PDA

View Full Version : Update: Kirsten got her revenge!

Allez-H
May 27th, 2006, 05:23 PM
Kirsten's picked up as a lucky loser and has to play Pichet again in the first round :D I was quite dissapointed that she lost so closly but she can get her revenge now :devil:

jonny84
May 27th, 2006, 05:25 PM
Well done to Kirsten.

But I really feel that this LL rule is stupid - by rights Opriandi should have made it in as she was the top seed of qualifying. But there we go..........

CrossCourt~Rally
May 27th, 2006, 05:29 PM
Lots of overtime so early in the Tourney...i hope its a sign of the drama to come ;) :angel:

xin_hui
May 27th, 2006, 05:33 PM
i think kirsten can win this time :yeah:

RR-87
May 27th, 2006, 05:36 PM
Get revenge Kirsten! :fiery:

Johno_uk
May 27th, 2006, 05:36 PM
Why doesn't Oprandi get it? She made the last round of q?

turt
May 27th, 2006, 05:44 PM
:lol: unexpected but well... Kick some ass Flipper! :D

konijntje_00
May 27th, 2006, 05:46 PM
Flipper had her chances in the match against Pichet, so I think she could win this time, let's hope so :yeah:

the new rule by the way, is that there's a draw between the 4 highest ranked losers in qualifying. Kirsten got out of it ...

FrenchY52
May 27th, 2006, 05:48 PM
Oh poor them ..
GO PICHETTE

turt
May 27th, 2006, 05:48 PM
Flipper had her chances in the match against Pichet, so I think she could win this time, let's hope so :yeah:

the new rule by the way, is that there's a draw between the 4 highest ranked losers in qualifying. Kirsten got out of it ...
When it's meant to be, it's meant to be! So she should win her first Main Draw match in a Grand Slam now :devil:

WhatTheDeuce
May 27th, 2006, 05:49 PM
LOL, that's messed up.

Farina Elia Fan
May 27th, 2006, 05:52 PM

A stupid rule IMO but I can see why it was brought in when players tank matches because they know there is a L/L spot

E. Blackadder
May 27th, 2006, 05:54 PM
allez kirsten get revenge :devil:

Allez-H
May 27th, 2006, 05:57 PM
From the 2006 Grand Slam Rules:

ii. Substitutions A Lucky Loser shall be inserted in the appropriate position as a substitution for any player who withdraws or is withdrawn before the first point is played in his first match. In order to be eligible for substitution, a Lucky Loser must: (1) report to the Referee and sign the Lucky Loser Sign-In Record at least one-half (Ĺ) hour prior to the start of the first match of each day, and (2) be ready to play within five (5) minutes for menís events and fifteen (15) minutes for womenís events after the announcement of the default. If the eligible Lucky Loser is not available to play, in menís events he shall be placed at the bottom of the Lucky Loser priority list for that day corresponding to the qualifying round in which he lost and in womenís events she shall forfeit her Lucky Loser status for the duration of the tournament. If the eligible player is playing in the doubles event at the time he is called as a Lucky Loser in singles, the singles match may be rescheduled so he can fill the Lucky Loser position, provided the Referee determines that such rescheduling of the singles match does not cause an unreasonable disruption in the schedule; otherwise the next available Lucky Loser shall be selected to fill such vacancy.

26iii. Vacancy During Qualifying If a Lucky Loser position should become available during the qualifying competition, it shall be treated the same as the qualifying places for placement in the main draw. iv. Vacancy After Qualifying If a Lucky Loser position becomes available after the qualifying places are drawn in the main draw, the top ranking player who signs the Lucky Loser Sign-In Record before the start of the first match will be inserted in the appropriate position. If a position becomes available during the day, the top ranking player who has signed that dayís Lucky Loser Sign-In Record will be inserted in the appropriate position at the time the withdrawal is confirmed. Unless otherwise determined by the Referee, positions becoming available after the start of play for the start of the last match of each day will be filled by the top ranking player who signs the Lucky Loser Sign-In Record on the successive day of play. When two (2) or more positions become available at the same time, during the foregoing period, the positions to be occupied by each Lucky Loser will be determined by drawing. 3. Singles Qualifying Competition The qualifying competition shall be a single elimination tournament.

