PDA

View Full Version : organisers will nor rearange order of play for maria!

msharafan
May 28th, 2006, 03:56 AM
heres the article, its not looking good or fair for maria, i bet if mauresmo was injured theyd give her whatever day she wanted!

FROM ROLAND GARROS - Maria Sharapova re-injured her right ankle in practice on Friday at Roland Garros, went to the doctor and after three hours got the good news – no fracture. The very bad news is that despite requesting a Monday start, she was denied and now is scheduled to face Mashona Washington later on Sunday on Suzanne Lenglen. She’s not happy about it and there’s still a chance that she won’t play. Even if she does, she’s going to have a hard time moving and could have used another day to heal. The tournament is taking a huge risk here by asking one of the tour’s top draws to play hurt, as Washington could counterpunch her out in the first round. But its clear that the French Tennis Federation wants to put on a very good show on its inaugural “First Sunday” of this now 15 day event.

i personally think maria should pull out. and also it is a disgrace by the french open organisers, i hope A) maria pulls out right before the match leaving them with nothing!
or B) maria shows up and thrashes washington in under an hour!

Diesel
May 28th, 2006, 04:01 AM
I'll send Maria good vibes to pull out too! I'd definitely stand behind that decision, go Maria!

Ilikebigboobies
May 28th, 2006, 04:04 AM
They can't just re-arrange the order of play for 1 person!!!!

Q} Do you think they would re-arrange it if Washington was injured???
A} F**K NOOOOOOOOO!

tennisjay
May 28th, 2006, 04:04 AM
I say girl pullout, don't cause futher damage to your career I mean ankle.

UDACHi
May 28th, 2006, 04:05 AM
Oh, dear.

msharafan
May 28th, 2006, 04:08 AM

A} F**K NOOOOOOOOO!

eh yeah they do rearange matches due to requests, at the aussie open when kim was injred they gave her a late start i think. also getting this kind of treatment comes with the ranking. so youre telling me if amelie requested a late start or even nadal, they wouldnt give it to them, yeah they would, they actually risk her pulling her out, and its a risk i begrudge them to take, although its already taken.

CrossCourt~Rally
May 28th, 2006, 04:12 AM
Just give her a later start..the tourney does not want her going out 1st day 1st rd :p

hablo
I thought Maria cared more about Wimbledon anyway.
She should just withdraw, but I guess she had many pts to defend at RG :shrug:
I guess Nadia is gonna enjoy her status of Russian #1 a little longer.

Ilikebigboobies
eh yeah they do rearange matches due to requests, at the aussie open when kim was injred they gave her a late start i think. also getting this kind of treatment comes with the ranking. so youre telling me if amelie requested a late start or even nadal, they wouldnt give it to them, yeah they would, they actually risk her pulling her out, and its a risk i begrudge them to take, although its already taken.

I'm no genius when it comes to the schedule of play...
BUT requesting a late start is completely different to re-arranging the schedule!
If she requested a late start before the schedule came out she would have got it...the schedule is now out though...they can't change it!!

F-R-E-A-K
May 28th, 2006, 04:13 AM
Just withdraw Maria :) :hug:

Get ready for Wimbledon :yeah:

No Name Face
May 28th, 2006, 04:16 AM
well i guess sharapova won't make it too far...

tennisjay
Just give her a later start..the tourney does not want her going out 1st day 1st rd :p

That might happen anyway, remember the FO is the most unpredictable slam ever. Who would have ever thought Myskina would have won the French Open when she did beating both Venus and Jenn.

Solitaire
heres the article, its not looking good or fair for maria, i bet if mauresmo was injured theyd give her whatever day she wanted!

Yea cause she's French! :p If Maria can't play she can't play.

Drake1980
May 28th, 2006, 04:18 AM
I hope she plays and wins at least 1 match!

No.1Hingis
May 28th, 2006, 04:21 AM
Problem is.. who wanna to change places... ans: NO BODY...

I guess thats the big problem.. Is bad and I understand Maria position.. but.. the Slam is starting.. I guess managers dont wanna to this kind of exception gonna be the MODE for tournament.. cause everybody up 20 rank or top ten.. can ask for a similar treat..

Hope Maria does the right desicion.. pull out or stay.. I think is better if she play being well enough.. not so injured as she already is.. THE BEST FOR MARIA.. HOPE THE BEST CHOICE FOR HEALT

Pureracket
May 28th, 2006, 04:22 AM
As I'm sure LD is probably @ the AELTC right now, Maria should call and see if she could get in a few practice sessions in with her in a few days.

