PDA

View Full Version : Shriver: Henin-Hardenne will be reminded about Australian final

tennisIlove09
May 27th, 2006, 01:17 AM
Henin-Hardenne will be reminded about Australian final

http://espn-att.starwave.com/i/columnists/Shriver_Pam_55.jpg (http://x.go.com/cgi/x.pl?goto=http://search.espn.go.com/keyword/search?searchString=pam_shriver&name=SEARCH_m_archive&srvc=sz)
By Pam Shriver
Special to ESPN.com
Archive (http://x.go.com/cgi/x.pl?goto=http://search.espn.go.com/keyword/search?searchString=pam_shriver&name=SEARCH_m_archive&srvc=sz)
http://adsatt.espn.go.com/ad/sponsors/ESPN_In_House_Marketing/Apr_2006/espn-146x46-0014.gif (http://log.go.com/log?srvc=sz&guid=2056D021-95A4-464B-A7FB-CABA60EDC72B&drop=0&addata=1332:169:229339:65&a=1&goto=http://mobile.espn.go.com/?campaign=mobile&source=ESPN_ROS_146x46_BaseballNews)

I was critical of what Justine Henin-Hardenne did in the Australian Open final -- pulling out of the match against Amelie Mauresmo in the second set because of stomach pains. My respect level for her disintegrated by what she did on the court as well as her stoic demeanor in the post-match news conference. I said her reputation would be tarnished forever and tennis beat writers would never let her forget this.

But, you know what? Henin-Hardenne doesn't really care what people think about her. The defending French Open champion, Henin-Hardenne is not here to win a popularity contest. From her standpoint, she probably hasn't lost much sleep over this. I'm sure she feels pretty strong that she did the right thing, although most of the tennis world would disagree strongly. Especially in a major final -- really, any time in a professional tournament -- you have an obligation to complete a match unless you are compromising your health. Stomach discomfort from anti-inflammatories does not even come close, at least in my mind, to reaching that litmus test of compromising your health.

http://espn-att.starwave.com/media/ten/2006/0127/photo/g_justine_195.jpg
Ryan Pierse/Getty Images
Henin-Hardenne (right) was just the fourth player to retire in a Grand Slam final.

However, this is the same tough cookie who was able to win the 2003 U.S. Open on the same day she had to play the third set of her semifinal match against Jennifer Capriati after midnight. Even though she didn't complete the Australian Open final -- which, to me, a great competitor always would finish that match and do so fighting -- she's been the best fighter the last three years in women's tennis.

The common personality trait I see is a certain stubbornness. Henin-Hardenne felt her fate in Australia was to not win that match and she didn't feel well; whereas in other finals, her fate was to battle and fight to the end.

It actually takes a pretty strong person to walk off the court -- when he or she isn't being carried off -- and to not care what the tennis world thinks. At first, I thought it wasn't professional. Now, I think it also fairly brave because I'm sure she knew she was going to get a lot of criticism. It shows her stubborn, brave side. Despite being in a major final and disappointing the entire tennis world, she just threw in the towel. In some ways it takes a lot of nerve to do that. Most of us wouldn't have the ability to do that and stand up to the criticism.

Most of us also wouldn't have the ability to do what she did at the U.S. Open, either.

I'm sure she'll hear about it at the French Open, especially if she is on the same side of the draw as Mauresmo. I would think the French writers would bring that up, and it probably won't affect her because that's her makeup. That's just how she is.

With all that said, Henin-Hardenne has to be the favorite heading into the French. You can't put someone like Nadia Petrova as your favorite, despite the spring she's had. You can't make Mauresmo your favorite, given her history at Roland Garros. To me, you go with someone who's had some form on clay and had success at the French Open before, and Henin-Hardenne's your most successful player in the last three years.

She'll be the favorite with the oddsmakers, but I'll be surprised if she's any kind of crowd favorite. She can't get the warmest of receptions in Paris -- and not just because of what she did in Australia happened against one of France's own -- because she has a track record of a couple controversial incidents on the court that have made people uncomfortable.

