you pose for photographs instead of playing or training.
lol

Experimentee
Mashona beat Maria on a hardcourt before, but this is clay and Mashona sucks on clay. Also Mashona's been in terrible form lately, so theres no way she should be winning against Maria, even with a slight ankle injury. This is very surprising.

hablo
she's coming up with really amazing shots :speakles::bowdown:
really agressive play (sometimes bad ues though :o)

Drake1980
I can't believe Sharapova had 2 break points to go up 3-2 and now is about to lose

VeeReeDavJCap81
May 28th, 2006, 07:06 PM
It's not over yet, we know Maria has the mental fortitude to turn matches like this around.

GoDominique
May 28th, 2006, 07:07 PM
She's playing out of her mind, that's for sure.

If she wins this, expect her to lose against whoever in the next round though, because that's what usually happens. ;)

Harju.
May 28th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Mashona beat Maria on a hardcourt before, but this is clay and Mashona sucks on clay. Also Mashona's been in terrible form lately, so theres no way she should be winning against Maria, even with a slight ankle injury. This is very surprising.

Mashona is very fiesty. She hits winners all over the place. And added to Maria's UEs, this match is loopsided. But Mashona. Wow. Some of her shots were very impressive. :worship:

Wannabeknowitall
May 28th, 2006, 07:08 PM

If she wins this, expect her to lose against whoever in the next round though, because that's what usually happens. ;)

:lol: Again probably another reason why I think Safina will make the semis. ;)

Wiggly
May 28th, 2006, 07:08 PM

Bext opponent is Iveta Benesova. She's in huge slump. :o

Philip
May 28th, 2006, 07:09 PM
well, now it gets interesting... will the missed match point come back to haunt mashona :o

Sagittarius
May 28th, 2006, 07:10 PM
If Mashona loses this match after this lead and MP I recommend retiring LOL.

Wannabeknowitall
May 28th, 2006, 07:11 PM
Isn't Mashona in one as well. May the best slumper win. Likely it would be the lefty Iveta who can play with variety given the chance. Having to deal with variety is Mashona's weakness. She can deal with just the pace of Maria's balls. When she has to play a Chanda like game to win a match, she fails.

MrSerenaWilliams
She's serving for the match at 5-3 right now...she hasn't been broken this whole third set....:)

GoDominique
Doesn't matter.

Kandarr beat Mauresmo in 2001 and lost to Tanasugarn (!!!) in the next round. :o
It's always tough to find motivation for the following match.

Leo_DFP
What happened on match point? :o

Serve it out, cutie.

Sagittarius
May 28th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Oh God...5-4 appears on the way.

Infiniti2001
May 28th, 2006, 07:12 PM
She'll fold like a cheap suit :tape:

MrSerenaWilliams
May 28th, 2006, 07:13 PM
when was the last time Maria was OUT-HIT in a match...Mashona has almost 10 more winners than Maria and she's only in single digits in the third set...that ankle must be really bad. I don't think she should have played....:(

Sagittarius
May 28th, 2006, 07:14 PM
MP number two!!!!

Leo_DFP
OMG. End it. :p MP on her serve.

VeeReeDavJCap81
Doesn't matter.

Kandarr beat Mauresmo in 2001 and lost to Tanasugarn (!!!) in the next round. :o
It's always tough to find motivation for the following match.

Was that the case in your professional career??? Oh wait....that's right...

greenfunkTHREE.
Mashona Is Good! :d

Philip
Pigeons on mp :lol: :lol:

Tennisballova
LOL!!! what a timing!

Philip
May 28th, 2006, 07:15 PM
its getting tense lol.

Wannabeknowitall
May 28th, 2006, 07:17 PM
when was the last time Maria was OUT-HIT in a match...Mashona has almost 10 more winners than Maria and she's only in single digits in the third set...that ankle must be really bad. I don't think she should have played....:(
Mashona usually outhits Maria in the matches they play. Sometimes they stay in and sometimes they don't. I don't think Sharapova will make her ankle an issue when it comes to the interview. She knows that Mashona has known how to play against her for years.

Philip
May 28th, 2006, 07:17 PM
:bigcry: Mashona.

i really hope you still win. you deserve it!

Great tennis match.

Leo_DFP
May 28th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Why are these points taking so long?

GoDominique
May 28th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Was that the case in your professional career??? Oh wait....that's right...
Even you can do better.

Leo_DFP
May 28th, 2006, 07:19 PM
This scoreboard kinda sucks.

VeeReeDavJCap81
May 28th, 2006, 07:19 PM
Is my scoreboard stuck, or is there a really long rally?

Philip
May 28th, 2006, 07:20 PM
Its a shame.. i fully expect maria to take this now. most likely 7-5.

arn
May 28th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Is it raining? :scratch:

Leo_DFP
Can someone give us the score? Mine is stuck at 5-3, 40-40.

nhissan
I think Mashona didn't take her chance that's too bad

aholloway
May 28th, 2006, 07:24 PM
I am listening to Radio RG, it is 5-5 now

GoDominique
Yes, a 10 min rally. Point of the century.

Philip
score is 6-2 5-7 6-5 sharapova to serve for the match.

mashona :shurg: 3 mps????

Maria... great comeback as ever. :bowdown:

aholloway
May 28th, 2006, 07:25 PM
I am listening to Radio RG, it is 5-5 now
Mashona just double-faulted and now Mashona is serving for the match...senseless

Philip

Maria... great comeback as ever. :woship:

Philip

Maria... great comeback as ever. :woship:

aholloway
May 28th, 2006, 07:30 PM
She lost...full of dissapointment. That's sorry, 3mps???

V-MAC
May 28th, 2006, 07:32 PM

:eek:
wow this was one match that you really should watch - amazing tennis and drama :worship: Poor Mashona, tough missing out on those match points but what still what a performance from her :bounce: :bounce:

hablo
May 28th, 2006, 07:36 PM
poor mashona, so close but no cigar :sad:

I like that pts in the fourth game of third set where she got an impossible winner and lifted her arms in the air :lol::bowdown:

Diesel
May 28th, 2006, 07:38 PM
So sad.

V-MAC
May 28th, 2006, 07:45 PM
Maria though, now that was a comeback even Serena would be proud of :lol: I wonder now where does Mashona go from here, she is 30 in a few days. This result could affect her either way :shrug:

CondiLicious
May 28th, 2006, 07:45 PM
The pigeons got her!

Harju.
May 28th, 2006, 07:54 PM
The pigeons got her!
That was funny moment. Lol. But I give a big props to Mashona who dictated most of the points and outhitting Maria. After Maria saved the MPs and broke at 5-4, she just disappeared.

I think if she cuts down her UEs, she can easily crack into top 50. Some of her UEs were really ugly and stupid.

DevilishAttitude
May 28th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Mashona has the weapons. She hits very hard and when her game is on she's Top 20 potential. She also has nice variety and moves well.

But there's no in between with her game. It's either on or off. I saw the match from 6-2 3-2 and Mashona was playing much better according to the commentators. She isn't great mentally.

But that FH drop shot in the 3rd when she was at full stretch is one of the shots of the year :worship:

She's hot to :hearts:

But seriously it's all or nothing. I worry its going to be nothing from now on :sad: