PDA

View Full Version : Here's to Hoping for the Venus vs. Hingis Roland Garros Final!

Foot_Fault
May 27th, 2006, 07:11 PM
I know we are a couple weeks away, but a guy could dream. This would be Dramatic and bring the MUCH NEEDED LIFE BACK TO THE WOMENS TOUR!!!

The Oz Final was DRAB!!! Very DRAB!!! The Tour got heated in WARSAW with a cresendo in ROME only with a HOPE of CLIMAXING at ROLAND GARROS!!!

MAN!!! OOOOOHHHH...MAN!

That would be some exciting shit...regardless of who wins (hoping Venus ofcourse) but...it would definately be A BOOST and Ratings would go 5x's over. Networks DREAM!:bounce:

kiwifan
May 27th, 2006, 07:22 PM
Until Serena comes back, Chucky v Venus is the only final I want to see. :devil:

Stingray
May 27th, 2006, 08:03 PM
That would be the best final possible i reckon, with V winning 6-1, 5-7, 10-8 methinks

thelittlestelf
May 27th, 2006, 08:36 PM
omg, that would be AMAZING.

GracefulVenus
May 27th, 2006, 09:11 PM
I made the prediction in my Blog..........that's GracefulVenus's blog if you wanna take a look ;). I don't believe any of the other players on the tour are as hungry as Martina and Venus is for this title. And lets face it, when it comes to Grand Slams, they fight harder than any other player on the tour. I'm keeping an eye on D. Safina, because I think she will make a run to the Semis (love her determination), but I think Martina will def. her and meet Venus in the Final!

LH2HBH
May 27th, 2006, 09:17 PM
WOW - that would be a blockbuster!!!! Slam finals have been so boring lately!!!!

Bitter Blue Bong
May 27th, 2006, 09:17 PM
That would be the best final possible i reckon, with V winning 6-1, 5-7, 10-8 methinks

:hearts:

SJW
May 27th, 2006, 09:21 PM
hopefully it will be nothing like Rome or Warsaw.

IMPOSSIBLE
May 27th, 2006, 09:23 PM
Did Any 1 Vote 4 Venus

MrSerenaWilliams
May 27th, 2006, 09:30 PM
The most exciting finals in this past millenium have almost exclusively featured the Williams Sisters or Hingis....

2000 Wimbledon Final- VENUS d. Davenport
2001 Australian Open Final- Capriati d. HINGIS
*exception* 2001 French Open Final- Capriati d. Clijsters
2001 US Open Final- VENUS d. SERENA
2003 Australian Open Final- SERENA d. VENUS
2003 Wimbledon Final- SERENA d. VENUS
2005 Wimbledon Final- VENUS d. DAVENPORT

you could make a push for the 2004 Oz Final between Henin and Clijsters, but...it's kinda up to the individual person.

That would be such a great match...believe it or not, in all 21 matches they have played, they've NEVER met in a Grand Slam Final before....that would be a GREAT test of nerve...both fighting in their first slam final against each other for that one slam they need to further (or in Martina's case, complete) their quest for the career grand slam. RATINGS would be through the roof!

I hope it happens!

Vee should win 6-2 2-6 10-8

CJ07
May 27th, 2006, 09:34 PM
The most exciting finals in this past millenium have almost exclusively featured the Williams Sisters or Hingis....

2000 Wimbledon Final- VENUS d. Davenport
2001 Australian Open Final- Capriati d. HINGIS
*exception* 2001 French Open Final- Capriati d. Clijsters
2001 US Open Final- VENUS d. SERENA
2003 Australian Open Final- SERENA d. VENUS
2003 Wimbledon Final- SERENA d. VENUS
2005 Wimbledon Final- VENUS d. DAVENPORT

you could make a push for the 2004 Oz Final between Henin and Clijsters, but...it's kinda up to the individual person.

That would be such a great match...believe it or not, in all 21 matches they have played, they've NEVER met in a Grand Slam Final before....that would be a GREAT test of nerve...both fighting in their first slam final against each other for that one slam they need to further (or in Martina's case, complete) their quest for the career grand slam. RATINGS would be through the roof!

I hope it happens!

Vee should win 6-2 2-6 10-8
they played in the '97 Us Open Final

Fedcup
May 27th, 2006, 09:59 PM
I prefer Henin-Mauresmo.

Btw it's not all about Williams sisters, or american players you know...
I prefer to see technical all-court european players.

So no please, not a hard hitter in the final on gravel.

Geisha
May 27th, 2006, 10:17 PM
I prefer Henin-Mauresmo.

I think Henin-Hardenne/Mauresmo would provide the best quality claycourt tennis, but the drama and exciting points would belong to Hingis/Venus, for sure.

kiwifan
May 27th, 2006, 10:37 PM
I prefer Henin-Mauresmo.

Hingis is American? :retard:

SAEKeithSerena
May 27th, 2006, 11:31 PM
go venus williams

new-york
May 28th, 2006, 12:05 AM
i would not take their two previous match for a slam final.
and if Venus is in the final, i don't want the opponent to be Martina.

JulesVerne
May 28th, 2006, 12:08 AM
Hard to see either Venus or Martina reaching final.

More likely Justine, Amelie, Svetlana or Kim.

zzachtan
May 28th, 2006, 12:20 AM
That would be ultimate perfection

CanIGetAWhat
May 28th, 2006, 12:34 AM
I hope so too. I love this rivalry. This articles sums it up perfectly.