While I lost of respect for what she did in January, you can't forget her successes and the fact she's won four Grand Slams. When people think of Henin-Hardenne now, they really have conflicted feelings, which they might not have had before.

ESPN tennis analyst Pam Shriver won 21 singles and 112 doubles crowns, including 22 Grand Slam titles, and was inducted into the International Tennis Hall of Fame in 2002.

hablo
May 27th, 2006, 01:19 AM
This article has already been posted.

AjdeNate!
May 27th, 2006, 01:20 AM
Allez!

Mother_Marjorie
May 27th, 2006, 02:24 AM
An Open Letter To Pam Shriver:

I guess you haven't watched tennis for the past few weeks, but at every venue Justine has played since the Australian Open, she wasn't met with jeers...just cheers.

She even played Amelie and decisively defeated her, without any outwardly emotional responses from the crowd, other than cheers.

It seems to me that your personal disdain for Justine has gotten in the way of your rational thinking. Your latest article, which is regurgitated from your original article right after the Australian Open, is more like an invitation for the French Crowd to jeer Justine. But in your perpetual ignorance, it is unlikely the French crowd will jeer a french speaking woman from Europe.

The bottom line, is that you just don't get it. Just like you could never win a grand slam singles title, you just can't accept the fact that others in the tennis world don't feel as strongly as you about an incident which has largely went forgotten and unvisited for months until your scornful rhetorical article.

Wake up, Pam. You are clearly out of touch with your "conflicted" feelings. Perhaps it has something to do with waking up every morning under the sweaty old ball sack of someone old enough to be your father. Sorry, but you have absolutely no right to throw the first stone.

Perhaps not.

Drake1980
May 27th, 2006, 02:26 AM
Best of luck Justine!!

explorer
May 27th, 2006, 02:52 AM
Go Justine!! Allez!!!

Krystell
May 27th, 2006, 03:24 AM

I guess you haven't watched tennis for the past few weeks, but at every venue Justine has played since the Australian Open, she wasn't met with jeers...just cheers.

She even played Amelie and decisively defeated her, without any outwardly emotional responses from the crowd, other than cheers.

It seems to me that your personal disdain for Justine has gotten in the way of your rational thinking. Your latest article, which is regurgitated from your original article right after the Australian Open, is more like an invitation for the French Crowd to jeer Justine. But in your perpetual ignorance, it is unlikely the French crowd will jeer a french speaking woman from Europe.

The bottom line, is that you just don't get it. Just like you could never win a grand slam singles title, you just can't accept the fact that others in the tennis world don't feel as strongly as you about an incident which has largely went forgotten and unvisited for months until your scornful rhetorical article.

Wake up, Pam. You are clearly out of touch with your "conflicted" feelings. Perhaps it has something to do with waking up every morning under the sweaty old ball sack of someone old enough to be your father. Sorry, but you have absolutely no right to throw the first stone.

Perhaps not.

:worship: Shut up,Pam, you vindictive witch

ZeroSOFInfinity
May 27th, 2006, 03:30 AM
Someone who labelled Justine a quitter and lost respect of her now have "conflicted feelings?" Give me a fucking break!!! :angry:

Justineladivine
May 27th, 2006, 10:02 AM

Perhaps not.

Must spread some reputation around before giving it to you again.
Great post, I wish you could really get Mrs Shriver to read it...

LefandePatty
May 27th, 2006, 10:06 AM
:devil:

natacha1
May 27th, 2006, 10:46 AM
:worship: go Justine :worship:

Martyś
May 27th, 2006, 10:47 AM
Allez :p

lee station
May 27th, 2006, 10:58 AM
http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/7754/2006fedcupr15ar.jpg

_Cell-chuk
May 27th, 2006, 11:26 AM
Pam Shriver, just get over it old lady.
Noone hates Justine. She hasn't lost any respect at all.

Nicjac
May 27th, 2006, 11:34 AM

Perhaps not.

Well done :worship:

smiler
May 27th, 2006, 01:20 PM
it is unlikely the French crowd will jeer a french speaking woman from Europe.

