PDA

View Full Version : I wonder if this statement will come back and haunt Amelie. . .

Pureracket
May 26th, 2006, 08:45 PM
. . . about M. Shaughnessy.. . .

"She's more of a hard-court player from the United States. She hits hard on both sides," Mauresmo said. "She's not really consistent, but she has a good serve."

pierce0415
May 26th, 2006, 08:47 PM
:tape:

UDACHi
May 26th, 2006, 08:51 PM
That's not very nice.

If she gets upset I'll :lol:.

E. Blackadder
May 26th, 2006, 08:57 PM
Shaughnessy did win Rabat and advanced to the 4TH round once at RG :)

I highly doubt she can take out Amelie though

Helen Lawson
May 26th, 2006, 09:00 PM
Amelie with a little bit of a 'tude and telling it like it is! I love it.

Anyway, she's right.

TonyP
May 26th, 2006, 09:01 PM
God, it isn't that bad of a statement. Yes, Shaughnessy could beat her, but that doesn't mean that what Amelie said was all that wrong. It isn't. She does have a history of being somewhat inconsistant.

griffin
May 26th, 2006, 09:06 PM
Shaughnessy is more of a hardcourt player and she is inconsistant.

It's not like Momo said she was nothing to worry about.

SelesFan70
May 26th, 2006, 09:07 PM
Uhm, Meghann is the epitome of inconsistency...

:rolleyes: @ thread starter

iPatty
May 26th, 2006, 09:09 PM
What's so wrong about that? In a way, she complimented her.

lolo21
May 26th, 2006, 09:11 PM
What's so wrong about that? In a way, she complimented her.

yeah,i don t really see what is bad in her comments

pcrtennis
May 26th, 2006, 09:19 PM
Hope Shaughnessy goes out there and smacks her off the court.

saint
May 26th, 2006, 09:22 PM
I don't think this is an unfair comment, she saying it how's she sees it.

anlavalle
May 26th, 2006, 09:27 PM
Amelie only said the truth, you people like the drama :tape:

Libertango
May 26th, 2006, 09:29 PM
Amelie will win so easily.

Pureracket
May 26th, 2006, 09:29 PM
Uhm, Meghann is the epitome of inconsistency...

:rolleyes: @ thread starter:lol: @ Selesfan being mad @ me for finding the hypocrisy of being a very gay (very right-wing)Republican. . . .LOL!

Anyway, . . .I actually like Amelie - alot. The only draws I'm really interested in, though, are hers and Venus'. I kinda cringed when I saw Meghan there because I know that Meghan is having a nice run.

I just hope Amelie doesn't let her guard down.

VivalaSeles
May 26th, 2006, 09:32 PM
. . . about M. Shaughnessy.. . .

"She's more of a hard-court player from the United States. She hits hard on both sides," Mauresmo said. "She's not really consistent, but she has a good serve."

Forgive me for pointing it out, BUT

Shaughnessy is indeed more of a hard-court player
She is indeed from the US
She indeed hits hard from both sides
She indeed has a good serve
and she is indeed inconsistent.

SO, a very fair assessment of Ms. Shaughnessy as a player by Amélie. What's wrong with it? :confused:

Pureracket
May 26th, 2006, 09:40 PM
SO, a very fair assessment of Ms. Shaughnessy as a player by Amélie. What's wrong with it? :confused:Actually, I don't guess anything is wrong with it. She is fairly inconsistent(unless she plays Venus).

I kinda paused @ the fact that Amelie said that because that "inconsistent" statement might be what motivates Meghan to focus more on the ball, hit with more depth, and to move her feet. In other words, I'm wondering if the statement could somehow "haunt" Amelie.

When I get a moment, I'll have to explain to you guys what irony is.;)

janko
May 26th, 2006, 09:41 PM
Nothing wrong with that

and Amélie has good reasons to say that

even if Meghann is a hard court player, Amélie is up 3-0 against her, always on hard court and when Meghann was in the top 20! :p

correction, Amélie is up 4-0, anyone do remember their first meeting??

