PDA

View Full Version : Roland Garros!!!

Meeek
May 26th, 2006, 03:29 PM
The draw is out and Dinara plays Vera Zvonareva in the first round.
Head to head is 2-1 for Dinara, winning their last encounter in Charleston not too long ago, in straight sets.
If she manages to get to round 2, she will face either Hana Sromova or Roberta Vinci.

Dinara's quarter:

SHARAPOVA, Maria RUS [4] vs. WASHINGTON, Mashona USA
BENESOVA, Iveta CZE vs. PARMENTIER, Pauline FRA (W)
MOLIK, Alicia AUS (W) vs. SERRA ZANETTI, Antonella ITA
QUALIFIER (Q) vs. SAFAROVA, Lucie CZE [28]
SREBOTNIK, Katarina SLO [24] vs. SMASHNOVA, Anna ISR
KOSTANIC, Jelena CRO vs. HARKLEROAD, Ashley USA
SROMOVA, Hana CZE vs. VINCI, Roberta ITA
ZVONAREVA, Vera RUS vs. SAFINA, Dinara RUS [14]
SCHIAVONE, Francesca ITA [9] vs. BONDARENKO, Alona UKR
VIERIN, Nathalie ITA vs. MULLER, Martina GER
QUALIFIER (Q) vs. QUALIFIER (Q)
MATTEK, Bethanie USA vs. PENNETTA, Flavia ITA [17]
CHAKVETADZE, Anna RUS [27] vs. QUALIFIER (Q)
LI, Na CHN vs. FRAZIER, Amy USA
PARRA SANTONJA, Arantxa ESP vs. SANTANGELO, Mara ITA
GRANVILLE, Laura USA vs. KUZNETSOVA, Svetlana RUS [8]

Full draw to be viewed here: http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/5079/rgdraw4rw.th.jpg (http://img147.imageshack.us/my.php?image=rgdraw4rw.jpg)

:bounce: Go get 'm Dinara!!!! :rocker2:

Meeek
May 26th, 2006, 07:32 PM
Dinara gets the first match on Chartier on Sunday, starting at 11 am!
:woohoo: for scheduling it on Sunday instead of Monday :D

maryc
May 26th, 2006, 07:50 PM
Wasn't it Dinara who said (in an interview) that she didn't
mind playing on the first Sunday? Then she gets two days off?

Mary

~|Naomi|~
May 27th, 2006, 01:00 AM
First match on Chatrier for the tournament, that is an honour:)
I hope aussie tv show it but I think they will probably continue with the trend of showing men so it will be robredo for me:rolleyes:

myxomatosis
May 28th, 2006, 04:38 AM
First match on Chatrier for the tournament, that is an honour:)
I hope aussie tv show it but I think they will probably continue with the trend of showing men so it will be robredo for me:rolleyes:Yeah somehow I doubt they'll show it here either. :mad:
All well, Dinara will just have to get into the second week so that they will show her for sure!

Meeek
May 28th, 2006, 11:00 AM
:woohoo: She defeated Vera Zvonareva 6-3 7-5 :banana:
Well done Dina!!! :yeah:
First player into the 2nd round!
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d82/cosmicmeek/d2d6b458-96a4-4764-89cf-17ea55604b9.jpg

myxomatosis
May 28th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Yeah Dina! :woohoo:

Princess Sarah.
May 28th, 2006, 11:34 AM
WOOOOOHOOOO!!! I think she has a great chance to get into the quarters

Meeek
May 28th, 2006, 11:39 AM
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d82/cosmicmeek/rg2.jpg

~|Naomi|~
May 28th, 2006, 11:42 AM
I saw the match. Dinara played solidly, she will need to go up to another level to keep going in RG but she did what she had to do and got through round 1. Dinara has never played well in slams, so it was a good solid start and hopefully now the nerves will decrease.

You can see she has confidence at the moment though. She didn't panic when she was 1-3 and 2-4 down in the 2nd set or when she was broken the first time she served for it.

Meeek
May 28th, 2006, 11:43 AM
WOOOOOHOOOO!!! I think she has a great chance to get into the quarters

Yeah me too. Fingers crossed :cool:

~|Naomi|~
May 28th, 2006, 12:01 PM
Stats:)

1st serve 65% 47/72
Aces 1
DFs 4
UE 35
Winners 30
Winning % on 1st serve 57%
Winning % on 2nd serve 44%
Receiving points won 33/62 53%
Break point conversions 6/8 75%
Net approaches won 11/13 85%
Total points won 71 (Dinara only won 8 more points)

~|Naomi|~
May 28th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Yeah me too. Fingers crossed :cool:

Dinara has to take it one match at a time. Grand slams are different ball games and Dinara has never produced her best in GSs. Dinara has a good draw but it is also tough. Maria is a great fighter and Safarova is also in there and she is 2-0 in H2H with Dinara.