Have you ever seen RG? The French crowd will boo anyone -including their very own Frenchies! I'd be extremely suprised if JHH doesn't get jeered. I don't understand why everyone is praising you for this post, I thought it was a bit pants.

Nicjac
May 27th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Have you ever seen RG? The French crowd will boo anyone -including their very own Frenchies! I'd be extremely suprised if JHH doesn't get jeered. I don't understand why everyone is praising you for this post, I thought it was a bit pants.

Well, the last bit was a personal attack, but the same was done by Pam. Eat what you serve.

The French crowd is known to be tough - but still, a champ is a champ and as long as the champ behaves like one, he or she will get cheers from the crowd.

I wouldn't want to be Amelie in the next two weeks - but if she'd make it, she'll not just go down in history, but in all the French hearts watching it. If she doesn't - well, we know what's up for her.

Regarding Justine she is a two time champion there. Pam had that right - she is not out there to win any sympathy award. Neither are most of the other contenders. 'Wish Amelie would think like that. ;)

Rollo
May 27th, 2006, 01:44 PM
Have you ever seen RG? The French crowd will boo anyone -including their very own Frenchies! I'd be extremely suprised if JHH doesn't get jeered.

Nice post:)

If Amelie and Justine play each other you can take it to the bank Justine will get the RG treatment. Paris is NOT Amelia Island. It's not like "every venue". The French press will remind those who've forgotten Oz.

The frogs will croak in the hopes that Juju will choke:p

The good news for Henin fans is Pammy may be right about another thing-Justine doesn't (and hopefully won't) care about what others think. One reason why she is still the betting favorite to win this thing even if she's not the sentimental favorite.

fifiricci
May 27th, 2006, 01:50 PM

I agree! The writer of that post has obviously never been to a rugby union international - the French crowd ROUTINELY boos their own team if they are not considered to be trying hard enough or playing well enough! I kind of like that, personally, at least the French aren't blindly supportive - if their team is playing crap, they let the team know :devil:

Nicjac
May 27th, 2006, 01:59 PM
I agree! The writer of that post has obviously never been to a rugby union international - the French crowd ROUTINELY boos their own team if they are not considered to be trying hard enough or playing well enough! I kind of like that, personally, at least the French aren't blindly supportive - if their team is playing crap, they let the team know :devil:

You are right. Expectations are flying way above the somewhat manageable in France. But - if you please the crowd, they'll never forget you. Big choking time but huge value at the same time for the athletes. And French strangers will buy you drinks for the rest of your life if you succeed. What country does that?

Soccer world championships will be interesting as well. :tape:

Mightymirza
May 27th, 2006, 02:53 PM
yeah allez justine and get a life Shriver :rolleyes: Bad stunt to cash on AO 06..I think even those who think it was wrong on JHHs part wud be glad if these articles stop for once..Itsthe same ol story over and over...Go justine..Show u r queen of dirt..

jenny161185
May 27th, 2006, 03:15 PM
:tape: i cant believe she gets paid to write this :tape:

tennnisfannn
May 27th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Looks like Pam Shriver will be the one reminding everyone about the AO, as it is we had all forgotten about it.

Mother_Marjorie
May 27th, 2006, 04:45 PM

You obviously don't know the French Open crowd that well. They routinely hiss and boo players that complain a lot on court, irregardless if the players are right or wrong. Most notably, Hingis in '99 and Serena in 03.

Mother_Marjorie
May 27th, 2006, 04:46 PM

A bit pants???

I guess you drink the same "soured milk" Pam does on a nightly basis. :tape:

lizchris
May 27th, 2006, 04:49 PM
Pam and anyone else who is still "bothered" by Justine retiring from the AO final really need to give it a rest. For starters, it happened almost four months ago and it is apparent that Justine can beat Amelie when healthy. The FO starts tomorrow, so why can't Pam and other focus on who they think is going to win?

Mother_Marjorie
May 27th, 2006, 04:52 PM
The FO starts tomorrow, so why can't Pam and other focus on who they think is going to win?

Perhaps Pam is suffering from the same dementia as her husband, and forgot that its not January???

lizchris
May 27th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Perhaps Pam is suffering from the same dementia as her husband, and forgot that its not January???