They're both members there, right? (I'm assuming that the champion's rule applies the membership to the women too).

msharafan
May 28th, 2006, 04:29 AM
well its most likely a matter of time now, until we hear the dreaded news, i hope shes ok for wimby!

faboozadoo15
May 28th, 2006, 04:30 AM
i really don't see what an extra day would do, but hey, a lot of tournaments budge to let their top players call their start times. i guess RG didn't want to set a bad precedent.

i bet she'll be fine, and do well here anyway, play herself into the draw like she did at AUS and USO. if it gets too bad, she should just pull out though. wimbledon is far more important to her.

PLP
May 28th, 2006, 04:43 AM
I'm no genius when it comes to the schedule of play...
BUT requesting a late start is completely different to re-arranging the schedule!
If she requested a late start before the schedule came out she would have got it...the schedule is now out though...they can't change it!!
Exactly...now that it is made they can't grant her a late start...It wouldn't matter for who or what round or whatever, once the schedule is made, that's that...unless there is rain...All Masha fans should do a raindance together, maybe that would work??

TF Chipmunk
May 28th, 2006, 04:50 AM
No offense, but they probably thought she was going to lose anyway :tape:

:bolt:

But anyway, I hope she gets better. Clay's not her forte anyway.

No.1Hingis
May 28th, 2006, 04:51 AM
Exactly...now that it is made they can't grant her a late start...It wouldn't matter for who or what round or whatever, once the schedule is made, that's that...unless there is rain...All Masha fans should do a raindance together, maybe that would work??

INTERESTING RAINDANCE THING!! (just joking :angel: )

tennisjay
May 28th, 2006, 04:57 AM

If its a raindance that they must do than they better get started and do one that will last atleast 4 or 5 day, I also would advise them to throw in some voodoo that will take out some of the top players. Remember 3 of the 4 players that stopped her from winning another Grandslam are healthy and still planning on playing. :lol:

Mateo Mathieu
May 28th, 2006, 05:04 AM
It's not a disgrace by the French Open organisers :) It's the same situation with Serena years ago at AO and she forced to pulled out.

Maria doesn't have any 'Oh, my God!' shot, anyway :p

xin_hui
May 28th, 2006, 05:06 AM

well, you use kim at the AO as an example. i dont know whether you're talking about 2004 or 2006, but em, "aussie kim"? no matter what, she's a huge crowd favourite in oz, and AO wouldnt risk having her not play

moreover the crux of sharapova's problem is: when did she request for a late start? after the OOP had come out? if that's the case, no one is going to grant it to her. if they let her have her way, who's going to play that alloted slot? no player will want to play 1 or 2 days earlier. if she had requested for a later slot BEFORE the OOP came out, she might have had an issue

lastly: she's not french ;)

faboozadoo15
May 28th, 2006, 05:11 AM
:haha: the lack of an "oh my god" shot is what saved mashona's ass from a double bagel, apparently.

i don't know what goes through some of these players minds when being interviewed. if i just got my ass smacked around the court for 45 minutes with my oppinent not even breaking a sweat or facing a break point, im not about to walk into the pressroom and say "this chick doesn't have any 'oh my God' shots."

PLP
May 28th, 2006, 05:14 AM
Interesting...I think Sharapova's forehand is an 'oh my god' shot, when it's in>P

faboozadoo15
May 28th, 2006, 05:16 AM
Interesting...I think Sharapova's forehand is an 'oh my god' shot, when it's in>P
pretty much everyone who has won a major has an "oh my god" shot or something REALLY special in her game.

drake3781
May 28th, 2006, 05:17 AM
If she withdraws, her spot goes to Oprandi?

tae04
May 28th, 2006, 05:39 AM
2bad they never rearrange the schedule. serena didn't get in 02 who knows she could have had a year slam. so no.

if they do that its unfair to past people who couldn't get any extra day

PLP
May 28th, 2006, 06:20 AM
After a bit more thought...

It was kind of stupid for the people who do scheduling to put Maria on Sunday in the first place...they must have known that she has been struggling with injuries, considering she hasn't played since Miami, so why wouldn't they give her that extra day and put Sveta or Venus as a marquee match on their first Special Sunday? It almost seems cruel, and even though I really like Maria she isn't one of my favs, so I am being pretty subjective>P

faboozadoo15
May 28th, 2006, 06:30 AM
well, you use kim at the AO as an example. i dont know whether you're talking about 2004 or 2006, but em, "aussie kim"? no matter what, she's a huge crowd favourite in oz, and AO wouldnt risk having her not play

moreover the crux of sharapova's problem is: when did she request for a late start? after the OOP had come out? if that's the case, no one is going to grant it to her. if they let her have her way, who's going to play that alloted slot? no player will want to play 1 or 2 days earlier. if she had requested for a later slot BEFORE the OOP came out, she might have had an issue

lastly: she's not french ;)
There WOULD be players who would want to play earlier and be on a showcourt, believe it or not. but that's not really the point. maria asked too late. she probably could have called her day had she asked earlier.