E. Blackadder
May 27th, 2006, 05:59 PM
I don't see this confirmed on the official site though :confused:

Wimanna
May 27th, 2006, 06:08 PM

Her dad confirmed it on flippers forum ;)

babolat-blast
May 27th, 2006, 06:22 PM
It was also on Belgian TV news tonight!

tfannis
May 27th, 2006, 06:27 PM

She's in the draw on the official site :)

Ceze
May 27th, 2006, 06:36 PM
it's weird :p

jfk
May 27th, 2006, 06:38 PM
Oprandi got screwed. I don't mind the rule necessarily, but Oprandi lost to Vakulenko, who by all rights is a top 50 player and would have made the draw had she not been injured for so long. Whereas Flipkens lost to a player with little potential. Not that it should be taken into account by the rules, but it's still unfair.

willrock
May 27th, 2006, 07:00 PM
such a nonsense :lol:

gmak
May 27th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Oprandi got screwed. I don't mind the rule necessarily, but Oprandi lost to Vakulenko, who by all rights is a top 50 player and would have made the draw had she not been injured for so long. Whereas Flipkens lost to a player with little potential. Not that it should be taken into account by the rules, but it's still unfair.

exactly, that was the toughest matchup of the whole draw!

i'm not a fan of Oprandi but this is a joke... :o

Viktymise
May 27th, 2006, 07:29 PM
Who pulled out for her to get the LL postion was it pierce

gmak
May 27th, 2006, 07:36 PM
yes, it was Mary :sad:

controlfreak
May 27th, 2006, 07:38 PM
Yesss, Kirsten still alive!

njnetswill
May 27th, 2006, 08:09 PM
I like the rule because it means that for every final Qual matchup, the players will be fighting because there is no assurance of a LL spot.

janko
May 27th, 2006, 08:12 PM
stupid rule, Vakulenko vs Oprandi was by far better than many main draw matches... :tape:

congrats Virginie betaing Gussoni, Kremer and Flipkens in GS qualies is a great achievement, you re on your way back to best rank of 120! :bounce:

but that kind of repetition happened and I think Kirsten could take advantage of this to advance to 2nd round, but I would like Virginie to confirm

The best has to win!

charmedRic
May 27th, 2006, 08:36 PM
very interesting.

jonny84
May 27th, 2006, 08:40 PM
I like the rule because it means that for every final Qual matchup, the players will be fighting because there is no assurance of a LL spot.

That's true.

Maybe they should do it by number of games won in the last match.
That way - Kirsten is more entitled to the LL as she did win more games than Romani.

I do agree that it does stop players tanking matches. I remember when Flavia Pennetta did that in Zurich against Srebotnik as she was the top seed in qualifying and knew there was a LL. She did it after she lost the second set tiebreak.

Geoffry
May 27th, 2006, 09:46 PM
:lol: Well, good luck again Kirsten against Pichet! :D

So three Belgian women at a GS main draw again? :eek: Last time must've been when Callens still played, but she didn't qualify either at most Grand Slams, except Wimbledon. So, almost a year ago since this feat has happened. :)

turt
May 27th, 2006, 09:56 PM
Thanks to Kirsten, an all-Belgian final is still possible this year :lol:

tfannis
May 27th, 2006, 10:00 PM

mm-hmm :lol:

Libertango
May 27th, 2006, 10:14 PM
How wierd is that, that they play again round one! Ever happened before?

Louis Cyphre
May 28th, 2006, 10:56 AM

I think that this is right decision coz some of the players when they know that they will be LL dont play at 100% :(

Louis Cyphre
May 28th, 2006, 10:56 AM
:lol:

baico
May 28th, 2006, 10:57 AM
anyone knows if she is playing on monday or thuesday?

pla
May 28th, 2006, 10:57 AM
Cool, Kirsten revenge time pls ;)

Purple Rainbow
May 28th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Oprandi can thank Justin Gimelstob for this. He notoriously tanked his last qualifying match at Wimbledon last year, knowing that he would gain direct entry in the tournament as a lucky loser anyway. Well, tanking, he retired after just one game.
On the mens side, Cyril Saulnier is the victim of the new "Justin Gimelstob" rule. Incidentally, the player benefitting from the rule change, a Colombian guy named Falla, plays none other than Gimelstob in the first round!

KBdoubleu
May 28th, 2006, 10:59 AM
I think its a stupid rule too. The highest ranked player losing in the 3rd round really should get the spot in the maindraw. If they must pick out of a hat, why not include all of those who lost in the 3rd round of qualifying and not just the top 4 ranked players.

new-york
May 28th, 2006, 11:46 AM
funny.

but go Kirsten. :devil:

Allez-H
May 29th, 2006, 02:35 PM
Nice revenge Kirsten :bounce: Now give your all in round 2 :yeah:

mila_mail
May 29th, 2006, 03:09 PM
well done, keep it on!!!