:haha: :haha:

Allez-H
May 27th, 2006, 06:32 PM

Post of the day :rolls:

Cybelle Darkholme
May 27th, 2006, 06:33 PM
If Justine makes the final and pulls that crap like she did in Aussieland the French will nail her in the closet ass.

That woman is beyond a waste of space. Get a backbone justine and suck it up and stop trying to steal another player's moment with your drama.

Goddess. Retiring in a Grandslam Final is beyond pathetic. All she had to do was play out the few remaining games.

Mother_Marjorie
May 27th, 2006, 11:01 PM
French will nail her in the closet ass.

Any more specks of brilliance today, Cybelle????

SAEKeithSerena
May 27th, 2006, 11:29 PM
and she should be, that inconsiderate *#)#! :)

IceHock
May 27th, 2006, 11:35 PM
You obviously don't know the French Open crowd that well. They routinely hiss and boo players that complain a lot on court, irregardless if the players are right or wrong. Most notably, Hingis in '99 and Serena in 03.

serena had the right to complain!!!justine lied on national television!if she faces amelie mauresmo theres a good chance she'll get booed.she might get booed before that it just depends on what kind of mood the french crowd is in.

SAEKeithSerena
May 27th, 2006, 11:35 PM
serena had the right to complain!!!justine lied on national television!if she faces amelie mauresmo theres a good chance she'll get booed.she might get booed before that it just depends on what kind of mood the french crowd is in.

<3 your reply:worship:

cheo23
May 27th, 2006, 11:41 PM
:rolleyes:@Pam Shriver...

GO QUEEN JUSTINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :worship: :worship: :worship:

WIN THAT FRENCH OPEN.....WE LOVE U!!!!!!:hearts:

cheo23
May 27th, 2006, 11:44 PM
:haha: :haha: :haha: SO CRUEL BUT SO COOL!!!!!!!:rolls: :lol:...Keep up the AWESOME POSTS MarJenAll20!!!!!!

Mother_Marjorie
May 27th, 2006, 11:44 PM

No one is saying Serena didn't have the right to complain, or that Hingis was wrong either. The French Open crowd doesn't care...anyone that protests on-court is booed.

I'm doubtful the French Open crowd will hiss at Justine as long as Justine doesn't bitterly complain to the chair umpire.

junlee_vee
May 27th, 2006, 11:45 PM
Pam Shriver, just get over it old lady.
Noone hates Justine. She hasn't lost any respect at all.

:spit: :haha:

While I agree that the incident should be dropped and people need to get over it, to say that she hasn't lost any respect AT ALL is just down right ridiculous and stupid.

Krystell
May 27th, 2006, 11:47 PM

For the one millioneth time, Justine did not "LIE" on national television, she didn't lie about anything. Stop lying about Justine!

IceHock
May 27th, 2006, 11:52 PM
For the one millioneth time, Justine did not "LIE" on national television, she didn't lie about anything. Stop lying about Justine!

you've got to be kidding me.i'm not even gunna say what happened because everyone knows.i dont know what you would call it though if you don't call it lying??maybe dirty,wrong,unsportsmanlike.

junlee_vee
May 27th, 2006, 11:53 PM

Hmmm, let's see...

Serena was about to serve, Justine raised her hand (that EVERYONE except the ump saw) while Serena was in service motion, and she faulted. Serena said Justine raised her hand, but when asked about it...Justine said she DIDN'T raise her hand.

Yeah...she didn't lie. :rolleyes:

explorer
May 28th, 2006, 12:41 AM
Hmmm, let's see...

Serena was about to serve, Justine raised her hand (that EVERYONE except the ump saw) while Serena was in service motion, and she faulted. Serena said Justine raised her hand, but when asked about it...Justine said she DIDN'T raise her hand.

Why Serena served if she saw Justine raised her hand? Tell me how Serena could see Justine, who was on the other side of the court, during the service (note, I mean after ball toss and before her racket contacting with the ball). As long as she tossed the ball, her head is up and her eyes looking up and focused on the ball, until she hit the ball. She could see Justine's hand during the following though motion. That's why umpire didn't give Serena another first server because he didn't see any disruption of Serena's service motion therefore it's legitimate fault.