Roland Garros junior 1996, final : Amélie Mauresmo def. Meghann Shaughnessy : 6/0, 6/4 :devil:

griffin
May 26th, 2006, 09:42 PM
When I get a moment, I'll have to explain to you guys what irony is.;)

I am familiar with irony. Maybe you should look up "making mountains out of molehills" ;)

Pureracket
May 26th, 2006, 09:49 PM
I am familiar with irony. Maybe you should look up "making mountains out of molehills" ;)How so? I think people kinda assumed in this thread I'm against Amelie when I'm not. Just because I'm a bigger fan of the woman who's going to actually win the tournament this year, Venus Williams, doesn't mean I can't keep my fingers crossed about Amelie.;)

Miss griff, stop acting like you own MoMo. . ..lol!

Drake1980
May 26th, 2006, 09:51 PM
Go Mauresmo!!

IceHock
May 26th, 2006, 09:52 PM
i don't think it' a bad quote???it' not like she says she sucks.

griffin
May 26th, 2006, 10:00 PM
Miss griff, stop acting like you own MoMo. . ..lol!

Mr 'racket, stop acting like you don't know where you are :p

Pureracket
May 26th, 2006, 10:01 PM
Mr 'racket, stop acting like you don't know where you are :p:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

LH2HBH
May 26th, 2006, 10:06 PM
It's perfectly OK to say this. It's so refreshing when players are honest about their opinions and about their opponents!

TonyP
May 26th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Know what is interesting? This is the kind of comment that used to get Hingis in so much trouble with some people. Nothing terrirble is said, but the idea that anyone would comment on someone else's game used to be perceived as being impolite. So, if a player were asked, "Who would you rather face in your next round?" rather than ever giving a straight answer, most players would say "They'll both be tough." When in reality, they were thinking "God, I hope its_______ because I am going to just kill her."

But last week in Rome, during the Hingis/Venus match, commentator Kat Adams said that Safina was probably watching and probably hoping Venus would win, because her game matches up far better with Venus' game than with Hingis, who does all kind of things to get Safina out of her rhythm and that is exactly what wound up happing.

VivalaSeles
May 26th, 2006, 11:35 PM
Know what is interesting? This is the kind of comment that used to get Hingis in so much trouble with some people.

Oh P-L-E-A-S-E !!! Amélie is not saying Meghann is fat, old or washed-out. Comparing Amélie's comments to some of the old comments Martina made is like comparing San Marino to China.

hablo
May 31st, 2006, 12:45 AM
:ras:

PLP
May 31st, 2006, 12:57 AM
Know what is interesting? This is the kind of comment that used to get Hingis in so much trouble with some people. Nothing terrirble is said, but the idea that anyone would comment on someone else's game used to be perceived as being impolite. So, if a player were asked, "Who would you rather face in your next round?" rather than ever giving a straight answer, most players would say "They'll both be tough." When in reality, they were thinking "God, I hope its_______ because I am going to just kill her."

But last week in Rome, during the Hingis/Venus match, commentator Kat Adams said that Safina was probably watching and probably hoping Venus would win, because her game matches up far better with Venus' game than with Hingis, who does all kind of things to get Safina out of her rhythm and that is exactly what wound up happing.
Good point! Jounalists love putting negative spin on fairly innocent, logical quotes, such as this one by Momo...anyway guess it didn't come back to haunt her as she won it str8's

controlfreak
May 31st, 2006, 01:46 AM
just because it's honest/true, doesn't mean it's not impolite :ras:

Sam L
May 31st, 2006, 02:07 AM
Look who's arrogant now. :fiery:

bello
May 31st, 2006, 02:13 AM
Meghann is the epitome of inconsistency, and is more of a hard court player...even though she has had success on clay...she also has a good serve,

So all checks out to me..I think Meghann would agree with those statements also.

SAEKeithSerena
May 31st, 2006, 02:18 AM
well, she's right......