Good Luck in round 2 Dinara. It will be either Vinci or Sromova.

myxomatosis
May 29th, 2006, 01:09 AM
WOOOOOHOOOO!!! I think she has a great chance to get into the quartersI think Dinara has a great chance of making it to the SF's. Look who's in her quarter - Sharapova and Kuznetsova. I would be (pleasantly) surprised if Maria even made it to the quarters and she just beat Svetlana in Rome, which should give her a lot of confidence going up against her.

Princess Sarah.
May 29th, 2006, 11:29 AM
YAY!!!!!!! GO Dinara! I really hope she does well it's her time imo!

Meeek
May 31st, 2006, 10:42 AM
She's on fire: 6-0 6-2 win over Sromova!! :woohoo:

First time ever to reach 3rd round in RG. :worship:

Princess Sarah.
May 31st, 2006, 11:40 AM
YAY!!!!! :dance: Dina is on fire! and now Nadia is out of the picture :sad: who knows ???

myxomatosis
May 31st, 2006, 02:20 PM
On ESPN Brad Gilbert said that soon Marat is going to be known as Dinara's older brother. :banana:
I think I'd rather have both Dinara and Marat playing awesomely (cut your hair Marat, maybe you'll start playing better!)

Nice win Dina! :bounce:

~|Naomi|~
May 31st, 2006, 02:45 PM
Keep on rocking Dinara:bounce:

maryc
May 31st, 2006, 04:36 PM
Fantastic!

Mary

myxomatosis
Jun 1st, 2006, 08:07 PM
What the? Dinara is playing on court 6 tomorrow. :fiery:
Ridiculous.

~|Naomi|~
Jun 2nd, 2006, 05:43 AM
What the? Dinara is playing on court 6 tomorrow. :fiery:
Ridiculous.

Yes but it is cause of the rain. Kim, Hingis and Dementieva are still to play their 2nd rounds. The schedule for Thursday was stupid, they put Kim up 5th on Lenglen she was never going to get on. They all command the bigger courts over Dinara at this stage. & of course Sharapova, Mauresmo and Venus are in action from Dinara's half.

myxomatosis
Jun 2nd, 2006, 11:21 AM
Yes I suppose you're right. But come on, at least court 3! :lol:

Princess Sarah.
Jun 2nd, 2006, 11:54 AM
damn straight! court 6 ooh in Nadal playing tonight
it's his birthday tomorrow you know
anyway back on topic Davai Dinara!

~|Naomi|~
Jun 2nd, 2006, 12:41 PM
Dinara has won the 1st set 6-3.
She was down a break early but fought back:)

Keep it up Dina:bounce:

~|Naomi|~
Jun 2nd, 2006, 01:27 PM
Dinara won 6-3 6-4.

4th round:bounce:

myxomatosis
Jun 2nd, 2006, 01:33 PM
Yeah! Great win for Dinara!
Next up Maria? :unsure:

Meeek
Jun 2nd, 2006, 03:02 PM
Probably Maria... she plays Alicia Molik, who just returned to the game after being out for a long time... as much as I'd love to see Alicia win (no offense ;) ), it will probably be Maria. But then again, Maria has not played her best here by far yet.

maryc
Jun 2nd, 2006, 04:08 PM
Davai Dinara!

Mary

Princess Sarah.
Jun 3rd, 2006, 09:02 AM
Davai Dinara u can do it!

KV
Jun 3rd, 2006, 08:54 PM
Looking forward to the battle with Masha. No worries about Dina's retrieving, think her forehand will be vital. Dina's able to counterpunch, needs a few forehand CC's.

Princess Sarah.
Jun 4th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Our Girl Is In The Quarters!!!!!!! Wooohooo She Did It!!!!

iced gem
Jun 4th, 2006, 12:09 PM
:woohoo: Well done Dinara!!!!!!!! :banana: :yeah:
Unbelievable comeback!

~|Naomi|~
Jun 4th, 2006, 12:35 PM
:worship: Good luck in the QF:bounce:

Meeek
Jun 4th, 2006, 12:36 PM
Bloody AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was already 'mourning' her loss and then she suddenly pulls this off!! :lol:
:worship: Great fight Dinara, fantastic!!!!