Give me an example of any top pro tennis player, after his/her ball tossing, and before their racket contact with the ball (as long as the ball leave their racket, they have no control of the ball anymore), his/her eyes are not focusing on the ball, not looking up towards the ball, but looking across the court to his/her opponent?

Now can anyone answer this question, why Serena served?

There are only three options:

1. Serena saw Justine's hand before she served, thought this was a good chance to get a service winner because her opponent wasn't ready, so she deliberately served even though she knew Justine wasn't ready. (Chance for this one is 1/3=33.3333%)

2. Serena saw Justine's hand after the ball toss and before her racket contacted with the ball, Justine's hand interrupted her service motion therefore caused the fault (Chance for this one is 1/3=33.3333%)
It's difficult for me to understand why she's not focusing on her serve but looking across the court? Unless she has another eye on her tummy. Please also note, when a player serve, the umpire watches his/her service motion. In this case, the umpire didn't find anything wrong with Serena's service motion.

3. Serena saw Justine's hand after she hit the ball and during the following through motion. She wanted to take advantage of it and got a second first serve (Chance for this one is 1/3=33.3333%)

Look, there are 66.6666% chance that Serena was wrong, only 33.3333% of chance that Justine was wrong, why you guys only blame Justine not Serena?

junlee_vee
May 28th, 2006, 04:49 AM
Why Serena served if she saw Justine raised her hand? Tell me how could Serena saw Justine, who was on the other side of the court, during the service (note, I mean after ball toss and before her racket contacting with the ball). As long as she tossed the ball, her head is up and her eyes looking up and focused on the ball, until she hit the ball. She could see Justine's hand during the following though motion. That's why umpire didn't give Serena another first server because he didn't see any disruption of Serena's service motion therefore it's legitimate fault.

Give me an example of any top pro tennis player, after his/her ball tossing, and before their racket contact with the ball (as long as the ball leave their racket, they have no control of the ball anymore), his/her eyes are not focusing on the ball, not looking up towards the ball, but looking across the court to his/her opponent?

Now can anyone answer this question, why Serena served?

There are only three options:

1. Serena saw Justine's hand before she served, thought this was a good chance to get a service winner because her opponent wasn't ready, so she deliberately served even though she knew Justine wasn't ready. (Chance for this one is 1/3=33.3333%)

2. Serena saw Justine's hand after the ball toss and before her racket contacted with the ball, Justine's hand interrupted her service motion therefore caused the fault (Chance for this one is 1/3=33.3333%)
It's difficult for me to understand why she's not focusing on her serve but looking across the court? Unless she has another eye on her tummy. Please also note, when a player serve, the umpire watches his/her service motion. In this case, the umpire didn't find anything wrong with Serena's service motion.

3. Serena saw Justine's hand after she hit the ball and during the following through motion. She wanted to take advantage of it and got a second first serve (Chance for this one is 1/3=33.3333%)

Look, there are 66.6666% chance that Serena was wrong, only 33.3333% of chance that Justine was wrong, why you guys only blame Justine not Serena?

First of all, that's not the issue at hand...the point was that Justine lied, but you did a fairly good job of dodging that. :o

If I had to pick one, it would either be 2 or 3.

explorer
May 28th, 2006, 05:12 AM
First of all, that's not the issue at hand...the point was that Justine lied, but you did a fairly good job of dodging that. :o

If it was 1 or 3, Serena is the one who lied.

Justine herself is a top player, she knows what's going on when serving. Why should Justine give Serena another first serve if she thought the service is a legitimate fault (apparently the thought of the umpire). If Serena served an ace, she would get that point despite Justine wasn't ready. Is this fair?

Krystell
May 28th, 2006, 05:15 AM
Hmmm, let's see...

GO WATCH THE REPLAY, Justine never said she did or didn't raise her hand on that court. She was never asked by the official.