xin_hui
May 28th, 2006, 06:34 AM
There WOULD be players who would want to play earlier and be on a showcourt, believe it or not. but that's not really the point. maria asked too late. she probably could have called her day had she asked earlier.

yes, there would be. but would it be any top seeds? surely RG organisers arent going to put a qualifier-qualifier match on a showcourt? they'd have to ask the top seeds, and i dont know how many would be willing

yes, sharapova would have her case had she asked for it earlier

CoryAnnAvants#1
May 28th, 2006, 06:35 AM
On a clay court, Maria could beat Mashona in a full body cast. The biggest win Mashona has ever had on clay was against Bondarenko last year, who was ranked #95 at the time...there is no way there's going to be an upset here. Maria might get through uncomfortably with her injury, but she'll get through.

The early start may not be such a bad thing. She probably wouldn't play her second round until Wednesday then.

Mana
May 28th, 2006, 06:47 AM
I'm not a Sharapova fan or anything, but I would to see her go on and win the whole thing now.

Andy.
May 28th, 2006, 06:50 AM
Well if Maria would know for certain that she would be OK or well enough to play on Monday they should have given her some help. Its their own fault if they lose yet another star from the field.

faboozadoo15
May 28th, 2006, 06:51 AM
I'm not a Sharapova fan or anything, but I would to see her go on and win the whole thing now.
i'd like that too. but i'd also just love to see her hit the ball and give it a try and win a few rounds, maybe take out safina and really have a fighting chance against kuznetsova. maria has made the quarters of RG twice, and she's better this year.

1handedwonder
May 28th, 2006, 06:55 AM
I want her to withdraw!! Maybe if shes misses a few more tourneys, the press monkeys will start hounding her like they do Venus and Serena! I doubt it though. Maria is to determined to not play, she will play and she will prob win, ill say she will withdraw before her 3 rnd match

Andy.
May 28th, 2006, 07:05 AM
I want her to withdraw!! Maybe if shes misses a few more tourneys, the press monkeys will start hounding her like they do Venus and Serena! I doubt it though. Maria is to determined to not play, she will play and she will prob win, ill say she will withdraw before her 3 rnd match
That isnt really nice, fair enough to not like player but to wish bad things upon them is different :mad: :rolleyes: :fiery:

Hayato
May 28th, 2006, 07:08 AM

A} F**K NOOOOOOOOO!

exactly. She shouldn't have privilages just because she's one of the best on the court.

1handedwonder
May 28th, 2006, 07:30 AM
That isnt really nice, fair enough to not like player but to wish bad things upon them is different :mad: :rolleyes: :fiery:Although, i dont care for her personalitym or her father. I quite enjoy watching her play and i usually root for her unless she is playing an american.
If u read my comment with more scrutiny, u will see that i actually gave her a compliment and in no way did i wish any malice towards her!!!

LostGlory
May 28th, 2006, 07:31 AM
its not like your arranging a monopoly game with friends besides what difference would one game makes she is last on court anyway.....Tennis is about chance and luck and most players had their chances of bad luck and pulled out or playe\d when they were not a 100 %, if they change her today they will have to change the whole program of the tourney....what if she got injured before the 2nd round match can they change the time then.....You guys have no idea what it takes to organise big events......

powerbackhand
May 28th, 2006, 07:48 AM
claerly they are trying to open the top half EVEN MORE for amelie

Drake1980
May 28th, 2006, 07:51 AM
I think if she wins she may not play again until like Wed. or Thur. so I think she should play and then she will have some good recovery time.

morningglory
May 28th, 2006, 07:53 AM
well, I think it's Sunday morning in France already... and no news yet... I guess that means she'll try to play....

Knizzle
May 28th, 2006, 07:59 AM
She's not gonna pullout and I doubt she'll lose because of her ankle.

VeeReeDavJCap81
May 28th, 2006, 08:00 AM
She really should pull out, ankles can take FOREVER to heal if you don't take care of them properly.

Rocketta
May 28th, 2006, 08:00 AM
if they changed the day her match was on wouldn't they then also have to change her opponent's match as well considering she may not win. If she doesn't win and they moved her match later wouldn't her opponent then have a disadvantage against an oponent who played earlier? :confused:

I'm not sure if I understand. Had the order of play been published already? If it had was the tournament suppose to contact all media outlets and tell them that they changed the schedule for Sharapova or just put out a new schedule like the old one was a mistake? If the schedule hadn't been published had the players already been notified? If neither occured what is the tournament's stance on this issue about the timing?

