PDA

View Full Version : Nicole got a Mazda MX-5 sports car in Strasbourg but she can't drive yet

getright
May 27th, 2006, 06:16 PM
Vaidisova Wins Maiden Clay Court Title in Strasbourg

STRASBOURG, France - Czech phenom Nicole Vaidisova captured her sixth career Sony Ericsson WTA Tour title on Saturday, defeating China's Peng Shuai in straight sets for the Internationaux de Strasbourg, one of two Roland Garros tune-ups this week.

Vaidisova, seeded No.2 at the Tier III event, notched her 99th career singles match victory against the unseeded Peng, 76(7) 63, but not without a fight. The Chinese led 3-0 in the first set and seemed on the verge of taking the first set tie-break, but made two errors to hand the set to Vaidisova. The Czech then took control of the match in the second set.

"I had to cut down on my errors to get back on track," said Vaidisova of the early lapse. "She had a couple of chances in the tie-break to take the set but I was luckier. We were both nervous. I was up 3-0 in the second set and I let that get away from me, but managed to pull it out in the end."

For Vaidisova, the Strasbourg run marks her first title of the year, and sixth of her career. The 17-year-old had five titles to her credit already, at Vancouver and Tashkent in 2004, and at Seoul, Tokyo [Japan Open] and Bangkok in 2005. The three most recent titles were acquired during an 18-match win streak that also took her to her first Tier II semifinal last November at Philadelphia. This is her first title on clay, however, and the timing couldn't be better.

"This is the best preparation for Roland Garros," said Vaidisova, seeded No.16 in Paris. "To win an event on the same surface is the best preparation you can have. I'm extremely happy with my week in Strasbourg and I'm going into Paris as well-prepared as I can be."

The teenager also won a Mazda MX-5 sports car for winning the title.

"I'm really happy to win the car but I don't start driving lessons for another couple of months!"

For Peng, Strasbourg still remains a great achievement despite the defeat. After a stellar 2005 and a disappointing beginning to 2006, Peng resurrected her game during this clay court season, winning consecutive matches for the first time this year two weeks ago in reaching the Prague semis, and now winning another string of matches in reaching her career-first Tour final here.

"I reached my first final and that is a good thing," Peng stated. "Now I will forget about this loss and concentrate on the Grand Slams. I start in Paris on Monday, so I have to just rest and start to focus on that. I had a good week here."

Last year, Peng was one of the fastest-rising players on the circuit, notching three Top 10 wins (including a stunner over Kim Clijsters in San Diego, the Belgian's only loss on summer hardcourts) and going as high as No.31, a record for China.

In the Internationaux de Strasbourg doubles final, top seeds Liezel Huber and Martina Navratilova downed No.3 seeds Martina Müller and Andreea Vanc, 62 76(1). Huber took home her 14th career Tour doubles title (and second of the year), while Navratilova claimed her 176th (and first of the year).

Müller also featured prominently in the singles draw, ousting top seed Patty Schnyder in straight sets in the second round, the German's first Top 10 win.

http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/newsroom/?contentid=471

Dexter
May 27th, 2006, 06:18 PM
:drive:

Thx for an article :)

TeaMMashA
May 27th, 2006, 06:18 PM
:lol: Shes lucky to have one of those though and Congrats Nicole!

FrenchY52
May 27th, 2006, 06:20 PM
http://www.auto123.com/06photo/mazda/mx52dr-.jpg

furrykitten
May 27th, 2006, 06:21 PM
I have driven them in the Gran Turismo games!.

Carmen Mairena
May 27th, 2006, 06:23 PM
A car with 4 wheels! :speakles:

Solitaire
May 27th, 2006, 06:29 PM
Killer car, Nik is def going to have fun with it

Tarlak
May 27th, 2006, 06:30 PM
She has a lot of money but WTA offers her nevertheless an expensive car... :rolleyes:

Infiniti2001
May 27th, 2006, 06:32 PM
She has a lot of money but WTA offers her nevertheless an expensive car... :rolleyes:

It's the tournament silly :rolleyes: Meanwhile she's 17, she should at least have her permint by now, no? :shrug:

Hant11
May 27th, 2006, 06:33 PM
the car

http://www.tennismedia.info/wp-content/uploads/2006/05/car1.jpg

Tarlak
May 27th, 2006, 06:41 PM
It's the tournament silly :rolleyes: Meanwhile she's 17, she should at least have her permint by now, no? :shrug:

It's her car, no ? How many money ? 0€ with a baking account full... Thanks the generosity of WTA :tape:

I don't like that cars are offered to players with the dough they have... Sorry but it's my opinion :tape:

Infiniti2001
May 27th, 2006, 06:57 PM
Start your letter writing campaign then, because there are other tournaments where the winners are awarded cars :shrug:

Tarlak
May 27th, 2006, 07:03 PM
I know, I know...

It isn't normal for me... It's like if your boss offer you a car with wages...

But it isn't important, it's like that ;)

Danči Dementia
May 27th, 2006, 07:04 PM
Congrats to Nicole hope she can do well at RG I'm sure she will hurry up Nic you have to learn to drive

Solitaire
May 27th, 2006, 07:06 PM

LOTS of players don't have a drivers license. They're lives aren't the norm and they get driven everywhere so they don't rush and get one like normal teens.

Nickk
May 27th, 2006, 07:14 PM
LOTS of players don't have a drivers license. They're lives aren't the norm and they get driven everywhere so they don't rush and get one like normal teens.

She isn't even 18, so what?

Infiniti2001
May 27th, 2006, 07:18 PM
She isn't even 18, so what?

Well you get a learner's permit at 15 here in Florida. Just last week I took my boss's son to get his. The kid was so darn happy , I can't explain :haha:

jochem
May 27th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Damn I hate my simple broke life.... I want that car so much... wel I want ANY car that drives... Maybe different colour than pink but anyways why does a 15 or whatever year old girl get an expensive car while other teens work there asses off in college and try to save some money to simply EAT... I hate it...

SloKid
May 27th, 2006, 07:29 PM
She will get a license, when she's 18 I guess, so in some 10 years. :) j/k

Well done Nicole :banana:

Pheobo
May 27th, 2006, 08:23 PM
Too bad she doesn't live in China. Then she'd have to saw off 40% of the car and give it to the government. It can be one of those "put-it-together" summer projects that you do with your dad when you're under the age restriction rule.

Then she might not be such a brat.