PDA

View Full Version : Top seeds fall in NCAA women's tournament

bis2806
May 27th, 2006, 04:41 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news?slug=ap-ncaatennis&prov=ap&type=lgns

AP - May 24, 1:55 am EDT
More Photos

STANFORD, Calif. (AP) -- Southern California's Lindsey Nelson and UCLA's Riza Zalameda, both unseeded, helped throw the NCAA women's tennis tournament wide open when they each upset a top player Friday.

Nelson knocked out top-seeded Audra Cohen of Miami 6-2, 5-7, 6-3, while Zalameda beat two-time NCAA champion Amber Liu of Stanford 5-7, 6-2, 7-5 in Friday's third round.

Only second-seeded Kristi Miller of Georgia Tech survived the series of shockers, beating Northwestern's Cristelle Grier 6-1, 6-1.

Miller is the lone player among the top eight seeds still alive. Virginia Commonwealth's Tatsiana Uvarova beat third-seeded Daniela Bercek of Duke 6-2, 6-3; California's Suzi Babos topped fourth-seeded Zuzana Zemenova of Baylor 6-3, 6-4; William & Mary's Megan Moulton-Levy beat seventh-seeded Alice Barnes of Stanford 6-3, 6-3; and Stanford's Theresa Logar beat sixth-seeded Amanda Fink of USC 6-0, 6-2.

Three seeded players remain in the men's tournament, including top-seed Benjamin Kohlloeffel, who beat San Diego's Pierrick Ysern 6-2, 6-1. Ysern was a singles finalist last year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Sixth-seeded Conor Niland of California beat Texas' Callum Beale 6-2, 6-0 and eighth-seeded Travis Helgeson of Texas topped Illinois' Ryler DeHeart 6-2, 6-4. Clemson's Clement Reix upset third-seeded Luigi D'Agord of Miami 6-2, 6-4; Virginia's Somdev Devvarman knocked off fifth-seeded Ludovic Walter of Duke 6-2, 6-3; and Stanford's KC Corkery beat seventh-seeded Arnau Brugues of Tulsa 4-6, 6-2, 6-3.

"It really just shows that seeds don't matter," Nelson said. "Everybody here is good, bottom line. At this level everybody is at the pro level. It's a matter of who has guts and heart."

Nelson missed a chance to end the three-hour match in the second set when she was up 5-3 and going for match point.

"It was heartbreaking at first but if I go into the third set moping, she would killed me," Nelson said. "I just decided I could stay out here all day. I wanted to hit a million balls."

Nelson plays childhood friend Celia Durkin of Stanford, who beat the higher ranked Zuzana Cerna of Baylor in Saturday's quarterfinals. The two played at rival high schools, but were a doubles team in junior competition.

Zalameda, who reached last year's semifinals, couldn't remember the last time she beat a player from Stanford, let alone its top player.

"I've never done very well against them, not even in juniors," she said. "The Pac-10 has such great competition and Stanford being number one in the nation, I think we have a big advantage over east coast players. Regardless, Stanford kicks butt."

Liu and Barnes were Stanford's top two players during the year. Logar played No. 3 and Durkin usually played No. 6.

"It's somewhat disappointing but that doesn't take away from the team championship," Barnes said. "That's the most important thing."

Kohlloeffel and Niland are the top seeds left in the men's tournament and they meet in Saturday's quarterfinals.

"It's a new match and a new dynamic," said Niland, who beat Kohlloeffel in straight sets twice during the regular season. "There's more riding on this for both of us. You have to play your best game to beat him. My best match of the week was today."

Niland brings a 26-2 singles record into the match, while Kohlloeffel stands at 44-4.