PDA

View Full Version : The Lonely Life of Justine Henin-Hardenne

faste5683
May 26th, 2006, 09:39 PM
Good article by Joel Drucker on Juju:

Tennis.com

http://www.tennis.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=&type=gen&mod=Core+Pages&gid=1D55C5A92D3348E1BFE4048A5A95CE6BOne

"several years ago, the Belgian headed to the courts for a workout with Hingis (a frequent practice partner). Prior to hitting, the two threw a football, a useful tool for improving service motions. Hingis’ toss fluttered. Henin-Hardenne reared back and fired the ball as if she were John Elway rifling one over the middle."

:wavey:

GrandSlam05
May 26th, 2006, 09:51 PM
had Clijsters or Lindsay Davenport (who basically tanked the third set of the ’05 final) walked off, there likely would have been far less criticism
I enjoyed it until I read that, which was when I stopped. That was a ruthless, scathing stab in the back.

GrandSlam05
May 26th, 2006, 09:58 PM
Ok, I read the rest of it. Good article, would've rated it great if not for the cheap shot he took at Lindsay.

GoDominique
May 26th, 2006, 09:59 PM
I enjoyed it until I read that, which was when I stopped. That was a ruthless, scathing stab in the back.
No. He just describes what happened. :)

GrandSlam05
May 26th, 2006, 10:03 PM
No. He just describes what happened. :)
The comment was way out of place. If it were an article about Lindsay, I could understand it, but this was about Justine, and he deliberately set a place to take a pot shot at Davenport.

Reuchlin
May 26th, 2006, 10:06 PM
I stopped reading after this sick line:

"In her 2004 Australian Open final against her longtime rival and countrywoman Kim Clijsters, Henin-Hardenne virtually baited the chair umpire into overruling a call during a key point."

All justine did was put her fingre up.

GoDominique
May 26th, 2006, 10:08 PM
The comment was way out of place. If it were an article about Lindsay, I could understand it, but this was about Justine, and he deliberately set a place to take a pot shot at Davenport.
Well to be honest I think all writers (and everyone else) should take pot shots at Davenport's tanking habit whenever possible.

IceHock
May 26th, 2006, 10:12 PM
I stopped reading after this sick line:

"In her 2004 Australian Open final against her longtime rival and countrywoman Kim Clijsters, Henin-Hardenne virtually baited the chair umpire into overruling a call during a key point."

All justine did was put her fingre up.

actually sorry to correct you but i recall jhh kept saying that ball was out and the umpire finally overruled it,im not saying justine inflenced it or anything but she kept sayin that.

GrandSlam05
May 26th, 2006, 10:15 PM
actually sorry to correct you but i recall jhh kept saying that ball was out and the umpire finally overruled it,im not saying justine inflenced it or anything but she kept sayin that.
Still, chair umps should expect that from players. It happens all the time. No blame whatsoever should be placed on Justine.

!<blocparty>!
May 26th, 2006, 10:19 PM
Davenport tanked the final, and if she'd have retired not as much fuss would have been made. But, she wouldn't have retired.

OK article, good for the Justine quotes.

Il Primo!
May 26th, 2006, 10:23 PM
I dunno why but this woman really despresses me :unsure: she always seems unhappy,she's not a good laugh at all,it's a lil bit sad..But I hope she will do a good tourney,I'm appreciating her game and more. Good luck Juju :bounce:

Jum_p_Over
May 26th, 2006, 10:27 PM

Well he was talking about retiring rather than taking the beatdown. I think he added that to say that lindsay took her beating in the 3rd set instead of retiring, or something along those lines

Allez-H
May 26th, 2006, 10:34 PM

Dude watch the match again, Sandra De Jenken corrected the point IMMEDIATLY after it ended.

But you know Justine and Sandra are best franco evil cheating buds so :shrug:

thrust
May 26th, 2006, 10:43 PM
He also stated that the drugs Justine was taking could have caused very serious physical damage. The combination of pain, plus the pain she experienced the night before, and nervous exhaustion caused by her pain and overall condition probably caused Justine to panic and to forefit the match she knew she could not win. Who wants a player you know is injured or physically unwell to go through the motions on court and risk more injury to themselves?

Randriantastic!
May 26th, 2006, 11:31 PM
Thanks for the article, it was great.

Morrissey
May 26th, 2006, 11:34 PM
Lindsay definitely gave up in that third set against Serena she just went away mentally.

kosmikgroove
May 27th, 2006, 12:02 AM

actually, sorry to correct you, but Sandr De Jenkins overruled the point immediately after the ball landed.

justine lifted a finger to signify that it was out as she was running after the ball. In fact, Justine's back was to the umpire when she called the point, so there was no way that she influenced anything.

Justine continued to say that it was out to Clijsters, not the umpire.

Asif_Nawaz
May 27th, 2006, 01:26 AM
Clijsters might have slapped JuJu if she was close enough!

Sam L
May 27th, 2006, 01:33 AM
Poor Justine. :sad: She deserves many more slams.