Lulu.
May 28th, 2006, 08:12 AM
Go Mashona!!

You have a big oppertunity. Dont mess it up :mad:

morningglory
May 28th, 2006, 08:16 AM
anyone know how long until Maria's match?

jacobruiz
May 28th, 2006, 09:36 AM
anyone know how long until Maria's match?

About 7 1/2 hours. :)

marmite1
May 28th, 2006, 09:45 AM
claerly they are trying to open the top half EVEN MORE for amelie

They wouldn't need to do that as Amelie would beat Maria anyway :p

Martyś
May 28th, 2006, 09:47 AM
They wouldn't need to do that as Amelie would beat Maria anyway :p

In Paris, every score is possible when Amelie is playing :p

henmanhill
May 28th, 2006, 10:49 AM
That isnt really nice, fair enough to not like player but to wish bad things upon them is different :mad: :rolleyes: :fiery:

I agree. I'm not very keen on Maria, but I would never wish her harm. That's just nasty. :(

johnoo
May 28th, 2006, 10:51 AM
the only reason they won't move maria's match is because this is there first sunday start for the FO and its important for them to have seeds playing,BTW uk freeview viewers FO is on bbc freeview 302 ,did'nt think they were gonna start till tomorrow but I guess henman/murray playing has brought it foward.

henmanhill
May 28th, 2006, 10:52 AM
On a clay court, Maria could beat Mashona in a full body cast.
:haha:

ozfan44
May 28th, 2006, 11:49 AM
Either withdraw or play the match and stop carrying on like a spoilt biatch!

KBdoubleu
May 28th, 2006, 11:54 AM
This is not good news...I remember a similar thing happened with Serena at the Australian when she twisted her ankle angainst Shaughnessy in Sydney and asked for her match to be delayed but the organizers wouldn't let it happen and she wound up pulling out. Hopefully Maria will be ok for the first round, she brings a lot to the table.

new-york
May 28th, 2006, 12:06 PM
innocent question:

can one day make the difference for her injury?
i think she should pull out and take care for herself.
playin a slam & on clay is so demanding.
and Wimbly for her has to be the target.

FrenchY52
May 28th, 2006, 01:09 PM

A} F**K NOOOOOOOOO!

Yes, Miss Sharapova isn't the queen so that' normal ..

Summer Snow
May 28th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Oh hell to the no! I can't believe Maruia had the nerves to ask for a schedule change! If I were one of the organizers, we would a been fighting! :fiery:

Andrew..
May 28th, 2006, 01:23 PM
The slams are pretty uniform on this issue. The US Open wouldn't change the OOP for Davenport back in 2003 either.

venusfan
May 28th, 2006, 01:46 PM
If the schedule was out before she request the change then I agree with the organizers decision. We need to think about her opponent.. building up for a match then at last minuete hearing the match is posponed. If one slam wonder is injured then she needs to pull out and prepare for wimbledon.

Kart
May 28th, 2006, 01:50 PM
If Maria is not fit to play she should withdraw.

Seems simple enough to me.

lizchris
May 28th, 2006, 02:57 PM
It's not a disgrace by the French Open organisers :) It's the same situation with Serena years ago at AO and she forced to pulled out.

Thank you for pointing that out. If they didn't give special treatment to Serena, then they shouldn't give it to Maria either. If she can't play, pull out so a lucky loser can take her place.

Dan23
May 28th, 2006, 03:23 PM
From the article its pretty clear Maria requested a Monday start before the Sunday schedule was released. Im certain players have had their way in getting a later start in the past but it matters not now.

Infiniti2001
May 28th, 2006, 03:25 PM
i personally think maria should pull out. and also it is a disgrace by the french open organisers, i hope A) maria pulls out right before the match leaving them with nothing!