Krystell
May 28th, 2006, 05:16 AM

You are the liar here, Justine never said on the court, that she didnt' raise her hand, she was never asked by the official. After the match when asked, she said she raised her hand. So shut up.

vswfan
May 28th, 2006, 05:27 AM
we all know that Justine Henin-Hardenne is totally a b****

vswfan
May 28th, 2006, 05:29 AM
GO WATCH THE REPLAY, Justine never said she did or didn't raise her hand on that court. She was never asked by the official.

did you really watch that match?
the umpire was asking her
she didnt say anything but she didnt admit

explorer
May 28th, 2006, 05:29 AM
Speaking for yourself please. You cannot represent others.

Reuchlin
May 28th, 2006, 05:32 AM
for someone who says they "don't care that much about tennis" Serena sure does a lot of crying after losses---more than anyone in the HISTORY of the SPORT. And that's coming from a FAN.

vswfan
May 28th, 2006, 05:35 AM
Speaking for yourself please. You cannot represent others.

oh i am sorry
but there was lots of tennis fans called her a b****
i dont think i am wrong

Diesel
May 28th, 2006, 05:36 AM

That she is.

But back on topic, juju won't be reminded about the AO. The French crowd will be forgiving of her if they haven't already forgotten.

explorer
May 28th, 2006, 06:13 AM
oh i am sorry
but there was lots of tennis fans called her a b****
i dont think i am wrong
You have every right to give your opinion, just as everyone has his/her own thought. It doesn't matter what your opinion is. I just think ever human being is different therefore you cannot represent others. Please don't mind if I am a bit too precise.

junlee_vee
May 28th, 2006, 06:31 AM
You are the liar here, Justine never said on the court, that she didnt' raise her hand, she was never asked by the official. After the match when asked, she said she raised her hand. So shut up.

You must be delerious! The umpire clearly questioned her about it. True, she didn't VERBALLY deny it...she just acted stupid, like she didn't know what the hell was going on. :o

Couver
May 28th, 2006, 07:41 AM
Krystell = hater + idiot, there is no point arguing

jerry yan 08
May 28th, 2006, 07:46 AM
:) :) justine henin will championship ROLAND GARROS 2006

turt
May 28th, 2006, 08:23 AM
You must be delerious! The umpire clearly questioned her about it. True, she didn't VERBALLY deny it...she just acted stupid, like she didn't know what the hell was going on. :o
... and who's to say she really knew what the hell was going on? :rolleyes:

Disaster Inn2
May 28th, 2006, 08:26 AM

Perhaps not.

OMG i like this. :kiss:

Libertango
May 28th, 2006, 08:59 AM
At the risk of being unpopular, I actually hope Justine does get booed! If Serena can get booed in her own country after her sister pulled out of Indian Wells, and if Martina gets booed for arguing line calls, then I think Justine should get booed for this (if she plays Momo). Meh. :devil: :tape:

raquel
May 28th, 2006, 03:58 PM

Regardless of the crowd's reaction, Pam also says here she'll be reminded of it by French media asking questions. I think that's a perfectly reasonable possibility they will ask her about it, given it was against Mauresmo. I don't think that was out of line of Pam to say that might happen.

Martian KC
May 28th, 2006, 04:03 PM
If Justine makes the final and pulls that crap like she did in Aussieland the French will nail her in the closet ass.

That woman is beyond a waste of space. Get a backbone justine and suck it up and stop trying to steal another player's moment with your drama.

Goddess. Retiring in a Grandslam Final is beyond pathetic. All she had to do was play out the few remaining games.

*dead* Cybelle, remember not to drink and post. :wavey:

thelittlestelf
May 28th, 2006, 04:19 PM
Didn't she have like a stomach ulcer?

Mild stomach discomfort and a stomach ulcer are kind of different.

anlavalle
May 29th, 2006, 03:07 AM
Pam and anyone else who is still "bothered" by Justine retiring from the AO final really need to give it a rest. For starters, it happened almost four months ago and it is apparent that Justine can beat Amelie when healthy. The FO starts tomorrow, so why can't Pam and other focus on who they think is going to win?

Amelie can win too Ok, and i `ll never forget what JHH do at the AO so i have no respect for her anymore

moby
May 29th, 2006, 04:17 AM
The Australian Open final thing should so be over. I doubt Amelie would prefer if Justine was at her best and played like in the semis of Berlin 2006.

As it is, health is a huge part of tennis and Justine wasn't able to stay healthy for the final and paid the price for it. I don't see how the retirement detracts from Amelie's win or Justine's character.

junlee_vee
May 29th, 2006, 04:37 AM
... and who's to say she really knew what the hell was going on? :rolleyes:

Oh come on, you cannot be that naive!

LucasArg
May 29th, 2006, 05:42 AM
I don't know what's going to happen with the french crowd towards Justine. I know she lost respect from lots of people anyway.

MrSerenaWilliams
May 29th, 2006, 07:16 AM

...I agree...look at Venus and Serena (yeah I know they're my faves, but look at my examples)

2003 Wimbledon Final-Venus had POTENTIALLY CAREER THREATENING abdominal injury, but she played ANYWAY...the WHOLE MATCH...she even left the court after the second set and CONSIDERED retiring, but for the FANS' SAKE, she came back and fought valiantly in the third set.

2004 WTA Champs Final- Serena couldn't even SERVE in the WHOLE THIRD SET...but she still managed to finish the match...(I love Maria, but the falling to her knees bit...was a bit infuriating:fiery: I mean damn bitch, you won 5 games in a row, Serena couldn't even friggin MOVE, did you think you weren't going to win?) Anyway, she fought til the end and WAS HOLDING HER STOMACH DURING THE TROPHY PRESENTATION!

-I really don't like Justine as a person, but I respect her as a player, she's immensely talented, and was incredibly fortunate to come around when she did, and be as opportunistic as she was to win those 4 slams (by whatever means she did it by). I just think that if it was me...I would have finished the match...given Amelie the satisfaction...but That's her perrogative.

Yasmine
May 29th, 2006, 07:28 AM
jeez are we gonna hear about that story over and over again at each GS in the next decade? :rolleyes: Pam should try harder on finding a subject tha actually has some interest! :o
I'm a french and Amélie fan and all I remember now is that she's the AO champion and well deserved it. period.

ZeroSOFInfinity
May 29th, 2006, 10:07 AM
Oh great... another "anti-Justine" vs "pro-Justine" war here :rolleyes:

One topic on her, and a war escalates. Another new one, and the war continues. Seriously, this is a discussion board, not a War room. So please bring this war to other places and not here. I'm really sick of seeing it over and over again and it feels like cancer to me.

Can you all get a life and continue with the journey? Please?

JulesVerne
May 29th, 2006, 10:29 AM
-I really don't like Justine as a person, but I respect her as a player, she's immensely talented, and was incredibly fortunate to come around when she did, and be as opportunistic as she was to win those 4 slams (by whatever means she did it by). I just think that if it was me...I would have finished the match...given Amelie the satisfaction...but That's her perrogative.

Was it talent or opportunity which enabled her to win 4 grand slams. 4 grand slams tends to naturally run from immense talent.

Krystell
May 29th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Hmmm, let's see...

Nope, you've got it wrong, Justine NEVER responded to Serena on court about whether she raised her hand or not. So the next time you spout off about something, make sure you have your facts right.

Krystell
May 29th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Krystell = hater + idiot, there is no point arguing

Well I guess you lack anything intelligent to say, hence your stupid barrage of insults. How about this: luna_moonstone = illiterate +immature hater so no point in arguing?

Krystell
May 29th, 2006, 11:37 AM
Oh great... another "anti-Justine" vs "pro-Justine" war here :rolleyes:

One topic on her, and a war escalates. Another new one, and the war continues. Seriously, this is a discussion board, not a War room. So please bring this war to other places and not here. I'm really sick of seeing it over and over again and it feels like cancer to me.

Can you all get a life and continue with the journey? Please?

You would rather people say nothing when someone presents Justine in an untruthful light?

faste5683
May 29th, 2006, 11:41 AM

The umpire didn't ask Justine anything because he couldn't. It's against the rules.

