PDA

View Full Version : How did Clarissa Fernandez do it?

eugreene2
May 27th, 2006, 06:06 PM
Anybody remember this girl? Somehow she got to the 2002 semifinals of RG. How did she do it? Did she beat any big names or was this one of those "everybody's injured" tournaments. Apparently Venus beat her in the semis to advance to play Serena.

E. Blackadder
May 27th, 2006, 06:07 PM
She beat Clijsters, Suarez and Dementieva along the way

cellophane
May 27th, 2006, 06:11 PM
Was Kim injured or not? I think she was, because I believe she lost to Likhovtseva at Wimbledon that year, who went on to reach the quarters...

RR-87
May 27th, 2006, 06:13 PM
Kim was really in bad form that time :(

Lena played awfull in 4th round, easily won first set but relax and lost everyting :( :(

V-MAC
May 27th, 2006, 06:16 PM
yeah Venus gave her a proper beatdown a la Williams style in the semi-finals :bounce: :bounce:

Andrew..
May 27th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Alot of it was right place, right time. Kim was injured, but Dementieva was 100% healthy. She's very talented, but she's had horrible luck with injuries. She was starting to hit nice form at RG last year before she blew out a knee again.

borisy
May 27th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Clijsters was "lightly injured" :lol:

LegionArgentina
May 27th, 2006, 06:19 PM
She has the talend but she always get injured

When she is 100% she can beat top 10 in 2 sets

E. Blackadder
May 27th, 2006, 06:25 PM
I think she even bageled Clijsters (though Kim was injured)

RR-87
May 27th, 2006, 06:27 PM
I think she even bageled Clijsters (though Kim was injured)
64 60 i think :o :help:

Andrew..
May 27th, 2006, 06:28 PM
She has the talend but she always get injured

When she is 100% she can beat top 10 in 2 sets
That's pushing it, really pushing it...

If she could stay healthy, she'd be a solid top thirty player, and probably would ever break into the top twenty. But she's a very surface oriented player, and she'd still have issues against top players.

E. Blackadder
May 27th, 2006, 06:29 PM
R128: def Bacheva 7-5 6-1
R64: def Kostanic 6-3 6-4
R32: def (4) Clijsters 6-4 6-0
R16: def (13) Dementieva 3-6 6-2 6-3
QF: def Suarez 2-6 7-6 6-1
SF: lost to (2) V Williams 1-6 4-6

and in 2003 she beat Mary Pierce 6-2 6-3 in the first round

Drake1980
May 27th, 2006, 06:30 PM
lets hope she gain come up with some more of that this year. Nice to see her back in the Main Draw!

Tripp
May 27th, 2006, 06:32 PM
Clarisa is top 40 material, really classy when on. Her slices and drop shots are deeply effective on any surface and she's the only argentinian player (the only one EVER, probably :rolleyes:) who claims grass is her favourite surface.

How did she do it that time? Playing at her best, that's how she did it. Clijsters' game didn't help too much, she wasn't exactly at her peak at the time, but a win is a win.

Good luck in Main Draw now Clari :kiss:

Andrew..
May 27th, 2006, 06:33 PM
R128: def Bacheva 7-5 6-1
R64: def Kostanic 6-3 6-4
R32: def (4) Clijsters 6-4 6-0
QF: def Suarez 2-6 7-6 6-1
SF: lost to (2) V Williams 1-6 4-6

and in 2003 she beat Mary Pierce 6-2 6-3 in the first round
It's worth noting that Pierce was a complete mess at that point.

Tripp
May 27th, 2006, 06:36 PM
It's worth noting that Pierce was a complete mess at that point.

In R2 she lost to Barbara Schett, who was another complete mess at the time :help:

tommystar
May 27th, 2006, 06:38 PM

Wasn't there some big bobble by chair umpire Jane Tabor-Harvey?
Dementieva lost her service game in the last game of the 2nd set, and SHE started serving in the 3rd, or something...(?)

LucasArg
May 27th, 2006, 06:48 PM
I just hope this year she can do better.

http://www.rolandgarros.com/images/pics/large/b_v_fernandez_20060527_01.jpg

Best of luck Clarisa!!! :hearts: :bounce: :hearts:

Tripp
May 27th, 2006, 06:49 PM
I just hope this year she can do better.

http://www.rolandgarros.com/images/pics/large/b_v_fernandez_20060527_01.jpg

Best of luck Clarisa!!! :hearts: :bounce: :hearts:

She looks so much better not being so skinny as in RG 2002 :drool:

LucasArg
May 27th, 2006, 07:06 PM
She looks so much better not being so skinny as in RG 2002 :drool:

Yeah, she looks sooo beautiful:hearts:

E. Blackadder
May 27th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Do you guys remember she only started playing tennis at 15 :eek: :eek:

Pheobo
May 27th, 2006, 07:15 PM
How old is she now? I loved watching her at RG 2002, but later she just kind of fell of the radar.

