PDA

View Full Version : Roland Garros beginning on a Sunday

VivalaSeles
May 28th, 2006, 11:13 AM
I have just opened my TV and there's Safina vs Zvonareva live on Eurosport. Perhaps I'm getting old and my memory is not what it once was, but RG starts on a Sunday? Isn't it supposed to begin on Monday?

JDLover
May 28th, 2006, 11:16 AM
No this year they are changing it up and starting today its such a good idea I think all slams should adopt this policy gives fans an extra day to see tennis

VivalaSeles
May 28th, 2006, 11:24 AM
No this year they are changing it up and starting today its such a good idea I think all slams should adopt this policy gives fans an extra day to see tennis

Thanks for the explanation :wavey: I fell less of a lunatic now ;) Do you know why this change was made?

jonny84
May 28th, 2006, 11:55 AM
Thanks for the explanation :wavey: I fell less of a lunatic now ;) Do you know why this change was made?

Makes more money!

iPatty
May 28th, 2006, 11:58 AM
This is old news. Where've you been? :lol:

V-MAC
May 28th, 2006, 12:05 PM
it creates havoc with the schedule though :mad: we do not know what day our precious Venus is due on court :shrug:

Paneru
May 28th, 2006, 12:12 PM
Makes more money!
And that's all this is about!

Don't give two snaps about
fans seeing an extra day of tennis! :tape:

TheBoiledEgg
May 28th, 2006, 12:16 PM
you'll soon see the Saturday added as well in the near future....... thats almost guaranteed.

VivalaSeles
May 28th, 2006, 12:21 PM
This is old news. Where've you been? :lol:

I was here all the time :) I just assumed RG would begin on Monday, like it always does :)

stenen
May 28th, 2006, 12:25 PM
The main reason to make money since more people can attend matches during the sunday than a weekday. Another reason was to give some flexibility if it would happen to rain.

TheBoiledEgg
May 28th, 2006, 12:27 PM
The main reason to make money since more people can attend matches during the sunday than a weekday. Another reason was to give some flexibility if it would happen to rain.

if they really wanted to do that........ they'd have scheduled more than just 3 courts.

GoDominique
May 28th, 2006, 12:34 PM
if they really wanted to do that........ they'd have scheduled more than just 3 courts.
Yes.

TheBoiledEgg
May 28th, 2006, 12:35 PM
what i seen on TV is that most of the courts are totally empty :o

stenen
May 28th, 2006, 12:40 PM

I was just telling what the official statement of this was. Surely they could have scheduled more than 3 courts but I guess there's a reason for everything. :p
Actually they're using other courts for practise. E g Golovin is hitting with Dementieva on one of the courts they could have scheduled to play at this moment.

stenen
May 28th, 2006, 12:43 PM
what i seen on TV is that most of the courts are totally empty :o

Chatrier and Lenglen are sold out for today. Maybe people will show up by the time Mauresmo and Sharapova are playing.

tennislover
May 28th, 2006, 12:43 PM
starting on sunday????? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

TheBoiledEgg
May 28th, 2006, 12:44 PM
I was just telling what the official statement of this was. Surely they could have scheduled more than 3 courts but I guess there's a reason for everything. :p
Actually they're using other courts for practise. E g Golovin is hitting with Dementieva on one of the courts they could have scheduled to play at this moment.

we all know officials talk bullshit 99% of the time :lol:

stenen
May 28th, 2006, 12:48 PM
we all know officials talk bullshit 99% of the time :lol:

Could be like that but I think it's better to let players use those other courts for practise on a day like this. They're better than the ones than the "regular" practise courts.