I usually stay out of such discussions, but this really caught my attention. :eek: Everything/one in tennis have been fair to Maria. I mean , Promoters around the world , the media ,and her sponsors have all bent over backwards to be "fair" to her. Her situation is not at all unique, so stop the whinning please :rolleyes:

Rocketta
May 28th, 2006, 03:32 PM
From the article its pretty clear Maria requested a Monday start before the Sunday schedule was released. Im certain players have had their way in getting a later start in the past but it matters not now.

maybe I missed it but where in the article posted here does it say the request came before the schedule was made and or published? :scratch:

Babolatpro880
May 28th, 2006, 03:42 PM
No, it is most definitely not clear, which is why everyone is arguing that point in the thread.

mila_mail
May 28th, 2006, 03:43 PM
i think washington can defeat maria

xin_hui
May 28th, 2006, 03:46 PM

i dont know how you came to this conclusion :shrug:

it just said she asked for a monday start, but didnt say when

Dan23
May 28th, 2006, 03:58 PM
The very bad news is that despite requesting a Monday start, she was denied and now is scheduled to face Mashona Washington later on Sunday on Suzanne Lenglen.
seems to indicate it was requested beforehand...the new problem came about on Friday giving her plenty of time to make a request before the schedule was made plus I doubt she'd bother wasting her time once the schedule had been made.....but it doesnt really matter either way

Rocketta
May 28th, 2006, 04:11 PM
seems to indicate it was requested beforehand...the new problem came about on Friday giving her plenty of time to make a request before the schedule was made plus I doubt she'd bother wasting her time once the schedule had been made.....but it doesnt really matter either way

yes it's definitely subjective but to me that sentence came across as just poorly written. For one we don't know at what time in the day did Maria re-injure herself? For all we know it could've happened late in the afternoon and therefore be early evening before Maria knew that she should ask for a later start? Do we think they didn't have the schedule done until late in the day/ early in the night for the first day of the grand slam?

now it's also possible that she practiced early, found out early and requested before the schedule was made, I just don't think we know...yet???

Wiggly
May 28th, 2006, 04:31 PM
She should withdrawn :) She doesn't want to miss Wimbledon because things turned bad in a 1st French Open round :rolleyes:

jonny84
May 28th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Shame that the organisers won't let her play another day.

tennisjay
May 28th, 2006, 04:52 PM
I think she trying to have an excuss lined up so if she lose she can blame someone else and not herself.

Martyś
May 28th, 2006, 04:54 PM
I think she trying to have an excuss lined up so if she lose she can blame someone else and not herself.

So much hate ...

tennisjay
May 28th, 2006, 04:58 PM
So much hate ...

IGNORING YOU, I'M JUST VOICING MY OPINION.

venusfan
May 28th, 2006, 05:03 PM

I could not have said it better.... I think she'll beat Mashona but injure her wrist and blame that for her 2nd round defeat.

patricio
May 28th, 2006, 06:57 PM

FROM ROLAND GARROS - Maria Sharapova re-injured her right ankle in practice on Friday at Roland Garros, went to the doctor and after three hours got the good news – no fracture. The very bad news is that despite requesting a Monday start, she was denied and now is scheduled to face Mashona Washington later on Sunday on Suzanne Lenglen. She’s not happy about it and there’s still a chance that she won’t play. Even if she does, she’s going to have a hard time moving and could have used another day to heal. The tournament is taking a huge risk here by asking one of the tour’s top draws to play hurt, as Washington could counterpunch her out in the first round. But its clear that the French Tennis Federation wants to put on a very good show on its inaugural “First Sunday” of this now 15 day event.

It worked for the French Federation, finally they have a hell of a first round match!

Crazy Canuck
May 28th, 2006, 06:59 PM
Boo fucking hoo.

Dan23
May 29th, 2006, 02:59 AM
"I put in the request Thursday. . . and after the MRI (on Friday), I called them and I asked them if I could play later,'' Sharapova said after she scrambled past American Mashona Washington 6-2 5-7 7-5.

"The answer was, 'You're playing Sunday fourth match'.
now its clear

Rocketta
May 29th, 2006, 03:13 AM
now its clear

that is about as clear as mud. :lol:

What request did she put in Thursday? If it was to play later why did she call and request again on Friday after MRI if she requested on Thursday? :scratch: Wouldn't she just call to find out her placement on Friday if she had already requested it? Still muddy to me unless there's more to this quote that would clear it up? :scratch:

Dan23
May 29th, 2006, 03:31 AM
:lol: ok

The No.4 seed was forced to play on the opening day of the clay-court grand slam despite requesting a late start after aggravating a right ankle injury in training.

But with organisers keen to put their more marketable players on court in what was the first Sunday start (European time) at a grand slam, the Russian was left with no choice.

"I put in the request Thursday. . . and after the MRI (on Friday), I called them and I asked them if I could play later,'' Sharapova said after she scrambled past American Mashona Washington 6-2 5-7 7-5.

"The answer was, 'You're playing Sunday fourth match'.

its just clears up the question about when the request was made....no biggie, its over now

morningglory
May 29th, 2006, 05:48 AM
Heaven saved her when the FFT wouldn't :lol:
Doves from heaven!