:woohoo:

~|Naomi|~
Jun 4th, 2006, 02:14 PM
SAFINA COMEBACK STUNS MARIA Dinara Safina came from 5-1 down in the final set to stun Maria Sharapova in an extraordinary match at the French Open on Sunday.

Safina was being totally outplayed having lost 10 of 12 games mid-match, but she reeled off the last six games to record a thrilling 7-5 2-6 7-5 win.

The delighted 14th seed, who reached the quarter-finals of a Grand Slam event for the first time in her career, admitted she had surprised even herself.

"It was an unexpected fightback," she said.

"I just did not want to leave the court and I started to play very well as from 5-1 in the third set.

"Then I took control, I tried to make her run and I am really glad it ended up with a victory for me. I was enjoying every point."

She also insisted she was not impressed by her rival.

"Maria was just another player for me," she added. "I don't mind who I am playing against. "I want to win every game I play on court."

Sharapova took a laid-back approach to her loss.

"At that point (5-1) I thought she played a pretty good service game, she had nothing to lose," she explained.

"At 5-2 the game opened up the door a little bit for her. She started to swing freely.

"That's just the way it goes. That's tennis."

Sharapova led 5-3 in the first set and served for it at 5-4 but missed her opportunity and was made to regret it.

Safina won the next two games as well to take the set 7-5 after 63 minutes of play.

Sharapova started the second set well, breaking in a tight opening game and then pulling away to level the match.

The former Wimbledon champion was dominating now, particularly on her own impressive serve, and a break in the opening game of the decider confirmed that.

Her shots were finding all areas, pulling her opponent all over Court Suzanne Langlen.

Safina seemed unable to stop the onslaught and it was soon 5-1.

Then, somehow, things began to change.

Safina began to find winners, while her opponent's level dropped just a little.

Five games in a row saw Safina move in front and suddenly, having already served for the match twice, the fourth seed found herself stepping up to the line needing to hold to stay in the tournament.

And she was unable to do so, Safina clinching an amazing win after two hours and 34 minutes.

She will next face another Russian, Svetlana Kuznetsova, in the quarter-finals.

Meanwhile, Sharapova remains confident of a decent showing at Wimbledon, despite her early exit in Paris.

"Just because I lost in the fourth round here does not mean I am all of a sudden not confident about winning Wimbledon again.

"My self-confidence is intact otherwise I don't know why I would step on the plane and go there."

http://www.sportinglife.com/tennis/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=tennis/06/06/04/manual_111513.html

UDACHi
Jun 4th, 2006, 04:10 PM
You know, the last 2 champs here have made amazing comebacks in the 4th round. ;)

Davai Dina. Great stuff.

myxomatosis
Jun 4th, 2006, 11:29 PM
Wow.
Dinara :worship: :worship: :worship:

Anik
Jun 5th, 2006, 03:15 PM
go Dinara :)

myxomatosis
Jun 5th, 2006, 09:53 PM
Dinara is playing tomorrow at the same time as the Venus-Vaidisova match.
That means I'm probably not going to get to see Dinara play. At least not live. :sad:

Princess Sarah.
Jun 5th, 2006, 11:12 PM
Your lucky you have any coverage at all! None on Aussie Free to Air

myxomatosis
Jun 6th, 2006, 12:09 AM
Really?? So you don't get to watch it at all? I thought tennis was pretty popular in Australia?

myxomatosis
Jun 6th, 2006, 11:54 AM
Dinara lost 7-6(5) 6-0 to Kuznetsova :sad: Kinda looks like she maybe had a bit of a meltdown in the second set after coming so close in the first.
Still, this was her best showing in a slam to date, so there's some positive here. :yeah:

Meeek
Jun 6th, 2006, 05:31 PM
Still, this was her best showing in a slam to date, so there's some positive here. :yeah:

Exactly! It's a bad loss, but all in all this is a great achievement. :worship:
Now, go rock 'm on grass Dinara!! I wish I could come and see her here in Holland at Ordina... :awww:

myxomatosis
Jun 6th, 2006, 06:41 PM
Why can't you go Meeek?

Meeek
Jun 6th, 2006, 08:42 PM
Why can't you go Meeek?

Exams... :mad:
Plus, prices are insane...

Princess Sarah.
Jun 7th, 2006, 01:03 PM
Great Achievement For Dina! She should be proud!