Anyways, I wish her the best luck.

drake3781
May 27th, 2006, 07:17 PM
yeah Venus gave her a proper beatdown a la Williams style in the semi-finals :bounce: :bounce:

Obnoxious and unnecessary.

Pheobo
May 27th, 2006, 07:19 PM

Don't sweat it. It's not like they're doing it as of late :p

drake3781
May 27th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Don't sweat it. It's not like they're doing it as of late :p

:p

Viktymise
May 27th, 2006, 07:27 PM
What happened to lena in that match, what an opportunity that was to get to the semi's for lena can any1 tell me what the match was like i remember just seeing the score and being like OMG lena just missed a huge opportunity, but vee got some revenge for me anyway

Hots4Safin
May 27th, 2006, 08:24 PM
Clijsters was "lightly injured" :lol:

hahahahaha.

Andrew..
May 27th, 2006, 09:23 PM
And it's really not true. She made a match of it in the second set.

**Jelica**
May 27th, 2006, 09:28 PM
Good luck to Clarisa for RG! :bounce: I guess she maybe had some good fortune, but still, to reach a semi shows consistency and she does have a real nice game when she hits :)

faboozadoo15
May 27th, 2006, 10:31 PM
Wasn't there some big bobble by chair umpire Jane Tabor-Harvey?
Dementieva lost her service game in the last game of the 2nd set, and SHE started serving in the 3rd, or something...(?)
dementieva served twice in a row. i think everyone just didn't notice. :tape: it's not really an advantage for lena to serve twice ina row anyway.

does anyone remember at what points this happened and what the score was?

Andrew..
May 27th, 2006, 10:54 PM
What happened to lena in that match, what an opportunity that was to get to the semi's for lena can any1 tell me what the match was like i remember just seeing the score and being like OMG lena just missed a huge opportunity, but vee got some revenge for me anyway
Lena sucked. Lena lost. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Highlandman
May 27th, 2006, 10:59 PM
I like her and hope she has a good result here in Paris 2006.

Hayato
May 27th, 2006, 11:02 PM
Clari is cool and top 30 material when she is on song. :cool:

In her second round qualies match she hit 21 winners and 9 unforced errors :banana:

jenny161185
May 27th, 2006, 11:33 PM
didnt she only take up tennis when she was 12 or something crazy like that!

vogus
May 27th, 2006, 11:40 PM
Clarissa has a historical pattern of doing nothing all year long and then having a good RG.

She hasn't ever really played Top 100 level since she got injured in '02.

Timariot
May 27th, 2006, 11:52 PM
dementieva served twice in a row. i think everyone just didn't notice. :tape: it's not really an advantage for lena to serve twice ina row anyway.

Clarissa probably noticed, but didn't say anything...

I remember the Venus match. CF was playing very well from the baseline, but service disparity was too much.

Hayato
May 28th, 2006, 12:07 AM

Yes, I think so!

I love the way she 'smiles' when she hits the ball too :lol: :yeah:

CrossCourt~Rally
May 28th, 2006, 12:21 AM
And it's really not true. She made a match of it in the second set.

Yeah..the 2nd set was pretty close. When Clarisa calmed down her game came back a bit :D :bounce:

LegionArgentina
May 28th, 2006, 06:28 AM
Clarisa is an all court player, she likes clay and grass, and also she play very good on hard.

She beat Kim with a bagel ˇ and Kim is a player who run and fight all the points so Clarisa play very well. And with Elena most of you said that the chair umperier . THERE ARE EXCUSES . Clarisa play realy well she has

a lot of talent, there are a few player whose has talent ,most of them has stronge strokes and they had not talent.

Good luck Clarisa :hearts:

Sorry for my english

:wavey:

E. Blackadder
May 28th, 2006, 06:37 AM

15 ;)

LucasArg
May 28th, 2006, 07:01 AM
Clarissa has a historical pattern of doing nothing all year long and then having a good RG.

She hasn't ever really played Top 100 level since she got injured in '02.

