PDA

View Full Version : Possibly the best Grand Slam in a long time?

Ryan
May 26th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Ok, this is said a lot, and if it turns out to be wrong, feel free to bump this thread up! ;)

I just think that looking at the draw, this French Open has the potential to be amazing, and exactly what women's tennis needs. If Serena, Seles, and Capriati were playing, I'd be in an ecstasy-induced coma, but it's still pretty damn good. There's several tough first rounds, lots of potential for early upsets and struggles, and some mouth-watering later rounds! Matches to watch for:

Round 1:
(1) Amelie Mauresmo FRA vs Meghann Shaughnessy USA
(16) Nicole Vaidisova CZE vs Marta Domachowska POL
(19) Elena Likhovtseva RUS vs Karolina Sprem CRO
(7) Patty Schnyder SUI vs Michaella Krajicek NED
wc Alicia Molik AUS vs Antonella Serra-Zanetti ITA
(14) Dinara Safina RUS vs Vera Zvonareva RUS
(19) Ana Ivanovic SCG vs Samantha Stosur AUS
(10) Anastasia Myskina RUS vs Sania Mirza IND
(23) Tatiana Golovin FRA vs Jie Zheng CHN

3rd round:
Venus vs. Likhovtseva/Sprem
Sharapova vs. Safarova
Schiavone vs. Pennetta
Chakvetadze vs. Kuznetsova
Ivanovic vs. Myskina/Mirza
ALG vs. Kirilenko
Hingis vs. Golovin

4th round:
Mauresmo vs. Vaidisova
Venus vs. Schnyder
Sharapova/Safarova vs. Safina/Zvonareva
Schiavone/Pennetta vs. Kuznetsova
Henin-Hardenne vs. Myskina/Mirza/Ivanovic
ALG/Kirilenko vs. Petrova
Dementieva vs. Hingis
Hantuchova vs. Clijsters

QF:
Mauresmo vs. Venus/Schnyder
Sharapova/Safina vs. Kuznetsova/Schiavone
Henin-Hardenne/Myskina/Ivanovic vs. Petrova/ALG
Hingis/Dementieva vs. Clijsters

I won't go further, but there's potential for IMO the best QF's in a long time:

Mauresmo vs. Venus
Sharapova vs. Kuznetsova
Henin-Hardenne vs. Petrova
Hingis vs. Clijsters

Ok, maybe not the greatest, but if these 8 make the QF's, there'll be 18 slams between them, and 6 former/current #1's.

Il Primo!
May 26th, 2006, 03:23 PM
Remember the latest Australian?Then remember the result?Plus,Mary,Lindsay and Serena aren't in the place so...

santhuruu
May 26th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Definetely No!!!

Kart
May 26th, 2006, 03:33 PM
This thread title wouldn't have anything to do with the recent Italian open champion being in the draw would it Ryan ? :p

I agree it's got a lot of potential :D - although the French has been a bit of a disappointment for me the last few years.

LoveFifteen
May 26th, 2006, 03:39 PM
The Australian Open was set to be awesome, too, and it really, really sucked ... except for Hingis' return and the JHH v Sharapova match ... and honestly that wasn't even that good.

I am hoping the French will be awesome, but it could be another dud.

vogus
May 26th, 2006, 03:48 PM
on paper, it looks like a good chance of having four of the very best players in the semi's (which was definitely not the case in '04 and '05). But we'll just have to wait and see.

Ryan
May 26th, 2006, 03:56 PM
Remember the latest Australian?Then remember the result?Plus,Mary,Lindsay and Serena aren't in the place so...

I remember, and anything can happen. The Quarters at that tourney looked great, but the end result was rather boring. I think this tourney has just as much potential though, and an even better chance of producing.

Ryan
May 26th, 2006, 03:56 PM
This thread title wouldn't have anything to do with the recent Italian open champion being in the draw would it Ryan ? :p

I agree it's got a lot of potential :D - although the French has been a bit of a disappointment for me the last few years.

Hmm, kinda.:p But no matter who wins, I was just surprised at how interested I was in this draw, and how many good matches it could produce.