:wavey:

henmanhill
May 29th, 2006, 11:41 AM

Perhaps not.

It seems like a fairly pointless article to me and smacks of someone who has been paid to write something but can't think of anything to say.

Krystell
May 29th, 2006, 11:44 AM

The whole time, Serena is yelling at the umpire, and he's looking at Serena, the umpire acted like he had no clue and he really didn't spend much time asking Justine anything, she never said ANYTHING to him or Serena about what she did, so to say she "lied" on the court is not the truth because she didn't. And when she was asked after the match about what happened she told exactly what happened. End of story. The only liars here are the people that keep saying Justine "denied" raising her hand,because she didn't.

faste5683
May 29th, 2006, 11:47 AM
You would rather people say nothing when someone presents Justine in an untruthful light?

Exactly! :kiss:

"If you can't say anything nice about Juju, don't say anything at all" is my motto. :tape:

:wavey:

jes_022
May 29th, 2006, 12:40 PM
Hasn't this topic been beaten to death enough right now.
There are so much more interesting topics to talk about like....the weather.

tard~tard
May 29th, 2006, 01:17 PM
Hasn't this topic been beaten to death enough right now.

Yes, it has. :lol: But hate is a powerful emotion
and some people just can't get enough of it.

Or Pam Shriver is suffering from early signs of Alzheimer,
since she keeps repeating herself without having the
slightest clue of what she's talking about, or she just
has a bad character.

Either way, the result is the same : total incompetence.
Add to that a strong portion of jealousy for that little
Walloon girl from that tiny, small country called Belgium,
who at 23 years old has already achieved more in tennis
than Ms Shriver did in her entire career and Pam Shriver's
misery is complete.
One GS final in singles for Ms Shriver and that's it. Even
without a stomach ulcer, she couldn't win one.
And no Americans dominating women's tennis at this moment.
Oh the bitterness for the Shrivers of this world!

junlee_vee
May 30th, 2006, 05:31 AM
Seriously, this is a discussion board, not a War room.

I beg to differ, lol.

And seriously Krystell, of course she admitted AFTERWARDS...by then, it wouldn't have affected the match. Seriously, I know you're a bit delusional sometimes, but now you're just downright ridiculous. :o

vertigo
May 30th, 2006, 09:56 AM
Go Pam!!! :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Justine fans face it -- It's not as if anyone is going to just forget that final or the hand incident. Her actions are constant gold dust for the so-called anti-Justiners of this board. May it long continue....

I wonder what she'll do this month? Attack an umpire <Sandra De Jenkin>? Steal the other players rackets? ;)

turt
May 30th, 2006, 05:29 PM
:lol: The crowd was very respectful of Justine today, they cheered Justine like any other crowd...

Bitter Pam is too stupid to understand this, but Justine is loved everywhere she plays! She faced a hostile crowd only once in her carreer: in 2003, at the US Open semi-final against home-player Jennifer Capriati, but "hostile" is too strong a word, they were only supporting their fellow new-yorker...

What was she expecting? :confused:

Krystell
May 30th, 2006, 05:52 PM
:lol: The crowd was very respectful of Justine today, they cheered Justine like any other crowd...

Bitter Pam is too stupid to understand this, but Justine is loved everywhere she plays! She faced a hostile crowd only once in her carreer: in 2003, at the US Open semi-final against home-player Jennifer Capriati, but "hostile" is too strong a word, they were only supporting their fellow new-yorker...

What was she expecting? :confused:

You are right, the crowd was fine and supported Justine and clapped on her winners and good plays. Haha PAM!

Krystell
May 30th, 2006, 05:55 PM
I beg to differ, lol.

And seriously Krystell, of course she admitted AFTERWARDS...by then, it wouldn't have affected the match. Seriously, I know you're a bit delusional sometimes, but now you're just downright ridiculous. :o

Since you've just been proven on this board as reporting an incident inaccurately, I really don't think you have much of a leg to stand on in calling me "Delusional". You are evidently too delusional to watch a match and remember what happened. Either that, or you are just a liar, and calling Justine one to make yourself feel better.