At 2002 she played very good tennis, not only at RG, why don't you look at her activity before talking soo fast:rolleyes:

It would be nice to be informed first, before posting so much non sense posts, dont you think???

She got surgery TWICE, that's why she was away from courts so much time, also when she tried to comeback after surgery, there were other injuries bothering her.
This season, she started playing again, and now she is trying to get her tennis back.
She is an example of perseverance and hard work, so please, don't DARE to speak bullshit about Clarisa Fernandez. Assshole:fiery:

LegionArgentina
May 28th, 2006, 07:08 AM
I agree with LucasArg ˇˇ

Well Done Lucas asi se hablaˇ

Hayato
May 28th, 2006, 07:12 AM
Clarisa is an all court player, she likes clay and grass, and also she play very good on hard.

She beat Kim with a bagel ˇ and Kim is a player who run and fight all the points so Clarisa play very well. And with Elena most of you said that the chair umperier . THERE ARE EXCUSES . Clarisa play realy well she has

a lot of talent, there are a few player whose has talent ,most of them has stronge strokes and they had not talent.

Good luck Clarisa :hearts:

Sorry for my english

:wavey:

:worship: :worship: That's right!

vogus
May 28th, 2006, 07:43 AM
At 2002 she played very good tennis, not only at RG, why don't you look at her activity before talking soo fast:rolleyes:

It would be nice to be informed first, before posting so much non sense posts, dont you think???

She got surgery TWICE, that's why she was away from courts so much time, also when she tried to comeback after surgery, there were other injuries bothering her.
This season, she started playing again, and now she is trying to get her tennis back.
She is an example of perseverance and hard work, so please, don't DARE to speak bullshit about Clarisa Fernandez. Assshole:fiery:

Clarissa has been playing shit for three years, you dickhead, i personally have nothing against her but your excuses are so boring. :p

LucasArg
May 28th, 2006, 07:49 AM
Clarissa has been playing shit for three years, you dickhead, i personally have nothing against her but your excuses are so boring. :p

Clarisa has barely played in 3 years unfortunately and she was brave and fight against all injuries to be back on court. Maybe you are too silly to understand what it takes to do something like that.

And I don't care if you call me dickhead or whatever you want, It is just unfortunate that some "tennis fans" like you speak about the sport as if they really know it:rolleyes:

But to remind you, You posted that she only did something at RG that year, and that is WRONG. Again, if you look at her activity, you will see she got some decent wins in all surfaces that year.

LucasArg
May 28th, 2006, 07:50 AM
I agree with LucasArg ˇˇ

Well Done Lucas asi se hablaˇ

Thanks!:wavey:

Hayato
May 28th, 2006, 07:54 AM

Lucas is not the one making excuses. It's true what he's saying. Clarisa has had some good results in the past three years but has been plagued by injury. Take Lucas' advice and look at her results. :)

LucasArg
May 28th, 2006, 07:56 AM
Lucas is not the one making excuses. It's true what he's saying. Clarisa has had some good results in the past three years but has been plagued by injury. Take Lucas' advice and look at her results. :)

Thanks Benjiboy, but you know, Vogus is too smart to read about it ;)

vogus
May 28th, 2006, 07:56 AM
But to remind you, You posted that she only did something at RG that year, and that is WRONG. Again, if you look at her activity, you will see she got some decent wins in all surfaces that year.

i'm not talking about 2002, i'm talking about SINCE 2002. Clarissa wasn't injured in the past year, yet her record has not been good until RG. That's what i'm trying to say. And here she struggled very much to beat #160 Lucie Hradecka. She will have to play much better to win matches in the MD.

LucasArg
May 28th, 2006, 07:58 AM
i'm not talking about 2002, i'm talking about SINCE 2002. Clarissa wasn't injured in the past year, yet her record has not been good until RG. That's what i'm trying to say. And here she struggled very much to beat #160 Lucie Hradecka. She will have to play much better to win matches in the MD.

You posted this:

Originally Posted by vogus

:rolleyes:

LucasArg
May 28th, 2006, 08:00 AM
Clarisa will play Emilie Loit in 1st round and it will be a tough match. Win or loose I am pleased with her results and I hope she can improve her tennis and play free of injuries for the rest of the season.

Vamos Clarisa!!! :wavey:

LegionArgentina
May 28th, 2006, 06:51 PM
Yeah LucasArg ˇˇ

You are right ˇ

Good Luck Clarisa

saab95
May 28th, 2006, 07:08 PM

agree with Lucas too :wavey: