PDA

View Full Version : As Martina approaches her return to her toughest tournament...

The Pro
May 28th, 2006, 12:38 PM
I want to reminisce!

Where were you/What were you doing when you heard she was coming out of retirement?

What was your reaction?

Do you think she'll win RG this time? Or ever?

My answers are -reading teletext in my living room, physically bouncing around my living room and Yes! :D

PLP
May 28th, 2006, 12:43 PM
About a week before she made the announcement, I started doing research, trying to find interviews, etc., I just had a feeling something was up, and then five days later I read about it and I was at home on my computer and I actually (this iskind of embarassing) started to cry, I was so happy! I think she will win RG over the next few years, though it may not be this year, I think she will win a few more titles over the next six months and take her rightful place in the top 5>P

Kart
May 28th, 2006, 12:54 PM
I was on this board and surprised that she was coming back. I was also a little irritated because I took her at her word originally and had defended her that her injuries prevented her from playing a full schedule.

I'm over it now and it's nice to see her back - she can win the French, IMHO it's the slam title she has the best chance at.

alex14
May 28th, 2006, 12:57 PM
i was at a perth itf wildcard event, when i heard the news...i just lost, so i was cut then my friend came up and was like hingis is returning to tennis!! i was sooo happy :D like screaming up n down...and i dno...i think she can and will win rg one day...and has a chance to do it this year...

Wannabeknowitall
May 28th, 2006, 01:12 PM
I was at home online when I read Martina was coming out of retirement. I knew it was going to happen. Playing the WTT and the WTT Smash were pretty obvious warm ups for her.
My reaction was a bit odd actually. I was dissapointed. She wanted to come back probably the year after she decided to leave the game. You don't buy an atrocious painting by the players if you don't miss something.
At Hingis' worse she would have still been in top twelve player from 2003-2005. I was dissapointed because she was likely dissapointed that she couldn't come back. She wasn't run out of the game because of power. I hate when commentators say that by the way.

I always thought Martina had another slam in her. She might even have up to four in her. This is the one she really wants though. I think this probably won't be the year but she has a chance.

No Name Face
May 28th, 2006, 01:17 PM
Dementieva will stop her cold in her tracks.

liuxuan
May 28th, 2006, 01:51 PM
i honestly think, after struggling through 2002 and seeing the way that Venus and Serena seemed to have all grandslam finals wrapped up for the rest of the decade (in 2002, it really did seem to be the most likely outcome), she probably thought, whats the point. then in 2003, with Venus and Serena still dominating when they played and with the Belgians dominating also, she probably felt the same. I think as 2004 progressed and into 2005, it made her think, actually, i could give this a go, and she did. well done to her.

I still think Hingis would rather take on 7 top russians to win a grandslam than take on 4 nobodies then have to go through, Serena then Lindsay then Venus.

Sam L
May 28th, 2006, 02:04 PM
I think Martina announcing she'd be back was a gradual process? I remember people were still doubting her comeback at the beginning of this year. I can't remember but that I was very excited.

She'lll win Roland Garros this year. It's time.

Jamie
May 28th, 2006, 02:36 PM
I only know that Martina turned me on to tennis. When she left, I rarely followed it. I stopped posting on this board. When I heard she was coming back, I started posting again and am so glad she is back. I hope she lifts the trophy this year. Welcome back Martina!!!