Hingis, Venus are compelling rivals

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/images/misc/bullet_sm.gifClick here for more on this story (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/tennis/2000/us_open/news/2000/09/08/on_the_court/#more) Latest: Friday September 08, 2000 09:44 PM

By Jon Wertheim, Sports Illustrated

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/tennis/2000/us_open/news/2000/09/08/on_the_court/onthecourt_lg.gif (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/tennis/2000/us_open/news/2000/09/08/on_the_court/) FLUSHING MEADOWS, N.Y. -- After wiping a gangly, giggly teenager named Venus Williams off the courts of Key Biscayne in the spring of 1997, Martina Hingis nearly tripped on a bead in the interview room. "Maybe someone should give this back to Venus," she joked, tossing the spheroid to a WTA Tour employee. So far as anyone can tell, that may have marked the opening salvo in tennis' strongest, most contoured rivalry.

Friday their compendium of memorable mano--mano throwdowns got even thicker. In three breathtaking sets that left more than 20,000 fans equally drained and exhilarated, Williams outlasted her foil 4-6, 6-3, 7-5 in the U.S. Open semifinals. Like all great matches, this one had the ebb and flow of a sine curve.

Just when it looked as though Hingis was pulling away, Venus stole the second set. Just when it looked as though Williams was pulling away, Hingis scored an early break in the third. When Hingis was two points from winning the match, Williams won the point of the year and stormed back to take the next four games. As Williams spun like a top and eventually made her way to the net after match point, she mouthed the word, "Unbelievable." Our sentiments exactly.

What makes the Hingis-Venus rivalry so special? For one, there are the obvious physical differences, the tall, lithe African-American from Compton vs. the porcelain Caucasian with the Swiss/Czech provenance. That there's been no love lost between the two doesn't hurt the storyline, either. It's not exactly a blood feud, but their post-match "handshake" -- more a random clipping of palms -- spoke volumes about the state of their relationship. Further, that neither player harbors much interest in humility creates distinct rooting interests. What tennis fan was indifferent to the outcome?

But beyond surface characteristics, the most compelling disparities, finally, are the ones on the court. Referring to boxing, someone once remarked, "Styles make fights." So, too, tennis. Hingis and Venus are both spectacular players, but they're utterly different. One zigs where the other zags. It's not merely the time-honored, power vs. finesse dichotomy -- though Venus did have 51 winners to Hingis' 13. They like different angles, they like to employ different spots on the court, they prefer different speeds, heights and spins. As Hingis confessed to me last month, "Venus tests me in a way that Lindsay [Davenport] and Serena [Williams] don't."

Venus will now move on to the final, trying to extend her winning streak to 26 matches, encompassing two Slams. She hasn't lost a match since Roland Garros, though she nearly did Friday. "I know how it feels to be close to losing," Venus said afterward. But losing outright? "That's a foreign concept and not a very accepted one," she said. For Hingis, it isn't particularly well-accepted either. She can take some consolation, though, knowing that among all great rivalries, the winners and losers invariably swap roles.

Half volleys

In the other, less breathtaking semifinal, Davenport was leading Elena Dementieva 6-2, 5-2 and 40-0. Rarely perceived as a player who tightens when the pressure's on, Davenport had to go to a tiebreaker to win the second set. ... Nice week for Lleyton Hewitt. Not only will he play Pete Sampras for a spot in the men's final, but he and partner Max Mirnyi took the men's doubles trophy Friday. ... Serena Williams is back in Florida, getting treatment on her left big toe. ... The inimitable Goran Ivanisevic may have lost more than a week ago, but he was still around the courts, presumably practicing before the Olympics.

Sports Illustrated staff writer Jon Wertheim will file daily reports from the Open.

Hingie
May 28th, 2006, 12:34 AM
Firstly, the ultimate scoreline would be 10-8 in the third to Marti! ;)

Also, yes these two can produce high quality but Rome was a bit on and off for me. The ultimate clay court match could be produced by Marti and Henin-Hardenne - that would be magical if they both played up to their potential.

MrSerenaWilliams
May 28th, 2006, 01:33 AM
they played in the '97 Us Open Final oh yeah....forgot about that one...the match was so short....:rolleyes: thanks :wavey:

Morrissey
May 28th, 2006, 03:42 AM
It could be a Henin Vs Mauresmo rematch of the Australian Open final. However, in terms of getting the global audience excited we prefer a Venus Vs Hingis final.

Diesel
May 28th, 2006, 03:53 AM
I'd rather just go for Venus in the final. It doesn't matter her opponent.

No.1Hingis
May 28th, 2006, 04:10 AM
Martina/Justine of course I would prefer that one..

Summer Snow
May 28th, 2006, 04:13 AM
Martina/Justine of course I would prefer that one..
:o :help: Maybe you should look at the draw :sad: ;)

Buitenzorg
May 28th, 2006, 04:32 AM
Hingis d Venus 6-4 7-6
OR
Hingis d Mauresmo 6-3 6-4
OR
Justine d Venus 7-6 7-5
OR
Justine d Mauresmo 6-4 3-6 6-2

blumaroo
May 28th, 2006, 04:37 AM
No. We have already seen them twice this year on clay and I didn't think the quality was good at all.

Anna F'd Enrique
May 28th, 2006, 06:47 AM
i dont want justine or amelie in the final....go venus and martina!

mila_mail
May 28th, 2006, 06:48 AM
just hope hingis out in 1 st round, god bless.

Eldoth Kron
May 28th, 2006, 09:14 AM

:hearts: :kiss: :smooch: :bigclap:

Fedcup
May 28th, 2006, 10:37 AM
If only Serena had been healthy the last couple of years their would've been another great rivarly between Serena and Justine.

It's a pity for WTA.

Viktymise
May 28th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Id prefer lenaD beating Martina in the 4th round then advancing to a final against vee

PLP
May 28th, 2006, 11:50 AM
:armed: :armed: :armed: